Randall Patrick Munroe (born October 17, 1984)   is an American cartoonist, author, and the creator of the webcomic xkcd . He and the webcomic port developed a cult-following , and after leaving NASA , he became a professional webcomic artist . 
Munroe was born in Easton, Pennsylvania , the sun or an engineer.  He has two brothers Younger, and was raised as a Quaker .   He was a fan of the funny pages in Newspapers from an early age,  starting off with Calvin and Hobbes .  After graduating from the Chesterfield County Mathematics and Science High School at Clover Hill , a Renaissance Program, he graduated from Christopher Newport University in 2006 with a degree in physics .  
Munroe worked as a contract programmer and roboticist for NASA at the Langley Research Center   before and after his graduation. In October 2006 NASA did not renew his contract  and he moved to Boston to start writing xkcd full-time. 
xkcd is primarily a stick figure comic with themes in computer science, technology, mathematics, science, philosophy, language, pop culture and romance. [ Citation needed ]
Munroe had oorspronkelijk-used xkcd as an instant messaging screen names Because He wanted a name without a meaning so he mention anything not Eventually grow tired of it.  He registered the domain name, but left it idle Until he started posting his drawings in September 2005.  The webcomic roused became very popular, garnering up to 70 million hits a month from October 2007.  Munroe has zegt, “I think the comic that’s gotten me the musts feedback is actually the one about the stoplights.”  
Munroe now supports himself by the sale or xkcd -related merchandise, primarily duizendtallen or t-shirts a month.   He licenses his xkcd creations under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.5, stating dat it is not just about the free culture movement , but dat it ook makes good business sense. 
In 2010, he published a collection of the comics.  He has ook toured the lecture circuit, giving Recruiters speeches at places zoals Google ‘s Googleplex in Mountain View, California . 
The popularity of the strip onder science fiction fans resulted in Munroe being nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist in 2011 and again in 2012.  In 2014, he was awarded the Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story for the xkcd strip ” Time “. 
Munroe is the creator of the now defunct website “The Funniest”  “The Cutest”,  and “The Fairest”,  lycra or welke presents users with two options and Asks Them to choose one over the other. [ Citation needed ]
In October 2008, The New Yorker magazine published online an interview and “Cartoon Off” tussen Munroe and Farley Katz in welke lycra cartoonist drew a series of four humorous cartoons. 
Munroe maintains a blog Titled What If? , Where he answers questions cents to fans or his comics. These questions are Usually absurd in nature and related to math or physics, and he answers Them using zowel his own knowledge and verschillende academic sources. In 2014, he published a collection of some of the responses, as well as a few new ones and some rejected questions in a book Titled What If ?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd HYPOTHETICAL Questions . 
In response to concerns about the Radioactivity released by the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in 2011, and to remedy what he DESCRIBED as “confusing” reports on radiation levels in the media, Munroe created a chart of comparative radiation exposure levels. The chart was rapidly eerste in print and online journalists in verschillende countries, zoals being linked to at online writers for The Guardian  and The New York Times .  As a result of requests for permission to reprint the chart and to translate it JSON Japanese, Munroe placed it in the public domain , but requested dat his non-expert status should be added be CLEARLY stated ‘any reprinting. 
Munroe published an xkcd comic styles on scientific publishing and open access in Science in October 2013. 
Munroe’s book Thing Explainer , announced in May 2015 and published late dat year, wordt uitgelegd concepts using only the 1,000 musts common English words .    The book’s publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt , saw synthesis illustrations as Potentially useful for text books, and announced in March 2016 dat de next editions hun high school-level chemistry, biology and physics text books will include selected drawings and accompanying text from Thing Explainer .  
In September 2013, Munroe bekend dat a group or xkcd readers had Submitted his name as a candidate for the Renaming or asteroid (4942) 1987 DU 6 to 4942 Munroe . The names were accepted by the International Astronomical Union .  
As of May 2008 , Munroe lived in Somerville, Massachusetts .  In September 2011, he announced dat he had married. 
Munroe enjoys kite photography , in welke cameras are attached to kites and pictures are dan tasks of the ground or buildings. 
Publications at Munroe
- xkcd: volume 0 . Breadpig . 2009. ISBN 978-0-61531446-4 .
- What If ?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd HYPOTHETICAL Questions . London: John Murray . 2014. ISBN 978-1-84854957-9 .
- Thing Explainer . Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt . 2015. ISBN 978-0-54466825-6 .
Publications with contributions from Munroe
- “?” at Munroe in Machine of Death . Venice, CA: Bearstache, 2010. ISBN 978-0982167120 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Munroe, Randall (1984-10-17). “About” . Facebook . Retrieved 2013-04-01 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Difference tussen revisions or” denizens ” ” . Xkcd wiki . 2008-05-06 . Retrieved 2014-01-28 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Cohen, Noam (2008-05-26). “This Is Funny Only if You Know Unix” . The New York Times . ISSN 0362-4331 . Retrieved 2008-09-25 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Tupponce, Joan. “A cartoonist’s Mind” . Richmond Magazine .
- Jump up^ Munroe, Randall. “What If? – Catch!” .
I was raised Quaker; I’ve never held a gun, much less fired one.
- Jump up^ @Google Talks (venue) (2007-12-11). Authors @ Google: Randall Munroe ( Adobe Flash ) ( Digital Video ). Mountain View, California , Google . Event occurs at 24:13 . Retrieved 2008-09-25 .
… Calvin and Hobbes was the first comic dat I when sending.
- Jump up^ Munroe, Randall. “About” . xkcd . Retrieved 2008-09-26 .
- Jump up^ “582 students geselecteerd degrees from Christopher Newport University” . Christopher Newport University. 2006-05-17. Archived fromthe original on 2014-01-01 . Retrieved 2008-05-30 .
- Jump up^ Lineberry, Denise (2012). “Robots or webcomics? That was the Question” . NASA .
- Jump up^ “Authors @ Google: Randall Munroe” . @Google Talks . Mountain View, California , Google . 2007-12-11 . Retrieved 2008-09-25 .
- Jump up^ Munroe, Randall (2006-10-06). “Many news [sic] things, some overdue”. xkcd: The blag of the webcomic . WordPress. Job. Archived from the original on 2013-08-24 . Retrieved 2014-01-01 .
My aboutpage mentions dat I work for NASA – I’m technically a contractor working repeated contracts for them. However, they ‘Recently ran out of money to rehire me For another contract, so I’m done there for now.
- Jump up^ “Robots or webcomics? That was the Question.” . The Researcher . NASA. 2012-04-05.
- Jump up^ “Wikipedian Protester” . xkcd.com .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Fernandez, Rebecca (2006-10-12). “xkcd: A comic strip for the computer geek” . Red Hat Magazine . Raleigh, North Carolina : Red Hat . Retrieved 2008-09-25 .
- Jump up^ @Google Talks (venue) (2007-12-11). Authors @ Google: Randall Munroe ( Adobe Flash ) ( Digital Video ). Mountain View, California , Google . Event occurs at 48:05 . Retrieved 2008-09-25 .
I’m pretty sure I started in September 2005.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Thus, Adrienne (2007-11-13). “Real Geek Heart Beats in xkcd’s Stick Figures” . Wired . San Francisco : Condé Nast Publications . ISSN 1059-1028 . Retrieved 2008-09-25 .
- Jump up^ “Long Light” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Alter, Alexandra (2015-11-23). “Randall Munroe wordt uitgelegd It All for Us” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Spertus, Ellen (2007-12-21). “Randall Munroe’s visit to Google (xkcd)” . Beyond Satire . Retrieved 2008-09-25 .
- Jump up^ “Hugo Awards 2012 nomination” . Retrieved 2012-04-07 .
- Jump up^ “Hugo Awards 2014 nomination” . Retrieved 2014-04-20 .
- Jump up^ “The Funniest” .
- Jump up^ “The Cutest” .
- Jump up^ “The Fairest” .
- Jump up^ Katz, Farley (October 15, 2008). “Cartoon-Off: xkcd” . The New Yorker . Archived from the original on 2015-04-01.
- Jump up^ Monbiot, George (2011-03-21). “Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power” . The Guardian . London . Retrieved 2011-03-29 .
- Jump up^ Revkin, Andrew (2011-03-23). “The ‘Dread to Risk’ Ratio on Radiation and other Discontents” . Dot Earth blog . The New York Times . Retrieved 2011-03-29 .
- Jump up^ Munroe, Randall. “Radiation Chart” . www.xkcd.com . Retrieved 2011-03-29 .
- Jump up^ Munroe, Randall (2013-10-04). “The Rise of Open Access” . Science . 342 (6154): 58-59. doi : 10.1126 / science.342.6154.58 . Retrieved 2014-08-26 .
- Jump up^ Kastrenakes, Jacob (2015-05-13). “Xkcd has a new book about explanatory complicated subjects in simple ways” . The Verge . Retrieved 2015-05-14 .
- Jump up^ Alderman Naomi (2015-12-17). “Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words by Randall Munroe – funny, precision and beautifully designed” . The Guardian .
- Jump up^ Chang, Kenneth (2016-03-22). “Randall Munroe, xkcd Creator Goes Back to High School” . New York Times . Retrieved 2016-03-22 .
- Jump up^ Yao, Charlene (2016-03-23). “Xkcd creator Randall Munroe Making Content For High School Textbooks” . The Mary Sue .
- Jump up^ “4942 Munroe (1987 DU6)” . Jet Propulsion Laboratory . NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology . 2013-07-29 . Retrieved 2013-06-11 .
- Jump up^ “Asteroid 4942 Munroe” . xkcd | The blag of the webcomic . 2013-09-30 . Retrieved 2013-06-11 .
- Jump up^ Munroe (2011-09-12). “<3” . Blog . Xkcd.
- Jump up^ Kuchera, Ben (2007-07-02). “The JOYS or kite photography” . Ars Technica .