Roger Luke DuBois (born September 10, 1975, Morristown, New Jersey , United States) is an American composer , performer , conceptual new media artist , programmer , record producer and pedagogue based in New York City .
DuBois was born in New Jersey, moving at age 11 to London , England, where he attended the American School in London ,  voordat moving to New York in 1993 to attend Columbia University . DuBois holds both a master’s (1999) and a doctorate (2003) in music composition, from Columbia (Studying primarily with Fred Lerdahl and Jonathan Kramer ), and worked as a staff researcher at Columbia’s Computer Music Center Until 2008. He has taught interactive music and video performance at a number of institutions, zoals Columbia, Princeton University , the School of Visual Arts , and the Music Technology and interactive telecommunications programs at New York University . In Fall 2008 he Began teaching as a full-time professor at the NYU School of Tandon Engineering , where he Currently Serves as co-director of the Integrated Digital Media program and director of the Brooklyn Experimental Media Center; his academic position consists of a triple appointment tussen de Engineering School, Music Technology, and ITP. As a graduate student at Columbia he was a contributor to Real-Time Cmix . Since 2000 he has worked for Cycling ’74 on Max / MSP / Jitter .
DuBois has collaborated with a wide range of artists and musicians, zoals Elliott Sharp , Paul D. Miller , Todd Reynolds , Toni Dove , Chris Mann , Michael Joaquin Grey , Matthew Ritchie , Eric Singer , Bora Yoon , and Leroy Jenkins . He was a founding member of the Freight Elevator Quartet , and has produktie records for Bang on a Can composer Michael Gordon on the Nonesuch label. His music geïntegreerd real-time performer-Computer Interaction with algorithmic methodologies repurposed from other areas, must notably formal grammars zoals L-systems . His research JSON issues or musical time revolve around a technique called time-lapse phonography if-used in his piece Billboard.   His instrumental writing, like his artwork is of or in based on techniques derived from stochastic music and data mining , using Metaphors and information from cultural topics as source material, but with a postmodern STYLISTIC approach, as in the string quartet hard Data , a six-movement sonification, welke, hoewel de basing zijn musical structures on the casualty stream of the Iraq War , Borrows Heavily from The instrumental writing or Stravinsky , Messiaen , Xenakis , and Crumb . 
As a conceptual artist, DuBois takes on verschillende topics in American culture and places Them under a computational microscope attempting to raise issues related to information theory , perception of time , canonicity, and gaze . For example, his three pieces on gestalt media Academy , Billboard , and Play , look at three Iconic cultural “canons” in American popular culture (the Academy Awards , the Billboard Hot 100 , and Playboy magazine’s Playmate of the Month ).  His piece Hindsight is Always 20/20 , based on a statistical analysis of presidential State of the Union addresses, uses computational Means as a lens into tje politics or political rhetoric .  Fashionably Late For The relationship , his feature-length collaboration with performance artist Lian Amaris , uses the radical time-compression or a 72-hour film of a performance to Deconstruct romantic obsession.  For his latest large-scale artwork, A More Perfect Union , DuBois joined 21 différent online dating sites and constructed a census of the United States based on an analysis of the profiles of 19 million single Americans; shown as a series of colored and re-maps, key, the work Investigates the lexicon of American self-identity in the 21st Century. 
His work is represented in bitforms gallery in New York City and has exhibited leg, waaronder at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival and the 2008 Democratic National Convention . In January, 2014, R. Luke DuBois-Now opened at the Ringling Museum of Art . This first solo museum exhibition,  organized by curator Matthew McLendon , surveyed DuBois’ output over the prior decade, and included performance, video, public installation, and generatieve works.  The exhibition went on to the Orange County Museum of Art de volgende year and the Bowdoin College Museum of Art in 2016. In January 2016 Hyperallergic named R. Luke DuBois-Now one of the top 15 exhibitions in the United States. 
Prior to Becoming a well Berninahaus laptop musician , DuBois did musts or his Improvisation and performance on Buchla and Serge modular synthesizers .
In 2013, DuBois was Awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters at GOUCHER College .  He was named the inaugural artist for the Times Square Residency at the Crossroads program  in the Summer of 2015 and a speaker for TED 2016. 
DuBois is the younger brother of photographer Doug DuBois .
- Billboard (2005)
- Play (2006)
- Academy (2006)
- Fashionably Late For The relationship (with Lian Amaris, 2007) 
- Hindsight is Always 20/20 (2008) 
- SSB (with Lesley Flanigan, 2008)
- Hard Data] (2009) 
- A Year in MP3s (2009-2010) 
- Moments of Inertia (with Todd Reynolds, 2010) 
- A More Perfect Union (2011) 
- The Marigny Parade (2011) 
- Vertical Music (2012) 
- Sergey Brin and Larry Page (2013)
- Circus Sarasota (2014)
- Take a Bullet For This City (2014)
- The Freight Elevator Quartet (Electronic Music Foundation, 1997)
- The Freight Elevator Quartet’s Jungle Album (Electronic Music Foundation, 1998)
- DJ Spooky vs. the Freight Elevator Quartet: File Under Futurism (Caipirinha / Sire, 1999)
- This Is Jungle Sky Vol 6: Funk (Compilation, Liquid Sky Music, 1999)
- File Under Futurism EP (with DJ Spooky and A Guy Called Gerald ) (Caipirinha / Sire, 1999)
- Open Ends (Compilation, Museum Music, 2000)
- The Freight Elevator Quartet Becoming Transparent (Caipirinha / Sire, 2000)
- Exasperation EP (with JMD, Kit Clayton , Datach’i) (Caipirinha / Sire, 2000)
- State of the Union 2001 (Compilation, Electronic Music Foundation, 2001)
- Radiolaria (Elliott Sharp, Zoar Music, 2001)
- The Freight Elevator Quartet Fix it in post (Cycling’74 Music, 2001)
- Decasia (Michael Gordon, Cantaloupe Music, 2002)
- Light Is Calling (Michael Gordon, Nonesuch, 2004)
- Messiah Remix (Cantaloupe Music, 2004)
- Timelapse (Cantaloupe Music, 2006)
- The Marigny Parade (Cantaloupe Music, 2011)
- Sunken Cathedral (Bora Yoon, Innova, 2014)
- Jump up^ Marsha Vdovin (2007). “A Video and Text Interview with Luke DuBois, educator and musician” . Cycling’74 . Retrieved February 4, 2013 .
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ Alexander Gelfand (2007). “The Sounds of Science” . The Walrus . Retrieved June 18, 2011 .
- Jump up^ R. Luke DuBois (2008). “Hard Data” (PDF) . Program notes . Retrieved April 11, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Interview (2006). “Sundance Features” . The Reeler . Retrieved January 23, 2008 .
- Jump up^ The UnConvention Blog (2008). “Hindsight is Always 20/20” . The UnConvention . Retrieved January 23, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Campbell Robertson (July 9, 2007). “She’s Got a Date and Only 72 Hours to Prepare” . The New York Times . Retrieved January 23, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Eric Molinsky (April 8, 2011). “A More Perfect Union” . Studio 360 / Public Radio International . Retrieved April 9, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Ringling Museum (May 5, 2014). “R. Luke DuBois – Now” . Ringling Museum . Retrieved April 1, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Hilarie M. Sheets (January 9, 2014). “Portraits from clips and Bytes” . The New York Times . Retrieved April 1, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Vartanian, Hrag (29 December 2016). “Best of 2016: Our Top 15 Exhibitions Across the United States” . Hyperallergic . Retrieved 9 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ GOUCHER College Staff (August 4, 2013). “2013 Graduate Programs COMMENCEMENT” . GOUCHER College . Retrieved September 18, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Times Square Arts (May 15, 2015). “Bringing Artists Back to Times Square” . Times Square Alliance . Retrieved April 1, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “R. Luke DuBois’ . ted.com . Retrieved 19 May 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Fashionably Late For The Relationship” . Fashionably Late For The Relationship . Retrieved 2012-10-31 .
- Jump up^ “Hindsight is 20/20 ALWAYS” . Hindsight is 20/20 ALWAYS . Retrieved 2012-10-31 .
- Jump up^ “hard data” . Turbulence.org . Retrieved 2012-10-31 .
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ “Moments Of Inertia” . Turbulence.org . Retrieved 2012-10-31 .
- Jump up^ “A More Perfect Union” . Perfect.lukedubois.com . Retrieved 2012-10-31 .
- Jump up^ “The Marigny Parade” . The Marigny Parade . Retrieved 2012-10-31 .
- Jump up^ from R. Luke DuBois Plus 5 months ago (2012-05-03). “Vertical Music on Vimeo” . Vimeo.com . Retrieved 2012-10-31 .