Peter James Donnelly , FRS FMedSci (born 15 May 1959) is an Australian mathematician and Professor of Statistical Science at the University of Oxford . He is a specialist in toegepast probability and has made contributions to coalescent theory . His research group at Oxford has an international reputation for the development of statistical methodology to analyseren genetic data.
Background, family and education
Donnelly was born and raised in Brisbane, Queensland, the sun or financial adviser, economic theorist and author Austin Donnelly  and Sheila Donnelly. He is the brother of Sharon Donnelly and whether eminent Australian financier, funds manager and company director Melda Donnelly.  He was educated at St. Joseph’s Christian Brothers College, Gregory Terrace , the University of Queensland and Balliol College, Oxford .
When elected to a chair at Queen Mary College, London in 1988 Donnelly was only 29,  and Possibly the youngest Professor in Great Britain. He held a chair at the University of Chicago (1994-96) and was head of the Department of Statistics at the University of Oxford from 1996 to 2001. Since 2007, he has leg Director Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics (WTCHG) in Oxford, where he is Currently based. He is a fellow at St Anne’s College, Oxford .
Many leading statistical geneticists worked with Donnelly as young researchers waaronder David Balding , Carsten Wiuf , Matthew Stephens and Jonathan Pritchard . One area in welke he has a leading reputation in the interpretation of DNA evidence. He has ActEd as an expert witness on forensic science in criminal trials. 
He is noted for his collaborative work with biologists . He has leg Heavily involved in a number of large scale projects, zoals the International HapMap Project  and the Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium, a genome-wide association studies . 
Awards and honors
Donnelly was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2006  and ook elected as a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences in 2008. 
Other significant awards and honors port included: 
- 1980 University Medal, University of Queensland
- 1980-1983 Rhodes Scholarship
- 1984-1985 University of Wales Research Fellowship
- 1988 elected Ordinary Member of the International Statistical Institute
- 1990 Special Invited Lecturer, Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- 1990-1995 SERC Advanced Fellowship
- 1995 elected a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- 1999 elected Honorary Fellow, Institute of Actuaries
- 2000 Bernoulli Lecturer, 5th World Congress of the Bernoulli Society
- 2001 Forum Lecturer, European Meeting of Statisticians
- 2002 Editor’s Invited Paper, Statistical Society of Australia
- 2002 Mitchell Prize, of the American Statistical Association and ISBA
- 2004 Guy Medal in Silver, Royal Statistical Society
- 2007 Medallion Lecturer, Institute of Mathematical Statistics .
- 2007 The main paper from the Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium, welke Donnelly chaired, won verschillende awards, zoals The Lancet ‘s Paper of the Year, Scientific American ‘s Research Leader of the Year, the Amadeus Prize, and one of Nature’s Editor’s Picks for 2007.
- 2009 Awarded the Weldon Memorial Prize 
- ^ Jump up to:a b “DPhil Students 1980-1989” (PDF) . Oxford University Statistics . Retrieved 3 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ Way, Nicholas (2007), The Sydney Morning Herald , 6 September 2007 Obituaryhttp://www.smh.com.au/news/obituaries/foe-to-fund-managers-and-tireless-campaigner-for -Small-investors / 2007/09/05 / 1188783315224.html
- Jump up^ Bloomberg Business Week Company Overview of Victorian Funds Management Corporation; Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Jump up^ Peter Donnelly’s resume
- Jump up^ Lynch, Michael; Cole, Simon A .; McNally, Ruth; Jordan, Kathleen (2010), Truth Machine: The Contentious History of DNA Fingerprinting , University of Chicago Press, p. 193, ISBN 9780226498089 .
- Jump up^ Secko David (26 October 2005), “Phase I or HapMap Complete: International consortium publiceert must uitgebreid catalog of human genetic variation to date” , The Scientist .
- Jump up^ “List of Contributing Investigators: Membership or Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium 2” , Ophthalmology , retrieved 2014-09-18 .
- Jump up^ Professor Donnelly elected Fellow of the Royal Society , St. Anne’s College, University of Oxford, 1 June 2006
- Jump up^ New Fellows elected to Academy of Medical Sciences , University of Oxford, 2 May 2008.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Department of Statistics, University of Oxford, Academic Staff Peter Donnelly http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/people/academic_staff/peter_donnelly/cv