Paul Stamets Edward (born July 17, 1955) is an American mycologist , author and lawyer or bioremediatie and medicinal mushrooms . 
Stamets was born in Columbiana, Ohio a small town near Youngstown , Ohio, a town he describes as bible belt and ultra-conservative, with an older brother John  and siblings Bill, Lilly and North.  He attended Mercersburg Academy in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania from 1969 to 1973, Kenyon College in 1974-when he was 19,  and graduated from Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington with a bachelor’s degree in 1979. Training in the martial arts since a child, he RECEIVED a black belt in Taekwon Do in 1979. in 1994, he RECEIVED a black belt in HwaRang Thu.     
Paul Stamets credits his late brother John, a professional photographer and Lecturer, with being his mycologie influence. Paul states, “He inspired me on my path into tje field or mycologie, after his travels to Mexico and Colombia in pursuit of magic mushrooms” in the 1970s. 
Research and advocacy
Stamets is on the editorial board of the International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms ( Begell House ). [ Citation needed ] He is an advisor to the Program for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona College of Medicine . [ Citation needed ] He was involved in two National Institutes of Health -funded clinical studies on cancer and HIV Treatments using mushrooms as adjunct therapies. [ Citation needed ] He earned nine patents on the Antiviral , pesticidal , and remedial properties of mushroom mycelia . A strong advocate of PRESERVING biodiversity , Stamets supports research into tje role of mushrooms for ecological restoration .
Stamets is an advocate of the Permaculture system or growing, and considers fungiculture a Valuable but underutilized aspect of Permaculture. He is interested in the use of colors in bioremediatie , a process he terms mycoremediation . [ Citation needed ]
- US patent # 9,474,776. “Integrative Fungal Solutions for Protecting Bees”. October 2016.
- US patent # 9,399,050. “Controlling insects and Arthropoda using preconidial mycelia and extracts or preconidial mycelium from entomopathogenic fungi” July, 2016.
- US patent # 8,753,656. “Compositions for controlling disease vectors from insects and Arthropoda using preconidial mycelia and extracts or preconidial mycelium from entomopathogenic fungi.” June, 2014.
- US patent # 8,765,138. “Antiviral and ANTIBACTERIAL activity from medicinal mushrooms.” 2014
- US patent # 8,501,207. “Mycoattractants and mycopesticides.” 2013
- US patent # 7,951,389. “Mycoattractants and mycopesticides.” 2011
- US patent # 7,951,388. “Mycoattractants and mycopesticides.” 2011
- US patent # 7,575,764. “Compositions Comprising Hypsizygus ulmarius extract.” (With A. Weil and C. Chen) in 2009.
- Australian Patent # 2001296679. “Mycoattractants and mycopesticides.” (Ceased) 2008
- US patent # 7,122,176. “Mycoattractants and mycopesticides.” 2006
- US patent # 6,660,290. “Mycopesticides.” 2006
Stamets was the recipient of the “Bioneers Award” from The Collective Heritage Institute in 1998,   as well as the “Founder of a New Northwest Award” from the Pacific Rim Association of Resource Conservation and Development Councils in 1999. He was named one of Utne Reader’s “50 Visionaries Who are Changing Your World” in hun November December 2008 issue. [ Citation needed ] In February 2010, Paul RECEIVED the President’s Award from the Society for Ecological Restoration: Northwest Chapter, in recognition of his contributions to Ecological Restoration. His work was featured in the documentary film The 11th Hour .  He’s ook leg featured in the eco-documentary film Dirt! The Movie  and 2012: Time for Change . 
In 2008, he delivered a TED talk , “Paul Stamets on 6 Ways Mushrooms Can Save the World”. 
In October 2011, he delivered a TEDMED talk : “Is the world ready for a Medical Mushroom Mystery Tour?” 
On June 30, 2012, have RECEIVED an honorary Doctorate of Science (D.Sc.) degree from the National University of Natural Medicine , Portland, Oregon . 
In January 2014, he RECEIVED an award for “Contributions to Amateur Mycology” from the North American Mycological Association . 
On June 10, 2014, Stamets was honored as an Opus Ambassador by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). 
On July 15, 2015, Stamets became the first-ever recipient of the Mycological Society of America ‘s Gordon and Tina Wasson Award. Named after the late ethnomycologists, the award is intended “to herkennen people with non-traditional academic Backgrounds who harbor made outstanding contributions to the field or mycologie, or who harbor widely Transmitted significant scientific or Aesthetic knowledge about fungi to the general public.” [ 21]
- Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World (2005, ISBN 1-58008-579-2 )
- MycoMedicinals: An Informational Treatise on Mushrooms (1999, ISBN 0-9637971-9-0 )
- Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World (1996, ISBN 0-89815-839-7 )
- Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms (1996, ISBN 1-58008-175-4 )
- Mushroom cultivator, The (1983, ISBN 0-9610798-0-0 )
- Psilocybe Mushrooms & Their Allies (1978), Homestead Book Company , ISBN 0-930180-03-8
In popular culture
Anthony Rapp ‘s character on Star Trek: Discovery , Lieutenant Stamets, was named in honor of Stamets (and have died a mycologist).
- Jump up^ Maureen O’Hagan (December 3, 2010). “Meet Washington’s spirited mushroom man” . The Seattle Times . Retrieved July 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Jim Myers (May 26, 2015). “The fungus onder us” . The Tennessean . Retrieved July 19, 2015 .
Paul Stamets, widely regarded as a guru in the fungal world …
- Jump up^ “KEXP 90.3 FM – Mind Over Matters” . kexp.org .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Bioneers Annual Conference 2014
- ^ Jump up to:a b Seattle Times article by Michael Unchurch, “Obituary: John Stamets, photographer or Seattle’s ever-changing skyline” June 13, 2014
- Jump up^ http://www.fungi.com/blog/items/mushrooms-the-hwarang-the-martial-arts.html
- Jump up^ Andy Isaacson (2009). “Return of the Fungi” . Mother Jones . Retrieved July 19, 2015 .
He Eventually graduated from Olympia’s Evergreen State College …
- Jump up^ James Trimarco (October 1, 2010). “Can Mushrooms Rescue the Gulf?”. Yes! . Retrieved July 19, 2015 .
He Began his career in the forest as a logger, not as a scientist, and holds no degree hogere dan a bachelor’s from the Evergreen State College.
- Jump up^ Then Heim (October 17, 2013). “What is White Infrastructure?” . Municipal Sewer & Water Magazine . Retrieved July 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “About Paul Stamets’ . Fungi.com . Paul Stamets, Fungi.com . Retrieved July 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Bioneers 06: Paul E. Stamets’ . LinkTV . 2006 . Retrieved February 23, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Linda Baker (November 25, 2002). “How mushrooms will save the world” . Salon . Retrieved July 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ 11thhouraction.com ideas and Experts: Paul Stamets
- Jump up^ The Participants | Dirt! The Movie, February 23, 2013
- Jump up^ “2012 Time for Change” . 2012timeforchange.com .
- Jump up^ Paul Stamets. “Paul Stamets: 6 ways mushrooms kan save the world – Talk Video – TED.com” . ted.com .
- Jump up^ Paul Stamets. “Is the world ready for a Medical Mushroom Mystery Tour? – Talk Video – TEDMED.com” . tedmed.com .
- Jump up^ Press Release from NCNM mentioning Stamets honorary degree
- Jump up^ Awards page, NAMA
- Jump up^ “Meet the Opus Ambassadors” . aaas.org .
- Jump up^ The July 2015 issue of inoculum, newsletter of the Mycological Society of America.
- Jump up^ Kpn I . Stamets .