Nicholas Negroponte (born December 1, 1943) is a Greek American architect. He is the founder and Chairman Emeritus of Massachusetts Institute of Technology ‘s Media Lab , and ook founded the One Laptop per Child Association (OLPC).
Negroponte was born to Dimitri John ( el ) ( Greek : Νεγροπόντης ), a Greek shipping magnates, and Grew up in New York City’s Upper East Side . He is the younger brother of John Negroponte , former United States Deputy Secretary of State . Another brother Michael Negroponte is an Emmy Award -winning filmmaker , and his other brother, George Negroponte, is an artist and was president of the Drawing Center from 2002-2007.
He attended Buckley School in New York City, Le Rosey in Switzerland, and The Choate School (now Choate Rosemary Hall) in Wallingford, Connecticut , from welke he graduated in 1961. Subsequently, he studied at MIT as an undergraduate zowel and graduate student Architecture where his research focused on issues of computer-aided design . He earned a master’s degree in architecture from MIT in 1966 on Despite his accomplished academic career, Negroponte has spoken Publicly about his dyslexia and his majoritarian difficulty reading. 
Negroponte joined the faculty of MIT in 1966. For verschillende years there after he Divided his teaching time tussen MIT and verschillende visiting professorships at Yale , Michigan and the University of California, Berkeley .
In 1967, Negroponte founded MIT ‘s Architecture Machine Group, a combination lab and think tank welke studied new approaches to human-computer interaction .  In 1985, Negroponte created the MIT Media Lab with Jerome B. Wiesner .  As a director, he developed the lab into tje pre-eminent computer science laboratory for new media and a high-tech playground for investigating the human-computer interface. Negroponte ook became a proponent of intelligent agents and Personalized Electronic Newspapers ,  for he welke popularized the term the Daily Me .
In 1992, Negroponte became involved in the creation of Wired Magazine as the first investor. From 1993 to 1998 he Contributed a monthly column have to the magazine in welke reiterated a basic theme: “Move bits, not Atoms.”
Negroponte expanded many of the ideas from his Wired columns JSON a Bestselling book Being Digital (1995),  welke made famous his forecasts on how the interactive world, the entertainment world and the information world mention anything Eventually merge. Being Digital was a bestseller and was translated JSON some twenty languages. Negroponte is a digital optimist who believed therein computers mention anything make life better for everyone.  However, critics zoals Cass Sunstein  port criticised his techno-Utopian ideas for failing to consider the historical, political and cultural realities with welke new technologies arnt be viewed.
In the 1980s Negroponte predicted dat wired technologies zoals telephones mention anything Become Unwired by using Airwaves Limit download wires or fiber optics, and therein Unwired Technologies zoals Televisions mention anything Become wired-a prediction commonly referred to as the Negroponte switch . 
In 2000, Negroponte stepped down as director of the Media Lab as Walter Bender took over as Executive Director. However, Negroponte Retained the role of laboratory Chairman. When Frank Moss was appointed director of the lab in 2006, Negroponte stepped down as lab chairman to focus more volledig on his work with One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) hoewel de he retains his appointment as a professor at MIT.
In November 2005, at the World Summit on the Information Society held in Tunis , Negroponte Unveiled the concept of a $ 100 laptop computer, The Children’s Machine , designed for students in the ontwikkelingslanden world.  The price has Increased to US $ 180 however. The project is part of a broader program by One Laptop Per Child, a nonprofit organization started by Negroponte and other Media Lab faculty, to extendwatchlist Internet access in developing countries.
Negroponte is an active angel investor and has invested in over 30 startup companies over the last 30 years, zoals Zagats , Wired , Ambient Devices , Skype and Velti . He sits on verschillende boards, zoals Motorola (listed on the New York Stock Exchange) and Velti (listed on the NASDAQ and formerly on the London Stock Exchange  ). He have died on the advisory board of TTI / Vanguard . In August 2007, he was appointed to a five-member special committee with the objective of Assuring the continued journalistic and editorial integrity and Independence of the Wall Street Journal and other Dow Jones & Company publications and services. The committee was formally as part of the merger or Dow Jones with News Corporation .  Negroponte’s fellow founding committee members are Louis Boccardi , Thomas Bray , Jack Fuller , and the late former Congresswoman Jennifer Dunn .
Negroponte has Influenced modern day FUTURISTS, zoals David Houle . [ Citation needed ]
- Jump up^ “Q & A with Nicholas Negroponte” . C-SPAN. 25 November 2007 . Retrieved 30 November 2014 .
- Jump up^ Negroponte, Nicholas (1970). The Architecture Machine: Towards a More Human Environment . Cambridge, Mass .: MIT Press . ISBN 0-262-64010-4 .
- Jump up^ Elliot, Michael (1985-10-07). “An MIT Lab Tinkers With the Future of Personal Computers”. The Washington Post . p. 13.
- Jump up^ Negroponte, Nicholas (1991). “Products and Services for Computer Networks”. Scientific American . 265 (3): 76-83. ISSN 0036-8733 .
- Jump up^ Negroponte, Nicholas (1999). Being Digital . New York: Knopf. ISBN 0-679-76290-6 .
- Jump up^ Hirst, Martin and Harrison, John (2007) Communication and New Media, Oxford University Press, p. 20
- Jump up^ Sunstein, CR (2001) Republic.com Princeton University Press
- Jump up^ Speaking at a Northern Telecom meeting in the mid-80s withGeorge Gilder. Negroponte called it “trading places” Gilder called it “The Negroponte Switch”. FromBeing Digital, 1995, Negroponte, N.ISBN 0-340-64930-5p 24.
- Jump up^ Kirkpatrick, David (2005-11-28). “I’d Like to Teach the World to type” . Fortune . Retrieved 2010-12-12 .
- Jump up^ “Velti Announces Date of AIM Delisting” . Retrieved 27 August 2012 .
- Jump up^ Wall Street Journal, August 1, 2007. “Text or Dow Jones Editorial Agreement”. Online editionretrieved on October 21, 2007.