Neil Harbisson (born 27 July 1982) is a Catalan -raised, British-born  avant-garde artist and cyborg activist based in New York City .  He is best known for being the first person in the world with an antenna implanted in his skull  and for being officially honored as a cyborg in a government.  His antenna uses Audible vibrations in his skull to report information to im. This of includes measurements of Electromagnetic Radiation, phone calls, music, as well as video or images welke are translated JSON music.  His WiFi enabled antenna ook Allows im not to receive signals and data from satellites. 
Since 2004, international media has DESCRIBED im as the world’s first cyborg  or the world’s first cyborg artist,  for Expressing himself artistically through a new sense created by the permanent union tussen electronic components and his brain. In 2010, he co-founded the Cyborg Foundation , an international organization dat defends cyborg rights, promotes cyborgism as an art movement and supports people who want to help Become cyborgs.  In 2015 he co-founded Cyborg Nest,  a company dat creates artificial senses to extendwatchlist the perception of reality. 
Early life and career
Harbisson is the sun or a Catalan mother and an Irish Father. He was born with achromatopsia , an extreme form of color blindness therein results in his seeing only in grayscale . He Grew up in Mataro in Catalonia , Spain, where he studied music and art  at verschillende schools.  He Began to compose piano pieces at the age of 11  and, at 16, Began Studying fine art at the Institut Alexandre Satorras, where he was bepaald special permission to use no color in his work. His early works are all in black and white  and synthesis ulcers the only colors he-used to wear. 
At the age of 18, Harbisson climbed a tree in Mataro to save three trees in front of the Basilica of Santa Maria from being felled.  He lived in the act for verschillende days,  supported by about 3,000 people who signed a petition to Maintain the trees.  After days of protests, the city hall announced the trees mention anything not be cut. 
At the age of 19, he moved to England to study music composition, at Dartington College of Arts . 
Harbisson’s antenna, welke has leg Permanently attached to his head since 2004, osseointegrated inside his skull and sprouts from within his occipital bone . It Allows im to hear the light Frequencies of the spectrum waaronder invisible colors zoals infrared and ultraviolet. An internal Internet connection ook Allows im not to receive colors from satellites and other people’s cameras, as well as geselecteerd phone calls rechtstreeks into his skull. The antenna consists of two antenna implants, one vibration / sound implant, and a Bluetooth implant therein Allows im to connect to the Internet.  There are currently five people in the world who are allowed to send im images, sounds or videos.  The first person to call his head was Ruby Wax .  The first public demonstration of a skull Transmitted image was broadcast live on Al Jazeera ‘s chat show The Stream . The image, a selfie cents from New York to model Isaac Dean Weber was RECEIVED and those given to Harbisson as a face. 
The creation of the antenna Began in 2003 at Dartington College of Arts als Harbisson attended a talk related to Cybernetics bepaald Adam Montandon.   At the end of the talk, Neil suggested they ‘start a project together.  This became a project to dévelop a sensor therein transposed color Frequencies JSON sound Frequencies .  Neil memorised the sound of lycra color and decided to Permanently attach the sensor to his head. Peter Kese, upgraded Harbisson’s sensor to 360 différent microtones and added différent volume levels depending on color saturation levels  and Matias Lizana, developed the sensor’s software JSON a smaller chip.  The antenna implant, welke was rejected by bioethical committees, was first implanted and-then osseointegrated by anonymous doctors. 
In 2004, Harbisson was not allowed to renew his UK passport Because his passport photo was rejected. The UK Passport Office mention anything not allow directive Harbisson ACM Press with electronic equipment on his head. Harbisson wrote back insisting dat de antenna arnt be Considered part of his body as he had Become a cyborg. Letters from his doctor, friends and his college ulcers cents to the passport office to give im support. After weeks of correspondence Harbisson’s antenna was included.  Harbisson states dat he became a cyborg-when the union tussen his organism and his antenna created a new sense. 
In 2011 the antenna was damaged by police who believed therein Harbisson had leg filming Them prolongation a demonstration in Plaza Catalunya, Barcelona .   Harbisson Filed a complaint of physical aggression, as he considers the antenna to be a body part. 
Harbisson has Contributed significantly to the public awareness of cyborga, Artificial senses and human evolution at giving Recruiters regular public lectures at universities, conferences and LAN parties sometimes to an audience or duizendtallen.  He has tasks run in science, music, fashion and art festivals zoals the British Science Festival , TEDGlobal ,  London Fashion Week ,  sonar ,  and NeoTokyo Festival  onder Vodafone.  He has Become trending topic on Twitter  inseveral occasions.   
He has Appeared on verschillende television documentaries zoals Daily Planet on Discovery Channel ,  Documentos TV ,  Reasons ; and in specific documentaries about his life zoals La importancia dels colors ,  and El Ciborg dels Colors ,  as well as on a number of chat shows waaronder NBC ‘s Last Call with Carson Daly ,  Richard & Judy , Buenafuente ,  Fantastic Film  and on the Belgian comedy Scheire and creation . He has duties part in radio programs on New York’s Public Radio International ,  BBC World Service ,  Cadena SER ,  and has Contributed in Newspapers and magazines zoals The New York Times ,  The New Scientist ,  Wired ,  The Scientist ,  The Red Bulletin ,  Modern Painters ,  ¡Hola! ,  and Muy Interesting . 
In 2013, Cyborg Foundation  a short documentary film about Neil Harbisson and the Cyborg Foundation, won the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival ‘s Focus Forward Filmmakers Competition.  Since 2014, The Sound of Colours  a short film about Harbisson’s life is being filmed.  In 2015, Hearing Colors , a black and white documentary about Harbisson in New York was Chosen as a Vimeo “Staff Pick” and became the 2016 winner of New York’s Tribeca Film Festival X Award.
Harbisson’s art work has bone ranked together with the works of Yoko Ono and Marina Abramovic as one of the 10 must shocking art performances ever.  His work is focused on the creation of new senses and the creation of external art works through synthesis new senses.  His main works port leg exhibited prolongation the 54TH Venice Biennale  at Palazzo Foscari (Giudecca 795) ,  Savina Museum of Contemporary Art ( Seoul ), Museumsquartier ( Vienna ), CCCB ( Barcelona )  Bankside Gallery ( London ), Pioneer Works ( New York City ),  Royal College of Art Gallery ( London ), Centre d’Art Santa Mònica (Barcelona),  Pollock Gallery ( Dallas ), [89 ] and at the American Visionary Art Museum ( Baltimore ),  onder Vodafone.  
Colour Concerts : Harbisson’s first performance as a cyborg was Piano Concerto No. 1, in welke have painted a Steinway & Sons grand piano with différent color paints and-used his antenna to play the Frequencies of the colors. With his next composition,, the Piano Concerto Borg, the piano was Prepared by Attaching a computer to the under side, and positioning an antenna Above the keys. When a color was shown to the antenna, the computer picked up the frequency and relayed this to the piano, welke dan played will the corresponding notes. Neil zegt, “The piano is playing the piano player.” 
Sound Portraits : Portraits of people therein Harbisson creates by listening to the colors of faces. Lycra face creates a différent micro tone chord depending on zijn colors. To create a sound portrait he stands in front of the person and points his antenna at différent parts of the face, right-then writes down the différent notes have Hears on a piece of paper from welke he later creates a sound file. Since 2004, he has created live sound portraits or onder Vodafone, Prince Charles , Woody Allen ,  Antoni Tàpies , Leonardo DiCaprio , Dame Judi Dench , Moby , James Cameron , Peter Brook , Al Gore , Sir Tim Berners-Lee , Macy Gray , Gael García Bernal ,  Alfonso Cuaron , Ryoji Ikeda , Gabriel Byrne ,  Steve Reich ,  Nicole Kidman , Dame Evelyn Glennie ,  Steve Wozniak ,  Tracey Emin and Giorgio Moroder . 
The Human Color Wheel : A color wheel based on the hue and light therein Harbisson detected on human skins from 2004 to 2009.  Harbisson states dat humans are not black or white, humans are orange. Human skins range from very light to very dark shades or orange-red to orange-yellow. 
City Colours : In 2007, Harbisson hitch-hiked around Europe to find the main colors of capital cities,  visiting morethan 50 countries.  He scanned lycra capital have been Until loveable represents lycra city with two dominant hues.  In Monaco, it was azure and salmon pink; in Bratislava it was yellow and turquoise; and in Andorra it was dark green and fuchsia.  Under the title Capital Colors of Europe Harbisson has exhibited the colors of lycra capital in verschillende European galleries  waaronder Spain, Andorra, UK, and Croatia. 
Colour Scores : Hearing color ook dat Means everyday sounds, zoals voices or music, Become associated with colors too.  Color Scores are a series of paintings where Harbisson paints what he Hears, from music to speeches. 
Harbisson in the cast or Adam Green’s Aladdin , an upcoming independent film directed by Adam Green and starred with Macaulay Culkin , Natasha Lyonne , Alia Shawkat and Francesco Clemente onder Vodafone.
Harbisson has collaborated extensively with Catalan choreographer Moon Ribas in a series of devised theater and dance performances, zoals Opus No. 1 , premiered at London’s BAC Theatre, The Sound of the Orange Tree ,  premiered at Barcelona’s Antic Teatre  and Walking Colours . 
Harbisson’s first color-to-voice performances ulcers in collaboration with Icelandic musician María Huld Markan Sigfúsdóttir. In hun performances, María-used a computer to hear and sing the color Frequencies therein Harbisson-used while customizing live paintings on stage. 
Harbisson has collaborated and Performed with Catalan musician Pau Riba with Whom he shares the co interest in cyborgs.  Way Down first Performed at Sala Luz de Gas (Barcelona), Followed by other performers.  One hun projects are Avigram , a structure of 12 strings, one string for lycra semitone in an octave, installed on a roof of a farm. The installation is Recorded 24 hours a day and a melody is being created depending on welke strings birds décide to rest on. 
- Jump up^ RegistreEl MaresmeIssue 224, Summer 1982.
- Jump up^ Neil’s the first UK cyborg – official. It says so on his passport,Totnes Times, 1 December 2004.
- Jump up^ Colourblind artist wants cyborg eye in his Irish passport, Belfast Telegraph , 15 May 2012.
- Jump up^ “I listen to color”,CNN, 10 September 2012
- Jump up^ Editorial”Hearing Colors profit Tribeca Film Festival award”,ADWEEK, 21 April 2016
- Jump up^ Editorial”Un award pour l’artiste à l’antenna greffée sur la tête”,Monaco Matin, 4 November 2015
- Jump up^ Fionn McGorry”Human Cyborg visits TCD”, Trinity News , 11 October 2014
- Jump up^ Geli, Carles”Un documental Catalan, premiado and Sundance”,El País, 27 January 2013.
- Jump up^ Martinez, Lluis”La Fundació Cyborg s’endú el primer premiere beams Cre @ tic”, El Punt , 20 November 2010.
- Jump up^ Becas Phonos IUD (Institut Universitari d’Audiovisuals), Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Jump up^ “Cyborgs and Stem Cells triumph in research movie oscars”, AIB News Archive, 26 April 2006
- Jump up^ “EUROPRIX Multimedia Awards 2004”
- Jump up^ “Temporada del Monumental”,Capgròs, 27 August 2010.
- Jump up^ As Told to Sally Davies, FT MagazineI’m a human cyborg – I can hear color, First Person: Neil Harbisson I was born in Belfast but Grew up in Catalonia. 17 August, 2012.
- Jump up^ Rawle, Tom”EXCLUSIVE: Human cyborg who Hears color is using antenna to” sea space “,Daily Star, 24 April 2015
- Jump up^ Wade, Greg. “Seeing things in a différent light”,BBC, 19 January 2005.
- Bannister, Matthew. Outlook , BBC World Service , 23 January 2012.
- “Colourful artist: one a slightly différent-wavelength” , The Irish Times , 5 May 2008.
- Jump up^ CNN
- Brooks, Richard. “Colour-blind artist learns to paint by hearing” , The Sunday Times , 24 February 2008.
- Miah, Andy / Rich, Emma. The medicalization of cyberspace , Routledge (New York, 2008). p.130 ISBN 978-0-415-37622-8
- Tibballs, Geoff. Ripley’s Believe it or not! p.61 (USA 2006) ISBN 978-1-893951-12-9
- “Painting by ear” Modern Painters , The International Contemporary Art Magazine pp.70-73. New York, June 2008
- “Cyborgs and Stem Cells” , Research TV , 18 January 2005.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Jeffries, Stuart “World’s first cyborg artist” , The Guardian , 6 May 2014
- Jump up^ Rawle, Tom”EXCLUSIVE: Human cyborg who Hears color is using antenna to” see “SPACE”, Daily Star , 24 April 2015
- Jump up^ Radnedge, Aidan. “World’s first cyborg”, Metro , 2 December 2004.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Jeffries, Stuart “Neil Harbisson, the world’s first cyborg artist” , The Guardian , 5 May 2014
- Jump up^ Garcia, FC”Nace una Fundación dedicada a convertir humanos and ciborgs”, La Vanguardia , 1 March 2011.
- Jump up^ Cyborg Nest
- Jump up^ Minor, Jordan”North Sense implant turns you JSON a human compass”, Geek, 27 May 2016.
- Jump up^ FC “knife the 4000 espectadors yes han fishing Alder Pastorets que acaben diumenge”Capgros12-19 February 1999
- Jump up^ JV “Alumnes del Campeny representen Terra Baixa”Crònica the Mataró16 May 1998
- Jump up^ Mas Pere. “Neil Harbisson, ciborg the colors”, Catalunya Radio , 25 August 2009
- Jump up^ Brennan, Ciarán. “When what you see is not in color”, The Irish Times , 5 May 2008.
- Jump up^ Bryony Gordon. “From black and white to color… Eyes opened to music or socks”, The Independent , 13 January 2005.
- Jump up^ Ferran, Helena. “Un« cyborg »català all Regne Unit”, El Punt , 5 December 2004.
- Jump up^ de la Fuente, Antonia. “Baroness rampantes the Mataró’s instalan and Arboles para impedir que los CORTEN”, La Vanguardia , 27 May 2001.
- Jump up^ “Penjats fur Arbres” Front page of El Point 26 May 2001
- Jump up^ Ferran, Helena. “Famós a Mataro per << >> salvar Arbres”, El Punt , 5 December 2004.
- Jump up^ Martinez Arias, Alberto. “Primer ciborg del mundo reconocido por un Gobierno”, Puntos Vista, Radio Exterior de España , 23 January 2012.
- Jump up^ Williams, Alison”Cyborg Series # 1″,Not Impossible Now, 29 October 2014
- Jump up^ [Shin, Nara”Cool Hunting: Neil Harbisson”,Coolhunting, 5 May 2014
- Jump up^ The Stream”The World’s First Cyborg”, Al Jazeera , 27 November 2014.
- Jump up^ Bannister, Matthew (2012-01-23). “Outlook” . BBC World Service. p. 16m41s . Retrieved 4 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ Nadotti, Cristina. “Daltonici, mondo a colori con l’aiuto di” Eye-sponsor “”, La Repubblica , 31 May 2005.
- Jump up^ Alfredo M. Ronchi:Eculture: Cultural Content in the Digital Age. Springer (New York, 2009). p.319ISBN 978-3-540-75273-8
- ^ Jump up to:a b Harbisson Neil. “Painting by ear” Modern Painters, The International Contemporary Art Magazine pp.70-73. New York, June 2008.
- Jump up^ Sanchis, Ima. “La Veo and blank y negro pero la oigo and colores”La Contra the La Vanguardia , 10 July 2010.
- Jump up^ BROKEN LINK Millas, Juan Jose. “El Tercer Ojo del Cyborg”, El País , 15 January 2012.
- Jump up^ Miah, Andy / Rich, Emma. The medicalization of cyberspace , Routledge (New York, 2008). p.130ISBN 978-0-415-37622-8
- ^ Jump up to:a b Serra, Laura “No sum blancs ni negres, tots sum taronges” Ara , 19 January 2011.
- Jump up^ BBC News – The man who Hears color
- Jump up^ Twitter / @NeilHarbisson: Eyeborg occurred in the police a …
- Jump up^ Twitter / @NeilHarbisson: Secret police harbor just br …
- Jump up^ redaccion”7,000 geeks’s despiden y superan un reto Tecnologico”,El Economista, 24 July 2011.
- Jump up^ Pearce, Marcus”The vision thing: Art and illusion”,The Guardian, 22 September 2008.
- Jump up^ “I listen to color”,TED Global, 27 June 2012.
- Jump up^ “London Fashion Week Talks”,The Galleon, October 2014
- Jump up^ “Apps que MARCAN tendencia mañana en el Sonar”, Euroxpress, 12 June 2012
- Jump up^ Europa Press”La música electrónica’s cuela entre el arte moderno”,El Mundo, 11 September 2011.
- Jump up^ redaccion”A historia do que Mozo escoita as cores, no ALT”,Galicia Hoxe, 12 March 2011.
- Jump up^ Trending Topic Twitter
- Jump up^ redaccion”Harbisson: el joven que escucha colores”,El Economista, 21 July 2011.
- Jump up^ “Mesh Conference Coverage, with / newsrooms” . / newsrooms . Retrieved 2015-12-24 .
- Jump up^ “Neil Harbisson – Today I became trending topic ‘in Spain … | Facebook” . www.facebook.com . Retrieved 2015-12-24 .
- Jump up^ “Art and Science”,Daily Planet,Discovery Channel, 2 April 2009
- Jump up^ “Ciborgs buy humanos”,Documentos TV,Televisión Española, 12 June 2012
- Jump up^ La importancia dels colors
- Jump up^ El Ciborg dels Colors
- Jump up^ NBC,”Last Call with Carson Daly”, 29 September 2014
- Jump up^ Buenafuente, Andreu”La vida y negro and control”,Buenafuente,La Sexta, 27 May 2010
- Jump up^ “Homem identifica cores atraves dos sun”,Fantastic Film,Reason Globo, 5 February 2012
- Jump up^ Molinsky, Eric”Neil Harbisson, cyborg”,Studio 360,WNYC, 4 November 2011
- Jump up^ Bannister, Matthew”The Man who Hears color,Outlook,BBC World Service, 23 January 2012
- Jump up^ Beltran, P.”Mama quiero ser artista y ciborg”,Cadena Ser, 16 January 2012.
- Jump up^ Lee, Jennifer”A Surgical Implant for Seeing Colors Through Sound”,The New York Times, 2 July 2012
- Jump up^ Else, Liz”Cyborg makes art using seventh sense”,The New Scientist, 29 June 2012
- Jump up^ Finn, Christine”Cyborg kunnen color blind artist to hear his palette”,Wired, 24 February 2008
- Jump up^ AKST, Jef”The Sound of Color”,The Scientist, May 2012
- Jump up^ Rottenschlager, Andreas”The Sound of the Cyborg”,The Red Bulletin, 22 February 2011.
- Jump up^ redaccion”El primer cyborg del mundo”,¡Hola! , 17 February 2012
- Jump up^ redaccion”Los colores también se escuchan”,Muy Interesante, 31 January 2012
- Jump up^ Cyborg Foundation
- Jump up^ Pond, Steve”Cyborg Foundation” profit $ 100K Focus Forward prize, Chicago Tribune , 22 January 2013
- Jump up^ The Sound of Colours
- Jump up^ Sastre, Cristina”El SONIDO de los Colores”,El Mundo, 17 January 2014
- Jump up^ Jones, Jonathan. “The 10 must shocking performance artworks ever”, The Guardian , 11 November 2013
- Jump up^ Editorial Board. “El Artista que escucha los Colores” BBC Mundo 27 May 2010
- Jump up^ Editorial Board”Eyeborg” Venice ConnectedJune 2011
- Jump up^ Giorcelli, Rosalba.  Style.com (Italy), 16 June 2011.
- Jump up^ “Color Study”,Art Korean TV, 4 August 2015
- Jump up^ Farre, Natalia”Viviremos and otro planeta?,El Periodico, 7 October 2015
- Jump up^ “Neil Harbisson: Cyborg artist at the Creative Frontier”,Master Dynamic, 18 September 2014
- Jump up^ Frisach, Montse”La Musica del Mon” Avui 30 April 2012
- Jump up^ Escobedo, Lee. “From AZ” Arts and Culture Texas MagazineOctober 2015.
- Jump up^ Scharper, Julie”AVAM’s” Human Soul & Machine Explores technology’s power “,The Baltimore Sun, 6 October 2013
- Jump up^ Pedrico, Martha”Poner color all SONIDO …” La Vanguardia 7 October 2011.
- Jump up^ Bosco, Roberta. “El Pintor que oye colores” El País 18 May 2005.
- Jump up^ Vodafone”First color conducted concert”,Firsts, January 2014
- Jump up^ Woodcock, Jo. “Cyborg student, the first at Dartington”,Life After Dartington, page 10, Issue 26, Summer 2005.
- Jump up^ Bergós, Mónica”El primer cyborg”, El Correo , 15 May 2010.
- Jump up^ Pesantes, Karla”Todos deberiamos queres ser cyborgs” Vistazo 19 October 2011
- Jump up^ Davies, Sally”Encounters with the Post Human”,Nautilus, 29 April 2013
- Jump up^ https://twitter.com/NeilHarbisson/status/467333753581604864″Neil Harbisson customizing a sound portrait of Steve Reich in New York
- Jump up^ https://twitter.com/NeilHarbisson/status/241647295295283200″Neil Harbisson customizing a sound portrait of Evelyn Glennie”
- Jump up^ Bryant Ross”People will start Becoming technological says human cyborg””Dezeen Magazine” 20 November 2013
- Jump up^ https://twitter.com/NeilHarbisson/status/459774110868852737/photo/1/large”Neil Harbisson customizing a sound portrait of Giorgio Moroder
- Jump up^ Did Gerry”Color-Blind Artist Neil Harbisson Uses Webcam Like Eyeborg to ‘Hear’ Color ‘,The World,Public Radio International, 28 February 2012.
- Jump up^ Marković, Stjepan. “Prvi sluzbeni čovjek kiborg cuje trideset i sest boja” 24 sata pp.12-13, 17 December 2007
- Jump up^ Brooks, Richard. “Colour-blind artist learns to paint by hearing”, The Sunday Times , 24 February 2008.
- Jump up^ Dee, Michael. “Neil Harbisson – and kunstnerisk kyborg”,Art for all, p.32-35 Issue 3, 2009.
- Jump up^ Bojka”Katalonci” čudnim zvukovima “odredili BOJU Zagreba” Lupiga, 29 November 2007.
- Jump up^ Marković, Stjepan. “Kiborg iz Engleske you Zagrebu ‘slusao” Boje “24 sata Promotivni PrimjerakFrontPage, 17 December 2007
- Jump up^ “Zivi sa zicama to vrhu Glave” 24 sata FrontPage, 17 December 2007
- Jump up^ Pearce, Marcus. “The vision thing: Art and illusion”, The Guardian , 22 September 2008.
- Jump up^ Jarque, Miquel”L’art de Pintar Alder sun”, Catalunya Radio , 8 May 2010.
- Jump up^ Blanch, Anna”El Mon sonocromàtic d’El as del taronger ‘arriba a Mataró”, El Punt , 17 December 2010.
- Jump up^ Serra, Laura”No hi ha blancs ni negres, tots sum taronges”,Diari Ara, 19 January 2011
- Jump up^ “Laboratori the creació: una cançó, un intèrpret, una dansa”, Televisió de Catalunya , 29 April 2012.
- Jump up^ “Carne cruda”, “Radio Nacional de España”, 2 June 2010.
- Jump up^ Putx, Donat. “Mi madre es un cyborg”, La Vanguardia , 28 January 2009.
- Jump up^ Tramullas, Gemma. “Pau Riba invita a disfrutar de un Orgasmo folclórico”, El Periódico , 27 September 2009.
- Jump up^ Bueno, Vern”Una performance porta 99 nous el dia del 9 9 of 9 del Mati a 9 de la nit”,Capgròs, 8 September 2009.
- Jump up^ “Tres artistes locals i Pau Riba creen una instal·lació a lesson Cinc Sènies”,Capgròs, 22 Abril 2010.