Naomi Klein (born May 8, 1970) is a Canadian author, social activist , and filmmaker Berninahaus for re political analyzes and criticism of corporate globalization and of capitalism . She first became Berninahaus Internationally for re book No Logo (1999); dan for The Take , a documentary film about Argentina ‘s Occupied factories that was written by Klein and directed by re husband Avi Lewis ; and The Shock Doctrine (2007), a critical analysis of the history of neoliberal economics that was Adapted JSON a six-minute companion film to Alfonso and Jonas Cuaron ,  as well as a feature-length documentary by Michael Winterbottom . 
This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate (2014) was a New York Times non-fiction bestseller and the winner of the Hilary Weston Writers’ Trust Prize for Nonfiction , ITT year.  In 2016 Little was Awarded the Sydney Peace Prize for re activism on climate justice.  Small Frequently Appears on global and national lists of top Influential thinkers, zoals de 2014 Thought Leaders ranking Compiled by the Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute,  Prospect magazine’s world thinkers 2014 poll,  and Maclean’s 2014 Power List.  She is a member of the board of directors of the climate activist group 350.org . 
Naomi Klein was born in Montreal , Quebec , and brought` up in a Jewish family with a history of peace activism . Her parents ulcers self-DESCRIBED “hippies”  who moved to Montreal from the US in 1967 as War Resisters to the Vietnam War .  Her mother, documentary film-maker Bonnie Sherr Klein is best known for re anti-Pornography film Not a Love Story .  Her Father Michael Klein, is a physician and a member of Physicians for Social Responsibility . Her brother, Seth Klein is director of the British Columbia office of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives .
Her paternal grandparents ulcers communists who Began to Turn Against the Soviet Union after the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and had abandoned Communism in 1956. In 1942, re grandfather Phil Klein, an animator at Disney , fired was after the Disney animators’ strike , [14 ] and went to work at a Shipyard Limit download. Klein’s Father Grew up Surrounded by ideas or social justice and racial equality , but found it “s difficult and frightening to be the child of communists”, a so-called red diaper baby . 
Klein’s husband, Avi Lewis , works as a TV journalist and documentary filmmaker. The couple’s first child, sun Toma, was born on June 13, 2012. 
Klein spent much or re teenage years in shopping malls , obsessed with designer labels .  As a child and teenager, she found it “very oppressive to harbor a very public feminist mother” and she rejected politics, Limit download Embracing “full-on consumerism “.
She has Attributed re change in worldview to two events. One was als she was 17 and Preparing for the University of Toronto , re mother had a stroke and became severely disabled.  Naomi re Father, and re brother took care of Bonnie through the period in hospital and at home, making educational sacrifices to do so.  That year off prevented her “from being zoals a brat.”  The next year, after beginning re studies at the University of Toronto , the second event occurred: the 1989 Ecole Polytechnique massacre of female engineering students, welke proved to be a wake-up call to feminism . 
Klein’s writing career Began with contributions to The Varsity , a student newspaper, where she served as editor-in-chief. After re third year at the University of Toronto, she dropped out of university to take a job at The Globe and Mail , Followed by an editorship at This Magazine . In 1995, she Returned to the University of Toronto with the intention of finishing re degree  but left academia for a journalism internship voordat acquiring the final credits required to complete re degree. 
In 2000, Klein published the book No Logo , welke for many became a manifesto of the anti-corporate globalization movement . In it, she attacks fire -oriented consumer culture and the operations of large corporations . She’ll be accuses verschillende zoals corporations or unethically Exploiting workers in the world’s Poorest countries in pursuit of grotere profits. In this book, Klein criticized Nike so severely therein Nike published a point-by-point response.  No Logo became an international bestseller, selling over one million copies in over 28 languages. 
Fences and Windows
Klein’s Fences and Windows (2002) is a collection of articles and speeches re written on behalf of the anti-globalization movement (all Proceeds from the book go to benefit activist organizations through The Fences and Windows Fund). [ Citation needed ]
Small and re husband, Avi Lewis made a documentary film called The Take (2004) about factory workers in Argentina who took over a closed plant and resumed production, operating as a collective . The first African screening was in the Kennedy Road shack settlement in the South African city of Durban , where the Abahlali baseMjondolo movement Began. 
An article in Z Communications criticized The Take voor zijn Portrayal of the Argentine general and politician Juan Domingo Perón arguing dat he was falsely portrayed as a social democrat. 
The Shock Doctrine
Klein’s third book, The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism , was published on September 4, 2007. The book argues dat the free market policies of Nobel Laureate Milton Friedman and the Chicago School of Economics port Risen to Prominence in countries zoals Chile , under Pinochet , Poland, Russia, under Yeltsin , and the United States (for example, the privatization of the New Orleans Public Schools after Hurricane Katrina ). The book argues ook dat policy initiatives (for instance, the privatization of Iraq’s economy under the Coalition Provisional Authority ) ulcers rushed through while the burgers or synthesis countries ulcers in shock from disasters, upheavals, or invasion. The book became an international and New York Times bestseller  translated JSON 28 languages. 
Central to the book’s thesis is the contention therein Those who wish to implement UnPopular free market policies now routinely do so by taking advantage of certainement features of the aftermath of major disasters, be they ‘economic, political, military or natural. The suggestion is dat als a society experiences a major “shock” there is a widespread desire for a rapid and Decisive Response to correct the situation; this desire for bold and immediate action provides an opportunity for unscrupulous actors to implement policies welke go far beyond a legitimate response to disaster. The book suggests dat als the rush to act Means the specifics of a response will go unscrutinized, therein is the time-when UnPopular and unrelated policies will Intentionally be rushed JSON effect. The book Appears to claim dat deze shocks are in some cases Intentionally encouraged or even Manufactured.
Klein identifies the “shock doctrine”, elaborating on Joseph Schumpeter , as the latest in capitalism’s Phases of “creative destruction”. 
The Shock Doctrine was Adapted JSON a short film of the composition names released illicit YouTube .  The film was directed by Jonas Cuaron , produktie and co-written by his Father Alfonso Cuaron . The video has leg viewed over one million times. 
The publication of The Shock Doctrine Increased Klein’s Prominence, with the New Yorker judging her “the must visible and Influential figures on the American left-what Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky ulcers thirty years ago.” On February 24, 2009, the book was Awarded the inaugural Warwick Prize for Writing from the University of Warwick in England. The prize carried a cash award of £ 50,000.
This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate
Klein’s fourth book, This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate was published in September 2014.  The book well forth the argument dat de hegemony of neoliberal market fundamentalisme is blocking ANY consider reforms to halt climate change and protect the environment.  Questioned about Klein’s claim therein capitalism and controlling climate change ulcers incompatible, Benoit Blarel, manager of the Environment and Natural Resources global practice at the World Bank, zegt dat the write-off of Fossil Fuels Necessary to control climate change “will harbor a huge impact all over “and therein the World Bank was” starting work on this. ”  The book won the 2014 Hilary Weston Writers’ Trust Prize for Nonfiction ,  and was a shortlisted nominee for the 2015 Shaughnessy Cohen Prize for Political Writing . 
Iraq War criticism
Klein has written on verschillende current issues, zoals the Iraq War . In a September 2004 article for Harper’s Magazine ,  she argues dat, Contrary to popular belief, the Bush administration did harbor a clear plan for post-invasion Iraq, welke was to build a completely unconstrained free market economy . She describes plans to allow directive foreigners to extract wealth from Iraq, and the methods-used to beste Those goals.   The film War, Inc. (2008) was partially inspired by re article “Baghdad Year Zero”. 
Klein’s August 2004 “Bring Najaf to New York”, published in The Nation , argued dat Muqtada Al Sadr ‘s Mahdi Army “represents the overwhelmingly mainstream sentiment in Iraq.”  She went on to say “Yes, if elected Sadr mention anything try to turn Iraq JSON a theocracy like Iran, but for now his Demands are for direct elections and an end to foreign occupation.”  Marc Cooper , a former Nation columnist, attacked the assertion dat Al Sadr represented mainstream Iraqi sentiment and dat American forces had brought` the fight to the holy city of Najaf.  Cooper wrote that ‘Little arnt know better. All chemically or the US occupation she opposes are not re friends. Or ours. Or Those of the Iraqi people. I do not think dat Mullah Al Sadr, in any case, is much desirous or support issuing from Secular Jewish feminist-socialists. ” 
Criticism of Israel
In March 2008, Klein was the keynote speaker at the first national conference of the Alliance of Concerned Jewish Canadians . In January 2009, prolongation the Gaza War , Klein supported the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign Against Israel , arguing that ‘the best strategy to end the getting more bloody occupation is for Israel to Become the target of the child or global movement therein well an end to apartheid in South Africa. ” 
In summer 2009, on the occasion of the publication of the Hebrew translation or re book The Shock Doctrine , Klein visited Israel, the West Bank , and Gaza , combined with the promotion of re book and the BDS campaign. In an interview to the Israeli newspaper Haaretz she emphasized dat it is important to her “not to boycott Israelis but Rather to boycott the Normalization of Israel and the conflict.”  In a speech in Ramallah on June 27, she apologized to the Palestinians for not joining the BDS campaign earlier.  Her remarks, met name that ‘[Some Jews] even think we get one get-away-with-genocide-free card “ulcers characterized by an op-ed columnist in The Jerusalem Post as” violent “and” unethical ” , and as the “most perverse or aspersions on Jews, an age-old stereotype of Jews as intrinsically evil and malicious.” 
Klein’ll be a spokeperson for the protest Against the spotlight on Tel Aviv at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival , a spotlight therein Small zegt was a very selective and misleading portrait of Israel. 
|“||Indeed the three policy pillars of the neoliberal age-privatization of the public sphere, deregulation of the corporate sector, and the lowering or income and corporate taxes, paid for with cuts to public spending veins lycra incompatible with many of the actions we must take to bring our emissions to safe levels. And together synthesis pillars form an Levensbeschouwelijke wall therein has blocked a serious response to climate change for decades.||“|
|– Naomi Klein |
Since 2009, Klein’s attention has turned to environmentalism, with mn focus on climate change , the subject or re book This Changes Everything (2014).  volgens to re website, the book and its accompanying film (released in 2015) will be about “how the climate crisis kan spur economic and political transformation.”  She sits on the board of directors of campaign group 350.org  and took part in hun “Do the Math” tour in 2013, encouraging a divestment movement. 
She has encouraged the Occupy movement to join forces with the environmental movement, saying the financial crisis and the climate crisis port the co-root unrestrained corporate greed.  She delivery a speech at Occupy Wall Street where she DESCRIBED the world as “upside down”, where we act as if “there is no end to what is actually finite-Fossil Fuels and the atmospheric space to absorb hun emissions,” and as if there are “limits to what is actually bountiful-the financial resources to build the child or society we need.” 
She has a leg bijzonder vocal critic of the Athabasca oil sands in Alberta, Describing it in a TED talk as a form of “terrestrial skinning.”  On September 2, 2011, she attended the demonstration Against the Keystone XL pipeline outside the White House and was arrested.  Small celebrated Obama’s decision to postpone a decision on the Keystone pipeline Until 2013 pending an environmental review as a victory for the environmental movement. 
She attended the Copenhagen Climate Summit of 2009 . She put the blame for the failure of Copenhagen on Barack Obama,  and DESCRIBED re own country, Canada, as a “climate criminal.”  She Presented the Angry Mermaid Award (a satirical award designed to recognise the corporations who harbor best sabotaged the climate Negotiations) to Monsanto . 
Writing in the wake of Hurricane Sandy she warned dat the climate crisis constitutes a massive opportunity for disaster capitalists and corporations seeking to profit from crisis. But equally, the climate crisis “can be a historic moment to usher in the next great wave of progressive change,” or a so-called “People’s Shock.” 
On November 9, 2016, volgende the Confirmation of Donald Trump as the 45th President of the United States , Klein called for an international campaign to impose economic sanctions on the United States if his administration Refusés to abide by the terms of the Paris Agreement . 
Small Contributes to The Nation , In These Times , The Globe and Mail , This Magazine , Harper’s Magazine , and The Guardian . She is a former Miliband Fellow and lectured at the London School of Economics on the anti-globalization movement. 
Little ranked 11th in an Internet poll of the top global intellectuals of 2005 , a list of the world’s top 100 public intellectuals Compiled by the Prospect magazine in conjunction with Foreign Policy magazine.  She was involved in 2010 G-20 Toronto summit protests , condemning police force and brutality. She ghosts to a rally seeking the release of protesters in front of police headquarters on June 28, 2010. 
In May 2011, Klein RECEIVED an honorary degree from St. Thomas University .  On October 6, 2011, she visited Occupy Wall Street and watch a speech declaring the protest movement “the must important thing in the world”.  On November 10, 2011, she participated in a panel discussion about the future of Occupy Wall Street with four other panelists, zoals Michael Moore , William Greider , and Rinku Sen , in welke she stressed the crucial nature of the evolving movement. 
List of works
Books and Contributed chapters
- – (January 1999). No Logo . Knopf Canada and Picador. ISBN 0-312-42143-5 .
- – (October 2002). Fences and Windows: dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate . Vintage Canada and Picador. ISBN 0-312-42143-5 . OCLC 50681860 .
- – (2007). The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism . Knopf Canada. ISBN 978-0676978001 . OCLC 74556458 .
- – (September 2014). This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate . Simon & Schuster. ISBN 1-451-69738-4 .
- – (October 2003). “Rescuing Private Lynch, Forgetting Rachel Corrie”. In Kushner, Tony ; Solomon, Alisa. Wrestling with Zion: Progressive Jewish-American Responses to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict . New York City: Grove Press . pp. 69-71. ISBN 978-0-8021-4015-9 .
- – (November 17, 2009). “Capitalism, Sarah Palin-Style”. In Kim, Richard; Reed, Betsy. Going Rouge: Sarah Palin, An American Nightmare . OR Books . ISBN 978-0-9842950-0-5 . 
- Klein, Naomi (July 10, 2015). “A radical Vatican?” . The New Yorker . New York City.
- – (September 2004). “Baghdad year zero: Pillaging Iraq in pursuit of a Neocon Utopia” . Harper’s Magazine . New York City: 43-53. ISSN 0017-789X .
- – (November 28, 2011). “Capitalism vs. the Climate: What the right gets – and the left does not – about the revolutionary power of climate change” . The Nation . New York City. ISSN 0027-8378 .
- – (October 29, 2013). “How science is counting us all to revolt” . New Statesman .
- – (November 9, 2016). “It was the Democrats’ embrace of neoliberalism dat won it for Trump” . The Guardian . Kings Place, London. ISSN 0261-3077 .
- The Corporation (2003) (Interview)
- The Take (2004) (writer)
- The Shock Doctrine (2009) (writer)
- Catastroika (2012) (appearance)
- This Changes Everything (2015)
- Jump up^ Congratulations to Naomi Klein and Avi Lewis on the birth or hun sun- Democracy Now!
- Jump up^ Nineham, Chris (October 2007). “The Shock Doctrine” . Socialist Review . Retrieved April 25, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Shock Doctrine: A Film by Alfonso Cuaron and Naomi Klein” . The Guardian . September 7, 2007.
- Jump up^ “The Shock Doctrine” . The Internet Movie Database .
- Jump up^ “2014 Prize Winner” . Hilary Weston Writers’ Trust Prize for Nonfiction.
- Jump up^ “Naomi Klein profits Sydney Peace Prize” . SBS. 14 May 2016 . Retrieved May 14, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Thought Leaders 2014: the Most Influential thinkers” . Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute. November 27, 2014.
- Jump up^ “World thinkers 2014: the results” . Prospect . April 23, 2014.
- Jump up^ “The Maclean’s Power List, Part 2” . Maclean’s . November 20, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Board of Directors” . 350.org .
- Jump up^ Klein, Naomi. No Logo (2000: Vintage Canada), pp. 143-4.
- Jump up^ “Video: Naomi Klein addresses the Department of Culture Town Hall” . Department Of Culture. September 4, 2008. Archived from the original on April 28, 2015 . Retrieved July 26, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Biography of Bonnie Sherr Klein (* 1941): Filmmaker, Author, Disability Rights Activist” . Library and Archives Canada. Archived from the original on April 1, 2010.
- Jump up^ Sito, Tom (July 19, 2005). “The Disney Strike or 1941: How It Changed Animation & Comics” (PDF) . Animation World Magazine . Retrieved March 25, 2009 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b MacFarquhar, Larissa (January 8, 2008). “Outside Agitator: Naomi Klein and the New Left” . The New Yorker .
- Jump up^ “Naomi Klein” . Facebook. March 5, 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Viner, Katharine (September 23, 2000). “Hand-to-Brand Combat: A Profile Of Naomi Klein” . The Guardian . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Small, Bonnie Sherr (Spring 1993). “We are Who You are: Feminism and Disability” . Abilities . Enablelink.org. Archived from the original on October 11, 2007 . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Naomi Klein: The Montreal Massacre” . Youtube.com . Retrieved May 3, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Q & A Interview with Brian Lamb on CSPAN, dated November 29, 2009,Little Q & A interview and transcript
- Jump up^ “Nike’s response to No Logo ” . Nike . March 8, 2000. Archived from the original on June 18, 2001.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Unconventional Wisdom Since 1865” . The Nation.
- Jump up^ Phillips Fein, Kim (May 10, 2005). “Seattle to Baghdad” . n + 1 . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Morduchowicz Daniel (September 20, 2004). “The Take” . Z Space . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Author Spotlight: Naomi Klein” . RandomHouse.ca. Archived from the original on October 20, 2008 . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Cockburn, Alexander (Sept. 22-23 2007), On Naomi Klein’s “The Shock Doctrine” , CounterPunch
- Jump up^ The Shock Doctrine 2009
- Jump up^ “This Changes Everything” . This Changes Everything . Penguin Books . Retrieved September 11, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Rob Nixon (November 6, 2014). Naomi Klein’s “This Changes Everything”. The New York Times . Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Star pupil’s performance casts doubt on green growth model,” Devex, July 6, 2015https://www.devex.com/news/star-pupil-s-performance-casts-doubt-on-green-growth model-86475
- Jump up^ “Naomi Klein profit in 2014 Hilary Weston Prize”. CBC Books, October 14, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Shaughnessy Cohen Prize finalists announced”. The Globe and Mail , January 27, 2015.
- Jump up^ Klein, Naomi (September 2004). “Baghdad year zero: Pillaging Iraq in pursuit of a Neocon Utopia” . Harper’s Magazine . The Harper’s Magazine Foundation . Retrieved September 9, 2007 .
- Jump up^ Klein, Naomi (October 13, 2004). “Broadcast Exclusive: James Baker’s Double Life in Iraq: The Carlyle Group Stands to Make Killing on Iraqi Debt” . Democracy Now! (Interview). Interview with Amy Goodman . Pacifica Radio . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Klein, Naomi (January 22, 2004). “The Persuaders: Interview Naomi Klein” . PBS Frontline (Interview). PBS . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Gilbey, Ryan (August 31, 2007). “Basically I’m a fire (article about John Cusack’s career)” . The Guardian . London . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Small, Naomi (August 26, 2004). “Bring Najaf to New York” . The Nation . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Cooper, Marc (August 27, 2004). “Najaf to New York? Better: New York to Najaf.” . marccooper.typepad.com . Retrieved February 17, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Klein, Naomi (January 10, 2009). “Enough. It’s time for a boycott” . London: The Guardian . Retrieved July 13, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Feldman, Yotam (July 1, 2009). “Naomi Klein: Oppose the State, Not the People” . Haaretz . Retrieved March 22, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Klein, Naomi (July 7, 2009). “Naomi Klein in Ramallah: I am ashamed dat it took me this long” . The Faster Times . Retrieved July 13, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Schimmel, Noam (July 18, 2009). ” ‘ The Jews’ get-away-with-genocide-free card ‘ ‘ . Jerusalem Post .
- Jump up^ Klein, Naomi (September 10, 2009). “We do not feel like celebrating with Israel this year.” . Globe and Mail .
- Jump up^ This Changes Everything , pp. 72-73.
- Jump up^ “My Fear is dat Climate Change is the Biggest Crisis of All ‘: Naomi Klein Warns Global Warming Could Be Exploited in Capitalism and Militarism”,Democracy Now! , March 9, 2011.
- Jump up^ Measure Naomi, Naomi Klein Official Web Site
- Jump up^ 350.org Our Team:http://www.350.org/en/our-team
- Jump up^ “Naomi Klein does the math”, 350.org.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Naomi Klein: Obama’s delay or Keystone XL Oil Pipeline Decision is Win for Environmentalists” . Youtube. November 11, 2011 . Retrieved November 7, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Occupy Wall Street: The Most Important Thing in the World Now” . The Nation . October 6, 2011 . Retrieved November 7, 2012 .
- Jump up^ TEDWomen. “Naomi Klein: Addicted to risk | Video on” . Ted.com . Retrieved November 7, 2012 .
- Jump up^ September 2, 2011 5:34 PM ET (September 2, 2011). “Naomi Klein arrested at DC pipeline protest – World – CBC News” . Cbc.ca . Retrieved November 7, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Copenhagen’s failure belongs to Obama | Naomi Klein | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk” . Guardian. January 21, 2009 . Retrieved November 7, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Naomi Klein Implicates Corporate Climate Lobbyists at COP15” . YouTube . Retrieved November 7, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Naomi Klein Gives Angry Mermaid Award in Copenhagen” . Youtube. January 15, 2009 . Retrieved November 7, 2012 .
- Jump up^ The Nation, “Super Storm Sandy – a People’s Shock?”
- Jump up^ “Naomi Klein on Twitter” . Retrieved November 10, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Visiting teaching fellows” . London School of Economics and Political Science . Retrieved September 9, 2007 .
- Jump up^ “Intellectuals-the results” . Prospect Magazine . Prospect Publishing Limited. July 26, 2008.
- Jump up^ “Video: Naomi Klein to police:” Do not play public relations, do your goddamned job! ” ” . Rabble.ca and Youtube.com . July 28, 2010 . Retrieved June 28, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Honourary Degrees to be conferred on Sister Sandra Barrett, Naomi Klein and Brad Woodside at Spring Convocation on May 15” . St. Thomas University. April 27, 2011 . Retrieved October 10, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Klein, Naomi (October 6, 2011). “Occupy Wall Street: The Most Important Thing in the World Now” . The Nation . Retrieved March 30, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Michael Moore, Naomi Klein and Others on What’s Next for OWS” . The Nation . November 9, 2011 . Retrieved March 30, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Official Book Website for Going Rouge ” . OR Books.