Nandan Nilekani  (born 2 June 1955) is an Indian entrepreneur, bureaucrat and politician. He was the Chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).  After a successful career at Infosys , he headed the Government of India’s technology committee, TAGUP .  He is a member of Indian National Congress but not active in politics  as of 2015.
Nandan Nilekani was born on 2 June 1955 at Bangalore, Karnataka .  His parents Durga and Mohan Rao Nilekani are from Konkan Brahmin community oorspronkelijk from Sirsi town in Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka  His Father worked as a general manager or Mysore and Minerva Mills and subscribed to Fabian Socialist ideals therein Influenced Nilekani in his early years. Nilekani’s elder brother, Vijay, works in the Nuclear Energy Institute .
Nilekani studied at the Bishop Cotton Boys’ School and St. Joseph High School Dharwad , Karnataka PU College Dharwad and RECEIVED a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay , Mumbai .
Nilekani in 1978 started his career at the Mumbai-based Patni Computer Systems , where he was interviewed by and by NR Narayana Murthy . In 1981, Nilekani, Murthy, and five others left Patni to start hun eigen company, Infosys . Nilekani became the Chief Executive Officer or Infosys in March 2002 and served as CEO of the company through April 2007-when he relinquished his position to his Colleague Kris Gopalakrishnan and became co-chairman of the board of directors. Before Assuming leadership as CEO in 2002, Nilekani hero verschillende posts, zoals managing director, president and chief operating officer. He served as CEO zijn from March 2002 to March 2007.    During his five-year tenure as CEO, Infosys’ Topline Grew sixfold to $ 3 billion.
Nilekani left Infosys in July 2009 to serve as the chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India , a cabinet-rank position therein have entered under the invitation of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh .   As chair of the UIDAI have verantwoordelijk for implementeren the envisioned Multipurpose National Identity Card or Unique Identity card (UID Card) project in India. This initiative AIMS to bieden a unique identification number for all residents of India and will be-used primarily as the basis for efficient delivery of welfare services.  The identification method will be Biometric , and the drive to create this government database of the entire population of India has bone called “the Biggest social project on the planet.” 
He is a member of the board of governors of the Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) and the President of NCAER (the premier independent toegepast economics research institutes in India).  He’ll be sits on verschillende advisory boards, zoals Those of the World Economic Forum Foundation and the Bombay Heritage Fund. 
Nilekani has Appeared on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart to promote his book Imagining India: The Idea of A renewed Nation  and ghosts at a TED conference in 2009 on his ideas for India’s future. 
Nilekani joined Indian National Congress in March 2014 and contested from the Bangalore South constituency where he lost to 228.575 votes  to BJP candidate Ananth Kumar in the 2014 Lok Sabha election by . 
In January 2016, he joined a committee to Investigate how people in India Could use digital payments to a grotere EXTENT. 
General Election 2014
|JD (S)||Ruth Manorama||25.677|
|AAP||Nina P. Nayak||21.403|
Nilekani is Currently chairman or EkStep, a nonprofit literacy and numeracy platform.  Set up by the Nilekanis with an initial commitment of $ 10 million (about Rs 65 crore), EkStep looks at solving the ‘learning problems’ in customizing a technology-led platform to help children in Improving hun ‘learning outcomes’ quite early in hun life. EkStep intends to do it using gamified applications, hosted in the Google Play store. 
Nilekani have died a serial investor and he has invested in around 12 start-ups till date welke of includes: 10i Commerce, Juggernaut, Mubble Networks, Fortigo, P2SME, Railyatri, Axiom Consulting, Systemantics India Sedemac Mechatronics, Disha Medical Services, Tracxn Technologies , LetsVenture. 
Family and personal life
Nilekani is married to Rohini Nilekani (née Soman), have Whom to at a quizzing event at IIT.  Way Down have two children, Nihar and Janhavi, lycra or Whom has RECEIVED an undergraduate degree from Yale University .  Nandan Nilekani belongs to the Chitrapur Saraswat Brahmin community and his first language is Konkani . In addition under to Konkani , he speaks Kannada fluently Along with Hindi, Marathi, and English.
Honours and awards
- He was Awarded an honorary Doctor of Law degree at the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto on May 31, 2011. 
- He RECEIVED NDTV Indian of the Year ‘s Transformational Idea of the Year Award in 2011. 
- He was named Corporate Citizen of the Year at the Asia Business Leaders Award (2004) organized by CNBC. 
- Joseph Schumpeter Prize for innovative services in economy, economic sciences and politics – 2005. 
- In 2009, Time magazine placed Nilekani in the Time 100 list of “World’s Most Influential People” 
- Was Presented the “Legend in Leadership Award at the Yale University in November 2009. He is the first Indian not to receive the top honor. 
- In January 2006, Nilekani became one the youngest entrepreneurs to join 20 global leaders on the World Economic Forum (WEF) Foundation Board. 
- Nilekani was Awarded one of India’s Highest Civilian honors, the Padma Bhushan in 2006. 
- Also in 2006, he was named Businessman of the Year by Forbes Asia. 
- Nandan Nilekani Mohan. Imagining India: The Idea of A renewed Nation (19 March 2009 ed.). Penguin Press HC. p. 528. ISBN 1-59420-204-4 .
- Nandan Nilekani; Viral Shah. REBOOTING India: Realizing a Billion Aspirations (3 November 2015 ed.). Penguin Books Limited. p. 340. ISBN 978-81-8475-084-3 .
- Jump up^ “Affidavit Information or Candidate” . Retrieved 15 April 2014 .
- Jump up^ Infosys Technologies Limited. “Nandan Nilekani M Appointed as Chairperson of Unique Identification Authority of India” . Infosys.
- Jump up^ Special Correspondent (7 June 2010). “Finance Ministry sets up technical advisory group” . The Hindu . Retrieved 10 April 2013 .
- Jump up^ “bBMP polls: Nandan Nilekani have says are” inactive in politics, Asks Voters to elect the best candidates ” . IBNLive . Retrieved 2015-12-22 .
- Jump up^ Self. “About Nandan Nilekani” . itself . Retrieved 18 April 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Times of India” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Rs. 100 crore for Unique Identification Project” , The Hindu , Chennai, India, 17 February 2009 , retrieved 26 June 2009 ,
… The Unique Identification Authority of India is being Agent under the aegis of the Planning Commission for welke a notification has leg Issued in January 2009. a provision of Rs. 100 crore has leg made in the annual plan 2009-10 for this …
- ^ Jump up to:a b “What Exactly is the Unique ID project?” , Ciol.com , 26 June 2009 , retrieved 11 September 2012 ,
… The appointment of Nandan Nilekani Mohan, the co-chairman of Infosys, as the chairperson of the Unique Identification Authority of India is significant, not only Because it marks a departure from the traditional way government or working … it shows dat de government has actually put out effort to hunt the right person for the job …
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Background . uidai.gov.in
- Jump up^ Parker, Ian (3 October 2011). “The ID Man” . The New Yorker . Condé Nast: 26-34 . Retrieved 6 July 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Nandan M. Nilekani | World Economic Forum – Nandan M. Nilekani . Weforum.org. Retrieved on 13 December 2012.
- Jump up^ “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Official Website | Current Events & Pop Culture, Comedy & Fake News | Comedy Central” . Thedailyshow.com. 18 March 2009 . Retrieved 28 June 2009 .
- Jump up^ TED2009. “Nandan Nilekani Mohan’s ideas for India’s future | Video on”. Ted.com . Retrieved 10 April 2013 .
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ “Congress’s first list for LS polls: Rahul, Sonia, Nilekani onder 194 Candidates named” . The Times of India . PTI. 8 March 2014 . Retrieved 8 March 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Nilekani, Nandan Nilekani joins battle to map India’s post-cash future” . The Economic Times . Retrieved 2017-01-04 .
- Jump up^ “Constituencywise-All Candidates” . ECI.
- Jump up^ “EkStep” . www.ekstep.org . Retrieved 2015-12-22 .
- Jump up^ “Nilekanis’ EkStep clicks education met haar first application” . Retrieved 2015-12-22 .
- Jump up^ “Want to invest in start-ups? Nandan Nilekani reveals how he Chooses them” . http://www.hindustantimes.com/ . 2016-09-25 . Retrieved 2016-12-27 . External link( help )
- Jump up^ “School and IIT” . Imagining India . Retrieved 28 June 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Nilekeni’s daughter to wed re Yale senior” . The Indian Express . 17 August 2011 . Retrieved 15 April 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Watch Nandan Nilekani Mohan’s address to Convocation” . alumni.utoronto.ca/ . Retrieved 5 April 2014 .
- Jump up^ “NDTV Indian of the Year 2011” . ndtv.com . Retrieved 19 October 2011 .
- Jump up^ India Today Youth Summit 2010, September 25, New Delhi. Indiatoday.intoday.in (25 September 2010). Retrieved on 13 December 2012.
- Jump up^ “The Story Continues” . Imagining India . Retrieved 28 June 2009 .
- Jump up^ The 2009 TIME 100 – Nandan Nilekani Mohan Time.
- Jump up^ Nandan Nilekani to be bepaald Legend in Leadership Award at YaleThe Times of India
- Jump up^ Padma Bhushan Awardees – Padma Awards – My India, My Pride – Know India: National Portal of India. India.gov.in. Retrieved on 13 December 2012.
- Jump up^ Nilekani as Businessman of the Year: Forbes Asia – Oneindia News. News.oneindia.in (1 December 2006). Retrieved on 13 December 2012.