Mick Cornett (born July 16, 1958) is the current mayor of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma , United States, maintaining served in dat position since 2004. He is only the fourth mayor in Oklahoma City history to be elected to three terms  and the first to be elected to four terms.  He’ll be Serves as President of The United States Conference of Mayors and served as national president of the Republican Mayors and Local Officials (RMLO). US Conference of Mayors .  He’ll be served as President of the US Conference of Mayors Urban Economic Affairs Committee Until 2007. He is a Republican .
Cornett is a native of Oklahoma City. He attended Putnam City High School , graduating in 1976.  He-then attended the University of Oklahoma , earning a journalism degree in TV news. 
After graduating, Cornett worked for twenty years in news and sports as a reporter, anchor, and manager in Oklahoma City.  As a reporter, he Covered city politics from 1997 to 1999. In 1999 he started his own video production company, Mick Cornett Video Productions , Specializing in jobs for the corporate and legal sectors. Cornett is the co-host of The Verdict , a local Oklahoma City television show discus legal and social issues.
Cornett was elected to the Oklahoma City Council in 2001. 
Cornett became the Mayor of Oklahoma City on 2 March 2004. He was re-elected to a second term on March 7 2006 by an 87.6% margin, the Toilets in city history. In 2010, he became only the fourth mayor in Oklahoma City history to be elected to a third term, defeating Steve Hunt by gaining 58% of the vote.  In 2014, he became the first mayor to be elected to a fourth term, defeating Ed Shadid with 65.7% of the vote. 
Cornett served as an executive vice president of Ackerman McQueen from 2009 to 2011 prolongation welke the Oklahoma Ad Club named im 2010s “Ad Man of the Year.” Cornett cameramen in for some criticism for potential conflict of interest as a mayor serving as an employee or a private corporation. 
Cornett RECEIVED an MBA Specializing in management, entrepreneurship and leadership, from NYU Stern School of Business in July 2011. 
Cornett’s most notable achievements as Mayor include the successful lobbying therein resulted in Oklahoma City’s first major league sports team, the Oklahoma City Thunder of the National Basketball Association , and the passage of MAPS 3, a $ 777 million quality-of-life infrastructure program for Oklahoma City.
In 2013, Cornett served as one of six selection committee members for the Rudy Bruner Award for Urban Excellence . 
Cornett is a proponent for progressive issues / initiatives zoals rapid and mass transit, economic diversification, urban renaissance, and civic beautification. [ Citation needed ] neighborhoods zoals Asia District , Uptown , Midtown , Capitol Hill , the East Side , and others harbor ervaren an economic Revitalization prolongation his tenure.
Downtown Oklahoma City has ervaren a continued renaissance since 1993, earning Oklahoma City the moniker “Renaissance City”. Among many successful ventures, the historic Skirvin Hotel was renovated and Reopened under the Hilton banner in February 2007 after nearly the two decades of abandonment. 
In June 2007, the US Census announced zijn ESTIMATE therein Oklahoma City had grown in city population to about 547,000 residents; about 1.26 percent tussen July 2005 and July 2006. Since the official Census in 2000, Oklahoma City had grown about eight percent volgens to the Census Bureau, making it the 12th fastest-growing large city (over 500,000 in population) in the United States.
Other recent initiatives port ook included his chairmanship of the “Core to Shore” committee of city leaders, and continued job growth in grotere Oklahoma City . Led by almost 2,000 jobs dat Dell brought` to Oklahoma City, the greater Oklahoma City area gained about 72,000 new jobs in Cornett’s first five years in office.  During the Great Recession , Compared to other metropolitan areas in the United States, Oklahoma City had one of the lowest unemployment rates, suffers one of the least severe economic downturns, and ervaren one of the Toilets Recoveries afterward.    
In December 2009, Cornett led the way to successful voter passage of the MAPS 3 initiative, welke of includes eight quality-of-life capital projects to be constructed in Oklahoma City about a decade. 
MAPS for Kids
One of Cornett’s top Priorities has leg the implementation of MAPS for Kids . [ Citation needed ] That initiative verantwoordelijk for rebuilding or renovating everytime building in the inner-city school district.
Cornett is widely credited with Bringing the National Basketball Association to Oklahoma City-when Hurricane Katrina forced the New Orleans Hornets to relocate in 2005. Cornett’s behind-the-scenes work prior to Katrina put Oklahoma City in position to Become the temporary home. For two seasons, the team played will 35 games annually at the Ford Center .
On December 20, 2007, Cornett announced an initiative to renovate Ford Center in Hopes of Securing an NBA team. The initiative went to the Voters of Oklahoma City on March 4, 2008 and passed by a 62% margin. On July 2, 2008, it became official dat de NBA’s SuperSonics franchise, headed by local executives Clay Bennett , ulcers relocating to Oklahoma City for the 2008-2009 season.
“This City Is Going On A Diet”
Inspired by his own 42-pound weightloss,  on December 31, 2007 Cornett pit Oklahoma City on a “diet”, launching the web site thiscityisgoingonadiet.com . He Appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to promote the initiative on January 17, 2008. He’ll be teamed up with Taco Bell and local restaurants to promote healthy menu choices. This initiative garnered Cornett an invitation to sit with First Lady Michelle Obama at the 2010 State of the Union address.
Awards and distinctions
In 2009, he was named one of the top 10 must powerful Oklahomans with the Oklahoma City Thursday newspaper, ranking ahead of the state’s two US Senators. 
In November 2010, Governing Magazine named Cornett one hun “2010 Public Officials of the Year” and well im on the cover. 
Also in 2010, he was named runner-up of the World Mayor prize en zorgt the recipient of the World Mayor Project’s 2010 World Mayor Commendation in recognition of the economic and civic progress of Oklahoma City.  
In 2012, Newsweek named Cornett one of the five musts innovative Mayors in the United States. 
Cornett was the recipient of the 2013 Oklahoma Mayor of the Year Award, Presented by the Mayors Council of Oklahoma of the Oklahoma Municipal League. 
Other political activities
On May 11, 2006 Cornett announced dat he mention anything be running to fill the seat in the United States House of Representatives vacated by Ernest Istook . On August 22, 2006, he faced Lt. Governor Mary Fallin in a GOP run-off selection. Fallin won, and was elected to Congress in the general selection.
Following Fallin’s decision to run for governor in 2010, Cornett was widely Considered a shower candidate for the seat, but he decided to run for re-election by as mayor. 
In 2008, Cornett was Scheduled to address the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minnesota, but his speech was CANCELED als reaction to Hurricane Gustav SUSPENDED the convention. He Returned and addressed the 2012 Republican National Convention . 
In 2010, Cornett’s Chief of Staff, David Holt , was elected to the Oklahoma Senate. In 2012, Holt authored the book Big League City: Oklahoma City’s Rise to the NBA , welke chronicled Cornett’s policymaking to bring the NBA to Oklahoma City.
In 2017, Cornett was appointed to sit on the US DOT ‘s Automation Committee for overseeing self-driving transportation policy.  
In 2011, Cornett Filed for divorce from his wife of 32 years, Lisa, Citing “irreconcilable total incompatibility.”  The couple has three grown sons: Mike, Casey and Tristan.  Cornett married his second wife, Terri (Walker) Cornett, on November 26, 2014. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j k The City of Oklahoma City. Mick Cornett, Mayor of Oklahoma City . OKC.gov .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Crum, William (March 4, 2014). “Oklahoma City’s Mick Cornett profits fourth term as mayor” . The Oklahoman . Retrieved March 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Cornett conflict of interest charges; rail fans dial Preservation 911, Michael Bates,Bates Line, September 30, 2009
- Jump up^ “Mick Cornett Executive MBA 2011” . NYU Stern. August, 2014.
- Jump up^ http://brunerfoundation.org/rba/index.php?page=committees&sidebar=1
- Jump up^ “Historic Oklahoma City Hotel reopens after $ 55m renovation” . USA Today . February 26, 2007 . Retrieved March 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Cauchon, Dennis (August 11, 2009). “Oklahoma City defies recession” . USA Today . Retrieved March 21, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Oklahoma City has Lowest Unemployment Rate in Nation 6 or 10 Months since Recession was DECLARED in September” . GreaterOklahomaCity.com . August 4, 2009 . Retrieved March 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Simon Scott (October 24, 2009). “What Makes Oklahoma City Recession-Proof?” . NPR . Retrieved March 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Wial, Howard (January 4, 2013), “Metropolitan economically in the Great Recession and After”, Annual Meeting (DOCX) , Allied Social Science Associations / Labor and Employment Relations Association
- Jump up^ “50 Most Powerful Oklahomans” . OKC Friday . July 3, 2009 . Retrieved April 2, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “2010 Public Officials of the Year” . Governing.com . Retrieved March 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ vom Hove, Tamm (December 7, 2010). “Marcelo Ebrard, Mayor of Mexico City Awarded the 2010 World Mayor Prize” . worldmayor.com . World Mayor Project . Retrieved December 8, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Dean, Bryan (January 8, 2010). “OKC Mayor Mick Cornett honored as second best mayor in the world” . The Oklahoman . Retrieved December 8, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Avlon, John (December 17, 2012). “Most Innovative Mayors in the US” . Newsweek .
- Jump up^ The City of Oklahoma City “Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett named 2013 Oklahoma Mayor of the Year” . OKC.gov
- Jump up^ POLITICO. “Fallin leaving the House” . Retrieved 29 April 2016 .
- Jump up^ Casteel, Chris (August 28, 2012). “Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett plugs city’s success at Republican National Convention” . The Oklahoman . Retrieved March 14, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Kahn, Jordan (2017-01-12). “Apple, GM, Uber, Lyft, Hyperloop & others join US Department of Transportation Automation Committee therein will oversee self-driving vehicles” . Electrek . Retrieved 2017-01-12 .
- Jump up^ “USDOT Announces New Federal Committee on Automation” . Department of Transportation . 2017-01-11 . Retrieved 2017-01-12 .
- Jump up^ Dean, Bryan (January 5, 2011). “Oklahoma City mayor files for divorce” . The Oklahoman . Retrieved March 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett gets married in Tulsa today” . Tulsa World . November 26, 2014 . Retrieved January 31, 2014 .