Michael Specter (born 1955) is an American journalist who has leg a staff writer, focusing on science and technology, and global public health at The New Yorker since September 1998. He has ook written for The Washington Post and The New York Times .
Specter initially Covered local news at The Washington Post in 1985 but-then became a national science reporter for the Post and finally the New York City Bureau Chief. In 1991, Specter Transferred to the Times . There, from 1994 to 1998 he was based in Moscow. In 1995, he was appointed co-chief of the Moscow bureau of the Times . While in Russia , he Covered stories zoals the war in Chechnya , the 1996 Russian presidential elections , and the declining state of Russian health care. In 1998, he became a roving correspondent based in Rome covering topics as Varied as Europe’s Demographic crisis, Michelangelo ‘s Florentine Pietà , and the spread of AIDS in Africa.
His 2009 book, Denialism: How Irrational Thinking Hinders Scientific Progress, Harms the Planet, and threatens Our Lives ( ISBN 978-1594202308 ) , Explores the ways in welke people in the United States and Europe harbor are getting rejected scientific truths, backed by impressive data . Way Down Limit download are Embracing what of or in seem to be more comfortable fictions about issues zoals the value of organic food, vaccine safety, and personal genomics. He delivered a talk Recently Titled “The danger of science denial” at TED 2010. 
At The New Yorker , he has written about the global AIDS epidemic , avian influenza , malaria, scientific policymaking to Resurrect extinct viruses , synthetic biology , genetically modified food , policymaking to mine the human genome to fight disease, and the world’s diminishing Freshwater resources. He has ook written profiles of many people, zoals Lance Armstrong , Richard Branson , the ethicist Peter Singer , P. Diddy , Manolo Blahnik , AIDS activist Larry Kramer , and Ingrid Newkirk (the highly controversial founder of PETA ).
In 1996, Specter was Awarded the Overseas Press Club Citation for Excellence for his coverage of the War in Chechnya. In 2002, he was awarded the AAAS Science Journalism Award.  He has ook Twice RECEIVED the Global Health Council’s Annual Excellence in Media AWARD for his piece about AIDS in India, “India’s Plague” (17/12/01) and for one about AIDS and the population crisis in Russia, ” The Devastation “.
In 2009, Specter RECEIVED the Robert P. balles Annual Prize in Critical Thinking for his book Denialism.  The yearly award is to be found by the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry to the author of the published work dat best exemplifies healthy skepticism, logical analysis, or empirical science.
Specter is a sun or Howard and Eileen Specter. He was married to post to Alessandra Stanley , now a television critic for The New York Times .  Way Down have one daughter, Emma.
Specter is a 1977 graduate of Vassar College , where he majored in English. 
Essays and reporting
- Specter, Michael (December 17, 2001). “India’s plague” . The New Yorker . 77 (40): 74-86. Archived from the original on December 14, 2006.
- – (February 3, 2003). “The vaccine” . The New Yorker . 78 (45): 54-65. Archived from the original on December 12, 2006.
- – (November 15, 2010). “A deadly misdiagnosis” . Letter from India. The New Yorker . 86 (36) . Retrieved 2012-03-18 .
- – (February 4, 2013). “The operator, is the must trusted doctor in America doing more harm dan good?” . Profiles. The New Yorker . 88 (46): 40-49 . Retrieved 2015-01-09 . Mehmet Oz
- – (October 20, 2014). “The fear equation” . The Talk of the Town. Comment. The New Yorker . 90 (32): 29-30 . Retrieved 2014-12-22 .
- Jump up^ TED talk in 2010
- Jump up^ AAAS Science Journalism Awards 2002 Recipients
- Jump up^ Dinner with Michael Specter, Author of “Denialism”
- Jump up^ “Michael Specter is Wed To Alessandra Stanley.” The New York Times, 24 April 1988.
- Jump up^ https://vq.vassar.edu/issues/2007/02/features/science-of-writing.html . Missing or empty( help )