Michael M. Merzenich (born in 1942 in Lebanon, Oregon ) is a professor emeritus neuroscientist at the University of California, San Francisco . His contributions to the field are numerous. He took the sensory cortex maps developed by his predecessors like Archie Tunturi Clinton Woolsey, Vernon Mount Castle , Wade Marshall, and Philip Bard, and refined Them using dense microelectrode mapping techniques. Using this, he definitively Showed there to be multiple somatotopic maps of the body in the post central sulcus,   and multiple tonotopic maps of the acoustic inputs in the superior temporal plane. 
He led the cochlear implant team at UCSF,   welke zijn Transferred technology to Advanced Bionics,  and hun version is the Clarion cochlear implant.  He collaborated with Bill Jenkins and Gregg Recanzone to demo streets sensory maps are labile into adulthood in animals performing operant sensory tasks.    He collaborated with Paula Tallal, Bill Jenkins and Steve Miller to transform the company Scientific Learning.   This was based on Fast forword software they ‘co-invented dat produces improvements in children’s language skills therein has bone related to the magnitude or hun temporal processing impairments prior to training. 
Merzenich was director and Chief Scientific Officer of Scientific Learning tussen November 1996 and January 2003. Merzenich took two sabbaticals from UCSF in 1997 and 2004. In 1997 he led research teams at Scientific Learning Corporation, and in 2004 at Posit Science Corporation .  Currently, Merzenich’s second company, Posit Science Corporation, is working on a broad range of behavioral therapies. Their lead product is brain training application called BrainHQ (TM).  Merzenich’s Chief Scientific Officer and on the Board of Directors at Posit Science. 
Born in Lebanon , Oregon in 1942,   Merzenich Grew up fascinated with science. He attended the University of Portland in Portland, Oregon earning his Bachelor of Science in 1964.   Lord, he was valedictorian , Receiving only one non-A, a C in a philosophy course in welke have argued with the instructor . In 1968 he earned his PhD in Physiology at Johns Hopkins Medical School in the lab or Vernon Mount Castle , Studying neural coding of stimulus magnitude in the hairy skin.   He left Johns Hopkins to conduct his Postdoctoral Studies at the University of Wisconsin under Jerzy Rose. There, he did a cross-species analysis of the cochlear nucleus in large game cats and pinnipeds, did the first auditory cortical microelectrode maps in the macaque with John Bruges, and the first somatosensory maps in the macaque with neurosurgeon Ron Paul. He earned his neurofysiologie fellowship tussen 1968 and 1971.  He left Wisconsin to join the faculty at UCSF as the only basic scientist in the Clinical Otolaryngology Department, head and neck surgery.   Merzenich started with UCSF in 1971 as faculty member Becoming full professor in 1980.  Merzenich was Co-Director at the Coleman Memorial Laboratory where he conducted research on the cerebral cortex . He was ook de Francis A. SOOY Chair of Otolaryngology in the Keck Center for Integrative Neurosciences at UCSF.  His research gekeken neurological illness, learning processes and the neurological processes of the cerebral cortex.  He resten in the assembly department, now as a professor emeritus , retiring in 2007. 
Research on Brain plasticity
Merzenich has collaborated in numerous studies Researching brain plasticity. In February 2004, Merzenich watch a TED talk Titled “Growing evidence of brain plasticity” welke wordt the basic findings of his research. Merzenich as helped to Identify two distinct periods of brain plasticity: The Critical Period and the period or Adult plasticity.  The Infant Critical Period is als a child’s brain establishes neural processes for the stimuli to welke it is Presented.  The Adult plasticity period is als the brain refines zijn neural processes as it masters a variety of tasks.  
Understanding how the brain kan re-wire Itself has allowed Merzenich, Tallal, and other colleagues’ to developement strategies to remediate personen with ANY speech, language, and reading deficits.   Through research in experience dependent learning with non-human primates, neurophysiologists waaronder Merzenich port demonstrated dat neuroplasticity resten through adulthood.     Further studies with monkeys suggested dat de Hebbian learning principles therein drive neuroplasticity kan be-used to treat learning-language impaired children.   
In May 1999, Merzenich was honored by election by withinto the National Academy of Sciences for his research on brain plasticity .   He went on to be elected to the National Academy’s Institute of Medicine in 2008, making im one of a very select few to port leg elected to morethan one of the National Academies.  As of 2001, have RECEIVED the Award for Distinguished Scientific Contributions.  He has bone Awarded the International Ipsen Prize,  Zülch Prize of the Max Planck Institute,  Thomas Alva Edison Patent Award,  the Purkinje Medal,  and Karl Spencer Lashley Award. In 2015, the National Academy of Engineering Awarded Dr. Merzenich the Fritz J. and Dolores H. Russ Prize , the must prestigious award in bioengineering , for his work on cochlear implants.   In 2016 he was Awarded one of the world’s top neuroscience great prizes, the Kavli Prize ,  for his achievements in the field of brain plasticity.
Merzenich has published morethan 200 articles. His work is ook of or in Covered in the popular press, zoals The New York Times , The Wall Street Journal , Time and Newsweek . He has Appeared on Sixty Minutes II, CBS Evening News and Good Morning America . His work has featured on leg four PBS specials and the ABC Australia documentary “Redesign My Brain” (welke Aired on Discovery Channel as “Hack My Brain” in the United States.) He holds nearly the 100 US patents.  
|Year||Grant abstract||Citation||Recipient organization||granted by||Amount||Inflationary conversion |
|2005-2006||Brain plasticity-based training for focal dystonia||||Posit Science Corporation||NICHD||$ 195.727||$ 240 thousand|
|2001-2005||Auditory and somatosensory cortex Javits grant||||UCSF||NINDS||$ 1,662,734||$ 2.25 million|
|2005||Brain plasticity-based training for Schizophrenia Fast Track proposal||||Posit Science Corporation||NIMH||$ 139.811||$ 171 thousand|
|2005||Brain plasticity rehabilitaton or visual cognition||||Posit Science Corporation||NEI||$ 97.350||$ 119 thousand|
|1996-2000||Functional organization or auditory cortex somatosensory||||UCSF||NINDS||$ 1,245,234||$ 1.9 million|
|1992-1995||Design Of Pediatric Cochlear Implants||||UCSF||NIDCD||$ 1,097,866||$ 1.87 million|
|1981-1995||Functional Organization Of The Central Auditory System||||UCSF||NINDS||$ 1,324,202||$ 2.26 million|
|1987||Sensory Disorders And Language Study Section||||US PHS PUBLIC ADVISORY GROUPS||CSR||–||–|
|1987||Scala Tympani Electrode Arrays||||UCSF||NINDS||–||–|
|1977-1980||Development Of An Acoustic Prosthesis||||UCSF||NINDS||–||–|
|1980-1982||Develop Electrodes For Auditory Prosthesis||||UCSF||NINDS||–||–|
|1975-1980||Functional Organization Of The Auditory System||||UCSF||NINDS||–||–|
|1977-1980||Develop Multichannel Electrodes For Auditory Prosthesis||||UCSF||NINDS||–||–|
|1972-1974||Studies On Organization Of Central Auditory System||||UCSF||NINDS||–||–|
Patents and Inventions
Merzenich holds nearly the 100 US patents. Along with Peter B. Delahunt, Joseph L. Hardy, Henry W. Mahncke, and Donald Richards hold the patent for visual emphasis for cognitive training exercises.  This patent Explores a computer system or visual learning. The participant observes a scene welke shows at least one foreground object Against a background. The background or foreground are modified to enhance the participants responses to beste a correct response in an iterative basis. 
Merzenich has Contributed to over 232 publications. 
- Stryker, Michael P .; Jenkins, William M .; Merzenich, MM (September 18, 1987). “Anesthetic States Does Not Affect the Map of the Hand Representation Within Area 3b Somatosensory Cortex in Owl Monkey” (PDF) . The Journal of Comparative Neurology . 258 (2): 297-303. doi : 10.1002 / cne.902580209 . PMID 3584542 .
- Allard, TT; Clark, WM Jenkins and MM Merzenich (September 18, 1987). “Syndactyly results in the emergence or dougle-digit is areas in somatosensory cortex in adult owl monkeys.”. Soc. Neurosci . Abstract 11: 965 (Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965).
- Jenkins, WM; Merzenich, MM and MT Ochs (September 18, 1987). “Behaviorally controlled differential use or restricted hand Surfaces induce changes in the cortical representation of the hand area 3b or adult owl monkeys.”. Soc. Neurosci . Abstract 10: 665 (Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965): 303.
- Jenkins, WM; Merzenich, MM (1987). “Reorganization of neocortical representations after brain injury: A neurophysiological model of the bases or recovery from stroke.”. Progress in Brain Research (Elsevier) FJ Sailing, E. Herbert, and BM Carlson (eds) (Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965): 303. doi : 10.1016 / s0079-6123 (08) 61829-4 .
- Merzenich, MM; Sur, M., RJ Nelson and JH Kaus (1981). “The organization of the Si cortex. Multiple representations of the body in primates.”. Cortical Sensory Organization CN Woolsey (ed) . 1: Multiple Somatic areas. (Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965): 303.
- Merzenich, MM; Cheese, JH, JT Wall, RJ Nelson, M. Sur and DJ Felleman (1983). “Topographic reorganization or somatosensory cortical areas 3b and 1 in adult monkeys volgende restricted deafferentation.”. Neuroscience . 8 (Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965): 33-55. doi : 10.1016 / 0306-4522 (83) 90024-6 . PMID 6835522 .
- Merzenich, MM; Cheese, JH, JT Wall, RJ Nelson, M. Sur and DJ Felleman (1983). “Progression of change volgende median nerve section in the cortical representation of the hand in areas 3b and 1 in adult owl and squirrel monkeys.”. Neuroscience . 10 (Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965): 639-665. doi : 10.1016 / 0306-4522 (83) 90208-7 . PMID 6646426 .
- Merzenich, MM; Jenkins, WM, JC MIDDLEBROOKS (1984). “Observations and hypotheses on special organizational features of the central auditory nervous system.”. Dynamic Aspects of neocortical function, G. Edleman, M. Cowan and E. Gall (eds). New York: J. Wiley and Sons (Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965): 303.
- Merzenich, MM; Nelson, RJ, JH Cheese, MP Stryker, JM Zook, MS Cynader , and A. Schoppmann (1987). “Variability in hand surface representations in areas 3b and 1 in adult owl and squirrel monkeys.” (PDF) . J. Comp. Neurol . 258 (2): 281-296. doi : 10.1002 / cne.902580208 . PMID 3584541 . Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965.
- Wall, JT; Cheese, JH, M. Sur, RJ Nelson, DJ Felleman, and MM Merzenich (1987). “Functional reorganization in somatosensory cortical areas 3b and 1 or adult monkeys after median nerve repair: Possible relationships to sensory recovery in humans.”. J. Neurosci . 6 (Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965): 218-233 . PMID 3944620 .
- Merzenich, MM; Jenkins, WM; Jonhston, P .; Schreiner, C .; Miller, SL; Tallal, P. (1996). “Temporal processing deficits of language-learning impaired children ameliorated by training”. Science . 271 : 77-81. doi : 10.1126 / science.271.5245.77 . PMID 8539603 .
- Merzenich, MM; Jenkins, WM (1995). “Cortical plasticity, learning, and learning dysfunction”. Maturational Windows and Adult Cortical plasticity, B. Julesz and I. Kovacs, eds . 23 : 247-271.
- Merzenich, MM; Tallal, P., B. Peterson, SL Miller, and WM Jenkins (1999). “Some neurological principles relevant to the origins of – and the cortical plasticity based Remediation or – language learning impairments”. Neuroplasticity: Building a Bridge from the Laboratory to the Clinic, J. Grafman, ed. : 169-187.
- Syka, Joseph; Merzenich, Michael M. (2003). Plasticity and Signal Representation in the Auditory System . Springer. ISBN 9780387231549 .
- Rosen, S .; Fourcin, AJ, Abberton, E., Walliker, JR Howard, DM, Moore, BCJ, Douek, EE & Frampton, S. (ed.) RA Schindler & MM Merzenich. (1985). “Assessing assessment. In Cochlear Implants, New York: Raven Press” . Springer.
- Merzenich, Michael, Soft-Wired: How the New Science of Brain plasticity Can Change Your Life 
- Merzenich, Michael, self-published memoir, A Childhood in the Sticks 
- Jump up^ Doidge, Norman (2007). The Brain therein Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science (Digitized online at google books) . Viking. ISBN 9780670038305 . Chapter 3 Redesigning the Brain – A Scientist Changes Brains to Sharpen Perception and Memory, Increase Speed of Thought, and Heal Learning Problems is a biography about Michael Merzenich.
- Jump up^ “Alumni Stories | Alumni | University of Portland” . University of Portland ,. 2009 . Retrieved 2009-01-03 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h “Michael M. Merzenich, PhD – Posit Science Corporation University of California at San Francisco” . Posit Science. 2014 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ Paul, RL; Merzenich, M. & H. Goodman (1972). “Representation of langzaam and rapidly adapting cutaneous mechanoreceptors of the hand in Brodmann’s areas 3 and 1 or Macaca mulatta.”. Brain Research . 36 (2): 229-49. doi :10.1016 / 0006-8993 (72) 90732-9 . PMID 4621596 .
- Jump up^ Merzenich, MM; Cheese, M., M. Sur and CS Lin (1978). “Double representation of the body surface binnen cytoarchitectonic areas 3b and 2 S in the owl monkey (Aotus trivirgatus)” (PDF) . J. Comp. Neurol . 181 (Listed in the bibliography for Abstract 11: 965): 41-73. doi : 10.1002 / cne.901810104 . PMID 98537 .
- Jump up^ Brain Research 50: 275-96 1973
- Jump up^ Med. Biol. Eng. Computing 21: 241-54 1983
- Jump up^ “BionicEar.com – Harmony Cochlear Implant at Advanced Bionics” . Advanced Bionics . 2009 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “BionicEar.com – Harmony Cochlear Implant at Advanced Bionics” . Advanced Bionics . 2009 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ Jenkins, WM; Merzenich, MM, MT Ochs, T. Allard and E. Guic-Robles (1990). “Functional reorganization of primary somatosensory cortex in adult owl monkeys after behaviorally controlled tactile stimulation” . J Neurophysiol . 63 (1): 82-104.
- Jump up^ J. Neurophysiol. 67: 1031-56 1992
- Jump up^ J. Neurosci. 13: 87-103 1993
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “Michael M. Merzenich | Scientific Learning” . Scientific Learning Corporation. 1997-2009 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ Science 271: 77-84 1996
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Michael M. Merzenich Profile – Forbes.com” . Forbes.com LLC. 2008 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ BrainHQ
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Award for Distinguished Scientific Contributions: Michael M. Merzenich.” . PsycARTICLES: Citation and Abstract . American Psychologist. Vol 56 (11), Nov 2001 878-881 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 . This is an article welke requires purchase
- Jump up^ A Childhood in the Sticks, author MM Merzenich
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “OHNS – Faculty Profiles” . Faculty profiles . 2003. Archived from the original on September 30, 2008 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ Exp. Brain Res. 10: 251-64 1970
- Jump up^ OHNS at UCSF
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “Michael Merzenich: Growing evidence of brain plasticity” . TED . TED Conferences LLC . Retrieved 2016-02-19 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Merzenich, M .; Jenkins, WM (1995). “Cortical plasticity, learning, and learning dysfunction.”. Maturational Windows and Adult Cortical plasticity . 23 : 247-271.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Merzenich, M .; Tallal, P .; Peterson, B .; Miller, SL; Jenkins, WM (1999). “Some neurological principles relevant to the origins of – and the cortical plasticity based Remediation or – language learning impairments”. Neuroplasticity: Building a Bridge from the Laboratory to the Clinic : 169-187.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Merzenich, MM; Jenkins, WM; Johnston, P .; Schreiner, C .; Miller, SL; Tallal, P. (1996). “Temporal processing deficits of language-learning impaired children ameliorated by training”. Science . 111 : 77-81.
- Jump up^  http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/Merzenich-Elected-to-Institute-of-Medicine-27287-1/
- Jump up^ “Dr. Michael M. Merzenich” . Russ Prize Website . National Academy of Engineering . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ Farley, Pete (7 January 2015). “UCSF’s Merzenich Profit Russ Prize, Bioengineering’s Highest Honor” . UCSF News Center . University of California San Francisco . Retrieved 19 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Michael Merzenich Profit 2016 Kavli Prize in Neuroscience” . UC San Francisco . Retrieved 2016-07-27 .
- Jump up^ Lashley Award Recipients
- Jump up^ Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. “Consumer Price Index (ESTIMATE) 1800-“. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis . Retrieved January 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Brain plasticity Based Training for Focal Dystonia” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Auditory and somatosensory cortex” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Brain plasticity-based training for Schizophrenia” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Brain plasticity rehabilitaton or visual cognition” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Functional organization or auditory somatosensory cortex” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Design Of Pediatric Cochlear Implants” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Functional Organization Of The Central Auditory System” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Sensory Disorders And Language Study Section” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Scala Tympani Electrode Arrays” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Development Of An Acoustic Prosthesis” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Develop Electrodes For Auditory Prosthesis” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Functional Organization Of The Auditory System” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Develop Multichannel Electrodes For Auditory Prosthesisunctional Organization Of The Auditory System” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “ResearchCrossroads Research Grant Studies On Organization Of Central Auditory System” . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “Michael M. Merzenich – Patents & Inventors” . FreshContext LLC / Freshpatents.com. 2008 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “Visual specialization for cognitive training exercises” . Patent # 20080084427 . FreshContext LLC / Freshpatents.com. 2008 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ “Merzenich – PubMed Results” . PubMed A service of the US National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health . Department of Health & Human Services, US National Library of Medicine. 2003 . Retrieved 2009/01/02 .
- Jump up^ Merzenich, Dr. Michael (2013). Soft-wired: how the new science of brain plasticity kan change your life (2nd ed.). San Francisco, Calif .: Parnassus Pub. ISBN 0989432823 . Retrieved 9 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ Ellison, Katherine (May 21, 2007). “Video games vs. the Aging Brain Aging” . DISCOVER Magazine . Retrieved 2009-01-03 .