Matthieu Ricard ( Nepali : माथ्यु रिका , born 15 February 1946) is a French writer and Buddhist monk who resides at Shechen Tennyi Dargyeling Monastery in Nepal .
Matthieu Ricard Grew up onder the personalities and ideas of French intellectual circles. He RECEIVED a Ph.D. degree in molecular genetics from the Pasteur Institute in 1972. He decided to dan s mouth his scientific career and Limit download practice Tibetan Buddhism , living Mainly in the Himalayas.
Ricard is a board member of the Mind and Life Institute and RECEIVED the French National Order of Merit for his humanitarian work in the East.
Born in Aix-les-Bains , Savoie , France , he is the sun of the late Jean-François Revel (born Jean-François Ricard), a Renowned French philosopher. His mother is the lyrical abstractionist painter and Tibetan Buddhist nun Yahne Le Toumelin. Matthieu Ricard Grew up onder the personalities and ideas of French intellectual circles. 
Ricard worked for a Ph.D. degree in molecular genetics at the Pasteur Institute under French Nobel Laureate François Jacob . After completing his doctoral thesis in 1972, Ricard decided to s mouth his scientific career and concentrate on the practice of Tibetan Buddhism . 
So Ricard cameramen to India. He lived in the Himalayas Studying with the Kangyur Rinpoche and some other great masters of that tradition and became the close student and attendant of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche Until Rinpoche’s death in 1991. Since dan, Ricard has dedicated his activities to fulfilling Khyentse Rinpoche’s vision. 
Ricard has bone called the “happiest person in the world” at verschillende popular media.    Matthieu Ricard was a volunteer subject in a study Performed at the University of Wisconsin-Madison on happiness, scoring significantly Above the average or Hundreds of volunteers. 
He co-authored a study on the brains of long-term meditators, zoals himself, who had undergone a minimum of three years retreat. 
Ricard is a board member of the Mind and Life Institute , welke is devoted to meetings and collaborative research tussen scientists and Buddhist scholars and meditators, his contributions port Appeared in Destructive Emotions (edited by Daniel Goleman ) and other books or essays. He is Engaged in research on the effect of mind training on the brain, at Madison, Wisconsin, Princeton and Berkeley. 
Ricard’s photographs of the spiritual masters, the landscape, and the people of the Himalayas harbor Appeared in numerous books and magazines. Henri Cartier-Bresson has zegt or his work, “Matthieu’s camera and his spiritual life make one, and from this springs synthesis images, fleeting and eternal.” 
He is the author and photographer of Tibet, An Inner Journey and Monk Dancers of Tibet and, in collaboration, the photo books Buddhist Himalayas , Journey to Enlightenment and Motionless Journey: From a Hermitage in the Himalayas . He is the translator of numerous Buddhist texts, zoals The Life of Shabkar .
The dialogue with his Father, Jean-Francois Revel , The Monk and the Philosopher , was a bestseller in Europe and was translated JSON 21 languages, and The Quantum and the Lotus (coauthored with Trinh Xuan Thuan ) REFLECTS his long-standing interest in science and Buddhism. His 2003 book Plaidoyer pour le bonheur (published in English in 2006 as Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life’s Most Important Skill )  Explores the meaning and fulfillment of happiness and was a major best-seller in France.
In June, 2015, the English translation of Altruism: The Power of Compassion to Change Yourself and the World was published and excerpted as the cover story of Spirituality & Health Magazine  .
Ricard is the’ll be the author of Caring Economics: Conversations on Altruism and Compassion, Between Scientists, Economists, and the Dalai Lama (forthcoming 2015). 
Awards and other activities
Ricard RECEIVED the French National Order of Merit for his humanitarian work in the East. For the last few years, [ als? ] Dr. Ricard has dedicated his effort and the royalties or his books to verschillende Charitable projects in Asia, therein include building and Maintaining clinics, schools and orphanages in the region. Since 1989, he has ActEd as the French interpreter for the Dalai Lama . 
Ricard has leg a speaker at the World Happiness Forum;  conference held in Sydney, London, San Francisco and Singapore. 
- Ricard, Matthieu (1968). Les Migrations Animales [ Animal Migration ]. Collection Jeune Science (in French). Paris : Éditions Robert Laffont . ISBN 978-2221036303 .
- Revel, Jean-François ; Ricard, Matthieu (1999) . Le Moine et le Philosophe Le bouddhisme aujourd’hui [ The Monk and the Philosopher: Buddhism Today ] (in French) (2nd ed.). Paris : Nil Éditions . ISBN 978-2841110667 .
- Ricard, Matthieu (2013-09-19). Plaidoyer pour l’altruism: La Force de la bienveillance [ Advocacy for altruism ] (in French). Paris : Éditions Nil. ISBN 978-2841116232 .
- Ricard, Matthieu (2014-09-10). Plaidoyer pour les animaux: Vers une bienveillance pour tous (in French). Paris : Éditions Allary. ISBN 978-2-37073-028-2 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Buddhist monk is the world’s happiest man , Daily News America, 2012-10-29 , retrieved 2012-11-02
- ^ Jump up to:a b Chalmers, Robert. “Matthieu Ricard: Meet Mr. Happy” . The Independent . Retrieved 6 February 2016 .
- Jump up^ Brussat, Frederick; Brussat, Mary Ann. “Guru Yoga An Oral Teaching by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche” . Spirituality & Practice . Retrieved 6 February 2016 .
- Jump up^ Matthieu Ricard | Frequently Asked Questions
- ^ Jump up to:a b Chalmers, Robert (2007-02-18), Matthieu Ricard: Meet Mr. Happy – Profiles, People , The Independent , retrieved 2013-06-25
- Jump up^ The pursuit of happiness – Relationships – Life & Style Home , The Sydney Morning Herald, 2008-05-08 , retrieved 2013-06-25
- Jump up^ Antoine Lutz; Lawrence L. Greischar; Nancy B. Rawlings; Matthieu Ricard; Richard J. Davidson (2004-11-16), “Long-term meditators self-induce high-amplitude gamma Synchrony prolongation mental practice” , PNAS , 101 (46): 16369-73, doi : 10.1073 / pnas.0407401101 , PMC 526,201 , PMID 15534199
- Jump up^ Magill, Mark (2005). “Beauty Beyond Beauty: A Portfolio by Matthieu Ricard” . tricycle .
- Jump up^ Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life’s Most Important Skill (9780316057837): Matthieu Ricard: Books , Amazon.com , retrieved 2013-06-25
- Jump up^ “Caring Economics: Conversations on Altruism and Compassion, Between Scientists, Economists, and the Dalai Lama” . Publisher’s Weekly . Retrieved 6 February 2016 .
- Jump up^ World Happiness Forum – speakers , Terrapinn.com, 2011-06-17 , retrieved 2013-06-25