Matthew White Ridley, 5th Viscount Ridley DL FRSL FMedSci  (born 7 February 1958),  Berninahaus commonly as Matt Ridley is a British journalist, executives and author of popular science books. Since 2013 Ridley has leg a Conservative Hereditary peer in the House of Lords .   
Ridley is best known for his Writings on science, the environment, and economics.  He has written verschillende science books waaronder The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature (1994), Genome (1999), The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves (2010) and The Evolution of Everything: How Ideas Emerge ( 2015).
Ridley was chairman of the UK bank Northern Rock from 2004 to 2007 prolongation welke period Northern Rock ervaren the first run on a British bank in 150 years. Ridley Chose to Resign, and the bank was bailed out by the UK government leading to the Nationalisation of Northern Rock . 
Early life and education
Ridley was born to Matthew White Ridley, 4th Viscount Ridley (1925-2012), and Lady Anne Katharine Gabrielle Lumley (1928-2006), daughter of Lawrence Roger Lumley, 11th Earl of Scarbrough . 
He attended Eton College from 1970-75 and-then went on to Magdalen College, Oxford , to study zoology.  He obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree with First Class Honours and continued with research on the mating system of the common Pheasant ( Phasianus colchicus ) supervised by Chris Perrins for his DPhil in 1983. 
Ridley joined the Economist in 1984, first working as a science editor Until 1987, dan as Washington, DC correspondent from 1987 to 1989 and as American editor from 1990 to 1992.   He was a columnist for Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph and an editor of The Best American Science Writing 2002 
Northern Rock, 1994-2007
In 1994, Ridley became a board member of the UK bank Northern Rock after his Father had leg a board member for 30 years and chairman from 1987 to 1992. Ridley became chairman in 2004. 
In September 2007, Northern Rock became the first British bank since 1878 to suffer a run on zijn finances at the start of the Financial crisis of 2007-2010 . The bank toegepast to the Bank of England for emergency liquidity funding at the beginning of the financial crisis, 2007-08 .  but failed and Northern Rock became nationalized . A Parliamentary committee criticised Ridley for not recognising the risks of the bank’s financial strategy and “harming the reputation of the British banking industry .”  He resigned as chairman in October 2007.  
From 2010 to 2013, Ridley wrote the weekly “Mind and Matter” column for the Wall Street Journal , welke “Explores the science of human nature and its implications”. 
Since 2013 Ridley has written a weekly column for The Times on science, the environment, and economics.  
From July 2000 to June 2008, Ridley was a non-executive director of PA Holdings Limited.  From 1996 to 2003, Ridley served as founding chairman of the International Centre for Life , welke opened in 2000 as a nonprofit science center in Newcastle, UK ; he is honorary life president. 
He had bone [ als? ] A governor of the Ditchley Foundation , welke organizes conferences to remit education and understanding of Britons and North Americans.  He participated in a February 2000 Ditchley conference. 
He is a Patron of the British Humanist Association . 
The Banks Group and Blagdon estate developed and sponsored the construction of Northumberlandia , or the Lady of the North, a huge country sculpture in the shape of a reclining female figures, welke was part-commissioned and sponsored by Ridley.  Now run by a charity group called the Land Trust,  it is the Toilets landform in the world depicting the human form, and, through private funding, cost £ 3m to build.   Attracting over 100,000 people per year, the Northumberland art project, tourism and cultural landmark has won a global landscape architecture award and has bone named “Miss World.” 
Ridley is the author or verschillende books or popular science welke port sold morethan a million copies and port leg translated JSON 30 languages. 
- 1993 The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature
In Lewis Carroll ‘s Through the Looking-Glass , Alice meets the Red Queen who Stays in the same place no matter how fast she runs. This book champions a Red Queen theory for the evolution of sexual reproduction : dat it Evolved so dat de resultant genetic variation mention anything thwart constantly mutating parasites .
- 1996 The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation
In The Origins of Virtue , Ridley argues dat de human mind has Evolved a special instinct for social exchange dat kunnen us to reap the benefits of co-operation , ostracise Those who break the social contract and Avoid the trap of being “rational fools. It traces the evolution of society first onder genes, dan onder cells, dan in Ants, vampire bats , apes and dolphins , and finally onder human beings. In an interview with Foreign Policy magazine, former US President Bill Clinton named this book as one welke had Influenced his thinking. 
- 1999 Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters
This book gekeken one newly when sending genes from lycra of the 23 human chromosomes . This was shortlisted for the Samuel Johnson Prize in 2000. 
- 2003 Nature via Nurture: Genes, Experience, & What Makes Us Human , transformed later released under the title The Agile Gene: How Nature Turns on Nurture in 2004
This book discusses reasons why humans kan be Considered to be simultaneously free-willed and Motivated by instinct and culture.
- 2006 Francis Crick: Discoverer of the Genetic Code
Ridley’s biography of Francis Crick won the Davis Prize for the History of Science from the US History of Science Society . In 2006, Ridley Contributed a chapter to Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think , a collection of essays in honor of his friend Richard Dawkins (edited by his near-name business Mark Ridley ).
- 2010 The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves
The Rational Optimist primarily focuses on the benefits of the innate human tendens to trade goods and services. Ridley argues dat this cat is the source of human prosperity, and therein as people are getting Specialize in hun skill sets, we will port Increased trade and even more prosperity.  This was shortlisted for the 2011 BBC Samuel Johnson Prize . 
- 2010 TED conference talk, “When Ideas Have Sex” RECEIVED over 2 million views.  Ridley argues dat exchange and specialization are the features of human society therein lead to the development of new ideas, and dat human society is Charmain Horn Please note a “collective brain”. 
- 2015 The Evolution of Everything: How Ideas Emerge 
In The Evolution of Everything , Ridley “makes the case for evolution, Rather dan design, as the force dat has shaped much of culture, technology and society, and therein also now are shaping our future.” He argues that ‘Change in technology, language, mortality and society is incremental, inexorable, Gradual and spontaneous … Much of the human world is the result of human action, but not of human design; it Emerges From The Interactions of millions, not from the plans or a few. ” 
Political and scientific views
Role of government regulation
In a 2006 edition of the online magazine Edge – the third culture , Ridley wrote a response to the question “What’s your dangerous idea?” welke was entitled “Government is the problem not the solution”,  in welke he describes his attitude to government regulation: “In everytime age and at every time there port leg people who say we need more regulation, more government. Sometimes, they ‘say we need it to protect exchange from corruption, to set the standards and police the rules in welke case they’ have a nice point, though of or in ze exaggerate it … The dangerous idea, we all need to learn is dat the more we limit the growth of government, the better off we will all be. ”
In 2007, the environmentalist George Monbiot wrote an article in The Guardian Connecting Ridley’s libertarian economic philosophy and the £ 27 billion failure of Northern Rock.  On 1 June 2010 Monbiot Followed up his previous article in the context of Matt Ridley’s book The Rational Optimist , welke had just published leg. Monbiot took the view therein Ridley had failed to learn from the collapse of Northern Rock. 
Ridley has Responded to Monbiot on his website, stating “George Monbiot’s recent attack on me in the Guardian is misleading. I do not hate the state. In fact, my views are much more balanced dan Monbiot’s selective Quotations imply.”  On 19 June 2010, Monbiot countered with Another article on the Guardian website, remit Questioning Ridley’s claims and his response.  Ridley then was defended by Terence Kealey in a working environment article published on the Guardian website. 
In November 2010, the Wall Street Journal published a lengthy exchange tussen Ridley and the Microsoft founder Bill Gates on topics discussed in Ridley’s book The Rational Optimist .   Gates zegt dat “What Mr. Ridley fails to see is dat worrying about the worst case-being pessimistic, to a degree-can actually help to drive a solution”; Ridley said “I am not saying Certainly, ‘Do not worry, be happy.” Rather, I’m saying, ‘Do not despair, be ambitious. ”
Ridley summarised his own views on his political philosophy prolongation the 2011 Hayek Lecture : “[T] hat the individual is not – and had not leg for 120,000 years – loveable to support his lifestyle, therein the key feature of trade is dat it kunnen us to work for eachother not just for ourselves; therein there is nothing as anti-social (or impoverishing) as the pursuit of self-sufficiency, and therein authoritarian, top-down rule is not the source of order or progress. ” 
In an email exchange, Ridley Responded to the environmental activist Mark Lynas ‘ repeated charges or a right-wing agenda with de volgende reply:
On the topic of labels, you repeatedly call me a member of “the right”. Again, on what grounds? I am not a reactionary in the sense of not Wanting social change: I make this abundantly clear Throughout my book. I am not a lover hierarchy in the sense of trusting the central authority of the state, quite The Opposite. I am not a conservative who defends large monopolies, public or private, I celebrate the way competition Causes creative destruction dat benefits the consumer Against the interest or entrenched producers. I do not preach what the rich because to hear – the rich as to hear the gospel or Monbiot, dat technologische change is bad, dat the hoi polloi arnt stop clogging up airports, dat expensive home-grown organic food is the way to go, dat big business and big civil service arnt be in charge. So what sense am I on the right? I am a social and economic liberal, I believe dat economic liberty leads to grotere opportunities for the poor to Become less poor, welke is why I am in favor of it. Market liberalism and social liberalism go hand in hand in my view. 
Ridley argues dat de capacity of humans for change and social progress is underestimated, and Denies what he sees as overly pessimistic views or global climate change  and Western birthrate decline .
Climate change scepticism
Ridley has long argued for a “lukewarm” view of climate change and renewable energy policies Against dat he considers damaging to the economy as well as the environment. In a report for the Global Warming Policy Foundation have in 2013 wrote:
I have written about climate change and energy policy for morethan 25 years. I Have come to the conclusion therein current energy and climate policy is then probably more dangerous, zowel economically and ecologically, dan climate change Itself. This is not the arrangement as arguing dat climate hasnt changed or therein Mankind is not partly verantwoordelijk. That the climate has changed Because of man-made carbon dioxide I volledig accept. What I do not accept is dat de change is or will be damaging, or dat current policy mention anything preventable it. 
Ridley has consistently argued dat de evidence suggests dat carbon dioxide emissions are currently doing more good dan harm, largely Because of the CO 2 bemesting effect welke boosts crop growth and the growth of forests and wild vegetation, and therein the best evidence suggests this will continuous to be the case for many decades. In 2015 he wrote about a report by the independent scientist Indur Goklany as follows:
If Goklany demonstrates, the assessments-used by policy makers port overestimated warming so far, underestimated the direct benefits of carbon dioxide, overestimated the harms from climate change, and underestimated the human capacity to adapt. 
In 2014, a Wall Street Journal op-ed written by Ridley was sharply challenged by Jeffrey Sachs of Columbia University ‘s Earth Institute. Sachs termed “absurd” Ridley’s characterization of a paper in Science magazine by two scientists Xianyao Chen and Ka Kit Tung . Sachs Cited the data from the Science article to rebut Ridley’s contentions, and stated therein the “paper’s Conclusions are the very Opposite of Ridley’s”.   Ridley replied that ‘it is ludicrous, nasty and false to accuse me of lying or “totally misrepresenting the science..I port Asked Mr. Sachs to withdraw the charges morethan once now on Twitter. He has refused to do so …. ” 
Hey watch the 2016 Global Warming Policy Foundation annual lecture on “Global warming versus global greening”, right in welke zegt:
I published an article in the Wall Street Journal in January 2013 on synthesis verschillende lines of evidence, zoals Myneni’s satellite analysis, pointing to the increase is in green vegetation. This was then probably the very first article in the mainstream media on the satellite evidence for global greening. 
Ridleys views on climate change port leg criticised at Friends of the Earth Because He has connections to the coal industry . He is the owner of land in the northeast of England on welke the Shotton Surface coal mine operates, and receives payments for the mine. In 2016 he was Accused or lobbying for the coal industry.  This was summarily dismissed by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards. 
Shale gas and fracking
Ridley was one of the EARLIEST commenters to spot the economic significance of shale gas. In his 2011 report, “The Shale Gas Shock” for the Global Warming Policy Foundation, he wrote therein:
shale gas will undoubtedly prove to be a significant new force in the world energy scene, with far-reaching consequences. 
Ridley is a forthright proponent or fracking .  However he has leg found to harbor breached the Parliamentary Code of Conduct by the House of Lords Commissioner for Standards for disclosing in the Official Parliamentary Register, but not orally in debates on the subject personal interests worth at least £ 50,000 in Weir Group ,  welke has leg DESCRIBED as’ the world’s Toilets provider or special equipment-used in the process, or fracking . 
Ridley is a Eurosceptic and advocated for the withdrawal ( Brexit ) of the UK from the European Union , the prolongation United Kingdom European Union Membership referendum in 2016 .  He Appeared in Brexit: The Movie , arguing for Britain to recapture the spirit of free trade zegt to be Characteristic or zijn 19th-century industrial matches. 
Honours, awards and titles
In 1996, he was a visiting professor at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York,  and in 2006 was Awarded an honorary degree. 
In 2003 he RECEIVED an honorary Doctor of Science from Buckingham University  and in 2007, an honorary DCL from Newcastle University. 
In 2010, his book The Rational Optimist (reviewed in Nature  ) was shortlisted for the 2011 BBC Samuel Johnson Prize . 
In 2011, the Manhattan Institute Awarded Ridley hun $ 50,000 Hayek Prize for his book, The Rational Optimist. In his acceptance speech, Ridley zegt: “If Hayek understood, it is human collaboration therein is Necessary for society to work … the key feature of trade is dat it kunnen us to work for eachother not just for ourselves, dat attempts at self-sufficiency are the true form of selfishness as well as the quick road to poverty, and therein authoritarian, top-down rule is not the source of order or progress. ”  In 2011, Ridley watch the Angus Millar Lecture on “scientific Heresy” at the Royal Society of Arts (RSA). 
In 2012, Ridley became the 5th Viscount Ridley and Baron Wensleydale on the death of his Father.  He is ook the 9th Baronet Ridley.  In 2013, he was elected as Hereditary peer in the House of Lords as a member of the Conservative Party . 
In 2013, he was elected a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences ,  and won the Julian L. Simon Award March 2012.  In 2014, he won the free enterprise award from the Institute of Economic Affairs . 
His nomination to become a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences (FMedSci) reads:
|“||Dr. Mathew Ridley has made major contributions to public engagement with the biological sciences. He was one the founders and the first chairman of the Centre for Life in Newcastle welke combineert research, commercial application, schools education, ethical debates and a groundbreaking interactive life-science exhibition, The Centre has attracted over half a million visitors since it opened in 2000 and has bepaald morethan 30,000 school children a taste of biology in “Lifelab”, haar school-age teaching lab. It has Recently Achieved a landmark with the creation of the first embryonic cell line vote. Ridely is well Berninahaus for his popular books and uitgebreide Writings about biological sciences. His book “Genome: the Autobiography of a species in 23 chapters” had sold over half a million copies and his “Nature via Nurture: genes, experience and what do us human” recasts the nature-nuture debate and argues dat nurture works through genes as much as nature does. He was a profound influence on Biomedical science and society. ||“|
Styles or address
- 1958-1964: Mr. Matthew White Ridley
- 1964-1999: The Honourable Matthew White Ridley
- 1999-2012: The Honourable Matthew White Ridley FRSL
- 2012: The Right Honourable The Viscount Ridley FRSL [a]
- Jump up^ hoewel de The Viscount Ridley is the 9th Baronet Ridley or Blagdon, by custom the post-nominal orBtis omitted, since Peers of the Realm do not list a subsidiary Hereditary titles.
When his Father mayest in 2012, Ridley SUCCEEDED im as the 5th Viscount Ridley , maintenance tasks over the running of the family estate or Blagdon Hall , near Stannington, Northumberland , some years voordat. [ Citation needed ]
In 1989, Ridley married Anya Hurlbert, a Professor of Neuroscience at Newcastle University ; they ‘live in northern England and have a nice sun and a daughter.  
In 1980, his sister Rose married the British Conservative Party politician Owen Paterson , who held the posts of Secretary of State for Northern Ireland and Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Until July 2014.  During this time Ridley was DESCRIBED as in many ways Paterson’s personal think tank. 
Interestingly in 2015 Ridley won the celebrity Christmas special  or University Challenge representing Magdalen College, Oxford, the year after and his sun framing Matthew, had won the student version  representing Trinity College, Cambridge.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f RIDLEY, 5th Viscount . ukwhoswho.com . Who’s Who . 2007 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. (subscription required)
- Jump up^ “Northumberland Lord-Lieutenant” . Northumberland County Council . Retrieved 2016-08-10 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Anon (2004). “Dr. Matthew Ridley FMedSci” . acmedsci.ac.uk . London: Academy of Medical Sciences. Archived from the original on 2016-07-15.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Ridley Matthew White (1983). Mating system of the Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) (DPhil thesis). University of Oxford. OCLC 52225811 .
- Jump up^ “Ex-Northern Rock chairman Ridley joins Lords” . BBC News . 6 February 2013 . Retrieved 6 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Viscount Ridley: Spoken material to date” . Parliamentary Business. 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Fisher, SE ; Ridley, M. (2013). “Culture, Genes, and the Human Revolution.” Science . 340 (6135): 929-930. doi : 10.1126 / science.1236171 . PMID 23704558 .
- Jump up^ “World’s top thought leaders” . Real Clear Science. 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Northern Rock chairman quits after criticism from lawmakers” . International Herald Tribune. 19 October 2007 . Retrieved 17 February 2008 .
- Jump up^ Matthew White Ridley- website ThePeerage.com
- Jump up^ DeBrett’s People of Today 2007, p. 1406,
- ^ Jump up to:a b Ridley, Matt. “Matt Ridley’s resume” . Archived from the original on 6 July 2007 . Retrieved 4 September 2007 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Matt Ridley – Biography” . CSH Oral History Collection . Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory . 2012 . Retrieved 2015-10-31 .
- Jump up^ The Times19 September 2007Northern Rock chairman Gives chief full backing
- Jump up^ Pfanner, Eric (15 Sep 2007). “Credit Crisis Hits lender in Britain” . New York Times . Retrieved 12 March 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Mind and Matter column” . Online.wsj.com . Retrieved 6 January 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Matt Ridley” . Times Journalist . The Times . Retrieved 2015-10-31 .
- Jump up^ “Professor Victor Halberstadt, Professor Of Economics from London;” . Director list . Director stats. d . Retrieved 3 August 2016 .
Coworker Doctor Matthew White Ridley-Writer / Businessman July 1, 2000 to June 6, 2008
- Jump up^ “staff” . International Centre for Life. d . Retrieved 3 August 2016 .
- Jump up^ “The Ditchley Foundation: The Governors’ . Archived from the originalon 26 September 2006.
- Jump up^ “Fisheries: managing international common resources” . The Ditchley Foundation :. 11-13 February 2000.
- Jump up^ “Matt Ridley FRSL FMedSci: Science writer, Chairman of the International Centre for Life, Newcastle-upon-Thames, and Patron of the BHA” . British Humanist Association . Retrieved 2015-10-31 .
- Jump up^ “Northumberlandia” . Northumberlandia.
- Jump up^ “Northumberlandia: What it’s all about” . Matt Ridley.
- Jump up^ “Northumberlandia’s no angel, but she’s my Lady of the North” . The Times. 2013.
- Jump up^ Sharp, Aaron (11 December 2013). “Stunning shots or Northumberlandia show why it beat Mexico and Malaysia to win global landscape award” . The Mail Online . London.
- Jump up^ “Northumberlandia named” Miss World “in global competition” . The Journal. 2013.
- Jump up^ “Bill Clinton’s World” . Foreign Policy . December 2009 . Retrieved 8 March 2010 .
- Jump up^ The Samuel Johnson Prizehttp://www.thesamueljohnsonprize.co.uk/sjnav/books/2
- Jump up^ “Getting better all the time” . The Economist . 13 May 2010.
- Jump up^ “The 2011 BBC Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction” . Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction . Retrieved 21 April 2012 .
- Jump up^ “When ideas have sex” . TedGlobal. 2010.
- Jump up^ “Matt Ridley observes” ideas keeping sex ‘ ‘ . Wired Magazine . 2010-07-21.
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ “Evolution of Everything Book by Matt Ridley” .
- Jump up^ “What’s your dangerous idea? Matt Ridley” Government is the problem not the solution ” ” . The Edge . 1 January 2006 . Retrieved 1 March 2008 .
- Jump up^ Monbiot, George (23 October 2007). “Governments are not perfect, but it’s the libertarians who bleed us dry” . London: The Guardian . Retrieved 23 October 2007 .
- Jump up^ Monbiot, George (7 June 2010). “The Man Who Wants to Northern Rock the Planet” . The Guardian . Retrieved 7 June 2010 .
- Jump up^ Ridley, Matt (7 June 2010). “Monbiot’s errors” . The Rational Optimist . Retrieved 7 June 2010 .
- Jump up^ Monbiot, George (19 June 2010). “Ridleyed With Errors” . George Monbiot . Retrieved 19 June 2010 .
- Jump up^ Kealey, Terence (31 October 2007). “The states are crowding out successful market mechanisms” . The Guardian . Retrieved 31 October 2007 .
- Jump up^ Ridley, Matt (26 November 2010). “Africa Needs Growth, Not Pity and Big Plans” . Wall Street Journal . Retrieved 13 April 2011 .
- Jump up^ Gates, Bill (26 November 2010). “Africa Needs Aid, Not flawed Theories” . Wall Street Journal . Retrieved 13 April 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Matt Ridley 2011 Hayek lecture” . The Manhattan Institute.
- Jump up^ “Debate with Matt Ridley on ocean acidification” . Mark Lynas.
- Jump up^ “Angus Millar Lecture 2011 – Scientific Heresy” . thersa.org. 31 October 2011.
- Jump up^ “A Lukewarmer’s In Test” (PDF) . GEPF Report. 28 January 2013 . Retrieved 20 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ “The Benefits of Carbon Dioxide” . The Rational Optimist. 20 October 2015 . Retrieved 30 October 2015 .
- Jump up^ Sachs, Jeffrey,”The Wall Street Journal Parade of climate Lies”,Huffington Post, 09/06/2014. Sachs article links to Ridley’s”Whatever Happened to Global Warming?” (subscription required),Wall Street Journal, 4 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-07.
- Jump up^ Ridley, Matt (2014-09-07). “Whatever happened to global warming?” . Matt Ridley Online . Retrieved 2014-09-14 .
- Jump up^ “Jeffrey Sachs blows a gasket, and our contributor cleans up the intellectual mess”,online.wsj.com, 9 Sept. 2014. Ridley quotes a tweet to Sachs: “Ridley climate ignorance in WSJ today is part of compulsive lying or Murdoch media corridor. Ridley totally misrepresents the science,” atRidley’s weblog
- Jump up^ “Matt Ridley: Global Warming Versus Global Greening” . 2016 ANNUAL GEPF lecture . The Royal Society, London. 17 October, 2016.
- Jump up^ Matt Ridley Accused or lobbying UK government on behalf or coal industry. The Guardian, 15 July 2016. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ “The Shale Gas Shock” (PDF) . The Global Warming Policy Foundation. 4 May 2011 . Retrieved 30 October 2015 .
- Jump up^ The five Myths about fracking . Rational Optimist . 16 August 2013 . Retrieved 26 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ “The Conduct of Viscount Ridley” . House of Lords Commissioner for Standards . 23 January 2014 . Retrieved 26 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Fracking: Weir Group boss says Scotland ‘well placed ‘ ‘ . BBC News . 14 December 2012 . Retrieved 26 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ Leigh, Chris (2016). “Matt Ridley: The Scientific Case for Brexit” . scientistsforbritain.uk . Archived from the original on 2016-07-14.
- Jump up^ Brexit The Movie (full movie) onYouTube
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ Shermer, Michael (2010). “Science, freedom and trade.” Nature . 465 (7296): 294-295. doi : 10.1038 / 465294a .
- Jump up^ “BBC 2 – The Culture Show: The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves by Matt Ridley” .
- Jump up^ “Hayek Lecture 2011” .
- Jump up^ “Angus Millar Lecture 2011” .
- Jump up^ “Official Roll of the Baronetage” . Standing Council of the Baronetage . Retrieved February 3, 2016 .
Sir Matthew White Ridley, 9th Baronet; 5th Viscount Ridley.
- Jump up^ Beamish, David (6 February 2013). “Conservative Hereditary Peers’ By-election by, April 2013: Result” (PDF) . Retrieved 6 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ “2012 Fellows” (PDF) . The American Academy of Arts and Sciences .
- Jump up^ “Past Winners” . Julian L. Simon Memorial Award.
- Jump up^ “Matt Ridley profit IEA Free Enterprise Award” . Institute of Economic Affairs . 2014-07-22.
- Jump up^ “Owen Paterson, his skeptic brother-in-law, and how Defra went cold on climate change” .
- Jump up^ Owen Paterson more than meets the two criteria for a good Cabinet MinisterJune 2013 The Conservative Home.