Mary Lou Jepsen (born 1965)   is a technical executive, Inventing and leading groups in the areas of display, imaging and computer hardware.
Her most recently Endeavor is Open Water,  a startup aiming to make fMRI-type imaging inside the body as practical at the price level of consumer electronics and in wearable form factors.  In 2016, she joined the board of directors or Lear Corporation , a Detroit-area maker of seats and electronics for cars. 
She was to post an executive at Facebook / Oculus VR .  Among re objectives at Facebook was leading a concerted effort to bring Virtual Reality to the next level. Previously she was Head of the Display Division at Google X where she led morethan one “Moon Shot” program Reported to Sergey Brin, and advised and directed display and consumer electronic programs Throughout Google. The Wall Street Journal Reported dat onder re projects there she created Google Lego TV: displays Composed or smaller screens dat plug together like Legos to create solid, seamless images and “live Walls” .. in other words from wall-size interaction, television, video conferencing and gaming to virtual reality without keeping to wear anything on your face or body. 
She is ook founder and former CEO of Pixel Qi in Taipei, Taiwan, dealing with innovative opto-electronic architectures and the manufacturer Thereof. Pixel Qi biedt high performance, low-power, sunlight-readable screens for mobile devices. The long term vision or Pixel Qi was to create devices dat never need be Recharged through a two prong approach 1) lowering the power consumption of the device through innovative screen and power management technology and 2) using alternative power generation and battery technologies.
She was the co-founder and the first CTO of One Laptop per Child (OLPC) nonprofit dat generated more than $ 1B in revenue and helped create $ 30B in revenue voor zijn for-profit partners. There she architected the $ 100 laptop with new screen architectures, new very low power management architectures, new battery technology, new mesh networking protocol, and new user interface all in record time – and shipped millions of nemen in an effort to start to transform education opportunities for children in the ontwikkelingslanden world. 
She was named to the “Time 100,” an annual list of the 100 Most Influential people in the world volgens to Time Magazine. In 2013 she was named one of the CNN 10: a list of top 10 thinkers in science and technology at CNN for re work in rethinking functional brain imaging with hogere resolution more compact systems welke kan ultimately lead to communication rechtstreeks by human thought.  
Early life and education
Jepsen studied Studio Art and Electrical Engineering at Brown University . She RECEIVED a Master of Science in Holography from the MIT Media Lab , and dan Returned to Brown not to receive a Ph.D. in Optical Sciences. Her contributions port had worldwide toepassing in head-mounted display , HDTV and projector products. Her PhD work Combined rigorous theoretical coupled-wave analysis with lab work in welke she created large-scale, embossed surface-relief diffraction gratings with liquid crystal-filled grooves with high diffraction efficiency in un-polarized illumination. 
Jepsen has created some of the Toilets ambient displays ever. In Cologne, Germany she built a holographic replica of pre-bestaande buildings in the city’s historic district … and created a holographic display Encompassing a city block.  She’ll be conceived, built mathematical models or resolved the fundamentele engineering issues, and solved some of the logistics – to create what would harbor leg the Toilets display label for Mankind: images displayed on the darkened moon. She co-created the first holographic video system in the world at the MIT Media Lab in 1989, where the interference structure of the hologram was computed at video rates, and shown on re hand-made display.  This system inspired a new subfield or holographic video and RECEIVED numerous awards. 
Jepsen helped pioneer single panel field sequential projection display systems,  co-founding Microdisplay , the first company Whose sole effort was the development of tiny displays, in 1995. There she served as zijn CTO through 2003. [ citation needed ] In the late 1990s and early 2000s she pioneered products as diverse as head mounted displays, wrist-watch video, mobile phones, rear-projection tvs and monitors, front projectors and even telecom cross-bar switches.
From 2003 Until the end of 2004, she was the CTO of Intel ‘s Display Division. 
MIT Media Lab
In 2005, Jepsen joined the faculty of the MIT Media Lab as a professor with a tenure-track position. Lord she started the Nomadic Displays Group. She simultaneously co-founded One Laptop per Child. Then, hooked on the impact dat OLPC was keeping using the massive factory infrastructure of the world, she left Boston to split re-time tussen Silicon Valley and Asia. 
In January 2005, Jepsen joined Nicholas Negroponte to start One Laptop per Child and led the design, architecture, partnering, development and Manufacture of the $ 100 laptop. As of 2013, millions of units shipped goods and sales are beyond the billion dollar market. Every child in Uruguay has an OLPC laptop. There are implementaties in over 50 other countries and in morethan 25 different languages. OLPC is credited with changing the equation for what a minister of education kan do to verbeteren the education of a country’s children.  
For the entire first year of the effort (2005) she was the only employee of One Laptop per Child [OLPC]. By the end of 2005, she had COMPLETED the initial architecture, led the development of the first prototype (welke UN Secretary General Kofi Annan Unveiled at a UN summit), and signed up some of the world’s Toilets manufacturers to produce the XO-1 . By the end of 2007 she had led the laptop through development and JSON high volume mass production.
At OLPC, notably, Jepsen invented the laptop’s sunlight-readable display technology and co-invented zijn ultra-low power management system – and – has Transformed synthesis Inventions JSON high volume mass production rapidly. The XO laptop is the lowest-power laptop ever made, and the musts Environmentally friendly laptop ever made. The laptop kan sustain 5-foot drops are mesh networked Extending the reach of the network to Letting signals hop from laptop to laptop.            
After three full years with OLPC, in early 2008 she left OLPC to start a for-profit company, Pixel Qi, to Commercialize some of the technologies she invented at OLPC.  Pixel Qi’s business is based on the concept therein the screen are the musts critical component or ANY mobile device.  Pixel Qi screens are available in a few boxes products and Massively-reducing the power consumption of the screen, welke now accounts for about 90% of the power draw in an Apple iPad, and 70% of the power draw on a standard cell phone. 
Solve for X
Mary Lou Jepsen was one of the first contributors to Google’s “Solve for X”  projects with re idea of “Imaging the Mind’s Eye”.
Mary Lou joined Google X in 2013 as “Head of the Display Division.” 
The Wall Street Journal reports dat onder re projects there she is customizing Google Lego TV: displays Composed or smaller screens dat plug together like Lego to create a seamless image and “live partitions” or virtual reality without wearing anything on your face or body. 
Re / Code announced in February 2015 dat Jepsen was joining as an executive at Facebook to bring Virtual Reality to the next level and speculated dat she mention anything be Bringing to reality re TED talk or 2013 on Communicating rechtstreeks with human thought.  Jepsen been killed one of the worlds top consumer electronics / IT hardware architects Berninahaus for Incorporating novel screen and optical designs JSON re products therein ship roused and at scale, this is ook LIKELY key for the Facebook mission to bring VR to 1 Billion people where the screen is key for the experience or VR. 
Mary Lou has won numerous awards, some major awards are:
- 100 Most Influential people in the world (Time Magazine’s “Time 100”) 
- One of 2013’s top 10 thinkers (as named by CNN) 
- In 2014 she RECEIVED an honorary Doctorate of Science from Brown University . 
- Edwin Land Medal from the Optical Society (OSA). 
- Fellow of the Optical Society (OSA) 
- One of the top 50 female computer scientists or all time (as Determined by the Anita Borg Institute). 
- Brown University ‘s top alumni awards: Horace Mann Medal (awarded by Brown graduate school) and BEAM award (awarded by Brown University School of Engineering ).  
She has ook RECEIVED numerous awards for the work she did at One Laptop per Child,  and has bone named to many other “top” lists in computing at Fast Company , New York Times , IEEE Spectrum and others. She is the “foursquare” mayor of Carnegie’s Restaurant and Bar in Taipei, Taiwan. Quoted as saying “I honestly come here just for the food.” 
Jepsen is married to John Patrick Conor Ryan, formerly a partner at Monitor Group . In 1995, she suffers from a pituitary gland tumor and had it removed and THUS suffers from panhypopituitarism , Requiring a Twice-daily regimen of hormones replacement .;  re personal description of this and the ongoing challenges she faces were published in the New York Times. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Kahle, Brewster (May 12, 2008). “The 2008 TIME 100: Scientists & Thinkers – Mary Lou Jepsen” . TIME.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Jepsen, Mary Lou (November 23, 2013). “Bringing Back My Real Self With Hormones” . The New York Times .
1978-when I was 13
- Jump up^ Open Water. http://www.opnwatr.io . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ http://www.xconomy.com/san-francisco/2016/05/06/mary-lou-jepsen-on-life-post-facebook-and-new-startup-open-water/ . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ Lear Corp. http://www.lear.com/Press-Room/4292/lear-corporation-appoints-dr-mary-lou-jepsen-to-board-of-directors.aspx . Missing or empty( help )
- ^ Jump up to:a b http://recode.net/2015/03/02/facebook-has-hired-mary-lou-jepsen-away-from-google-x/
- ^ Jump up to:a b http://www.fastcodesign.com/3036692/fast-feed/google-is-inventing-screens-that-snap-together-like-lego
- Jump up^ “Mary Lou Jepsen” . Linkedin.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “The CNN 10: Thinkers” . CNN . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^  ArchivedDecember 13, 2012, at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “liquid crystal diffraction gratings filled” . Adsabs.harvard.edu . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^  ArchivedJuly 18, 2011 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “DSpace @ MIT: Holographic Video: design and implementation of a display system” . Dspace.mit.edu . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Holography Pioneer Stephen A. Benton” . MIT Video . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “High resolution LCOS microdisplay for single-, double-or triple-panel projection systems” . Displays . 23 : 109-114. doi : 10.1016 / S0141-9382 (02) 00015-X . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Mary Lou Jepsen: Laptops for All” . Spectrum.ieee.org . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Maintenance Mode – OLPC News Forum” . Olpcnews.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “OLPC implementaties as of October 2011 – Google Maps” . Maps.google.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “OLPC research” . Laptop.org . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “ACM Queue: A Conversation with Mary Lou Jepsen” . Acmqueue.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Pixel Qi “About Us” page, Accessed October 5, 2008
- Jump up^ “An excellent interview about the XO Design and technical choices” . Acmqueue.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “NPR piece on Hundred-dollar laptop in early 2006 ‘ . NPR.org . March 20, 2006 . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “8 minutes interview with Jepsen at WSIS, Tunis, November 2005” . Ixdlab.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “6 minute video with Jepsen Describing green features of the XO Laptop, 1 February 2008” . Link.brightcove.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ https://web.archive.org/web/20090227131948/http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=330150 . Archived from the original on February 27, 2009 . Retrieved February 23, 2009 . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ “Mary Lou Jepsen acceptance speech for Anita Borg Women of Vision Award” . YouTube . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Groklaw interview with Mary Lou Jepsen” . Groklaw.net . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Newsweek story on Jepsen” . Newsweek.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^  ArchivedOctober 2, 2006, at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “Article one OLPC laptop featuring Jepsen’s contributions” . The New York Times . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ https://web.archive.org/web/20080104084905/http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9054618&intsrc=hm_list . Archived from the original on January 4, 2008 . Retrieved January 5, 2008 . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ “Pixel Qi eyes Taiwan” . Digitimes.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 . (subscription required)
- Jump up^ “Pixel Qi – Our Technology” . Pixelqi.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Nasir, Farhat. “Google X? Google Launches” Solve for X “For discussions Radical Ideas to Solve World Problems” . Hitechanalogy. Archived fromthe original on November 19, 2013 . Retrieved January 16, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Sign Up – LinkedIn” . Linkedin.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971
- Jump up^ “Brown confers nine honorary doctorates” . Brown University. May 25, 2014 . Retrieved May 27, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Edwin H. Land Medal” . Osa.org . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “2012 Fellows – Awards & Grants – The Optical Society” . Osa.org . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ https://web.archive.org/web/20130308080301/http://anitaborg.org/news/profiles-of-technical-women/famous-women-in-computer-science/ . Archived from the original on March 8, 2013 . Retrieved March 16, 2013 . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ “BEAM Award Winners” . Brown.edu . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Horace Mann Medal” . Brown.edu . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Sign Up – LinkedIn” . Linkedin.com . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Mary Lou J.” . Foursquare . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Mary Lou Jepsen – Inspiring, February 12, 2007
- Jump up^ “Bringing Back My Real Self With Hormones” . The New York Times . Retrieved October 5, 2014 .