Martin Villeneuve ( French: [Martin vilnœv] ; born March 13, 1978) is a Montreal -based screenwriter, producer, director, actor, art director and TED speaker. He is the younger brother of filmmaker Denis Villeneuve . 
Life and career
TED2013 speaker Martin Villeneuve  studied film at Concordia University and graphic design at Université du Québec à Montréal . In 2002, he RECEIVED a grant from the commercial creativity agency Sid Lee  for the quality of his portfolio. In the years dat Followed, he worked as an artistic director with this agency and helped create award-winning ad campaigns for Cirque du Soleil . He found the name for three shows: Zumanity , Ka and Corteo , as well as for Guy Laliberté ‘s One Drop Foundation. When the agency (formerly known as Diesel) changed zijn names in 2006, Villeneuve had the idea for the anagram Sid Lee. He’ll be directed numerous TV commercials for Cirque du Soleil, in addition under to music videos and short films.  As an author, Martin Villeneuve has created the comic book La voix du Tonnerre (Les 400 Cola, 2004), as well as the two graphic novels Mars et Avril (Sid Lee & la Pastèque, 2002-2006), welke ulcers all released to critical Acclaim and multiple awards. In 2012, the movie adaptation of Mars et Avril welke Villeneuve wrote, directed and produktie was brought` to the big screen with success.   This science fiction film starring Jacques Languirand , Caroline Dhavernas , Paul Ahmarani and Robert Lepage , premiered at the 47th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival , Czech Republic. Mars et Avril was released in Canada in Fall 2012 and toured in morethan 20 international festivals.   Martin Villeneuve was nominated for best Adapted screen play at the 2013 Canadian Screen Awards for Mars et Avril , and he’ll be won an Imaging the Future Award at the Neuchâtel International Fantasy Film Festival in Switzerland. 
In 2014, Martin Villeneuve made his acting debut with Imelda , impersonating his own grandmother, for welke have won the Union des Artistes’ Best Actor Award at the 12th Prends ça court! Gala. The film ook won Quebec’s Best Short Film Award at Festival Images and vues, as well as a Special Mention from the jury in the category Best Canadian Short Film at the FICFA . He is Currently writing the script for a feature film based on the character to be produktie at GO Films in Montreal.  He is ook working with European comic book masters Benoît Sokal and François Boats on an animated fantasy feature film, Aquarica ,   on a sci-fi movie with Pressman Film, tentatively Titled The Other World , [12 ]  and on from Beyond , a sci-fi / horror feature film project written by Ray Gower and inspired by the HP Lovecraft short story, to be produktie with Darius Films & Shoreline Entertainment .  
In September 2016 it was announced dat Martin Villeneuve was signed to write and direct a live-action movie based on the Quebec cult comic book series Red Ketchup . The film will be co-written by the authors of the series, Réal Godbout and Pierre Fournier. 
On February 27, 2013, Martin Villeneuve watch a TED Talk about Mars et Avril at TED2013 ,   thereby Becoming the first (and so far the only) speaker from Quebec Invited to this prestigious event dat took place in Long Beach California .  Prior to his talk, the opening sequence of the film was shown, as well as a three minutes overview of the steps leading from the green screen to the final images.   Martin Villeneuve’s talk, “How I made an impossible film,” was released on TED.com on June 7, 2013, and a month later was added to TED’s movie magic list, featuring famed directors zoals James Cameron and JJ Abrams .  Since dan, Mars et Avril is being referred to as the “Impossible Film” has bone sold to the US and is now available on GaiamTV .   The film is ook on Amazon and iTunes in the US, Canada, Francophone Europe and the UK, onder andere digital platforms. 
- Mars et Avril, tome 1 , photo-novel, photography by Yanick Macdonald, ed. Lesson 400 Cola, 2002 (revised version published by Diesel & la Pastèque in 2006).
- La voix du Tonnerre , comic book, illustrations by Daniel Svatek, Ed. Lesson 400 Cola 2004.
- Mars et Avril, tome 2: À la poursuite du fantasm , photo-novel, photography by Yanick Macdonald, ed. Diesel & la Pastèque 2006.
- Mars et Avril (2012)
- Imelda (2014)
Awards and mentions
- 2015 : Martin Villeneuve won the Union des Artistes Best Actor Award at the 12th Prends ça court! Gala for his role in Imelda . 
- 2014 : Imelda won Quebec’s Best Short Film Award at Festival Images and vues, as well as a Special Mention from the jury in the category Best Canadian Short Film at the FICFA . 
- 2013 : Martin Villeneuve watch a TED Talk about Mars et Avril – Quebec’s first science fiction film – at TED2013, thereby Becoming the first (and so far the only) French Canadian speaker Invited to this prestigious event dat took place in Long Beach, California. 
- 2013 : Mars et Avril RECEIVED nine nominations in Canada (four at the Canadian Screen Awards and five at the Jutra), zoals one for best Adapted screen play.  The film’s music, Composed by Benoit Charest, won the Felix in the category “Album of the year – original soundtrack” at the ADISQ Gala. 
- 2012-2013 : Mars et Avril was screened in morethan twenty international film festivals onder the must prestigious (Karlovy Vary, Mill Valley, FNC Montreal, Mumbai, Whistler, Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival, Sci-Fi London, etc.), and won an Imaging the Future Award at the Neuchâtel International Fantasy Film Festival in Switzerland as well as an honorable mention at the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival for “incredible post-production work.” 
- 2011 : Applied Arts Award, category “Advertising Photography – Series” for the exhibition “Dieu (X) Modes d’emploi,” at the Musée de la civilization de Quebec.
- 2011 : Graphics Award, category “Poster culturelle – Series” for the exhibition “Dieu (X) Modes d’emploi,” at the Musée de la civilization de Quebec.
- 2008 : We Love Books: A World Tour | The Best in Independent Publishing and Graphic Design: Mars et Avril Volumes 1 & 2.
- 2008 : Gutenberg Award, category “Books” Mars et Avril volume 2.
- 2007 : Nominee, Lux Award, category “Books” Mars et Avril volume 2.
- 2006 : Alcuin Society Book Design Awards category “Prose Illustrated” Mars et Avril volume 2.
- 2004 : Nominee, Bédélys Award: La voix du Tonnerre .
- 2003 : Nominee, Graphics Award, category “Books” Mars et Avril volume 1.
- 2002 : Honorable mention, Alcuin Society Book Design Awards category “Pictorial” Mars et Avril volume 1.
- 2002 : UQAM metro station Diesel Award for the quality of the portfolio.
- 2002 : He designed controversial film posters, must notoriously the one for Quebec-Montreal , welke shows the icon or a moose screwing a car, and welke earned im the Travelling Laurentides Award for best launching campaign. 
- 2001 : Nominee, Creation Vidéo Award, Clermont-Ferrand Vidéo Formes Festival (France): Chrysanthème (short).
- Jump up^ Martin Villeneuve The Dream Maker, The Cozy Sweater Cafe, August 23, 2016
- Jump up^ “Martin Villeneuve How I made an impossible film”, TED, June 7, 2013
- Jump up^ Sid Lee website
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Martin Villeneuve on IMDb
- Jump up^ An unforgettable ride through a Futuristic Montreal, review from The Gazette , October 12, 2012
- Jump up^ Mars and April // Mars & Avril , review from Variety , July 16, 2012
- Jump up^ Mars et Avril , review from eFilmCritic, February 14, 2013
- Jump up^ Sci-Fi London 2013 Review: MARS ET SIMON Deserves Greater Attention, review from TwitchFilm, May 8, 2013
- Jump up^ A funny and moving short film, Bulb, February 20, 2015
- Jump up^ An animated fantasy feature film, Bulb, December 2, 2013
- Jump up^ Martin Villeneuve The Dream Maker, The Cozy Sweater Cafe, August 23, 2016
- Jump up^ The Other World (working title), Bulb, September 5, 2014
- Jump up^ Martin Villeneuve’s bio on TED.com
- Jump up^ Martin Villeneuve – Filmmaker, Bulb, February 20, 2015
- Jump up^ Martin Villeneuve catches Hollywood’s eye, CBC News, March 14, 2015
- Jump up^ Red Ketchup on the big screen, Bulb, September 21, 2016
- Jump up^ 10 jaw-dropping images from the movie “Mars et Avril,” and how the magic was created, article from the official TED Blog, June 7, 2013
- Jump up^ A sci-fi film with a $ 2 million budget, Martin Villeneuve at TED2013, article from the official TED Blog, February 27, 2013
- Jump up^ Quebec’s first TED Talk, article from Cult Montreal, June 7, 2013
- Jump up^ 3 Things You Need to Make an Impossible Movie, article from Film School Rejects, July 1, 2013
- Jump up^ Making an Impossible Film: How Director Martin Villeneuve Brought His Sci-Fi Drama to Life, article from No Film School, June 14, 2013
- Jump up^ 10 talks about the making of movie magic
- Jump up^ Mars et Avril on GaiamTV, September 13, 2013
- Jump up^ spend the weekend watching the impossible (and beautiful) Mars & Avril , review from io9 , December 6, 2013
- ^ Jump up to:a b c A Futuristic languages or fantasy and desire , Bulb, December 2, 2013
- ^ Jump up to:a b Imelda on Vimeo with English subtitles , September 8, 2015
- Jump up^ Quebec filmmaker Gives a TED Talk, Martin Villeneuve on Bernard St-Laurent’s show “C’est la vie” on CBC Radio One, June 16, 2013
- Jump up^ Benoit Charest: How music kan set you free, Bulb, December 2, 2013.