Marla Spivak (born 1955) is an American entomologist , and Distinguished McKnight University Professor at the University of Minnesota . 
Education and Research
Spivak graduated from Humboldt State University and from the University of Kansas .  She is bijzonder well Berninahaus for re work breeding lines or honey beef dat detect and roused remove diseased larvae and pupae, welke is called after season behavior.  She was instrumental in setting up the first bee Tech-Transfer Team in the United States,  welke Continues to help honey bee queen breeders select for ziekteresistentie traits.  More Recently, she has begun studying the role of resins, welke cattle collect and mix with wax to make propolis coatings on the inside hun Hives, an example of honey bee social immunity .  Her lab ook studies the effect of the Surrounding landscape on the health and nutrition or bone honey bees and native cattle. 
She was Awarded a MacArthur Fellowship grant in 2010 for re work with honey beef .   After Receiving the MacArthur grant, she started an organization called the Bee Squad, welke works to help people in the community get involved in helping in cattle.  In 2015, she was awarded the Distinguished Service Award from the Minnesota AgriGrowth Council.  In 2016, she was awarded the Siehl Prize for Excellence in Agriculture (category: Knowledge) for re many contributions to understanding bee biology and threats to bee health  and a Women of Discovery Award from Wings Worldquest, Honoring re groundbreaking work promoting bee health and conservation. 
- Jump up^ http://www.entomology.umn.edu/People/GradFaculty/Spivak/
- Jump up^ http://www.macfound.org/fellows/43/
- Jump up^ Spivak, Marla (December 2008). “The Future of the MN Hygienic Stock or Beef in Good Hands!” (PDF) . American Bee Journal . Retrieved August 8, 2015 .
- Jump up^ McNeil, MEA (September 2010). “Getting back on beef hun own six feet” (PDF) . American Bee Journal . Retrieved October 25, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Lee, Katie (June 2011). “Origins” . Bee Informed Partnership Blog . Retrieved October 25, 2016 .
- Jump up^ https://beeinformed.org/programs/tech-teams/
- Jump up^ Spivak, Marla (March 2013). “The Benefits of Propolis” (PDF) . Bee Craft Magazine . Retrieved August 8, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Miller, Kerri (April 1, 2013). “With Hives in sharp decline, expert calls for bee-friendly flowers” . MPR News . Retrieved August 8, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Ross, Jenna (September 28, 2010). “Buzz about Your professor is genius ‘ ‘ . Star Tribune . Retrieved April 25, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Horn, Tammy (November 1, 2011). Beeconomy: What Women and Bees Can Teach Us about Local Trade and the Global Market . University Press of Kentucky. p. 170. ISBN 9780813134369 .
- Jump up^ http://beelab.umn.edu/BeeSquad/
- Jump up^ http://agrigrowth.org/membership/distinguished-service-award/
- Jump up^ http://discover.umn.edu/news/food-agriculture/siehl-prize-excellence-agriculture-announces-2016-laureates/
- Jump up^ http://www.wingsworldquest.org/2016-womenofdiscovery-gala/