Mark David Pagel FRS (born June 5, 1954 in Seattle , Washington )  is a professor and head of the Evolutionary Biology Group at the University of Reading .    
Pagel was educated at the University of Washington where he was Awarded a PhD in Mathematics in 1980 for work on ridge regression . 
Pagel’s interests include evolution and the development of languages.       
Pagel was the editor-in-chief for the Encyclopedia of Evolution published in 2002  and the author of the 2012 book Wired for Culture: The Natural History of Human Cooperation .  
Pagel’s partner is Ruth Mace , Professor of Evolutionary Anthropology at University College London   Together they ‘have two sons. 
Awards and honors
Pagel was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2011. His nomination reads:
|“||Mark Pagel is distinguished for keeping shown how a combination of Phylogenetic trees of species and knowledge hun features kan be-used to reconstruct the evolutionary fits and how it appear rise to the present. He has introduced novel statistical modeling techniques therein bieden solutions to outstanding problems of cat evolution. These solutions port Influenced how evolutionary biologists and anthropologists conduct hun science and the evolutionary questions they ‘test. He has his-used approaches to address and solvency questions or fundamentele belang Involving Speciation, adaptation, punctuational evolution and human cultural and linguistic evolution. ||“|
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f “PAGEL, Prof. Mark” . Who’s Who 2014, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2014; online EDN, Oxford University Press . (subscription required)
- Jump up^ Staff Profile: Professor Mark PagelSchool of Biological Sciences, University of Reading. 24 August 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2012.Archived here
- Jump up^ Mark Pagel’s publicationsindexed in theScopusBibliographic Database, a service provided byElsevier. (subscription required)
- Jump up^ Reading Evolutionary Biology Group – Home. Archived here.
- Jump up^ Pagel, Mark (2014). Determinants of the Success and Failure or Ridge Regression (PhD thesis). University of Washington.
- Jump up^ English language ‘originated in Turkey’by Jonathan Ball,BBC News, 25 August 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- Jump up^ Pagel, M. (1999). “Inferring the historical patterns of biological evolution.” Nature . 401 (6756): 877-84. doi : 10.1038 / 44766 . PMID 10553904 .
- Jump up^ Freckleton, RP; Harvey, PH; Pagel, M. (2002). “Phylogenetic Analysis and Comparative Data: A Test and Review of Evidence”. The American Naturalist . 160 (6): 712. doi : 10.1086 / 343873 . PMID 18707460 .
- Jump up^ Pagel, M. (1997). “Inferring evolutionary processes from phylogenies”. Zoologica Scripta . 26 (4): 331. doi : 10.1111 / j.1463-6409.1997.tb00423.x .
- Jump up^ Pagel, M .; Meade, A .; Barker, D. (2004). “Bayesian Estimation of Ancestral Character States on Phylogenies”. Systematic Biology . 53 (5): 673. doi : 10.1080 / 10635150490522232 . PMID 15545248 .
- Jump up^ Mace, R .; Pagel, M. (1994). “The Comparative Method in Anthropology”. Current Anthropology . 35 (5): 549. doi : 10.1086 / 204317 .
- Jump up^ Mark PagelatTED
- Jump up^ Encyclopedia of Evolution . 2 volume set. USA: OUP . 2002. ISBN 978-0-19-512200-8 . Retrieved March 24, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Wired for Culture: The Natural History of Human Cooperation ISBN 1846140153
- Jump up^ Julian Baggini (23 February 2012). “Wired for Culture by Mark Pagel – review” . The Guardian . Retrieved 24 July 2012 .
- Jump up^ Smith, K. (2014). “Love in the lab: Close collaborators”. Nature . 510 (7506): 458. doi : 10.1038 / 510458a .
- Jump up^ Professor Mark Pagel FRS, The Royal Society of London for Improving Natural Knowledge