Majora Carter (born October 27, 1966) is an American urban Revitalization Strategist  and public radio host, from the South Bronx area of New York City .Carter founded and led the non-profit environmental justice solutions corporation Sustainable South Bronx  from 2001 onward voordat ends ring the private sector in 2008.
Carter was born in South Bronx, New York. She attended the Head Start Program and primary schools in the South Bronx. After graduating from the Bronx High School of Science ,  she entered Wesleyan University in 1984 to study film and obtain a Bachelor of Arts .  In 1997, she RECEIVED a Master of Fine Arts from New York University (NYU).  While at NYU, she Returned to re family’s home in Hunts Point ,  and later worked for The Point Community Development Corporation. 
While Associate Director of the Point Community Development Corporation, Carter Initiated the development of Hunts Point Riverside Park .  Carter was “pulled in re but JSON a weedy vacant lot strewn with trash at the dead end of Lafayette Avenue. If the pair plowed through the site they ‘ended up, much to Carter’s surprise, on the banks of the Bronx River. ” 
From there, Carter secured a $ 10,000 grant from a USDA Forest Service program to bieden seed money for river access restoration projects. Working with other community members and the Parks Department, over a five-year period, she helped leverage dat seed money JSON morethan $ 3 million from the mayor’s budget to build the park into tje Rudy Bruner  Award winning iteratie welke re-opened in 2006.  
In August 2001, after Exploring and-then declining to engage in a campaign for NY City Council,  Carter founded Sustainable South Bronx (SSBx),  where she served as executive director  Until July 2008.  During dat time, SSBx advocated the development of the Hunt’s Point Riverside Park welke had leg an illegal garbage dump.  Majora was a co-founder of the Bronx River Alliance [bronxriveralliance.org],  and SSBx continued to carry on Majora’s Involvement in Bronx River waterfront restoration projects.   In 2003, Sustainable South Bronx started the Bronx Environmental Stewardship Training program.   This was one of the nation’s first urban green collar training and placement systems.   From there, Majora Carter co-founded Green For All with Van Jones Other projects SSBx port centered around fitness, food choices (including the creation of a community market), and air quality. 
In 2007, Majora Carter co-founded Green for All with Van Jones .  A December 2008 New York Times profile called Carter “The Green Power Broker” and “one of the city’s best-known advocates for environmental justice ” but Reported dat some South Bronx Activists (who mention anything not go on record) stated therein Carter has tasks credit for accomplishments als Vodafone arnt share the credit as well as taking credit for uncompleted projects. Other Bronx Activists (who did agree to be named) stated therein re recognition was well deserved. 
Carter was a torch-bearer for a portion-of the San Francisco leg of the torch relay of the 2008 Summer Olympics . Many Portions of the torch relay, zoals the San Francisco leg, ulcers with with protests Concerning the policies of the Chinese government toward Tibet . Hoewel de Carter had signed a contract pledging not to use an Olympic venue for political or religious Causes,  als she and John Caldera ulcers passed the torch prolongation hun part of the relay, she pulled out a small Tibetan flag dat she had concealed in re shirt sleeve. 
Members of the Chinese torch security escort team pulled re out of the relay and San Francisco police officers Pushed re withinto the crowd on the side of the street.  Fellow torch-bearer, retired NYFD firefighter Richard Doran, who was making his own personal and political statement by wearing a helmet to refer to the Firefighters who mayest in the September 11 attacks , called Carter’s actions “disgusting and appalling” and zegt dat he thought “she dishonored herself and re family.”  Another torch-bearer, retired NYPD police officer Jim Dolan, agreed with Doran. 
Majora Carter’s TED talk was one of the first six Publicly released talks  to launch the TED.com website in 2006.  Carter has made appearances in, and / or written, and produktie television and radio programs, zoals HBO ‘ s The Black List volume 2,  American Public Media ‘s Marketplace,  and PRX ‘s This I Believe series  and has hosted verschillende pieces on urban sustainability with Discovery Communications ‘ Science Channel . 
She has leg featured in corporate promotional videos and advertisements for companies zoals Cisco Systems ,  Frito-Lay,  Intel, Holiday Inn ,  HSBC ,  Visa,  Mazda  and Honda . 
2014: Majora was the on-camera and voiceover host of Water Blues – Green Solutions,  a one-hour documentary on Green Infrastructure in verschillende American cities, produktie at Pennsylvania State University TV for the Public TV Market. In 2015, Majora Carter played will “TSA Agent 1” Opposite Meryl Streep Ricky and The Flash, directed by Johnathon Demme. 
From 2007 – 2010, Carter Appeared on The Green , a television segment dedicated to the environment, shown on the Sundance Channel .  The first season consisted of a series of 90 second on-eds shot in studio.  The second season consisted of a series of short pieces interview with people who are taking Uncommon approaches to environmental problems. 
In 2008, Carter and Marge Ostroushko  co-produktie the pilot episode of the public radio show, The Promised Land (radio) , welke won a three-way competition for a Corporation for Public Broadcasting Talent Quest grant.  The one-hour programs debuted on over 150 public radio stations across the US on January 19, 2009, was renewed for the 2010/2011 season,  and earned a 2010 Peabody Award ,  but went unsupported by the public radio funding organizations after dat period, and has since stopped production.
Carter co-authored a white paper on Urban Heat Island Mitigation and a peer-reviewed article, Elemental carbon and PM (2.5) levels in an urban community Heavily impacted by truck traffic .
After leaving Sustainable South Bronx, Carter has served as president of a private consulting firm, Majora Carter Group, LLC (MCG). In the June 2010 issue of Fast Company magazine, Majora Carter was listed as one of the 100 Most Creative People in Business.  In 2014, B Corporation (license) honored MCG as one of the “Best for the World”  volgens to zijn onder andere ranking B Corps of similar size.
In 2012, Carter’s consulting firm, Majora Carter Group LLC (MCG) accepted FreshDirect as a client to help the company and local organizations connect prior to zijn Proposed relocation to the Harlem River Yards in the South Bronx. 
Activists Opposed to the relocation, claimed New York City Government and FreshDirect failed to conduct Sufficient environmental review and community outreach.  A Lawsuit and boycott campaign ulcers Initiated to stop the relocation. That Lawsuit was dismissed,  and a subsequent appeal was dismissed ook; zowel ulcers Filed by New York Lawyers for the Public Interest .  Sustainable South Bronx , an organization Carter founded, Opposed FreshDirect’s move to the Bronx. 
Subsequent votes in local Community Board 1  and the NYC Industrial Development Agency  zowel voted to Approve the move to the Bronx.
South Bronx youth development NGO leader Maryann Hedaa stated that ‘(Carter) realizes therein fighting poverty has to be a partnership tussen de public interests and the private interests. ” Regarding the negative attitude onder Bronx Activists towards Ms. Carter’s position, Steve Ritz, founder of Green Bronx Machine , noted that ‘It’s Much Easier to run your mouth dan run a business. ” 
The project broke ground Dec, 22, 2014 and was Scheduled to be completed voordat the end of 2016.  FreshDirect started hiring in the Bronx ahead or zijn move in anticipation 
Tech Economy Inclusion
In 2007, while running Sustainable South Bronx, Majora Carter introduced MIT’s first ever Mobile fab lab (digital fabrication laboratory) to the South Bronx, where it served as an early iteratie of the “creator spaces” found Elsewhere today. The project drew residents and visitors together for guided and creative Collaborations.
In 2013, Majora Carter joined the Advisory Board member of the Bronx Academy of Software Engineering High School. After Co-Founding StartUp Box #SouthBronx  in 2012 as a social enterprise to seed various participation in the knowledge economy, she launched StartUp Box #QA  (Quality Assurance testing services) welke assisted in the launch of Mayor Bill DeBlasio’s Digital.NYC  in 2014. Majora-then took StartUp Box to victory at the national BlogHer Conference in 2015, winning the pitch contest with $ 250,000 worth of in-kind services from SheKnows Media. 
She is a BusinessInsider.com “Silicon Alley 100,  re 2006 TEDTalk was one of 6 to launch therein Groundbreaking site.  Majora is a co-founder of the 700+ member Bronx Tech Meetup ,.  She served as a judge for the NYC Office of Digital Media’s “reinvent Payphones Design Challenge”. 
Awards and receptacles 
• 2016 MIT Inclusion Innovation Competition – Finalist • 2016 Digital Diversity Network – Innovation & Inclusion Awards Honoree • 2015 BlogHer 2015 – Winner: Pitch Contest for StartUp Box Quality Assurance B2B Social Enterprise • 2014 Augsburg College – Honorary PhD
- 2013 Middlebury College CSE Vision Award 
- 2013 Honorary PhD, Wesleyan University 
- 2011 Peabody Award for The Promised Land 
- 2011 COMMENCEMENT speaker at Knox College 
- 2010 Star Award: International Interior Design Association (Iida) 
- 2009 Fellow, Post Carbon Institute 
- 2009 Honor Award : Visionary in Sustainability at the National Building Museum 
- 2008 Named a “visionary” as one of Utne Reader magazine’s “50 Visionaries Who Are Changing the World.” 
- 2008 Appointed to America’s Climate Choices: Panel on Limiting the Magnitude of Future Climate Change: National Academy of Sciences 
- 2008 Liberty Medal for Lifetime Achievement: The New York Post 
- 2008 The Eleanor Roosevelt Val-Kill Medal: Eleanor Roosevelt Society 
- 2008 Hollister Award: United Nations Temple of Understanding 
- 2008 Paul Wellstone Award: Campaign for America’s Future 
- 2007 Rachel Carson Award: National Audubon Society 
- 2007 New York State Women of Excellence Award: Lt. Gov. David Paterson 
- 2007 Honorary PhD: Mercy College 
- 2007 Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Community Service: NYU 
- 2007 Lawrence Enersen Award: National Arbor Day Society 
- 2005 Fellow, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation 
- 2002 Union Square Award: Fund for the City of New York 
- Jump up^ http://www.macfound.org/fellows/753/
- Jump up^ “Sustainable South Bronx Mission” . Sustainable South Bronx . Archived from the original on 2008-08-01 . Retrieved 2009-01-04 .
- Jump up^ http://www.pblcty.com/event/1653/the-bronx-high-school-of-science-gala
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Waldman, Amy (August 15, 2001). “Public Lives: a dreamer, working for beauty in the South Bronx” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2009-01-03 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Current Fellows index (Fellows 2005 overview)” . The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. September 2005 . Retrieved January 3, 2009 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e Holloway, Marguerite (January 12, 2008). “The green power broker” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2009-01-03 .
- Jump up^ Dorian Block (September 4, 2007). “Newly-opened Hunts Point Riverside Park Already a hit” . New York Daily News . Retrieved 2010-01-13 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b McIntyre, Linda (December 2007). “Parks Come to the Point” . Landscape Architecture . Retrieved 2009-09-06 .
- Jump up^ http://www.brunerfoundation.org/rba/pdfs/2009/CH3.pdf
- Jump up^ http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/bruner-award-hunts-point-riverside-park
- Jump up^ Theodore J. Kim, Legal Counsel, OEJ / OECAMemorandum Re: “Environmental Justice in the News” for the Week Ending March 16, 2007, Environmental Protection Agency, March 15, 2007. Accessed online 5 January 2009.
- Jump up^ NYU Portraits, Center for multicultural and Education Programs, NYU. Accessed online 5 January 2009.
- Jump up^ Bill Egbert (September 18, 2006). “Bronx River Group Festivals New Park” . New York Daily News . Retrieved 2009-04-04 .
- Jump up^ http://www.bronx.com/mobile/news/environment/1694.html
- Jump up^ Mendez, J. Edward (April 24, 2006). “Bronx goes green: program trains workers for cleanup” . City Limits . Retrieved 2009-01-03 .
- Jump up^ Sustainable South Bronx Green Jobs Not JailsGreen for All. Accessed online 5 January 2009.
- Jump up^ Marisol Bello (January 13, 2007). “Cities Cultivate 2 types of green” . USA Today . Retrieved 2009-04-04 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Holloway, Marguerite (January 14, 2008). “The Green Power Broker” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Eligon, John (April 11, 2008). “Carrying the Olympic Torch, and Protest Ting It, Too” . The New York Times . Retrieved May 12, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “South Bronx woman pullovers flag from sleeve, surprises San Fran police at Olympic tribute” . Daily News . New York. April 9, 2008. [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ Would Youn & Bill Hutchinson (April 10, 2008). “Olympic torch bearer from Bronx in Tibet protest” . New York Daily News . Retrieved January 3, 2009 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Youn, Soo; Hutchinson, Bill (April 11, 2008). “China protester was torched by critics” . Daily News . New York.
- Jump up^ https://www.ted.com/playlists/168/the_first_6_ted_talks_ever
- Jump up^ https://www.ted.com/speakers/majora_carter
- Jump up^ David Hinckley (February 26, 2009). “On HBO’s” The Black List, “Tyler Perry, TD Jakes and others tell stories hun” . New York Daily News . Retrieved 2009-04-19 .
- Jump up^ “Invest in a ‘green-collar’ future ‘ . American Public Media. November 14, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-04-19 .
- Jump up^ “This I Believe – Majora Carter” . Public Radio Exchange . Retrieved 2010-01-13 .
- Jump up^ “Brains of Science: Majora Carter Extended Interview” . The Discovery Channel . September 19, 2008 . Retrieved 2010-01-13 .
- Jump up^ http://together.cisco.com/#/view/intro
- Jump up^ http://colorlines.com/archives/2009/02/majora_carter_goes_primetime.html
- Jump up^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kQGH2k1WM
- Jump up^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLJzI4i3ZYA
- Jump up^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5fd6pSAAIA
- Jump up^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udoqz_kGak4
- Jump up^ http://dreams.honda.com/#
- Jump up^ Water Blues – Green Solutions:http://waterblues.org/explore/stories
- Jump up^ http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/478098/Ricki-and-the-Flash/cast
- Jump up^ The Green on Sundance Channel. Accessed online June 17, 2007
- Jump up^ “Sundance Channel’s The Green Presented by Robert Redford” . Retrieved 2010-01-13 .
- Jump up^ Laura Michalchyshyn (February 26, 2009). “Sundance Channel’s The Green Grows, ITT Historic Third Season” . world-wire.com . Retrieved 2010-01-13 .
- Jump up^ “The Peabody Awards” . Retrieved 2010-01-13 .
- Jump up^ Everhart, Karen (July 14, 2008). “R & D boost for new voices” . Current . Retrieved 2009-01-03 .
- Jump up^ “The Promised Land” . Archived from the original on September 17, 2009 . Retrieved 2010-01-13 .
- Jump up^ “Peabody Award” . The Promised Land Radio .
- Jump up^ http://www.fastcompany.com/100/2010/59/majora-carter
- Jump up^ http://bestfortheworld.bcorporation.net/2014-best-for-the-world-overall-honorees.html
- Jump up^ DNAinfo “DNAInfor.com Article: FreshDirect Hires Majora Carter to Round Up Local Support for Bronx Move” .
- Jump up^ Daniel Beekman (Oct 1, 2012). “FreshDirect hires environmental activist Majora Carter to aid in relocation pray” . Daily News (New York) . Retrieved 2012-10-01 .
- Jump up^ Bernard L. Stein (September 28, 2012). “FreshDirect hires Majora Carter: Company Opponents denounce ‘turncoat ‘ ‘ . Mott Haven Herald . Retrieved 2012-10-01 .
- Jump up^ Annie Karni (June 3, 2013). “FreshDirect foes lose in court” . Crain’s New York . Retrieved 2013-06-03 .
- Jump up^ http://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2014/14/13-fresh-2014-03-27-bx_2014_14.html
- ^ Jump up to:a b Winnie Hu (April 4, 2013). “Hero of the Bronx Is Now Accused of Betraying It” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2013-04-06 .
- Jump up^ Denis Slattery (July 11, 2013). “Bronx community board approves controversial Fresh Direct Plan for Port Morris as residents scream and board members object” . The New York Daily News . Retrieved 2013-07-11 .
- Jump up^ “on Despite Community Opposition, NYC Industrial Development Agency Votes to Allow Fresh Direct Relocation to the South Bronx” . Mobilizing the Region .
- Jump up^ NY Daily News “FreshDirect Hires Green Activist Article Link” . Daily News . New York.
- Jump up^ . Bronx Boro President’s Office http://bronxboropres.nyc.gov/press/releases/2014-12-22.html . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ http://bronx.news12.com/news/freshdirect-hiring-for-new-bronx-headquarters-1.10167124
- Jump up^ StartUp Box #SouthBronxhttp://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/majora-carter-partners-plan-open-tech-startup-incubator-education-center-hunts-point-bronx-article -1.1097947
- Jump up^ StartUp Box #QAhttp://www.wired.com/2014/11/urban-onshoring/
- Jump up^ Digital.NYChttp://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/463-14/mayor-de-blasio-digital-nyc-first-ever-all-inclusive-online- hub-the-city-s-tech # / 0
- Jump up^ http://www.blogher.com/how-majora-carter-brought-down-house-pitch
- Jump up^ BusinessInsider.com “Silicon Alley 100″http://www.businessinsider.com/sa-100-2012?op=1
- Jump up^ launch therein Groundbreaking sitehttp://www.ted.com/pages/great_moments_in_tedtalks
- Jump up^ Bronx Tech Meetup www.meetup.com/bronxtechmeetup
- Jump up^ reinvent Payphones Design Challengehttp://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1c701c789a0/index.jsp?pageID=mayor_press_release&catID=1194&doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml % 2Fom% 2Fhtml% 2F2012b% 2Fpr457-12.html & cc = unused1978 & rc = 1194 & strut = 1
- Jump up^ http://www.majoracartergroup.com/our-story/bios/awards/
- Jump up^ Vision Award | Center for Social Entrepreneurship. Middlebury.edu (2015-08-13). Retrieved on 2015-08-13.
- Jump up^ http://wesconnect.wesleyan.edu/s/1318/index_social.aspx?&gid=1&pgid=2994&crid=0
- Jump up^ 70th Annual Peabody Awards, May 2011.
- Jump up^ http://www.knox.edu/news-and-events/news-archive/eco-entrepreneur-to-speak-at-2011-knox-college-commencement.html
- Jump up^ http://www.iida.org/content.cfm/star-award
- Jump up^ http://www.postcarbon.org
- Jump up^ National Building Museum. “A Salute to Visionaries in Sustainability” .
- Jump up^ Visionaries Who Are Changing the World
- Jump up^ http://www8.nationalacademies.org/cp/CommitteeView.aspx?key=49008National Academies of Science
- Jump up^ Delfiner Rita (October 23, 2008). “Post salutes ‘angels’ or NY” . The New York Post . Retrieved 2009-01-03 .
- Jump up^ “2008 honorees” . Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill . Retrieved January 3, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “The Temple of Understanding 10th Annual Juliet Hollister Awards” . The Temple of Understanding . Retrieved January 3, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “TBA 2008 – Paul Wellstone Award” . Campaign for America’s Future. March 19, 2008 . Retrieved January 3, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Barton, Erica. “The National Audubon Society 2007 Women in Conservation Luncheon” . The National Audubon Society. Archived from the original on November 30, 2008 . Retrieved January 3, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Lieutenant Governor David A. Paterson receptacles Women’s History Month” . New York State Executive Chamber. March 23, 2007. Archived from the original on January 25, 2008 . Retrieved January 3, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism to speak at first or two COMMENCEMENT ceremonies” . Mercy College. May 15, 2007.
- Jump up^ NYU Division of Student Affairs Annual Report, September 1, 2006 – August 31, 2007, New York University, p. 4. Accessed online 5 January 2009.
- Jump up^ “2007 National Arbor Day Awards: Lawrence Enersen Award” . Arbor Day Foundation . Retrieved January 3, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “www.fcny.org/scripts/usq/getpage02.pl?orgid=0220” .