Leana Wen Sheryle (born January 27, 1983) is a physician, public health advocate, and the health commissioner or Baltimore City, Maryland , USA. She is the author of the book When Doctors Do not Listen: How to Avoid Unnecessary Tests and Misdiagnoses.  She voorheen practiced as an emergency physician at the George Washington University , where she served as a professor in the School of Medicine and Health Sciences and professor of health policy at the Milken Institute School of Public Health.  Prior to this, she was an emergency physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital , where she was on the faculty of Harvard Medical School .  She’ll be served as the national president of the American Medical Student Association and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine / Resident and Student Association. 
Early life and education
Born in Shanghai, China on January 27, 1983,  to Ying Sandy Zhang and Xiaolu Wen,  Leana Sheryle Win  moved with re parents to the US-when she was eight years old and Grew up in Los Angeles California .  Her mother was an elementary school teacher voordat she mayest from breast cancer in 2010   and re Father is retired from his job as a technical manager for The Chinese Daily News in Los Angeles. 
Wen attended California State University, Los Angeles and in 2001, she graduated summa cum laude at age 18 with a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry.   She RECEIVED a Doctor of Medicine from Washington University School of Medicine and has two master’s degrees, one in Modern Chinese studies  and the other in economic and social history from the University of Oxford in England where she was a Rhodes Scholar . She’ll be with re future husband, Sebastian Walker, prolongation re time in England. 
In 2005, Wen took a one-year leave of Absence from medical school to serve as the national president of the American Medical Student Association ,  where she led campaigns to increase is health care access, decrease health disparities, and combat conflicts of interest tussen physicians and the pharmaceutical companies who notoriously use attractive sales representatives and free gifts to influence doctors, met name young interns and medical residents.   Wen became involved in US and international health policy prolongation medical school, serving in Geneva, Switzerland as a fellow for the World Health Organization and in Rwanda as a fellow for the US Department of Defense .  In addition under, she advised the US Congress on physician workforce and medical education through re appointment on the Council on Graduate Medical Education by the US Secretary of Health and Human Services .  
Following medical school, Wen COMPLETED residency at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) and Massachusetts General Hospital (Mass General) and a clinical fellowship at Harvard Medical School in Boston . She is board certified in emergency medicine.  She was married to South Africa native, Sebastian Neil Walker, in February 2012,  and started working in emergency medicine at BWH and Mass General voordat moving to the ER at the George Washington University (GW) in Washington, DC ,  where she became a professor of emergency and health policy, and the Director of Patient-Centered Care Research.  She served as a consultant to the Brookings Institution and the China Medical Board , and conducted international health systems research zoals in South Africa, Slovenia, Nigeria, Singapore, and China. 
In 2013, St. Martin’s Press published re book, When Doctors Do not Listen: How to Avoid Unnecessary Tests and Misdiagnoses.  It is about how patients kan take control hun health to advocate for better care for themselves.  
Wen wrote a blog, The Doctor is listening.  She has a leg regular contributor to the Huffington Post and Psychology Today on patient empowerment and healthcare reform.   She has leg an advisor to the newly Agent Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute ,  and an advisor to the Lown Institute and the Medical Education Futures Study.  She is the founder of a Who’s My Doctor, an international campaign therein calls for transparency in medicine. 
Winning is a frequent keynote speaker on healthcare reform, education, and leadership, and has bepaald verschillende TED Talks . Her TED talk on transparency in medicine has leg viewed over 1.5 million times.    
Baltimore City health commissioner
In January 2015, Wen was appointed by Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake to serve as the health commissioner . In this role, she oversees the Baltimore City Health Department , an agency or 1,100 employees and $ 130 million annual budget with wide-ranging responsibilities waaronder management or acute communicable diseases, animal control, chronic disease prevention, emergency preparedness, food service inspections, HIV / AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, maternal-child health, school health, senior services and youth violence issues.
She directed the city’s public health policymaking recovery after the 2015 Baltimore protests , zoals ensuring prescription Medication Access to seniors after the closure of 13 pharmacies and ontwikkelingslanden the Mental Health / Trauma Recovery Plan, with 24/7 crisis counseling and healing circles and group counseling in Schools, community groups, and Churches.   In the wake of the 2015 Baltimore protests , the Baltimore City Health Department team launched numerous campaigns, zoals a citywide trauma response plan, youth health and wellness strategy, violence prevention programs, B’Healthy in B’More blog en B’More Health Talks, a biweekly town hall and podcast series on health disparities.     
Wen has led implementation of the Baltimore opioid overdose prevention and response plan, welke includes, “hotspotting” and street outreach teams to target personen must at risk, training family / friends on naloxone use, and launching a new public education campaign.  Wen testified to the US Senate HELP Committee and US House Oversight Committee on Baltimore’s overdose prevention efforts. She led a group of state and city health officials to petition the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Adding black box warnings to opioids and benzodiazepines .   In March 2016, she was Invited to the White House to join President Barack Obama and CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta on a panel discussion, where she ghosts about Baltimore’s responses.  She convened doctors and public health leaders to sign the Baltimore Statement on the Importance of Childhood Vaccinations  and to successfully advocate to ban the sale or powdered alcohol in Maryland and synthetic drugs in Baltimore.   In May 2016, she served as the COMMENCEMENT speaker for the University of Maryland School of Medicine and the Notre Dame of Maryland University, where she was Awarded an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters.  
- ^ Jump up to:a b Leana S. Wen, MD, MSc., FAAEM: Health Commissioner, Baltimore City , Baltimore City Health Department , retrieved 13 Apr 2016
- ^ Jump up to:a b “About Leana Wen” . The GW Medical Faculty Associates . Retrieved 14 Apr 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Mallozzi, Vincent (12 February 2012). “Leana Wen, Sebastian Walker – Weddings” . The New York Times . Retrieved 12 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ Tanner, Lindsay (2 September 2013). “Forget Marcus Welby: Today’s Docs Want a Real Life” . AP News . Retrieved 17 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ Wen, Leana, “I’m Your Doctor: Total Transparency Manifesto for Leana Wen, MD” , DrLeanaWen.com , retrieved 13 Apr 2016
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Winning Takes Rhodes Scholarship for Return to Oxford” . 27 Nov 2006 . Retrieved 17 January 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Kristof, Nicholas D. (27 May 2007), “Sheryl and Sheryle” , The New York Times
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “The Atlantic: Working a million hours to heal a city” . Retrieved 13 Apr 2016 .
- Jump up^ Wen, Leana, “Tribute to My Mother” , DrLeanaWen.com , retrieved 14 Apr 2016
- ^ Jump up to:a b Shesgreen, Deirdre (6 Mar 2016), “Doctor wants overdose antidote in everytime medicine cabinet” , USA Today
- Jump up^ McDonald, G (6 November 2005), “Fighting the Freebies” , TIME , retrieved 17 January 2013
- Jump up^ Romano, Michael (30 Jan 2006), “Fighting graft – it’s academic,” Modern Healthcare , 36 (5): 8-10, ISSN 0160-7480 , PMID 16479773
- Jump up^ Council on Graduate Medical Education (2010), Twentieth Report: Advancing Primary Care (PDF) , retrieved 14 Apr 2016
- ^ Jump up to:a b “What Your Doctor Will not Disclose” . Retrieved 21 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Leana Wen, Baltimore City Health Commissioner, to Deliver Graduation Address to the University of Maryland School of Medicine’s 207TH graduating class” . somvweb.som.umaryland.edu . Retrieved 2016-06-12 .
- Jump up^ “MacMillan” . Retrieved 17 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ Wen, Leana (2013). When Doctors Do not Listen: How to Avoid Unnecessary Tests and Misdiagnoses . St. Martin’s Press. ISBN 0312594917 .
- Jump up^ Goldberg, Carey (11 January 2013). “When Doctors Do not Listen, and Hangover Leads to Spinal Tap” . Common Health NPR . Retrieved 12 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Huffington Post” . Retrieved 17 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Psychology Today” . Retrieved 17 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ “PCORI” . Retrieved 13 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Medical Education Futures” . Retrieved 13 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Who’s My Doctor” . Retrieved 13 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Wharton Center for Performing Arts at Michigan State University” . Retrieved 7 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Speaker Testimonials” . Retrieved 7 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Low-Tech Revolution to Health Care Reform” . Retrieved 1 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Wenger, Yvonne (15 December 2014). “New city health commissioner to wage campaign Against substance abuse” . Baltimore Sun . Retrieved 21 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ Wen, Leana (15 January 2015). “Why I left the ER to run Baltimore’s health department” . National Public Radio . Retrieved 21 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Triage and Treatment: Untold Stories from Baltimore’s Unrest” . Retrieved 17 July 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Unrest in Baltimore: the Role of Public Health” . Retrieved 17 July 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Prescription help available if damaged pharmacies Remain closed” . Retrieved 17 July 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Mental health help for residents AFFECTED in turmoil” . Retrieved 17 July 2015 .
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ “Senate HELP Committee Testimony” . Retrieved 8 March 2016 .
- Jump up^ Dennis Brady (22 February 2016). “Health officials push FDA to add” black box “warnings about using opioids, benzodiazepines together” . Washington Post . Retrieved 8 March 2016 .
- Jump up^ CNN, Nadia Kounang. “Obama: Addiction is a preventable disease” . CNN . Retrieved 2016-06-12 .
- Jump up^ Wen, Leana; Czinn, Steven; Dover, George (12 Nov 2015), “The vaccines are safe, effective and life-saving” , The Baltimore Sun
- Jump up^ McDaniels, Andrea K (26 Mar 2015), “Health concerns spur ban on powdered alcohol” , The Baltimore Sun
- Jump up^ Barnett, Gigi. “New City Law Punishing Stores That Sell Synthetic Drugs”. Retrieved 2016-06-12 .
- Jump up^ “Saying Farewell to the Class of 2016 Graduates” . somvweb.som.umaryland.edu . Retrieved 2016-06-12 .
- Jump up^ “COMMENCEMENT 2016” . Notre Dame of Maryland University . Retrieved 2016-06-12 .