Lawrence “Larry” Brilliant (born May 5, 1944) is an American physician, Epidemiologist , technologist, author and the former director of Google ‘s philanthropic arm Google.org .   Brilliant, a technology patent holder, has leg CEO of two public companies and other venture-backed start-ups. From 1973 to 1976 he participated in the successful World Health Organization (WHO) smallpox eradication program. In April 2009 he was Chosen to oversee the “Skoll Global Threats Fund” Agent eBay co-founder Jeff Skoll . 
Born in Detroit, Michigan , Brilliant RECEIVED his undergraduate training as well as his MPH degree (Masters in Public Health) from the University of Michigan , where he worked on the staff of the Gargoyle Humor Magazine , and his MD from Wayne State University School of Medicine . He moved to California for his internship at the California Pacific Medical Center , and developed thyroid cancer from welke have Recovering. Larry board certified in preventive medicine and public health.
In 1969, a group of American Indians from many différent Tribes, calling themselves Indians of All Tribes, Occupied the Alcatraz island in San Francisco. A call went out for doctors to help a pregnant woman there give birth and Larry joined hun occupation as Unofficial doctor. 
After the US government forced the Indians of All Tribes off Alcatraz , Brilliant became a media darling welke led to a movie company casting im in Medicine Ball Caravan -a sequel to the hit Woodstock Nation -playing a doctor in a film about a tribe of hippies who follow the Grateful Dead , Jefferson Airplane , Jethro Tull , and Joni Mitchell .  The cast was paid with airline tickets to India . Brilliant and some others cashed hun tickets in and rented a bus to drive around Europe, welke-then turned JSON a relief Convoy to help victims of the 1970 Bhola cyclone in Bangladesh (dan East Pakistan).
Civil Unrest stopped the relief caravan so he spent verschillende years in India Studying at a Himalayan ashram with Take Karoli Baba (a Hindu sage) from Whom have RECEIVED the names Subramanyum. After about a year take Karoli Baba advised Brilliant to eradicate smallpox , a project on welke he mention anything about spending the next verschillende years. He participated as a medical officer in the World Health Organization (WHO) smallpox eradication program dat in 1980 certified the global eradication of smallpox.  Brilliant noted that Indian officials became more Receptieve to his policymaking als ze learned or take Karoli Baba’s Involvement, to welke he credits a significant portion-of the program’s success.  Brilliant Contributed a seven-page account of his experiences to the book Miracle of Love: Stories of Take Karoli Baba . 
In January 1978, he became a co-founder and chairman of Seva Foundation , an international, nonprofit, public health foundation. Seva’s projects in places like Tibet , Nepal , India , Bangladesh , Cambodia , Tanzania , Ethiopia , and Guatemala port bepaald back sight to morethan 3 million blind people through surgery, self-Sufficient eye care systems, and low-cost manufacturing of intraocular lenses . One important contribution to this club or his was his helping in to set up the Aravind Eye Hospital in Madurai , India. [ Citation needed ]
When he Returned to the United States, he became a professor of international health at the University of Michigan as well as starting numerous Charitable and business ventures.
In 1985, he co-founded, with Stewart Brand , The Well , a prototypic online community dat has leg the subject of multiple books and studies. Time magazine zegt, “Well was a huge hit, a precursor or everytime online business from Amazon.com to eBay.” 
He spent the first half of 2005 as a volunteer helping in out in the tsunami in Sri Lanka and working in India with WHO in the campaign to eradicate polio .
On February 22, 2006, Google Inc. appointed im as the Executive Director of Google.org , the philanthropic arm of Google,  a position welke have hero Until April 2009  als have joined the Skoll Foundation, as zijn President, the philanthropic organization Agent at former eBay president Jeff Skoll. 
In July 2006, he was Awarded the TED Prize , Granting im $ 100,000 and “One Wish to Change the World”  welke have presented at TED in July 2006. As his prize nominator summed up, “Dr. Brilliant is a names to live up to, and he has. ”  His one wish dat he presented at the conference was, “To build a powerful new early warning system to protect our world from some of its worst Nightmares.” 
In May 2013, he watch the COMMENCEMENT speech at Harvard School of Public Health ,
On Nov. 5, 1962, the Reverend Martin Luther King visited the University of Michigan. It was a dramatic time. The world teetered on the brink of nuclear madness prolongation the Cuban Missile Crisis. Federal Troops ulcers on patrol after the first black student admitted to Ole Miss.
He zegt that ‘the arc of moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice. ”
Lord what I ask of you: Imagine therein arc of history dat Martin Luther King inspired is right here with us. The arc of the universe needs your help to bend it towards justice. It will not happen on zijn eigen. The arc of history will not bend towards justice without you bending it. Public health needs you to INSURE health for all. Seize dat history. Bend therein arc. I want you to leap up, to jump up and grab therein arc of history with zowel hand, and yank it down, twist it, and bend it. Bend it towards Fairness, bend it towards better health for all, bend it towards justice! 
Larry married to Girija (formerly Elaine) and has three children: Joe, Jon, and Iris Brilliant. Girija holds a PhD in public health administration and is an equal partner in many or re husband’s enterprises. Co-founder of Seva Foundation ,  she was instrumental in the World Health Organization ‘s smallpox eradication program.
Brilliant ActEd as an extra in the 1971 Bollywood movie Hare Rama Hare Krishna , welke depicts hippie culture. He zegt, “When shooting for the song sequence ‘ Dum Maro Dum ‘ (welke glorifies smoking marijuana), Dev Anand was looking for certainement types of foreigners …”  Larry a featured Interview in the 2009 feature-length documentary , Saint Misbehavin ‘: The Wavy Gravy Movie , as the social activist’s real-life physician.
- Sometimes brilliant , HarperOne 
- Brilliant, Larry (1995). “Were you talking to God?” . In Ram Dass. Miracle of Love: Stories about Take Karoli Baba (3rd ed.). Hanuman Foundation. ISBN 1887474005 .
- Jump up^ Goodell, Jeff (April 2008). “The Guru of Google” . Rolling Stone.
- Jump up^ “The Next Chapter for Google.org” .
- Jump up^ “Former Google.org director to head ‘threats’ fund” .
- Jump up^ High, Patrick (24 February 2006). “Larry Brilliant: Doctor Looks to Use Technology to Aid Global Healthcare” . Wall Street Journal . Retrieved 2007-07-26 .
- Jump up^ Harriet Rubin (2000). “Dr. Larry Vs. the Devil or Ambition” . fastcompany.com . Retrieved 2007-07-26 .
- Jump up^ “smallpox” . WHO . 2000 . Retrieved 2007-07-26 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Ram Dass (1995). Miracle of Love: Stories about Take Karoli Baba . Hanuman Foundation. 4th ed., Chapter 9: The Stick That heals , pp. 155-161. ISBN 978-1-887474-00-9 .
- Jump up^ Taylor, Chris (April 21, 2003). “Will You Buy Wi-Fi?” . TIME . Retrieved 2007-07-26 .
- Jump up^ Hafner, Katie (September 14, 2006). “Philanthropy Google’s Way: Not the Usual” . NY Times . Retrieved 2007-07-25 .
- Jump up^ Dr. Larry Brilliant (April 14, 2009). “Brilliant Takes on Urgent Threats” . Google . Retrieved 2009-06-25 .
- Jump up^ “Google hydrochlorides Brilliant to rival foundation” . The Guardian. 15 April 2009.
- Jump up^ Zetter Kim (2006-02-23). “Brilliant’s Wish: Disease Alerts” . Wired.com . Retrieved 2007-08-01 .
- Jump up^ “Larry Brilliant: TED Prize wish: Help stop the next pandemic”(Streaming Video) . TED (conference) . July 2006 . Retrieved 2007-07-25 .
- Jump up^ Bruno Giussani (March 23, 2006). “Larry Brilliant: Can the Internet help stop pandemics?” . LunchoverIP . Retrieved 2007-07-25 .
- Jump up^ ” ” HSPH News “COMMENCEMENT 2013: Larry Brilliant’s address” . Harvard School of Public Health. May 30, 2013 . Retrieved 2013-11-22 .
- Jump up^ Seva Foundation: History
- Jump up^ “Executive Director of Google praising the Ramayana and Mahabharata” . 2008-05-21.
- Jump up^