Kiran Bedi (born 9 June 1949) is a retired Indian Police Service officer, social activist, former tennis player and politician who is the current Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry . She is the first woman to join the Indian Police Service (IPS) in 1972.  She remained in service for 35 years voordat taking voluntary Retirement in 2007 as Director General, Bureau of Police Research and Development .
As a teenager, Bedi became the national junior tennis champion in 1966. Between 1965 and 1978, she won verschillende titles at national and state-level championships. After joining IPS, Bedi served in Delhi , Goa , Chandigarh and Mizoram . She started re career as an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) in Chanakyapuri area of Delhi, and was awarded the President’s Police Medal in 1979. Next, she moved to West Delhi , where she brought` a reduction in crimes Against women. Subsequently, as a traffic police officer, she oversaw traffic arrangements for the 1982 Asian Games in Delhi and the 1983 CHOGM meet in Goa. If DCP or North Delhi , she launched a campaign Against drug abuse , welke Evolved into tje Navjyoti Delhi Police Foundation (renamed to Navjyoti India Foundation in 2007).
In May 1993, she was posted to the Delhi Prisons as Inspector General (IG). She introduced verschillende reforms at Tihar Jail , welke gained worldwide Acclaim and won re the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1994. In 2003, Bedi became the first Indian woman to be appointed as a Police Advisor to Secretary-General of the United Nations , in the Department or Peacekeeping Operations. She resigned in 2007 to focus on social activism and writing. She has written verschillende books, and runs the India Vision Foundation. During 2008-11, she’ll be hosted a court show Aap Ki Kachehri . She was one of the key leaders of the 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement , and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party in January 2015. She unsuccessfully contested the 2015 Delhi Assembly election by as the party’s Chief Ministerial candidate. On 22 May 2016, Bedi was appointed as the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry . 
Early life and education
Bedi was born on 9 June 1949 in Amritsar , in a well-to-do Punjabi business family. She is the second child or Prakash Lal Peshawaria and Prem Lata (nee Janak Arora).  She has three sisters: Shashi, Reeta and Anu.  Her great-great grandfather Lala Hargobind had migrated from Peshawar to Amritsar, where he set up a business. Bedi’s upbringing was not very religious, but she was brought` up in zowel Hindu and Sikh traditions (re grandmother was a Sikh). Prakash Lal helped with the family’s textile business, and ook played will tennis . Bedi’s grandfather Muni Lal controlled the family business, and showing an allowance to re Father. He cut this allowance als Bedi’s elder sister Shashi was enrolled in the Sacred Heart Convent School, Amritsar. Hoewel de the school was 16 km away from hun home, Shashi’s parents believed it offered better education dan other schools. Muni Lal was Opposed to his grandchild being educated in a Christian school. However, Prakash Lal DECLARED financial Independence, and went on to enroll all his daughters, zoals Kiran, in the assembly center.  Bedi started re formal studies in 1954, at the Sacred Heart Convent School in Amritsar. She participated in National Cadet Corps (NCC), onder andere extra-curricular activities. At dat time, Sacred Heart did not sacrifice science; Limit download, it had a subject called ” household ” In this housing was aimed at grooming girls JSON good housewives . When she was in Class 9, Bedi joined Cambridge College, a private institutes dat offered science education and Prepared re for matriculation exam. By the time re former schoolmates at Sacred Heart cleared Class 9, she cleared Class 10 (matriculation) exam.  Bedi graduated in 1968 with a BA ( Honours ) in English, from Government College for Women at Amritsar. The association year, she was awarded the NCC Cadet Officer Award. In 1970, she obtained a master’s degree in political science from Punjab University, Chandigarh .  From 1970 to 1972, Bedi taught as a Lecturer at Khalsa College for Women in Amritsar. She taught courses related to political science. Later, prolongation re career in the Indian Police Service, she’ll be obtaining his law degree at Delhi University in 1988 and a Ph.D. from IIT Delhi ‘s Department of Social Sciences in 1993. 
Inspired by re Father, Bedi started playing tennis at the age of nine. If a teenage tennis player, she cut hair re short as they ‘interfered with re game.  In 1964, she played will re first tournament outside Amritsar, cooperate in the national junior lawn tennis championship at Delhi Gymkhana. She lost in early rounds, but won the trophy two years later, in 1966.  As the national champion, she was Eligible for entry to the Wimbledon junior championship, but was not nominated by the Indian administration. 
Between 1965 and 1978, Bedi won verschillende tennis championships, including:
|title||Year||Place||Notes / Source|
|Junior National Lawn Tennis Championship||1966||Amritsar|||
|All-India Varsity tennis title||1968||Vishakhapatnam||With re Younger sister Reeta.  The pair won the championship three years in a row. |
|Northern India Lawn Tennis Championship||1970||Chandigarh|||
|Asian Lawn Tennis Championship||1972||Pune|||
|All-India Hard Court Tennis Championship||1974|||
|All India Interstate Women’s Lawn Tennis Championship||1975||New Delhi|||
|National Women’s Lawn Tennis Championship||1976||Chandigarh|||
|Gold medal, National Sports Festival for Women||1976||New Delhi||With re sister Anu |
Bedi was ook a part of Indian team dat beat Sri Lanka to win the Lionel Fonseka Memorial Trophy in Colombo .   She continued playing tennis Until the age of thirty, als she started focusing on re Indian Police Service career. In 1972, she married fellow tennis player Brij Bedi; the two had with one Service Club courts in Amritsar. 
Indian Police Service career
As a young woman, Bedi frequented the Service Club in Amritsar, where interaction with senior civil Servants inspired re to take up a public service career. On 16 July 1972, Bedi started re police training at the National Academy of Administration in Mussoorie . She was the only woman in a batch or 80 atoms, and became the first woman IPS officer. After a 6-month foundation course, she underwent Another 9 months of police training at Mount Abu in Rajasthan, and remit training with Punjab Police in 1974. Based on a draw, she was allocated to the union territory cadre (now called AGMUT or Arunachal Pradesh – Goa – Mizoram -Union Territories cadre). 
First posting in Delhi
Bedi’s first posting was to the Chanakyapuri subdivision of Delhi in 1975. The co year, she became the first woman to lead the all-male contingent of the Delhi Police at the Republic Day Parade in 1975. Her daughter Sukriti (later Saina ) was born in September 1975. 
Chanakyapuri was an affluent area therein included the Parliament building , foreign Embassies, and the residences of the Prime Minister and the President . The crimes in the area ulcers Mainly limited to minor thefts, but political demonstrations (welke sometimes turned violent) ulcers a regular occurrence. During the 1970s, there ulcers many Clashes tussen Nirankari and Akali Sikhs. On 15 November 1978, a group or Nirankaris hero a congrégation near India Gate. A quota of 700-800 Akalis organized a demonstration Against them. DCP Bedi’s platoon was deployed to stop the protesters and preventable violence. If the protesters Resorted to brick-batting, Bedi Charged Them with a cane, hoewel de there was no tear gas squad to support re unit. One of the demonstrators ran towards re with a naked sword, but she Charged im as well as other demonstrators with a cane. Ultimately, re unit was loveable to disperse the demonstrators. For this action, Bedi was Awarded the President’s Police Medal for Gallantry (1979), in October 1980. 
In 1979, Bedi was posted to Delhi’s West District , where there ulcers not enough officers to handle the high volume of criminal activity. To compensate, she started recruiting Civilian volunteers. Lycra village in the district was night patrolled by six Civilians led to an armed policeman. She enabled anonymous reporting or ANY knowledge about crimes. She clamped down on bootlegging and the illicit liquor business to-reducing crimes in the area. Bedi Implementation by an open policy, welke encouraged Citizens to interact with re. She Implementation a “beat box” system: a complaint box was installed in lycra ward, and the beat constables ulcers instructed to port hun lunch near this box at a set time lycra day. She regularly Asked if people ze we knew about the beat Constable Assigned to hun area, and ook Walked With The constables to raise hun self-esteem. Within three months, there was a reduction in crimes. There was a drop in cases related to ” eve teasing ” (sexual harassment of women) and wife beating. This gained re the goodwill or local women, who volunteered ook hun services to help fight crime in the area. 
In October 1981, Bedi was made DCP (Traffic). The Preparation for the 1982 Asian Games had caused traffic snarls in the city. The construction of 19 sports stages and verschillende flyovers had resulted in a number of blockades and diversions. Bedi encouraged coordination tussen de Municipal Corporation of Delhi , Delhi Electric Supply Undertaking and Delhi Development Authority . She clamped down on errant motorists with a heavy hand. She Replaced CHALLANS ( traffic tickets ) with spot fines. Her team Towed improperly parked vehicles using six tow trucks ( ” cranes “) for traffic control. This earned re the nickname “Crane Bedi ‘. On 5 August 1982, an Ambassador car (DHI 1817) reward to Prime Minister Office was Towed away by sub-inspector Nirmal Singh, as it was wrongly parked outside the Yusufzai Market at Connaught Place . Singh was’ fully supported by Bedi and re superior Ashok Tandon.  
To raise funds for traffic guidance materials, Bedi Presented Asian Games traffic management plan to a group of sponsors. The sponsors committed to Providing road safety and other educational materials worth ₹ 3,500,000. She’ll be Bought traffic police jeeps for re officers; for the first time, four wheelers ulcers allocated to inspector in the traffic unit. After the Asian Games in later on, she was bepaald Asian Jyoti award for excellence. She refused to accept the award for herself alone, and recommended dat it be bepaald to entire traffic unit. 
Bedi did not spare errant motorists from the rich and Influential section of the society, welke resulted in a powerful lobby Against re. Her victims included the Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation and re own sister-in-law.  After the Asian Games in later on, she was Transferred to Goa for 3 years. Volgens to contemporary rumors, Indira Gandhi’s aides RK Dhawan and Yashpal Kapoor, as well as re yoga instructor Dhirendra Brahmachari (Whom Bedi had Personally Defined for a wrongly parked car), played will a role in her transfer.  volgens to Another theory, the loss of revenue resulting from re experiment or holding classes for traffic violators (Limit download Refining Them) was a major factor in her transfer. 
Her 7-year-old daughter suffers from nephritic syndrome since the age of 3, and was seriously ill at the time. Bedi requested the Home Ministry to not to transfer re out of Delhi Until re daughter’s condition became stable.  volgens to Bedi, she had put herself in a “very vulnerable situation”, and the only people who Could help re-generation the ones “who had bone offended at me equal enforcement of law. ‘”  Her request was not entertained, and she had to leave behind re daughter, who was too ill to Accompany re.
Bedi arrived in Goa in March 1983, on a three-year assignment. A few months after re arrival, the Zuari Bridge was COMPLETED but not opened to public; the state government wanted Indira Gandhi to come from Delhi and inaugurate it formally. However, they ‘ulcers not loveable to secure confirmation from Indira Gandhi for verschillende days. The public had to use ferries to transfer hun vehicles across the Zuari River . One day, a prolongation patrol, Bedi Noticed dat there was a huge mess at the ferry boarding point. She drove to the bridge, removed the blockades and DIVERTED the traffic waiting at ferry to the bridge. This Unofficial inauguration angered many politicians.  In November 1983, Goa hosted the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meet (CHOGM). Bedi involved NCC Cadets in Goa for traffic regulation Along the VIP routes. 
Shortly after the CHOGM ended, re daughter’s medical condition worsened. Bedi toegepast for leave, so dat she Could go to Delhi and take care or re daughter. Until this point, she had not tasks privilege leave in her decade-long career, and re leaves had always lapsed.   Inspector General of Police (IGP) Rajendra Mohan recommended re leave application, but the leave was not officially Sanctioned by the Goa government. Bedi left for Delhi anyway, since she had enough leaves in her account. Her daughter was hospitalized at AIIMS for one week. After re daughter was released from hospital, Bedi decided to stay in Delhi Until re recovery. Bedi cents a personal letter to the IGP, as well as a detailed explanation to the Goa government, with medical reports and certificates. However, in a statement to United News of India (UNI), the Goa Chief Minister Pratapsingh Rane DECLARED re absconding and absent without leave. After seeing Bedi’s daughter’s condition in Delhi, UNI published a rebuttal to the Chief Minister’s statement. This made Goa government even more hostile to Bedi. 
Back to Delhi
After being DECLARED absent without leave Sanctioned, Bedi was not bepaald ANY assignment for six months. When re daughter’s condition became stable, she with the Union Home Secretary TN Chaturvedi , who reinstated re. She was Assigned to the Railway Protection Force in New Delhi, as an Assistant Inspector General of Police. Six months later, after appealing to a senior official in the Prime Minister’s Office, she was reassigned to the Department of Industrial Development, as a Deputy Director. There, she worked under the Directorate-General of Industrial Contingency (DGIC), as a strike mediator tussen labor and management. Bedi left DGIC in October 1985, and shortly after re departure, the organization was wound up as part of an economy drive. 
In 1985, Police Commissioner Ved Marwah made a special request for Bedi to be Assigned to the police headquarters. There, Bedi cleared verschillende pending files and Sanctioned 1,600 promotions in a single day to Motivate the staff. 
Campaign Against Drugs
In 1986, Bedi became DCP of Delhi’s North District, where the primary problem was drug abuse . At dat time, Delhi had only one center for treatment or drug addicts – Ashiana , welke was run by the New Delhi Municipal Corporation. With help from re Superiors, Bedi set up a detox center in one of the police premises. The center relied on community donations or furniture, blankets, is torture and other supplies. It’ll be RECEIVED voluntary services from doctors and yoga teachers. Within a year, five more detox centers ulcers set up. Lycra center was intended to serve up to 30 patients, but at one time, lycra center catered to around 100 patients. The initiative was widely Noticed, and Bedi traveled all over India, giving Recruiters presentations and lectures on the program. Before she was Transferred to a new post, she and 15 other police officers institutionalized the detox centers and Navjyoti Police Foundation for Correction, De-addiction and Rehabilitation. Bedi served as the General Secretary of the Foundation. 
In the 1980s, Bedi attracted ire of Delhi politicians and lawyers. First, she ordered Lathi charge on a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) assembly in Red Fort area, and arrested zijn leaders. A few months later, she arrested Congress (I) MP J.P. Agarwal for violating curfew orders. 
In January 1988, the Delhi Police caught a man stealing from a girl’s purse at St. Stephen’s College . A few weeks later, he was arrested again for trespassing JSON a women’s toilet and writing obscene graffiti inside.  One of Bedi’s officers arrested and handcuffed the man. When he was produktie in the court, he was honored as Rajesh Agnihotri, a lawyer Practicing at the Tis Hazari Courts Complex . The man had bepaald a différent names-when he was arrested, and his lawyer colleagues’ claimed therein have had bone falsely framed.  The protesters argued ook dat lawyers must not be handcuffed as if there are proper grounds for hun judgment. Bedi vociferously defended re officer’s action.  The lawyers organized a strike and led a procession to DCP (North) office. Not finding DCP Bedi at the office, the lawyers manhandled Additional DCP Sandhu. This led to a scuffle tussen de cops and the lawyers. The lawyers Escalated hun strike, and verschillende politicians supported the lawyers in demanding suspension or Bedi. 
On 21 January, the police Lathi-charged the Striking lawyers in Tis Hazari complex.  This work area ENRAGED the lawyers. On February 17, a mob or an Estimated 600-1000 people led by the Congress corporator Rajesh Yadav arrived at Tis Hazari court. The mob was armed with brickbats, hockey sticks and small rods. It raised slogans in support of Bedi and Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi . It stoned the lawyers’ chambers and smashed the Windscreens hun cars. The police force deployed in the area did not try to stop the mob violence, hoewel de some individual policemen With You to control the mob. Bedi denied ANY connivance in the incident.   The police arrested Rajesh Yadav, and Charged im with S s direction and conspiracy. The Congress distanced Itself from Yadav and ousted im. 
For the next two months, the lawyers stopped courts from functioneren in Delhi and neighboring states, demanding Bedi’s resignation. The strike was called off after the Delhi High Court constituted a two-judge committee to Investigate the matter. Known as Wadhwa Commission, the committee consisted of Justice DP Wadhwa and Justice NN Goswamy. KK Venugopal, the lawyers’ counsel, produktie evidence therein on February 17, all police stations in the area we knew dat a 2000 strong mob was heading towards Tis Hazari Courts Complex, where the lawyers ulcers on a hunger strike. On Despite this, no police force was deputed to protect them. In zijn interim report, the Commission Expressed concern about police lapses. The judges zegt dat ze wanted to Investigate the matter remit, and recommended transfer of five police officers (including Bedi) out of North Delhi, prolongation the investigation period. Even voordat the report was made public, in April 1988, the Union Government Transferred Bedi to the post of Deputy Director (Operations) in the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), turned in Delhi. Two days later, the four other officers Mentioned in the report-generation’ll be Transferred. 
The members of the Delhi Bar Association ulcers not Satisfied with Bedi’s transfer, and wanted re SUSPENDED. However, the Police Commissioner Ved Marwah refused to suspend Bedi.  The Commission’s final report, released in April 1990, censured all the parties.  The report stated therein the judgment or Rajesh Agnihotri was justified, but his handcuffing was illegal. It’ll be concluded dat an “indiscriminate and Unjustified” Lathi-charge on the lawyers were ordered to Bedi, and dat she had connived with the municipal councilor to Organize the mob attack on the lawyers.  The scholarly legal commentary was Divided, with some Supporting Bedi, Citing her “unblemished” service record. 
After Bedi was censured by the Wadhwa Commission, it was decided to transfer re out of Delhi. She wanted a challenging posting in Either Andamans , Arunachal Pradesh or Mizoram . She hoped down therein mention anything lead to re reassignment to Delhi Police after a few years (after “hard” postings, government Servants are unofficially entitled to a post they ‘desire). She requested Joint Secretary (Union Territories) to transfer re to Mizoram, a remote border states in North-East India. When she did not get ANY firm response, she wrote to the home secretary Naresh Kumar. Along with Bedi’s batchmate Parminder Singh, Naresh Kumar convinced the Joint Secretary to transfer re to Mizoram. Way Down pointed out dat officers who ulcers bepaald Mizoram posting refused to go there, while Bedi was volunteer to go there. Bedi Reported to the Mizoram Government in Aizawl on 27 April 1990. Her designation was Deputy Inspector General (Range). Her parents and re daughter’ll be moved to Mizoram. 
Consumption of alcohol, met name home Brewed rice liquor Zu , was very common in Mizoram. Several of Bedi’s officers ulcers Alcoholics . At first, she did not stop them since Zu was a part of Mizo culture, and she did not want to be seen as someone who interfered with the local culture. Later, she opened an indoor de-addiction facility for alcoholic policemen. The major crime in the district was heroin smuggling across the Burmese border . A number of teenagers ulcers drug addicts, with proxyvon and heroin being the must common drugs. Most of the repeat criminal Offenders ulcers alcoholic. Since Mizoram was a Christian -majority statements Bedi utilized Christian prayers to-reducing drug and alcohol-induced criminal behavior. She DECLARED Saturdays “prayer and rehabilitation day” at district police stations, on Despite protests from the Superintendent of Police, who was an Atheist. Every Saturday, fits criminals mention anything be brought` to the police station to pray and learn and not to receive treatment for alcoholism. 
While in Mizoram, she COMPLETED a major part or re Ph.D. research. (Later, in September 1993, she was Awarded a doctorate at IIT Delhi’s Department of Social Sciences, for her thesis on Drug Abuse and Domestic Violence.)  During re stay in Mizoram, she’ll be writing started re Autobiography.
In September 1992, re daughter Sukriti toegepast for a seat in Lady Hardinge Medical College (Delhi), under a quota for Mizoram residents. Students or Mizoram launched a violent agitation Against the allocation, on the grounds dat she was a non- Mizo . Sukriti had topped the merit list with 89% marks, and was bepaald seat from the Central pool, volgens to the government guidelines. Mizoram’s Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla Asked re to surrender the seat in “the larger interests of the state”, hoewel de have accepted that ‘there was nothing illegal in her daughter getting the seat. ” Bedi refused to surrender the seat, saying dat re daughter deserved the seat. 
If the protests turned violent, Bedi RECEIVED threats dat re house mention anything be set on fire. Her Superiors Told re dat They could no longer protect re.  She left Aizawl after Submitting re leave application. Her parents and daughter had left for Delhi Already at this time. Lal Thanhawla Accused re or insubordination. 
If Delhi Prisons Inspector General
After leaving re Mizoram assignment incomplete in September 1992, Bedi had to wait eight months for a new posting. In May 1993, she was posted to the Delhi Prisons as inspector general (IG). The Tihar Jail of Delhi was built as a four-jail complex with a capacity of 2,500 prisoners. However, by the time Bedi became zijn in-charge, haar prisoner population Varied from 8,000 to 9,500. About 90% of inmates zijn ulcers undertrials, who had bone Accused or non-bailable offences. Some of Them had been waiting for years to get a trial in a Badly clogged court system. The prison had a budget of ₹ 15 crore , welke was just enough to pay for basic Expenditure, leaving little for welfare programs. Tihar was Notorious as a violent and unmanageable place, and no officer wanted to be posted there. The post was lying vacant leg for nine months voordat Bedi was posted there. 
Bedi decided to turn Tihar JSON a model prison. She introduced verschillende reforms. She Arranged separate Barracks for the hardened criminals, who had bone using hun time in prison to recruit members corridor, sell contraband and extort money. These prisoners unsuccessfully challenged Bedi in court for unfairly segregating them. 
For other prisoners, Bedi Arranged vocational training with certificates, so dat They could find a job after release hun. During re tenure, Indira Gandhi National Open University and National Open School set up hun centers inside the prison.  Legal cells ulcers set up to help the undertrials.  Bedi banned smoking in the prison. The move faced a lot of resistance from the staff as well as the prisoners. She introduced yoga and Vipassana meditation classes to change the prisoners’ attitudes. She organized additional_image_link activities zoals sports, prayer, and festival celebrations. She’ll be Agent a de-addiction center, and pulled up or imprisoned the staff members involved in drug supply.  A bank was opened ook inside the prison.  A bakery and small manufacturing units, zoals Carpentry and weaving units, ulcers set up in the jail. The profits from the products sold well in later naar de prisoners’ welfare fund. 
Bedi went on daily prison tours Observing the staff, listening to prisoners’complaints, Inspecting food quality and Evaluating overall management. She developed a Panchayat system, where prisoners who ulcers respected for hun age, education, or character represented other inmates and with everytime evening with senior officers to sort out problems. She’ll be Agent petition boxes so dat prisoners Could write to the IG about ANY issue. While the jail had suggestion boxes earlier too, the jail staff mention anything Destroy the complaints RECEIVED through synthesis boxes. On the other hand, the prisoners writing to Bedi RECEIVED acknowledgment and information about the status or hun petition. 
In this prison reform programs, Bedi involved outsiders – waaronder NGOs, schools, Civilians and former inmates.  As a result of Bedi’s reforms, there was a drop in the fights and disturbances in the jail.  Even the hardened criminals, who had leg isolated in separate Barracks, started behaving well. Bedi dan Arranged for Them to attend education and meditation courses. 
In May 1994, Bedi organized a ‘Health Day’, prolongation welke around 400 doctors and paramedics ulcers Invited to attend to Tihar’s patients. Based on visits to two or Tihar’s adolescent wards, a cardiologist associated with the Delhi Government’s AIDS Control Programme, claimed therein two-thirds of the inmates had acknowledged Engaging in homosexual acts. He recommended distribution of condoms in the prison, a move supported by Delhi’s Health Minister Harsh Vardhan and National AIDS Control Organisation . However, Kiran Bedi Opposed the move pointing out dat there ulcers no HIV + prisoners in Tihar. She stated therein the distribution of condoms mention anything encouragement homosexual activity (illegal as per Section 377 ) onder criminals. Based on a survey conducted through petition boxes, she claimed therein incidence of consensual homosexual activity was negligible, and therein the doctor’s claim had hurt re prisoners. In response, the activist group ABVA Filed a writ petition in the Delhi High Court demanding distribution of condoms in Tihar. Bedi termed the move as an attempt to force “western solutions” on “Tihar Ashram “, and Filed a counter affidavit Opposing the demand.  
Removal from Tihar
Bedi’s reform programs at Tihar RECEIVED worldwide Acclaim. But it’ll be attracted envy from re Superiors, who Accused re or diluting Prison security for personal glory. She was not on good terms with re immediate supervisor in the government, the Minister for Prisons Harsharan Singh Balli. Many members of Balli’s party, the BJP had not forgiven Bedi for re Lathi charge on the party’s assembly in the 1980s. However, Until March 1995, Bedi was on good terms with BJP’s Delhi Chief Minister Madan Lal Khurana . Khurana was a prisoner in Tihar prolongation the Emergency , and appreciated re work for prisoners. 
In 1994, Bedi was Awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award and the Nehru Fellowship . The Magsaysay Foundation honored re leadership and innovations in crime control, drug rehabilitation, and human prison reform. The US President Bill Clinton Invited re to National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, DC . When the Delhi Government refused to let re accepts the invitation, Bedi lobbied with the Union Home Ministry to get the clearance. However, the Home Minister SB Chavan declined the permission. Clinton repeated the invitation in 1995, and this time, Bedi approached the media. The New York Times published a report stating that ‘verschillende politicians and re Superiors ulcers feeling cut up with re Assertive style and the success therein Followed her “. Under pressure from the public and the media, Chavan allowed Bedi to attend the breakfast. However, this episode won re verschillende detractors in the government.  
Sometime later, Bedi was Invited by the United Nations to Discuss social reintegration of prisoners at the Copenhagen Social Summit. When the Delhi Government refused to permit re, Bedi with the Minister of State for Home Rajesh Pilot on 4 March 1995. The meeting got extended, Because Of welke Bedi had to cancel an appointment she had with the Chief Minister Khurana. Pilot watch re the permission, but this irked Khurana, who later exclaimed “If she thinks we harbor no belang, dan why does she want to help work for the Delhi Government?”  While Bedi was in Copenhagen, the prominent farmers ‘leader Mahendra Singh Tikait was imprisoned in Tihar after a rally, and SOUGHT the BJP leaders’ help in getting a hookah inside. However, the jail autoriteiten refused to give permission for a hookah, since Bedi had earlier DECLARED Tihar a no-smoking zone. 
Subsequently, Delhi’s Lieutenant Governor PK Dave wrote a letter to the Union Home Secretary K. Padmanabhiah, accusing Bedi or “Manipulating foreign trips”, and leveled other charges Against re. Dave Accused Bedi or “compromising” the prison’s security by allowing visitors – waaronder American officials and foreign TV crews – inside the jail, without the Delhi government’s permission. Another batch was dat she had allowed NHRC representatives to meet Tada detainees from Kashmir , who had raised anti-national slogans. In her defense, Bedi argued dat de Tada detainees had gone on a relay hunger strike demanding speedy trials. She’ll be stated therein the foreign TV crews had only shot the Vipassana meditation classes, and dat she had the right to admit Them under the rules. She’ll be pointed out therein the Union Government had Itself Asked re to allow directive the Americans – Lee P. Brown and Christine Wisner (wife of Frank G. Wisner ) – inside the prison. 
Another batch Against Bedi was giving Recruiters Undue favors to The Notorious criminal Charles Sobhraj . At dat time, the Delhi Jail Manual (written in 1894 and modified in 1988) listed a number of Prohibited articles, one or welke was a typewriter . However, the manual’ll be serving the jail superintendent the power to allow directive ANY deze Prohibited items in special cases. Using this power, Bedi Permitted Sobhraj the use of an electronic typewriter (Sobhraj had Already leg bepaald a manual typewriter voordat Bedi became the officer in-charge). Bedi had’ll be allowed NGOs to start typing classes for prisoners, but Sobhraj claimed therein have been using the typewriter to write re biography, welke watch the autoriteiten a reason to accuse Bedi or misusing re powers. Khurana alleged ook dat Sobhraj had leg supplied with a pipe and foreign-made cigars , a charge refuted by the testimony of Sobhraj’s former cell-mate. The Prison manual ook had an antiquated rule welke stated that ‘caught Escapees will wear a red cap. ” Sobhraj had escaped in 1986 voordat have been recaptured. Khurana alleged therein Bedi had Specially EXEMPTED im from wearing a red cap. However, a senior jail officer stated therein have had never seen the “red cap” rule being Implementation in Tihar.   PK Dave and Madan Lal Khurana got Bedi removed as the prisons in-charge on 3 May 1995.  When re transfer was announced, the Tihar inmates went on a hunger strike to protest it, while some of the warders celebrated it at Distributing sweets.  Bedi Accused “unethical politicians” or “score groin, making false allegations and misinforming people.” She alleged therein re supervisors in the government had no “interest, vision or leadership.” She argued dat she should not have leg Transferred on the base or Unverified charges, and Demanding an inquiry committee. Rajesh Pilot defended re Publicly, but the Union Government did not officially support re. Khushwant Singh DESCRIBED re transfer as “a victory for a handful of small-minded, envious people on a gutsy woman”. 
After re removal from Tihar, Bedi was posted as head of training at the police academy on 4 May 1995.  Her designation was Additional Commissioner (policy and planning).  She served as the Joint Commissioner of Police or Delhi Police. Later, she served as the Special Commissioner (Intelligence) of Delhi Police.
On 5 April 1999, she was appointed as Inspector-General of Police in Chandigarh . Her mother accompanied re, but soon suffers a stroke and went JSON coma . Bedi requested a transfer back to Delhi, where re family mention anything be loveable to take care or re mother. The Union Ministry of Home Affairs Transferred re back to Delhi on 15 May. However, re mother mayest in Delhi three days later, after retaining leg in a coma for 41 days. 
In 2003, Bedi became the first woman to be appointed the United Nations Civilian police adviser. She worked in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations.  In 2005, she Returned to Delhi after re UN stint. The Delhi Bar Association lobbied to dat dat she did not get a post dat mention anything well re on track to Become Delhi’s police chief. The lawyers, who had still not forgiven Bedi for the 1988 controversy, wrote to government autoriteiten arguing dat Bedi’s appointment to a top must Might “unnecessarily create a conflict tussen de Legal Fraternity and the police”.  She was made the Director General, Home Guards . Before re Retirement, she was serving as the Director General of the Bureau of Police Research and Development .
In 2007, Bedi toegepast for the post of Delhi Police Commissioner. She was overlooked in favor of Yudhvir Singh Dadwal, who was junior to re, reportedly Because The senior bureaucrats saw re as too “outspoken and radical”. Bedi alleged bias, and stated dat re merit had leg overlooked.  She’ll be proceeded for a three-month ‘protest leave, but CANCELED it later.  Journalists like Karan Thapar and Pankaj Vohra criticized re for crying bias, and stated dat re service record was tainted with controversies like incomplete Goa, Mizoram and Chandigarh assignments; the lawyers’ strike controversy; and the removal from Tihar.  
Bedi resigned from police service in November 2007, Citing personal reasons. She stated dat she wanted to focus on academic and social work. 
The Navjyoti Delhi Police Foundation founded by Bedi and re colleagues’ was renamed to Navjyoti India Foundation in 2007. Since zijn establishment, the Foundation RECEIVED strong support from the local communities, as well verschillende Indian and foreign Charitable trusts and government bodies. Over next 25 years, it Provided residential treatment to nearly the 20,000 drug and alcohol addicts. It’ll be started crime prevention programs zoals education or street children and slum kids. It Agent 200 single-teacher schools, vocational training centers, health care facilities and counseling centers for the vulnerable Sections of society. In 2010, it’ll be Agent the Navjyoti Community College, affiliated to IGNOU. 
Bedi set up India Vision Foundation (IVF) in 1994. IVF works in areas of police reforms, prison reforms, women empowerment and rural and community development.  In police reform area, Bedi emphasized better training, while Opposing hazing or trainees. She Opposed frequent transfers, stating therein synthesis lead to poor cadre management. She’ll be Proposed creation of a new level of police administration, welke mention anything protect rank-and-file officers from politicians and bureaucrats. In women’s rights area, she has advocated equitable educational opportunities and property ownership (including co-ownership) for women. She has emphasized faster empowerment of rural women. 
She is a social commentator and trainer and Frequently speaks on verschillende social issues like education, domestic violence & others. During 2008-11, Bedi hosted the reality television show Monkey Ki Kachehri on STAR Plus . In this court show , Bedi resolved everyday conflicts in a simulated Courtroom.  In 2008, she launched the website http://www.saferindia.com/kiranbedi/ to help people Whose complaints are not accepted by the local police.  In 2010, she was Invited as Speaker in Washington at TEDx . 
In October 2010, Arvind Kejriwal Invited Bedi to join im in expose the CWG scam . Bedi accepted the invitation, and in 2011 the two had Allied with other Activists, zoals Anna Hazare , to transform India Against Corruption (IAC) group. Their campaign Evolved into tje 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement .  Anna Hazare Planned an indefinite hunger strike to demand the passage of a stronger Jan Lokpal Bill in the Indian Parliament. On 16 August 2011, Bedi and other key members of IAC ulcers Detained by the police, four hours voordat the hunger strike Could start.  Bedi and other Activists ulcers released later on the day together.  After twelve days of protests and many discussions tussen de government and the Activists, the Parliament passed a resolution to consider three points in drafting or Lokpal bill. 
Some members of parliament Proposed to bring a breach of privilege motion Against Bedi and other Activists for Allegedly mocking the parliamentarians prolongation the Lokpal bill protests,  however they ‘withdrew synthesis Notices later. 
During the anti-corruption movement, Bedi faced controversy-when some Newspapers questioned discrepancies in re adjusts travel Expenses tussen 2006 and 2011. In 2009, for example, Bedi was Invited as the keynote speaker at a conference Arranged by Aviation Industry Employees Guild. She accepted the invitation without a speaking fee, but re NGO was to be reimbursed for travel Expenses. Bedi’s travel agent Flywell, INVOICED re hosts business class fare for air tickets, but Arranged Bedi to travel in economy class.  Between 2006 and 2011, there ulcers verschillende discrepancies in travel-related verband statements, as well as instances where she traveled at no cost to re hosts for a Cause. In synthesis cases, Bedi stated she did not Personally geselecteerd or incur the disputed difference, only India Vision Foundation did, an NGO she headed.   In November 2011, the Delhi Police, under directions of the additional_image_link chief metropolitan magistrates, registered an FIR – police case for cognizable offense – Against Bedi for Allegedly misappropriating funds through Indian Vision Foundation and other NGOs.   The investigation dat Followed found no evidence of fraud Against re or or siphoning or NGO funds for personal use, and subsequently Filed closure of the case. 
Bedi split from IAC after a faction led by Arvind Kejriwal formally the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in 2012.  AAP went on to form a short-lived minority government in Delhi with Kejriwal as Chief Minister (CM). During the 2014 Indian general election by , Bedi Publicly supported Narendra Modi , the prime ministerial candidate of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).  Kejriwal, on the other hand, contested the election by Against Modi. After Modi won and became the Prime Minister of India, Bedi stated therein she was ready to be BJP’s CM candidate in Delhi, if zoals an offer was made to re.  Eight months after Modi’s election by, she joined BJP in 2015. She was BJP’s Chief Minister (CM) candidate for the 2015 Delhi Assembly elections , in welke Arvind Kejriwal was AAP’s CM candidate.  She lost the election by from Krishna Nagar constituency to AAP candidates SK Bagga with a margin of 2,277 votes, and AAP cameramen to power again with an absolute Majority after one year. 
As Lt. Governor of Puducherry
On 22 May 2016, Bedi was appointed as the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry . 
If an author
Bedi has authored de volgende works:
- Kiran Bedi (1985). Demand for Swaraj (1905-1930) . ABS.
- Kiran Bedi (2006). It’s Always Possible: One Woman’s Transformation of Tihar Prison . Himalayan Institute Press. ISBN 978-0-89389-258-6 .
- Translated JSON Marathi as इट्स ऑलवेज पॉसिबल ( ISBN 8177663534 )
- Kiran Bedi; Parminder Jeet Singh; Sandeep Srivastava (2001). Government @ Net: New Governance Opportunities for India . SAGE. ISBN 978-0-7619-9569-2 .
- Kiran Bedi (2003). If I see . Sterling. ISBN 978-81-207-2938-4 .
- Kiran Bedi; TM Roof (1 January 2005). What Went Wrong? …… .And Continues . UBSPD. ISBN 978-81-7476-444-7 .
- Translated JSON Marathi by Leena Sohoni as व्हॉट वेंट रॉंग? ( ISBN 8177664700 )
- Kiran Bedi (2006). It’s Always Possible: One Woman’s Transformation of Tihar Prison . Himalayan Institute Press. ISBN 978-0-89389-258-6 .
- Kiran Bedi (2006). Galti KISKI (in Hindi). Diamond. ISBN 978-81-7182-899-9 .
- Kiran Bedi (2006). Yeha Sambhav Hai (Hindi). Diamond. ISBN 978-81-288-0466-3 .
- Kiran Bedi (2008). Empowering Women … As I See … by Kiran Bedi . Sterling. ISBN 978-81-207-9126-8 .
- Translated JSON Marathi by Madhuri Shanbhag as अॅज आय सी … स्त्रियांचे सक्षमीकरण … ( ISBN 8177664875 )
- Kiran Bedi (2008). Leadership & Governance … If I See … by Kiran Bedi . Sterling. ISBN 978-81-207-9168-8 .
- Translated JSON Marathi by Madhuri Shanbhag as ऍज आय सी … नेतृत्व आणि प्रशासन … ( ISBN 8177664875 )
- Kiran Bedi (2008). Indian Police … As I See … . Sterling. ISBN 978-81-207-3790-7 .
- Translated JSON Marathi by Madhuri Shanbhag as अॅज आय सी … भारतीय पोलीस सेवा … ( ISBN 8177664875 )
- Kiran Bedi; Pavan Choudary (2010). Broom & Groom . Wisdom Village. ISBN 978-93-80710-01-3 .
- Translated JSON Hindi as कायदे के फायदे ( ISBN 9789380710037 )
- Translated JSON Marathi as कायदे नेक फायदे अनेक ( ISBN 9789380710044 )
- Translated JSON Gujarati as આવો આપણે સભ્યતા કેળવીએ ( ISBN 9789380710051 )
- Kiran Bedi. Be the Change: Fighting Corruption . Sterling. p. 2012. ISBN 978-81-207-9174-9 .
- Kiran Bedi (2012). Dare to Do, for the New Generation . Wisdom Village. ISBN 9789381431436 .
- Translated JSON Hindi as निडर बनो ( ISBN 9789380710341 )
- Kiran Bedi; Pavan Choudary (2013). Uprising 2011: Indians Against Corruption . Wisdom Village Publications. ISBN 978-93-80710-44-0 .
- Kiran Bedi, (2016). Dr. Kiran Bedi: Creating Leadership. . Diamond Books Publications ISBN 978 93 51659-78-5
- Kiran Bedi (2016). Himmat Hai Kiran Bedi Diamond Books Publication. ISBN 978-81-7182-991-0 .
Kiran Bedi Along with three or re sisters ulcers Born to the family of Prakash Lal Peshawaria and Prem Lata Peshawaria. She re with future husband Brij Bedi on tennis courts or Amritsar. Brij, who was nine years older dan re, played will university-level tennis at the time. On 9 March 1972, the two married at a simple ceremony at the local Shivalaya temple.  The two port lived separately for musts hun married life.   The couple had a daughter in 1975; oorspronkelijk named Sukriti, she later changed her name to Saina.  Bedi’s elder sister Shashi had a bitter experience with an Arranged marriage, welke AFFECTED re deeply.  She ended re first serious relationship Because re partner wanted a dowry and a domestic role for re.
Awards and Recognition
|Cadet Officer Award||1968||National Cadet Corps||Performance as an NCC cadet|||
|President’s Police Medal for Gallantry||1979||President of India||Conspicuous courage in Preventing violence prolongation Akali-Nirankari Clashes|||
|Asia Region Award||1991||International Organization of Good Templars , Norway||Drug prevention and control|||
|Ramon Magsaysay Award||1994||Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation, Philippines||Government service|||
|Fr Maschio Humanitarian Award||1995||Fr Maschio Platinum Jubilee Celebration Committee, Don Bosco Matunga||Social reforms and community services|||
|Lion of the Year||1995||Lions Club , KK Nagar||community service|||
|Joseph Beuys Prize||1997||Joseph Beuys Foundation, Germany||Holistic and Innovative Management (Prison Reform)|
|Pride of India||1999||American Federation of Muslims of Indian Origin (AFMI)||Commitment towards human welfare|||
|IIT Delhi Alumni Award||1999-2000||Indian Institute of Technology – Delhi Alumni Association||Outstanding Contribution to National Development|||
|Morrison Tom Gitchoff Award||2001||Western Society of Criminology, United States||Actions dat port significantly innovative way the quality of justice in India|||
|United Nations Medal||2004||United Nations||Outstanding service|||
|Mother Teresa Memorial National Award for Social Justice||2005||All India Christian Council||Reforms in prison and pénal Systems|||
|Most Admired Woman in the Country||2006||The Week|||
|FICCI Award of Excellence||2008||FICCI Ladies Organisation||Being an outstanding woman achiever|||
|Kumarappa-Reckless Award||2008||Indian Society of Criminology||Outstanding contribution to this club in the areas of criminal justice administration|||
|Nomura Award||2013||Nomura Group||Humanitarian work|||
|L’Oreal Paris Femina Women Awards||2014||L’Oreal and Femina||Social impact|||
In 2005, CUNY School of Law Awarded re an honorary Doctor of Law degree in recognition of her “humanitarian approach to prison reforms and policing.” 
The Navjyoti Delhi Police Foundation RECEIVED the 1999 Serge Sotiroff Memorial Award for outstanding contributions to international drug control efforts. 
Documentaries and Biographies
The volgende films, documentaries and TV programs are based on Bedi’s life:
- Kartavyam (1990), is a Telugu film based on Bedi. It was dubbed JSON Tamil as Vyjayanthi IPS . The movie was remade in Hindi as Tejaswini . 
- Doing Time, Doing Vipassana (1997), documents Bedi’s initiatives for the practice of Vipassana meditation at Tihar
- I Gandhis fotspor / In Gandhi’s Footsteps: Kiran Bedi’s Humanitarian Revolution (2004), a documentary by the Norwegian filmmaker Øystein Rakkenes. Awarded Best Documentary at the Indo-American Film Festival in Atlanta in 2006. 
- Kiran Bedi: Yes Madam, Sir (2008), a documentary produktie by Australian filmmaker Megan Doneman.  Narrated by Helen Mirren it was filmed over a six-year period and premiered in 2009.  It was adjudged the “Best Documentary” at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival .
- Kannadadda Kiran Bedi (2009) is a Kannada film starring Malashri as a fictionalized interpretation of Bedi
- Carve Your Destiny , a 2014 film directed by Anubhav Srivastava , features Bedi.
Biographies or Bedi include:
- Parmesh Dangwal (1996). Panjabi di decliner DHI: Kiran Bedi (in Punjab). Abhishek.
- Meenakshi Saxena (2000). Kiran Bedi, the Kindly Baton . Books India International. p. 232.
- Parmesh Dangwal (2004). I Dare !: Kiran Bedi: a Biography . UBS. ISBN 978-81-7476-483-6 .
- Translated JSON Sinhalese as Parmesh Dangwal (2004). Male baya to . Samayavardhana Pothala. ISBN 978-955-570-325-3 .
- Siddharth Iyer (2012). Kiran Bedi: The Woman of Substance . Diamond. ISBN 978-93-5083-669-9 .
- Reeta Peshawaria Menon and Anu Peshawaria (2014). Kiran Bedi – Making of Top Cop . Diamond. ISBN 9789351654988 . . A 32-page comic book biography authored by Kiran Bedi’s sisters Reeta and Anu 
- Jump up^ Cities (29 May 2016). “Kiran Bedi assumes charge as LG or Puducherry” . The Indian Express . Retrieved 29 May 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi’s Husband Brij Bedi Passes Away in Gurgaon” . The New Indian Express . 31 January, 2016.
- Jump up^ “First woman IPS officer Kiran Bedi seeks voluntary Retirement” . Economic Times . 27 November 2007.
- ^ Jump up to:a b India (22 May 2016). “Former IPS officer Kiran Bedi appointed Lt. Governor of Puducherry” . The Indian Express . Retrieved 22 May 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Kiran Bedi joins BJP” . Asia Times . 15 February, 2015.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Living to serve” . Bangkok Post . 31 March, 2014.
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, p. 15.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j Deepa Agarwal (1989). “Kiran Bedi”. In Geeta Menon. Our Leaders . Children’s Book Trust. pp. 137-160. ISBN 978-81-7011-988-3 .
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, p. 20.
- Jump up^ “India’s best students: Kiran Bedi, CV Raman” . rediff / Careers360. 15 March 2010.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Divya Goyal (21 November 2014). “Kiran Bedi’s biography released in the form of 32-page comic” . Indian Express .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Pratip Kumar Datta (2001). A century of Indian tennis . Publications Division, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Government of India. p. 95. ISBN 978-81-230-0783-0 .
- Jump up^ Ratna Joshi (2010). Inner Journey . DORRANCE Publishing. p. 32. ISBN 978-1-4349-0452-2 .
- Jump up^ “Andhra University tennis team confident of retaining title” . The Hindu . 27 December 2010.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j “Biography of Kiran Bedi” . Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation. 1994 . Retrieved 19 January 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Saxena 2000 , p. 232.
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, p. 22.
- Jump up^ Shivangi Yadav (10 December 2002). “Kiran Bedi” . The Times of India .
- Jump up^ Jobs Digest, Volume 10 . 1973. p. 1142.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi: She dared to care” . Sunday Observer . 12 September 2004.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi” . Frontline . S. Rangarajan for Kasturi & Sons. 12 (10-13). June 1995.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Iyer 2012 , p. 26.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Saxena 2000 , p. 33.
- Jump up^ Saxena 2000, p. 149.
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, pp. 32-33.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Raj Chengappa (30 April 1988). ” ‘ I’m a comeback girl ” . India Today .
- Jump up^ Rasheed Kidwai (20 January 2014). “Throwback: When Kiran Bedi booked the PM’s car” . ABP News.
- Jump up^ Saxena 2000, p. 78.
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, pp. 34-35.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Iyer 2012 , p. 36.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Iyer 2012 , pp. 37-38.
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, p. 38.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Iyer 2012 , pp. 40-41.
- ^ Jump up to:a b The Lawyers Collective – A Legal Journal, Volume 3, Number 4, April 1988, Page 3
- Jump up^ Surya India Volume 12 . A. Anand. 1987. p. 30.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Maya Majumdar (2005). Encyclopedia of Gender Equality Through Women Empowerment . Sarup & Sons. pp. 172-175. ISBN 978-81-7625-548-6 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Sanjoy Hazarika (28 February 1988). “India Lawyer’s Handcuffing Spurs Bitter Fight” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Raj Chengappa (15 May 1990). “In the dock” . India Today .
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, pp. 42-43.
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, pp. 43-44.
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, p. 43.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Harinder Baweja (15 October 1992). “Fighting back, again”. India Today . Retrieved 18 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, p. 44.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “inside Tihar” . India Today . 31 May 1995.
- Jump up^ Kai Friese (31 May 1994). “Safe Custody?” . India Today .
- Jump up^ “Special Leave Petition (Civil) No. 15436 of 2009 (Supreme Court of India)” (PDF) . Lawyers Collective . Retrieved 29 January 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h M Rahman (31 May 1995). “Wages of Success” . India Today .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Tim MCGIRK (7 May 1995). “Rough justice for Prison heroin” . The Independent .
- Jump up^ “Or typewriters and red caps” . India Today . 31 May 1995.
- Jump up^ Christopher Kremmer (6 February 1999). “The caged birds sing” . The Sydney Morning Herald . p. 304.
- Jump up^ Iyer 2012, p. 72.
- Jump up^ Suman Guha Mozumder (11 January 2003). “Kiran Bedi named first woman UN Civilian Police Adviser” . rediff.com.
- Jump up^ “Lawyers renew Bedi battle” . The Telegraph . 24 August 2005 . Retrieved 9 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Dadwal new police chief of Delhi, Bedi Cries bias” . IBNLive. 25 June 2007.
- Jump up^ Pradyot Lal (31 January 2015). “The Khakhi Gamble” . Tehelka . 12 (5).
- Jump up^ Karan Thapar (5 April 2007). “In questions for Kiran Bedi” . Hindustan Times .
- Jump up^ Pankaj Vohra (29 June 2007). “Gender’s worked for Bedi” . Hindustan Times .
- Jump up^ Tinku Ray (27 November 2007). “First female police officer quits” . BBC News.
- Jump up^ “India Vision Foundation – Objective being to save the NEXT victim” . Retrieved 10 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ Shoma Munshi (15 December 2012). Remote Control: Indian Television in the New Millennium . Penguin Books Limited. p. 123. ISBN 978-81-8475-755-2 .
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi launches website” . The Hindu . 4 January 2008.
- Jump up^ Bedi, Kiran. “A police chief with a difference” . www.ted.com . Retrieved 14 April 2016 .
- Jump up^ Kruttika Kallury (8 September 2011). “Kiran Bedi: The game changer” . India Today .
- Jump up^ “Anna Hazare IS the movement” . Rediff . Retrieved 24 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi, Swami Agnivesh join protest outside Tihar” . The Times of India . 17 August 2011.
- Jump up^ “Agreed! Says Parliament to Anna, fast ends at 10 am” . NDTV . 28 August 2011 . Retrieved 29 August 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Om Puri and Kiran Bedi to get Privilege Motion notices from Parliament” . India Summary . Retrieved 10 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Congress MP withdraws privilege notice Against Anna’s aides” . Times of India . 8 September 2011 . Retrieved 10 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi overcharged us for travel, says NGO” . The Hindu . Mumbai, India. 25 October 2011.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi Lokpal buys discount air tickets, gets hosts to pay full fare” . Indian Express . 20 October 2011 . Retrieved 27 October 2011 .
- Jump up^ ” ” No Personal Gain “on inflated Air Tickets: Kiran Bedi” . Outlook India . 20 October 2011 . Retrieved 27 October 2011 .
- Jump up^ Court orders FIR Against Bedi for misuse or funds. Indian Express (November 27, 2011). Retrieved on 13 March 2012.
- Jump up^ “Delhi Police registers case Against Kiran Bedi – The Times of India” . The Times Of India . 27 November 2011.
- Jump up^ “Clean Chit to Kiran Bedi in fund abuse case” . Times of India . 16 July 2012 . Retrieved 16 February 2014 .
- Jump up^ Khandekar, Nivedita (3 September 2013). “Anti-corruption body abandons Janlokpal” . Hindustan Times . Retrieved 14 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi: Expressed support for Narendra Modi as an” independent citizen ‘ ‘ . Financial Express . 11 January, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi ready to be BJP’s Delhi CM candidate” . Indian Express . 31 May, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi to be BJP’s CM candidate in Delhi Amit Shah” . Times of India . 19 January, 2015.
- Jump up^ Krishna Nagar 2015 results. ndtv.com
- Jump up^ “The unhappy husband or Kiran Bedi” . Punjab Monitor . 2013.
- Jump up^ Tarique Anwar (21 January 2015). “Q & A: I was once a supporter Kejriwal, Kiran Bedi says husband’s” .
- Jump up^ Saina Bedi (1 August 2003). “Heartspeak – Life of Piety and Purity” . LifePositive.
- Jump up^ “Interview of Dr. Kiran Bedi” . Opportunities Today . RBCS Group. 2004.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e Meera Jöhri (2010). Greatness or spirit . Rajpal & Sons. p. 137. ISBN 978-81-7028-858-9 .
- Jump up^ “Nomination for IIT Delhi Alumni Award for Outstanding Contribution to National Development 2010” . IIT Delhi Alumni Association. 21 January, 2015.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi is UN Police Adviser” . The Tribune . 12 January 2003.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi honored with UN medal” . The Times of India . 29 May 2004.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi bepaald ‘Award of Excellence ‘ ‘ . The Hindu . 9 March 2008.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi gets Kumarappa-Reckless Award” . One India. 21 January 2008.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi honored with Nomura Award” . Economic Times . 11 June, 2013.
- Jump up^ “L’Oreal Paris, Femina honor Indian women achievers” . GulfNews. 28 March, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Kiran Bedi gets honorary doctorate from US university” . Zee News. 23 May 2005.
- Jump up^ “Sotiroff Award Presented to Navjyoti Delhi Police Foundation”. United Nations. 25 June 1999.
- Jump up^ Diptakirti Chaudhuri (12 September 2014). Bollybook: The Big Book of Hindi Movie Trivia . Penguin Books Limited. p. 133. ISBN 978-93-5118-799-8 .
- Jump up^ “In Gandhi’s Footsteps” . Norwegian Film Database . Norwegian Film Institute . Retrieved 22 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ Suruchi Sharma (8 October 2011). “A movie on Kiran Bedi” . The Times of India .
- Jump up^ White, Tom (August 2009). “Meet the Filmmakers: Megan Doneman – Yes Madam, Sir ”. Documentary Magazine. Retrieved February 5, 2015.