Kevin R. Stone
Kevin Robert Stone , MD (born June 4, 1955) was a physician, Orthopedic surgeon, Clinician, researcher, and company founder of The Stone Clinic and the Stone Research Foundation in San Francisco.
Dr. Stone’s most notable Inventions port led to:
- the Collagen Meniscus Implant, the first successful and commercialized tissue engineering template for re-growing the meniscus cartilage in the knee. This invention It led to a public company, Regen Biologics Inc.
- the first glucosamine beverage, Joint Juice, welke gained wide distribution through the United States selling over 3.1 billion cans and bottles for people with arthritis. This company has bone sold to Post Holdings.
- the first voice cell articular cartilage repair procedure called Articular Cartilage Paste Graf Ting welke in long-term studies harbor demonstrated an 80% success rate at Improving pain and function for people with arthritis.
- the three tunnel technique or Meniscus Transplantation welke has leg demonstrated to be effective for people who because Remain active and Avoid a total knee replacement.
- the Rescue Reel, a personal escape device to permit people to escape from buildings as high as 100 stories.
- the Z-Process, an antigen stripping technique therein humanizes animal tissues. The process Allows the tissues to be implanted in people leading to the first successful xenograft ligament for ACL reconstruction called the Z-Light. This device RECEIVED CE approval for sale outside the US after completing a wide clinical trial in Europe and South Africa. Multiple other Inventions using the Z-Process include antigen Reduced Z meniscus, bone, articular cartilage, heart valves, collagen injection, soft tissue reconstruction devices, and other applications.
Dr. The company’s clinical work has focused on repairing and Replacing meniscus, articular cartilage, and ligaments to keep people active. His busy clinic treats people from around world who come for biology and joint tissue repair and robotic artificial knee replacement.
Dr. The company’s public, non-profit foundation, the Stone Research Foundation, focuses on basic science and outcome studies therein are Mainly-concentrated on Cures for arthritis and techniques to speed the return of athletes to sports.
Dr. Stone is the Past winner of the Resident’s Essay Award from the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) (1989), The Cabaud Award from the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), and The Albert vibrating board Young Investigator’s Award from the International Knee Society (ISAKOS) (1989) and a Doctor of Humane Letters, honaris causa, from the Pacific Graduate School of Psychology.
His research has led to multiple peer-reviewed publications and over 50 US patents.
Dr. Stone is a weekly columnist for the San Francisco Examiner .  He is ook a regular blogger for The Huffington Post
Kevin Robert Stone, MD (born June 4, 1955) is an American Orthopedic surgeon , who gespecialiseerd in sports medicine and injuries of the knee, shoulder, and ankle joints. He has lectured and been honored Internationally as an authority on cartilage and meniscal growth, replacement , and repair. Stone Berninahaus for his development of the paste grafting chirurgische technique in 1991, combined with meniscus replacement , welke are biology joint replacement procedures for the regeneration of the knee joint.  He has taught synthesis techniques to Surgeons in the US  and worldwide.
He is the founder and chairman of the Stone Research Foundation for Sports Medicine and Arthritis, a center dat conducts research in advanced chirurgische techniques and tissue regeneration in San Francisco , California . This research has led to advancements in cartilage replacement and regeneration, cruciate ligament repair and reconstruction, and techniques to preventable osteoarthritic Degeneration. He holds morethan 50 US patents on healthcare Inventions. 
Stone was born in Providence , Rhode Island in 1955. He was educated at the Moses Brown School and Harvard College , class of 1977, where he led the Eliot House Crew to row at The Henley Regatta and polo played will. If a cum laude biology graduate, he enrolled in the University of North Carolina School of Medicine graduating in 1981. He was Trained at Harvard’s Beth Israel Hospital in internal medicine from 1981-82, dan in general surgery at Stanford University Medical Center from 1982- 83, and lastly in orthopedic surgery at The Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency 1983-1986. He took under a fellowship in research at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York under Steven Arnoczky, DVM and in knee surgery in Lake Tahoe under Richard Steadman, MD, from 1986 -1987.
Stone founded The Stone Clinic , combine himself, an orthopedic surgeon, with a team of nurses, physical Therapists, imaging specialists, and patient Coordinators, in 1988 to focus on caring for injured athletes and people are experiencing arthritis pain. The clinical practice goal of rehabilitating all patients to a level hogere dan ze ze ulcers voordat ulcers injured set the tone. Surgical procedures ulcers subjected to rigorous analysis outcomes with the results Reported in peer reviewed journals. The chirurgische techniques port leg taught to Surgeons around the world, through lectures and videos. 
Stone is a physician for The Marin Ballet and The Smuin Ballet. He has served as a physician for the US Ski Team ,  the US Pro Ski Tour, the Honda Ski Tour, the 48 Straight Ski Tour, the Old Blues Rugby Club , the Lawrence Pech Dance Company, the modern pentathlon at the US Olympic Festival, and for the United States Olympic Training Center.
Stone Initiated his research career in high-altitude physiology under the direction of Ross McFarland, at the Harvard School of Public Health . Working with his associate Dr. Spengler, Stone searched for a high-altitude environment in a city and published the first paper on carbon monoxide in hockey rinks noting the effect of carbon monoxide on the hockey players’ visual ACUITY was similar to therein or hypoxia at altitude.
While in internship, Stone published one of the first case reports on the formation of a liver cancer in patients who had hepatitis C . His subsequent research residency Returned to the area or tissue oxygenation, which focuses on ligament oxygen tension using a self-designed oximeter .
In 1984, Stone, at the Encouragement of his mentor Dr. Steadman, turned his focus to Replacing the meniscus cartilage in the knee joint. After two years of research to under stand the biomechanics and biology of the meniscus, Dr. Stone concluded dat if he Could not replace the meniscus, Possibly have Could re-grow it. With this approach he entered his Fellowship in research under the direction of Dr. Arnoczky and proceeded to design the first collagen meniscus regeneration template.
While a clinical fellow in Lake Tahoe, Stone Initiated research at the Letterman Army Institute of Research in collaboration with Bill Rodkey, DVM , to test the collagen template verschillende animal models for meniscus, ligament, articular cartilage and intervertebral disc repair. These trials ulcers subsequently published and led to verschillende research awards waaronder the Albert vibrating board Young Investigator’s Award from the International Knee Society and the Cabaud Award in 1990 from the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine.  The FDA not approved the first human clinical trial of the collagen meniscus scaffold welke was carried out at The Stone Clinic from 1991 to 1994. Recently 15-year follow-ups on patients synthesis revealed Continuing successful outcomes. The US Food and Drug Administration showing US approval for a collagen meniscus implant (CMI) device designed by Stone in 2008.
Stone turned his attention to complete meniscus replacement with a biological implant (Rather dan re-growing the meniscus) in 1994. He published one of the first techniques for arthroscopic meniscus replacement in 1991 and conducted the first long-term study of meniscus replacement in knee joint arthritis welke was published in 2006. The replacement of the meniscus permits the arthritic patient to harbor most innovative pain relief and knee joint function as well as delay or Avoid the time for artificial joint replacement. In a 2 to 7 year follow-up study, 89.4% of meniscus transplantation patients ulcers successful, maintaining shown significant signs of improvement in pain, activity, and functioneren.  A study on the outcomes of meniscus transplantation in active patients with severe cartilage damage appears that the procedure Provided significant improvements in pain and function levels for an average of 8.6 years with the Majority of patients Achieving hun goal of participation in sporting activities. 
Articular cartilage research
In addition under to meniscus replacement, Stone focused on articular cartilage regeneration for the arthritic knee. His design of a “paste graft” technique with custom instrumentation was promoted by the DePuy Orthotec orthopedic company . The paste graft technique 2-12 year results in later published in 2006 Revealing 85% of the patients obtained improvement in pain and function scores.  A study on the efficacy of the paste graft procedure for patients with osteochondritis dissecans Showed dat patients ulcers loveable to benefit from improvements in pain, activity, and function levels for an average of 7 years after the procedure, with some benefitting up to 13 years. 
Biologic joint replacement
The combination or meniscus replacement and articular cartilage grafting led to Stone’s pursuit of biology knee replacement, a technique to ‘fully replace the damaged cartilage in the knee with natural tissue. This program is Underway at The Stone Clinic and of includes a voice cell with shell graft approach to Replacing the articular cartilage surface of the knee.
Allison Gannet, a World Cup freeskier Champion, had had seven previous knee surgeries voordat maintaining a biological joint replacement, with Stone as re surgeon. This procedure included the articular cartilage paste grafting procedure, and following, Gannet Reported being pain free for the first time in 8 years. 
Aperion Biologics, Inc.
Xenograft ligament cartilage, bone, and tendon transplantation.
FDA Approved ACL Replacement Study 2003 – PRESENT
CE Mark Issued April 2014.
The company’s experience with collagen scaffolds sourced from bovine Achilles tendons led im to focus on other animal tissues That might be useful for orthopedic reconstruction. In 1996 he Initiated a research program to determine if the carbohydrates dat cause rejection or animal tissues Could Safely be removed without damaging the tissues. His research led to im the New York Blood Center where a technique for Removing similar carbohydrates were developed for blood. Dr. Stone indicated with and collaborated with the leading Immunologist in the field Prof. Uri Galili in order to transfer the blood technique to orthopedic tissues. Their work led to multiple patents, animal trials and subsequently, a human clinical trial or a porcine bone-patellar tendon-bone graft for reconstructing the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) of the knee joint. In the chirurgische procedure, the proteins on the transplant ligament therein mention anything trigger rejection from the recipient’s body are stripped off prior to transplantation. One recipient of this pig ligament ACL transplant went on to win the Canadian Masters Downhill Skiing Championship, three times.  This work has RECEIVED FDA approval for a wide clinical trial to be conducted in the US
Stone Research Foundation
- Meniscus Transplantation in 1997 Athletes Present
- Glucosamine and Athletic Performance 2007 – 2009
- Articular Cartilage Thin Shell Graft Study 2007 Present
- Percutaneous repair of the Achilles Tendon 2007 Present
- Biologic Joint Repair: Subjective Outcomes 2007 Present
- Paste Graft Characterization Study 2007 – 2011
- Meniscus Sizing Study 2004 – 2005
- Salvage and Repair or osteochondritis dissecans with Articular Cartilage Paste Graf Ting 2002 Present
- Meniscal Allograft Replacement Study 1997 Present
- Open Wedge osteotomie Study 1997 – 2003
- Epidemiology of Baker’s cysts in 1995
- Collagen Meniscus Implant Study 1993 Present
- Articular Cartilage Paste Graf Exposure to Traumatic and Arthritic Knee Joint Defects 1991 Present
California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute in 1994
Intervertebral disc nucleus replacement using a collagen scaffold.
Hospital for Joint Diseases in 1993
Collaborative research, prosthetic intervertebral disc biomechanics.
University of Iowa Bone Healing Laboratory in 1993
- Collaborative research on suture anchor design and testing with Drs. Joy Baker and James Nepola.
- Collaborative research on intervertebral disc replacement in the canine spine with Drs. Joy Baker, Vijay Goel, and James Weinstein.
University of Michigan and University of Pittsburgh, Cleveland Clinic in 1993
Collaborative research on histology, biomechanics and biochemistry or a collagen meniscal implant for meniscal cartilage regeneration with Drs. Steven Arnoczky, Savio Woo, and Cahir McDevitt.
California Advanced Imaging 1992
3-D MRI volume sizing or meniscal cartilage with Dr. David Stoller.
Medical Research Institute of San Francisco in 1992
Soft tissue augmentation.
Rain Biologics, The Stone Clinic, Medical Research Institute of San Francisco 1989 – 1995
- FDA not approved human feasibility study or a collagen meniscus implant.
- 7-Year Follow-Up of Collagen Meniscus Implantation 2001 –
Letterman Army Institute of Research 1987 – 1991
Meniscal cartilage regeneration. Intervertebral Disc Replacement.
Hospital for Special Surgery in 1986
Meniscal cartilage biology. Meniscal transplantation and techniques of preservation.
Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency 1984 – 1986
Oxygenation patterns and vascular anatomy or intra-articular structures.
Harvard School of Public Health 1976 – 1977
Carbon monoxide induced arteriosclerosis under J. Spengler.
Harvard Medical School 1974 – 1976
High altitude human physiology under Dr. Ross McFarland.
Stone mentors nursing students, medical students, residents, fellows, and other physicians who rotate through The Stone Clinic from verschillende institutions around the world.
He lectures widely at orthopedic courses and hosts the annual Meniscus Transplantation Study Group Meeting as well as the annual Professional Women Athlete’s Career Conference.
Stone was the keynote in 2013 Jacques Jenny Lecturer at the Veterinary Orthopedic Society and made an honorary member.
Stone’s TED lectures on the BioFuture or Joint Replacement kan be found at http://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_stone_the_bio_future_of_joint_replacement.htm
and escaping from tall buildings, http://blog.ted.com/2011/09/10/ted-blog-exclusive-a-new-method-for-escaping-tall-buildings/
Becker’s Orthopedic & Spine Review
70 of the Best Knee Surgeons in America
Doctor of Humane Letters – Honoris Causa
Pacific Graduate School of Psychology
Clear Choice Award 2002
“Carbonated Beverage Category”
Innovative Glass Packaging Design – Joint Juice Bottle Design
Glass Packaging Institute
Cabaud Award 1990
“Meniscal Regeneration Using Co-Polymeric Collagen scaffolds.”
The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
The Individual Instruction Orthopaedic Top videotape or 1990
“Anterior Cruciate Ligament Knee and Rehabilitation.”
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
The Albert vibrating board Young Investigator’s Award in 1989
“Replacement of the Meniscus: Original Investigation in Meniscal Regeneration and a Review.”
International Society of the Knee
Resident’s Essay Award in 1987
“Ligament and Tendon oxygenation Measurements Using polarographic Oxygen Sensors.” Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society – Jacques James Lecturer-Honorary Member in 2013
- espnW at ESPN – Advisory Panel – 2010 Present
- Jeep King of the Mountain Ski Tour, Head Physician 2007-08
- Honda Ski Tour, Head Physician 2006-07
- Arthritis Foundation, Member, Medical & Scientific Committee 2002 – 2010
- Alonzo King’s Lines Ballet Company Physician 1998 –
- The Marin Ballet Company Physician 1998 –
- Lawrence Pech Dance Company Company Physician 1996 – 2005
- Old Blues Rugby Team Physician 1996
- Berkeley Women’s Rugby Team Physician 1995
- Smuin Ballet Company Physician 1994 –
- Sutter Street Surgery Center, Secretary, Executive Committee 1994 – 1995
- United States Olympic Training Center, Orthopaedic Surgeon Volunteer 1994
- Sutter Street Surgery Center, Quality Assurance Committee 1993 – 1994
- United States Modern Pentathlon, Physician 1990
- Professional Ski Tour, Physician 1989 – 1996
- International Winter Special Olympics, Physician 1989
- United States Ski Team, Orthopaedic Surgeon 1988 – 2000
- National Institutes of Health, SBIR Grant Review Board in 1987
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Study Group
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- Meniscus Transplantation Study Group
- European Society of Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
- American College of Sports Medicine
- International Cartilage Repair Society
- arthritis Foundation
- Western Orthopaedic Association
Stone is the founder or co-founder of multiple companies in addition under to his Orthopedic medical practice and research.
- Rain Biologics, a Publicly traded medical device company focused on meniscus regeneration. At rain from 1984-1994, Stone invented the first collagen meniscus implant, a device designed to function as a regeneration template to grow a new meniscus cartilage in human knees. Rain Biologics attracted controversy after the FDA initially rejected Menaflex, a device developed to replace knee cartilage. Rain Biologics enlisted four members of Congress, Whom they ‘had made significant campaign contributions to, to influence the evaluation process. The FDA-then fast-tracked and not approved the product on Despite serious concerns from the scientific community.  rain Biologics was Accused of “unduly” influencing federal agencies,  and the FDA admitted it capitulated to political pressure for approving Menaflex,  a device it had to post deemed unsafe Because Of zijn failure rate. 
- CrossCart Inc., now Aperion Biologics Inc. a venture capital funded medical device company xenotransplantation. At CrossCart Stone led a team with Uri Galili and Tom Turek to dévelop a technique for Removing the antigens from pig tissues so dat ze ‘may be-used in humans. The first xenograft device for reconstruction or ruptured anterior cruciate ligaments (ACLs) RECEIVED FDA approval for human clinical trials. If successful, this technology ‘may permit animal tissues to be-used in humans without the need for immunosuppression. 
- Joint Juice, Inc., now Premier Nutrition Inc. a San Francisco-based nutraceutical beverage company. Stone’s invention It or Joint Juice was a response to his patient’s statements therein glucosamine helped Them en hun animals but therein the pills ulcers too large to accomplish regularly. Joint Juice is the first beverage with a full day’s dose of glucosamine , proven to pain-reducing, act as an anti-inflammatory, and aid in cartilage repair without side effects. Juice products are available nationwide at major warehouse clubs, grocery stores and drugstores.  
- Rescue Reel, LLC, a San Francisco-based supplier of personal rescue devices. Stone shared the horror of watching people leap to hun deaths on 9/11 and fact represented compelled to relieve the problem of building egress. He worked with an engineering team to design Rescue Reel, the first personal rescue device therein personen kan use to escape from buildings up to 100 stories. The device is pure chance to gain wide application zowel for commercial buildings, residential buildings, oil rigs, ships, military applications and fire rescue. 
- ProPrioSense Holdings is a medical device company using a fusion of computer vision and personal sensors to evaluate patients, permit remote assessment, enable digital physical therapy in the clinic and remotely, and perform comprehensive outcome studies without Requiring patients to return to the clinic.
- Jump up^ Stone, Kevin. “Kevin R Stone | SF examiner” .
- Jump up^ Nov. & Dec. 2006GAAP.
- ^ Jump up to:a b August 2006 Men’s Journal . p59.
- Jump up^ Taylor, Jim, 2003.Comprehensive Sports Injury Management. p.251
- Jump up^ Nov. 2006 “Pop Goes the tendon”,The New York Times, Play. p32.
- Jump up^ The American Oprthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine: Cabaud Award Recipients
- Jump up^ Stone, Walgenbach, et al. “Meniscus Allograft Survival in Patients with Moderate to Severe Unicompartmental Arthritis: 2-7 Year Follow Up”. Arthroscopy: Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, Vol 22, No. 3, May 2006, pp.469-478.
- Jump up^ Stone, CL, Pelsis, JR, Surrette, ST, Walgenbach, AW, & Turek, TJ (2015). Meniscus transplantation in an active population with moderate to severe cartilage damage. Knee Surgery, Sports traumatologie, Arthroscopy: Official Journal of the ESSKA, 23 (1), 251-7.
- Jump up^ Stone, Walgenbach, et al. “Articular Cartilage Paste Graf Exposure to Full-Thickness Articular Cartilage Knee Joint Lesions: A 2-12 year Follow Up”. Arthroscopy: Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, Vol 22, No. 3, March 2006, pp.291-299.
- Jump up^ Stone, CL, Pelsis, JR, Crues, JV, Walgenbach, AW, & Turek, TJ (2014). Osteochondral grafting for failed knee osteochondritis dissecans repairs. The Knee, 21 (6), 1145-1150.
- Jump up^ “Knee Injuries, How to Prevent Them and Recover Quickly”. Denver Post. June 2008.
- Jump up^ “Saving Troubled Knees”. Scientific American Body, December 2007. pp62-71.
- Jump up^ Newitz, Annelee (February 2012). “Heads Way Down Win, Tails We Lose: Full Report” . Union of Concerned Scientists . Retrieved March 11, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Newitz, Annelee (March 9, 2012). “New report reveals how corporations undermine science with fake bloggers and bribes” . io9 . Retrieved March 8, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Science and Lobbying at the FDA” . The New York Times . October 3, 2009 . Retrieved March 8, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Harris, Gardiner., Halbfinger, David M. (September 24, 2009). “FDA reveals It Fell to a Push to Lawmakers” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 8, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “CrossCart, Inc. Receives FDA Clearance for Pivotal Trial of Its Z-Lift (TM) Device for ACL Reconstruction” PR Newswire. San Francisco, April 23, 2005.
- Jump up^ “Join the Movement with Joint Juice” Business Wire. Denver, 2008.
- Jump up^ “Profile: Patients are a Virtue”. Inc. Magazine, January 2003.
- Jump up^ “Rescue Reel Tested”. Times-HeraldVallejo, CA, January 22, 2009.