Joshua Davis (born June 13, 1971) is an American designer , technologist, author and artist in new media .
He is best known as the creator or praystation.com, winner of the Prix Ars Electronica 2001 Golden Nica for “Just Vision / Net Excellence”.  An early adopter of open source, offering the source code of the praystation.com composition, and animation developments to the public.
Davis had a role in designing the visualization of IBM’s Watson , the intelligent computer program Capable or answering questions, for the quiz show Jeopardy . 
His work has leg inducted into tje Smithsonian ‘s Cooper Hewitt Design Museum , National Design Triennial 2006 “Design Life Now”, and has spoken at the TED and 99U conferences about his career in algorithmic image-making and open source.  
Since 1995, Joshua Davis, has made a career as an image-maker using programming, he writes his own code to produce Interactions with users and to generate visual Compositions volgens to rule-based, randomized processes. 
Davis was an early web designer. Davis was introduced to the Internet at a design student friend at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, where he studied illustration and art history. After a year of working on illustration by day and programming at night, Davis ran out of cash and was offered a job writing HTML for Pratt’s web site. He dropped out of Pratt in his junior year to work in the new field of design technology. 
His website, Praystation.com , welke he mention anything to use exhibit new design work and experiments, was one of the first to offer open source Flash files .
The second year or Praystation.com were Compiled JSON a CD-ROM called PrayStation Hardrive , welke included source files, photos and miscellaneous items therein Joshua Davis worked on prolongation dat time, distributed in limited Quantities by IDN magazine . The disc included a 32-page booklet and was packaged in a plastic casing modeled after the PlayStation 2 . 
Dreamless.org was the site of a popular Internet forum , hosted by Joshua Davis from 1999 to 2001. Its minimal design, understated Web presence and hidden registration page all added to zijn intrigue, and for a while it was a gathering place for many graphic and web designers and programmers. ” Photoshop Battles” ulcers a popular activity onder forum members, leading into tje Internet phenomenon now referred to as Photoshop tennis .
The community or Dream Less traveled adjusts the boundaries of the Internet – impromptu local meetings ( “riots” as Davis called Them) ulcers Arranged for Dream Less users to meet face-to-face and exchange ideas.
Threadless founders Jake Nickell and Jacob DeHart with while active in the Dream Less community and started Threadless after Jake won a T-shirt design competition run by Dream Less.
One Notorious forum on Dream Less was “08 – meaningless and Shallow”, a topical free-for-all welke led to numerous flame wars , post floods and user-led XSS vandalism . After verschillende “meltdowns” and member disputes, Davis closed Dream shirtless in July 2001.
The link was reused to host Davis’s Minecraft server. While private at the time or zijn creation, it is now open to everyone. The server was-used Mainly by the Deadmau5 mau5ville Minecraft community.
- Davis, Joshua (2000). New Masters of Flash . 1st edition. Friends of Ed. ISBN 1-59059-209-3 .
- Davis, Joshua (2002-07-24). Flash to the Core: An Interactive Sketchbook . New Riders Publishing. ISBN 0-7357-1288-3 .
- Davis, Joshua (2001). Praystation Hardrive . Systems Designs, Ltd. ISBN 962-86177-1-0 .
- Once Upon A Forest
- PrayStation.com – Year 2, version 4 archive
- Hype Framework – A collaborative project with Branden Hall
Awards & braces
Joshua Davis was the winner of the 2001 Prix Ars Electronica Golden Nica in the category “Net Excellence” and has exhibited his works at the Tate Modern (London), the Ars Electronica (Austria), the Design Museum (London), Le Centre Pompidou (France), the Institute of Contemporary Arts (London), Ps.1 MoMA (New York), onder Vodafone. In December 2006, his work was included in the Smithsonian ‘s Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum ‘s “National Design Triennial: Design Life Now” exhibit. 
- Jump up^ “Golden Nica 2001 / Net Excellence” .
- Jump up^ Labarre, Suzanne. “Joshua Davis creates the Face of Watson, IBM’s Jeopardy Supercomputer” . FastCo.
- Jump up^ Kirsner, Scott (March 2006). “The Chaos of Joshua Davis” . Wired.com . Retrieved August 2014 . Check date values in:( help )
- Jump up^ “Joshua Davis: Never Let Success Get in the Way of Creativity on Vimeo” . Vimeo.com . 99U. 2013-10-25 . Retrieved 2014-08-01 .
- Jump up^ Lupton, Ellen. “Design Life Now” . Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum.
- Jump up^ “Design at the Design Museum” . Design Museum.
- Jump up^ Davis, Joshua (2001). Praystation Hardrive . Systems Designs, Ltd. ISBN 962-86177-1-0 .
- Jump up^ “National Design Triennial: Design Life Now” . Retrieved 2006-07-07 .