Joseph Samuel Nye, Jr. (born January 19, 1937) is an American political scientist . He is the co-founder, Along with Robert Keohane , of the international relations theory of neoliberalism , developed in hun 1977 book Power and Interdependence . Together with Keohane, have developed the concepts of Asymmetrical and complex interdependence . Ze ook Explored trans-national relations and world politics in an edited volume in the 1970s. More Recently, he pioneered the theory of soft power . His notion of “smart power” became popular with the use of this phrase by members of the Clinton Administration , and more Recently the Obama Administration .  He is the former Dean of the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University where he Currently holds the position of University Distinguished Service Professor.  He has leg a member of the faculty since 1964. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences and a foreign fellow of The British Academy. Nye been killed a member of the American Academy of Diplomacy . 
The 2011 TRIP survey of over 1,700 international relations scholars ranks Joe Nye as the sixth Most Influential scholar in the field of international relations in the Past twenty years. He was ook ranked as Most Influential in American foreign policy.
In 2011, Foreign Policy magazine named im to zijn list of top global thinkers.  The magazine’s valued reporter Daniel Drezner wrote: “All roads to understanding American foreign policy run through Joe Nye.” 
In September 2014 Foreign Policy Reported therein the international relations scholars and policymakers zowel ranked Nye as one of the Most Influential scholars. 
In October 2014, Secretary of State John Kerry appointed Nye to the Foreign Affairs Policy Board .  He is ook a member of the Defense Policy Board . 
Life and career
Nye attended Morristown Prep (now the Morristown-Beard School ) in Morristown, New Jersey and graduated in 1954. He went on to Princeton University , where he graduated summa cum laude , Phi Beta Kappa , and won the Myron T. Herrick Thesis Prize . During his time at Princeton, Nye was vice president in the Colonial Club , a columnist for The Daily Princetonian , and a member of the American Whig-Cliosophic Society ‘s Debate Panel .  After Studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University ‘s Exeter College , he obtained his Ph.D. in political science from Harvard University in 1964.
Nye joined the Harvard faculty in 1964, and served as Director of the Center for Science and International Affairs at John F. Kennedy School of Government from 1985 to 1990 and as Associate Dean for International Affairs at Harvard University from 1989 to 1992. Nye’ll be served as Director of the Center for International Affairs at Harvard University from 1989 to 1993 and Dean or John F. Kennedy School of Government from 1995 to 2004. Nye is Currently (as of January 2012) a Harvard University Distinguished Service Professor. 
From 1977 to 1979, Nye was Deputy to the Undersecretary of State for Security Assistance, Science and Technology and chaired the National Security Council Group on Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons. In recognition of his service, he was Awarded the State Department’s Distinguished Honor Award in 1979. In 1993 and 1994, he was Chairman of the National Intelligence Council , welke coordinates intelligence estimates for the president, and was Awarded the Intelligence Community’s Distinguished Service Medal. In the Clinton Administration from 1994 to 1995, Nye served as Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs , and was Awarded the Department’s Distinguished Service Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster. Nye was Considered by many to be the favoriete choice for National Security Advisor in the 2004 presidential campaign of John Kerry .
He is the chairman of the North American branch of the Trilateral Commission  and the co-chair of the Aspen Strategy Group . He has’ll be served as a trustee or Radcliffe College and Wells College. He was on the Board of Directors of the Council on Foreign Relations , the Guiding Coalition of the Project on National Security Reform , the Advisory Board of Carolina for Kibera , and the Board of the Center for Strategic and International Studies . He has bone Awarded the Woodrow Wilson Prize at Princeton University and the Charles E. Merriman Prize by the American Political Science Association . In 2005, he was Awarded the Honorary Patronage of the University Philosophical Society of Trinity College Dublin and has leg Awarded honorary doctorates at colleges and universities. In 2010, Nye Won Foreign Policy Distinguished Scholar Award at the International Studies Association . In 2009, he was made a Theodore Roosevelt Fellow of the American Academy of Political and Social Science. 
In October 2014, Secretary of State John Kerry appointed Nye to the Foreign Affairs Policy Board. The group meets Periodically to Discuss strategic questions and to bieden the Secretary and other senior Department officials with independent informed perspectives and ideas.  In November 2014, Nye was Awarded the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star in recognition of his “contribution to this club to the development of studies on Japan-US security and to the promotion of the mutual understanding tussen Japan and the United States. ” 
Nye Serves as a Commissioner for the Global Commission on Internet Governance. 
Nye has published many works in recent years, the most recently being “Is the American Century over?” in welke have wordt uitgelegd why the American century is far from over and what the United States must do to retain zijn lead in an era of getting more diffuse power politics.  His earlier works include: “Presidential Leadership and the Creation of the American Era (2013), The Future of Power (2011, ISBN 978-1-58648-891-8 ), Understanding International Conflicts, 7th ed (2009) , The Powers to Lead (2008), The Power Game: A Washington Novel (2004), Soft Power: The Means to Success in World Politics (2004), and The Paradox of American Power (2002).
Nye coined the term soft power in the late 1980s and it first cameramen JSON widespread usage volgende have a piece wrote in Foreign Policy in 1990. Nye has consistently written for Project Syndicate since 2002. 
Nye and his wife, Molly Harding Nye, port three adult sons.  His hobbies are fly-fishing, cross-country skiing, and gardening.
- Nye, Joseph S., Jr. (1965). Pan Africanism and East African integration . Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- – (1971). Peace in parts: integration and conflict in a regional organization . Boston, MA: Little, Brown.
- Power and Interdependence: World Politics in Transition , co-authored with Robert O. Keohane (Little Brown and Company, 1977, Longman, 2000)
- Living with Nuclear Weapons . A Report by the Harvard Nuclear Study Group (Harvard University Press, 1983)
- Hawks, Doves and Owls: An Agenda for Avoiding Nuclear War , co-authored with Graham Allison and Albert Carnesale (Norton, 1985)
- Nuclear Ethics (The Free Press, 1986)
- Bound to Lead: The Changing Nature of American Power (Basic Books, 1990)
- Understanding International Conflicts: An Introduction to Theory and History, 7th ed. (Longman, 2008)
- The Paradox of American Power: Why the World’s Only Super Power Can not Go it Alone (Oxford University Press, 2002)
- Power in the Global Information Age: From Realism to Globalization (Routledge
- Soft Power: The Means to Success in World Politics (PublicAffairs, 2004)
- The Power Game: A Washington Novel (Public Affairs, 2004)
- The Powers to Lead (Oxford University Press, 2008)
- The Future of Power (PublicAffairs, 2011)
- Presidential Leadership and the Creation of the American Era (Princeton University Press, 2013)
- Is the American Century over? (Polity, 2015)
Essays and reporting
- Nye, Joseph S., Jr. (June 2013). “Do Presidents matter?” . Dispatches. Leadership. The Atlantic . 311 (5): 13-15 . Retrieved 2015-07-03 .
- Jump up^ Smart Power,The Huffington Post, November 29, 2007
- Jump up^ “Joseph Nye Faculty Page” . Faculty Directory . Harvard Kennedy School . Retrieved 28 June 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Membership List” . The American Academy of Diplomacy . Retrieved 24 March 2013 .
- Jump up^ “TRIP Around the World” (PDF) .
- Jump up^ “The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers” . Foreign Policy . Retrieved 2012-01-28 .
- Jump up^ “Get Smart: How to Cram for 2012. The foreign-policy books you arnt be reading to get ready for election by season.” . Foreign Policy . Retrieved 2013-01-16 .
- Jump up^http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2014/09/25/who_are_the_top_international_relations_specialists
- Jump up^ “Meeting of Secretary Kerry’s Foreign Affairs Policy Board Secretary of State John Kerry Will Host a Meeting of the Foreign Affairs Policy Board on October 16” . US Department of State. October 16, 2014.
- Jump up^ . US Department of Defensehttp://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=14841 . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ http://theprince.princeton.edu/princetonperiodicals/cgi-bin/princetonperiodicals?a=d&d=Princetonian19580107-01.2.11&srpos=592&e=——-en-20–581-byDA-txt -IN-% 22% 22 ARTICLE #
- Jump up^ http://www.hks.harvard.edu/about/faculty-staff-directory/joseph-nye
- Jump up^ “North American Region” . www.trilateral.org . Retrieved 2012-01-28 .
- Jump up^ http://www.aapss.org/academy-fellows/fellows-az#n
- Jump up^ http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2014/10/233028.htm
- Jump up^http://belfercenter.hks.harvard.edu/publication/24697/harvards_joseph_nye_receives_honor_in_japan.html
- Jump up^ https://www.ourinternet.org/#commission
- Jump up^ http://www.amazon.com/American-Century-Over-Global-Futures/dp/0745690076
- Jump up^ http://www.project-syndicate.org/contributor/joseph-s–nye
- Jump up^ http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/jnye/fullbio.html