Jonathan Andrew Eisen (born August 31, 1968)  is an American evolutionary biologist , Currently working at University of California, Davis .   His academic research in the fields of evolutionary biology , genomics and microbiology and have been the academic editor-in-chief of the open access journal PLOS Biology .      
Requirements COMPLETED his undergraduate studies at Harvard College in 1990, earning an AB degree in biology.  He graduated a Doctor of Philosophy from Stanford University in 1998 with a thesis on the evolution of DNA repair genes, proteins, and processes in 1998, supervised by Philip Hanawalt . 
Eisen’s research    focuses on the origin of novelty, how new processes and functions originate in living things. To study this, he focuses on sequencing and analyzing genomes or organisms, met name microbes and using phylogenomic analysis.
In 2011 Eisen was Awarded the Benjamin Franklin Award (Bioinformatics) for promoting open access in the life sciences. 
Requirements together with Nick Barton , Derek EC Briggs , David B. Goldstein, and NIPAM H. Patel is an author of the undergraduate textbook, Evolution , dat geïntegreerd molecular biology, genomics, and human genetics with traditional evolutionary studies.  volgens to Google Scholar  his must Cited peer-reviewed papers are on the genomic sequence of Plasmodium falciparum ,  sequencing the Sargasso Sea  and a paper on the genome of Thermotoga maritima . 
Prior to working at UC Davis have been an Investigator at The Institute for Genomic Research .
Eisen and his work is routinely discussed in the scientific and popular press. Examples include a New York Times article on the Genomic Encyclopedia of Bacteria and Archaea in 2009  and uitgebreide coverage or work on searching for a “fourth domain” of life.   In addition under, Eisen’s blogging and microblogging work is Frequently written about waaronder for example.    His brother Michael Eisen have died a biologist.
Awards and receptacles
Eisen was Awarded the Benjamin Franklin Award (Bioinformatics) in 2011 and the Esquire Magazine ‘s Best and Brightest in 2002.  He was Awarded the Walter J. Gores Award, Faculty Achievement Awards for Excellence in Teaching.  He was elected a Fellow of the American Society for Microbiology (FAAM) . 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Jonathan Eisen’s publications indexed by Google Scholar
- ^ Jump up to:a b NIPAM H. Patel; Barton, Nicholas John; Derek Briggs EC; Eisen, Jonathan; Goldstein, David I. (2007). Evolution . Plainview, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. ISBN 0-87969-684-2 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Office of the University Registrar – Walter J. Gores Award | student Affairs
- ^ Jump up to:a b http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/leadership/6291 UC DAVIS PROFESSOR named AMERICAN ACADEMY OF Microbiology Fellow
- Jump up^ Gegger, Laura (January 24, 2012). “These Were a Few of Their Favorite Things” . The New York Times .
Jonathan Eisen: 44, evolutionary biologist, University of California, Davis, and academic editor in chief of PLoS Biology
- Jump up^ http://phylogenomics.wordpress.comWeb site for the laboratory of Jonathan A. Eisen
- Jump up^ http://phylogenomics.blogspot.comJonathan Eisen’s blog, The Tree of Life
- Jump up^ Eisen, JA (2008). “PLoS Biology 2.0” . PLoS Biology . 6 (2): E48. doi : 10.1371 / journal.pbio.0060048 . PMC 2253640 . PMID 18303952 .
- Jump up^ “A new domain of life: Plenty more bugs in the sea, The Economist” . 2011-03-24 . Retrieved 2011-06-09 . article about Jonathan Eisen inThe Economist
- Jump up^ Jonathan Eisen’s publicationsindexed in theScopusBibliographic Database, a service provided byElsevier. (subscription required)
- Jump up^ The Arabidopsis Genome Initiative, I. (2000). “Analysis of the genome sequence of the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana.” Nature . 408 (6814): 796-815. doi : 10.1038 / 35048692 . PMID 11130711 .
- Jump up^ Jonathan EisenonTwitter
- Jump up^ Jonathan Eisen: Meet your microbes (TEDMED 2012)
- Jump up^ “Jonathan Eisen» Faculty ” . UC Davis Genome Center . Retrieved January 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Eisen, Jonathan Andrew (1998). The evolution of DNA repair genes, proteins, and processes (PhD thesis). Stanford University.
- Jump up^ List of publicationsfromMicrosoft Academic Search
- Jump up^ Jonathan EisenatDBLPBibliography Server
- Jump up^ Bio-IT World staff (March 15, 2011). “UC Davis’ Jonathan Eisen Profit 2011 Benjamin Franklin Award” . Bio-IT World . Retrieved March 23, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Gardner, MJ; Hall, N .; Fung, E .; White, O .; Berriman, M .; Hyman, RW; Carlton, JM; Pain, A .; Nelson, KE; Bowman, S .; Paulsen, IT; James K .; Eisen, JA; Rutherford, K .; Salzberg, SL; Craig, A .; Kyes, S .; Chan, MS; Nene, V .; Shallom, SJ; Suh, B .; Peterson, J .; Angiuoli, S .; Pertea, M .; Allen, J .; Selengut, J .; Haft, D .; Mather, MW; Vaidya, AB; Martin, DMA (2002). “Genome sequence of the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum”. Nature . 419 (6906): 498-511. doi : 10.1038 / nature01097 . PMID 12368864 .
- Jump up^ Venter, JC; Remington, K .; Heidelberg, J .; Halpern, A .; Rusch, D .; Eisen, J .; Wu, D .; Paulsen, I .; Nelson, K .; Nelson, W .; Fouts, DE; Levy, S .; Well, AH; Lomas, MW; Nealson, K .; White, O .; Peterson, J .; Hoffman, J .; Parsons, R .; Baden-Tillson, H .; Pfannkoch, C .; Rogers, YH; Smith, HO (2004). “Environmental Genome Shotgun Sequencing of the Sargasso Sea.” Science . 304 (5667): 66-74. Bibkey : 2004Sci … 304 … 66V . doi : 10.1126 / science.1093857 . PMID 15001713 .
- Jump up^ Fraser, CM; Clayton, KE; Gill, RA; Gwinn, SR; Dodson, ML; Haft, RJ; Hickey, DH; Peterson, I; Nelson, JD; Ketchum, WC; McDonald, KA; Utter Back, L .; Malek, TR; Linher, YES; Garrett, KD; Stewart, MM; Cotton, AM; Pratt, MD; Phillips, MS; Richardson, CA; Heidelberg, D .; Sutton, J .; Fleischmann, GG; Eisen, RD; White, JA; Salzberg, O .; Smith, SL; Venter, HO; Fraser, JC (1999). “Evidence for lateral gene transfer tussen archaea and bacteria from genomic sequence or Thermotoga maritima”. Nature . 399 (6734): 323-329. Bibkey : 1999Natur.399..323N . doi :10.1038 / 20601 . PMID 10360571 .
- Jump up^ Zimmer, Carl (December 29, 2009). “Scientists Start a Genomic Catalog of Earth’s Abundant Microbes” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ “Plenty more bugs in the sea” . The Economist . March 24, 2011.
- Jump up^ Dickey Zakaib, G. (2011). “The challenge of microbial diversity: Out on a limb”. Nature . 476 (7358): 20-21. doi :10.1038 / 476020a . PMID 21814255 .
- Jump up^ Mandavilli, A. (2011). “Peer review: Trial by Twitter”. Nature . 469 (7330): 286-287. doi : 10.1038 / 469286a . PMID 21248816 .
- Jump up^ The Scientist Magazine® – Magazines
- Jump up^ Brumfiel, G. (2009). “Science journalism: Breaking the convention?”. Nature . 459 (7250): 1050-1051. doi : 10.1038 / 4591050a . PMID 19553969 .
- Jump up^ The Maverick – Esquire ArchivedOctober 13, 2012, at theWayback Machine.