Joichi ” Joi ” Ito ( 伊藤穰一Itō Jōichi ? , Born June 19, 1966) is a Japanese activist , entrepreneur , venture capitalist , Director of the MIT Media Lab  and Professor of the Practice of Media Arts and Sciences at MIT . 
Ito has RECEIVED recognition for his role as an entrepreneur dealing with Internet and technology companies and has founded, onder andere companies, PSINet Japan, Digital Garage and Infoseek Japan. Ito is the chairman of the board of Puretech Health .  Ito is a board member of Sony Corporation,  The New York Times Company ,  the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation ,  the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation , [ 7] and General Partner of Neoteny Labs. 
Family and education
Ito was born in Kyoto , Japan . His family moved to Canada and-then-when Ito was about age 3 to a suburb of Detroit , Michigan , in the United States where his Father became a research scientist and his mother a secretary for Energy Conversion Devices, Inc., now Ovonics . Company founder Stanford R. Ovshinsky was impressed with Ito, Whom have thought of almost as his sun. Ovshinsky helped Ito developement his interests in technology and social movements, and at age 13 watch im work with scientists, saying, “He was not a child in the Conventional sense.” 
Ito and his sister Mizuko Ito , who was called Mimi, spent summers in Japan with hun grandmother who taught Them traditional Japanese culture.  At 14, he Returned to Japan als his mother was promoted to president of Energy Conversion Devices Japan. He studied at the Nishimachi International School  and for high school, the American School in Japan in Tokyo .  Ito ook learned “street language, street Smarts, and computers”. One of few Japanese using modems voordat deregulation or networking reached Japan in 1985, Ito had found The Source and the original MUD in his teens (and by 26 was working on his own MUD ). 
Ito Returned to the United States to attend Tufts University near Boston as a computer science major, where he with, onder Vodafone, Pierre Omidyar , later founder of eBay .  Finding his course work too rigid and believing therein learning computer science in school was “stupid”,  Ito dropped out of Tufts to briefly work for Ovonics . Ovshinsky encouraged im to return to school. He enrolled at the University of Chicago in physics but dropped out on Discovering, in his opinion, the program at Chicago to be more oriented towards practical-Producing engineers dan towards teaching an INTUITIVE understanding of physics.  In the Fall of 1985 he became the first student to register for a groundbreaking program or online courses offered by Connected Education , Inc., for undergraduate credit from the New School for Social Research .
Ito is one of Timothy Leary ‘s godsons-a close non-traditional family-like relationship, an idea zegt to port leg conceived by Leary for a few or his friends.   Ito’s sister is Mizuko Ito , a cultural anthropologist Studying media technology use, and the musician Cornelius was his second cousin. Ito Currently lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts , with his wife Mizuka Ito (nee Kurogane).
Ito became a disk jockey working in nightclubs in Chicago zoals The Limelight and The Smart Bar and to work with Metasystems Design Group to start a virtual community in Tokyo.  Later, Ito ran a nightclub in Roppongi , Japan called XY Relax with help from Joe Shanahan or Metro Chicago / Smart Bar . He helped bring industrial music from Chicago ( Wax Trax ) and later the rave scene, zoals Importing Anarchic Adjustment to Japan.
Ito was the Chairman of Creative Commons from December 2006 Until 2012. He is on the board of Digital Garage,  Culture Convenience Club (CCC),  Tucows ,  and EPIC , and is on the advisory boards or Creative Commons and WITNESS . He is the founder and CEO of the venture capital firm Neoteny Co., Ltd. In October 2004, he was named to the board of ICANN for a three-year term starting January 2004. In August 2005 he joined the board of the Mozilla Foundation  and served Until April 2016. He served on the board of the open Source Initiative (OSI) from March 2005 Until April 2007 Hey Currently Serves as a Board Emeritus for OSI.  He was a founding board member of Expression College for Digital Arts as well as the Zero One Art and Technology Network.  In 1999, he served as the Associate to Mr. Mount (the executive producer) on the film The Indian Runner .  Ito’ll be served as a Board Member of Energy Conversion Devices from 1995 to 2000.
Ito is a venture capitalist and angel investor and was an early stage investor in Kickstarter ,  Twitter ,  Six Apart , Technorati , Flickr , Social Text , Dopplr , Last.fm , rupture , Kongregate , Fotopedia , Diffbot , Formlabs , 3Dsolve and other Internet companies.   A vocal advocate of emergent democracy and the sharing economy , Ito is a doctoral candidate in Business Administration focusing on the sharing economy at the Graduate School of International Corporate Strategy , Hitotsubashi University . He is the author or Emergent Democracy .  Ito is Senior Visiting Researcher or Keio Research Institute at SFC.  In May 2011, it was announced dat Ito’s company, Digital Garage, will bieden PR, marketing, product marketing research and market research for Linkedin Japan. 
Ito is a PADI IDC Staff Instructor, an Emergency First Responder Instructor Trainer, and a Divers Alert Network (DAN) Instructor Trainer. 
In recent years, Ito has Become critical or what he sees as Japan’s inward focus. He stated in a 2011 interview dat he thinks Japan needs to look Internationally if it is to continuously to be “relevant”. 
Ito has written opinion editorials for the Asian Wall Street Journal  and The New York Times   and has published articles in numerous other magazines  and Newspapers. He has had regular columns in The Daily Yomiuri , Mac World Japan , Asahi Pasocom , Asahi Doors , and other media sources. His photographs port leg-used in The New York Times Online,  Business Week ,  American Heritage ,  Wired News ,  Forbes , and BBC News .  He was on the editorial masthead early or Wired and Mondo 2000 . He has authored and co-authored a number of books waaronder Dialog – Ryu Murakami X Joichi Ito with Ryu Murakami , and “Freesouls: Captured and Released” with Christopher Adams , a book of Ito’s photographs therein of includes essays by verschillende prominent figures in the free culture movement .  He has hosted Televisions shows waaronder The New Breed and SimTV shows on NHK .
He is Currently the host of a television show called “Super-Presentation” airing weekly in Japan on NHK . 
Media “lists” and receptacles
Ito was listed by Time magazine as a member of the “Cyber Elite” in 1997. He was ook named one of the 50 “Stars of Asia” in the “Entrepreneurs and DealMakers” category by Business Week  and Commended by the Japanese Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications for Supporting the ADVANCEMENT of IT in 2000.  He was selected by the World Economic Forum in 2001 as one of the “Global Leaders for Tomorrow”  and Chosen by Newsweek as a member of the ” Leaders of The Pack (High technology Industry) “in 2005,  and listed in Vanity Fair as a member of” The Next Establishment “in the October Issue, 2007  and 2011.  Joi Ito was named ook by Business Week as one of the 25 Most Influential People on the Web in 2008.  on July 22, 2011 have been Awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his role as one of the world’s leading advocates of Internet freedom from the University of Oxford Internet Institute .  In 2011, with Ethan Zuckerman , he was named by Foreign Policy magazine to zijn list of top global thinkers, have in welke stated the Best idea is “Users controlling hun eigen data”.  Ito RECEIVED the degree of Doctor of Literature , honoris causa, from The New School in 2013.  On March 11, 2014, Ito was inducted into tje SXSW Interactive Festival Hall of Fame.  He was a TED speaker at the March 21, TED2014.  In 2014, Ito was Awarded the Golden Plate Award by the Academy of Achievement .  On May 17, 2015 Ito RECEIVED a Doctor of Humane Letters , honoris causa, from Tufts University . 
MIT Media Lab
The New York Times Reported in April 2011. dat Joi Ito was named to be the director of the MIT Media Lab . His appointment was called an “unusual choice” since Ito studied at two colleges, but did not finish his degrees. “The choice is radical, but brilliant,” zegt Larry Smarr , director of Calit2 .  Ito officially Began his role on September 1, 2011.   He was appointed Professor of the Practice of Media Arts and Sciences at MIT, effective July 1, 2016. 
Nicholas Negroponte , Media Lab’s co-founder and chairman emeritus, DESCRIBED the choice as Bringing the media to “Joi’s world”.  In an interview with Asian Scientist Magazine , Joi Ito discusses his vision for the MIT Media Lab, and how he likes the word “learning” better than the word “education”. 
Publications by Joi Ito
- Ito, Joi; Howe, Jeff (2016). Whiplash: How to Survive Our Faster Future . Grand Central Publishing. ISBN 978-1455544592 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “I’m finally” officially “the Director of the MIT @medialab and here’s my first blog post on the new Media Lab blog:” . Joi Ito’s Twitter stream . September 1, 2011.
- Jump up^ “Media Lab Director Joi Ito Appointed Professor of the Practice in Media Arts and Sciences | MIT Media Lab” . www.media.mit.edu . Retrieved 2017-01-08 .
- Jump up^ “Puretech – Our Team” . Retrieved 2015-12-28 .
- Jump up^ “Sony Corporation Executive Appointments” . Retrieved 2013-06-21 .
- Jump up^ “Joichi Ito and Brian McAndrews Join The New York Times Company Board of Directors” .
- Jump up^ “Joichi Ito, Trustee” . Retrieved 2011-11-17 .
- Jump up^ “MIT Media Lab Director Joi Ito to Serve on Macarthur Board” .
- Jump up^ “Team – Neoteny Labs” . Archived from the original on April 11, 2010 . Retrieved 2010-04-29 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Fisher, Lawrence M. (August 2006). “The Ambassador from the NextEconomy” . strategy + business . Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. from the Internet Archive. Archived from the original on December 8, 2008 . Retrieved 2012-02-25 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Kelly, Kevin Rheingold, Howard (July-August 1993). “The Dragon Ate My Homework” . Wired, Condé Nast Publications de Inc. (1:03) . Retrieved 2007-09-28 .
- Jump up^ Rheingold, Howard (2000-11-01). The Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electronic Frontier . The MIT Press. p. 227. ISBN 0-262-68121-8 .
- Jump up^ Interview (2004-08-18 to 2004-08-24). “The World Wide Blog”. Ubiquity, Association for Computing Machinery . 5 (25). Check date values in:( help )
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Elaina Hamilton. “Joichi Ito Education” . Retrieved 2016-03-16 .
- Jump up^ “leary.com” . Retrieved 2007-10-04 .
- Jump up^ “timothylearyarchives.org” . Timothy Leary Archives Blog . Retrieved 2009-03-04 .
- Jump up^ “Digital Garage Company Information” . Retrieved 2010-04-29 .
- Jump up^ “CCC Board of Directors” . Retrieved 2010-04-29 .
- Jump up^ “Tucows Board of Directors” . Retrieved 2010-04-29 .
- Jump up^ “EPIC Advisory Board” . Electronic Privacy Information Center . Retrieved 2008-11-29 .
- Jump up^ “About the Mozilla Foundation” . Retrieved 2010-04-29 .
- Jump up^ “People at Expression: Joi Ito” . Expression College for Digital Arts . Retrieved 2007-09-28 .
- Jump up^ “ZERO1 Board” . ZERO1 . Retrieved 2007-09-28 .
- Jump up^ “The Indian Runner (1999) Full Cast and Crew” . IMDB . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ “Kickstarter Fesses Up: The Crowd-sourced Funding Startup Has Funding Too” .
- Jump up^ “Twitter in Japan” . Retrieved 2010-04-29 .
- Jump up^ “Joi Ito” . Joi Ito’s Wiki . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ Joi Ito CrunchBasehttp://www.crunchbase.com/person/joi-ito
- Jump up^ Ito, Joichi (June 28, 2003). “Emergent Democracy (Version 1.32)” . Social Text . Retrieved May 4, 2010 . andLebkowsky, Jon; Ratcliffe, Mitch (2005). Extreme Democracy . Lulu.com. pp. 13-39. ISBN 1-4116-3139-0 . Retrieved May 4, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Program: Electronic Media – Challenges and Opportunities” (PDF) . Higher Colleges of Technology . Retrieved 2009-11-19 .
- Jump up^ “LinkedIn Has Value Preposition to Succeed in Japan, Digital Garage to Help | Penn Olson” . penn-olson.com . 2011 . Retrieved 2 June 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Joichi Ito LinkedIn Profile” . LinkedIn . Retrieved 2011-09-10 .
- Jump up^ Wilks, Jon (May 31, 2011). “Joi Ito: The Interview” . Time Out Tokyo . Retrieved 8 July 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Japan Reform and Recovery” . Joi Ito’s Web (blog) . April 7, 2002 . Retrieved 2007-09-29 .
- Jump up^ Ito, Joichi (August 7, 2005). “An Anniversary to Forget” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ Ito, Joichi (September 18, 2007). “In Japan, stagnation Profit Again” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ “World of Warcrack” . Wired . June 2006 . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ Markoff, John (May 31, 2007). “For Jobs and Gates, a Night to Reminisce” . New York Times . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ “Entrepreneurs for the Ages” . Business Week . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ “The Birth of eBay” . AmericanHeritage.com . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ Schiffman, Betsy (November 6, 2008). “Twitter CEO on How the Company Will Make Money: Ummm”. Wired News . CondéNet . Retrieved November 6, 2008 .
- Jump up^ Griffiths, Daniel Nye (January 16, 2012). “It Takes Tweets to Tango – Murdoch, Kutcher, the ur-Jack and the Dangers of Twitter” . Forbes.com . Retrieved January 16, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Waters, Darren (April 24, 2008). “Stark warning for Internet’s future” . BBC News . Retrieved 2008-04-28 .
- Jump up^ Freesouls
- Jump up^ “スーパープレゼンテーション| EテレNHKオンライン” . Retrieved 2014-03-12 .
- Jump up^ “The Stars of Asia (int’l edition)” . Business Week . July 3, 2000 . Retrieved 2007-09-16 .
- Jump up^ “The Markets Are Stupid. The Current Internet Valuations Have Very Little to Do With the Actual Value of the Companies.” . Joi Ito’s Web . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ “Economic Forum Entrepreneurs – Japanese well on list of world’s 100 young leaders” . Kyodo World News Service . February 3, 2002 . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ “Leaders of The Pack (High Technology Industry)” . Newsweek International . April 25, 2005 . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ “Vanity Fair (R) Discovers Tech” . Vanity Fair . October 2007 . Retrieved 2007-09-27 .
- Jump up^ “Vanity Fair Next Establishment 2011” . October 2011 . Retrieved 2012-09-22 .
- Jump up^ “The 25 Most Influential People on the Web: The Adviser: Joi Ito” . Business Week . September 29, 2008 . Retrieved 2008-10-11 .
- Jump up^ “Director of MIT Media Lab Joi Ito Receives Lifetime Achievement Award from the Oxford Internet Institute” . July 22, 2011 . Retrieved 2011-08-09 .
- Jump up^ “The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers” . November 28, 2011 . Retrieved May 13, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Honorary Degree Recipients” . 2013-05-24 . Retrieved 2013-05-25 .
- Jump up^ “SXSW Interactive Festival Hall of Fame Honors Top Industry influencers: 2014 Inductee is Joi Ito” . Retrieved 2014-03-12 .
- Jump up^ Limit download FUTURISTS, let’s be now-ists: Joi Ito at TED2014
- Jump up^ “2009 – 2014 Golden Plate Recipients” . Academy of Achievement . Retrieved 2014-10-09 .
- Jump up^ date May 17, 2015 “COMMENCEMENT 2015: Biographies – Joichi” Joi “Ito” Check
|url=value ( help ) . Retrieved 2015-05-17 .
- Jump up^ Markoff, John (April 25, 2011). “MIT Media Lab Names a New Director” . The New York Times . Retrieved April 25, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Kirsner, Scott (April 26, 2011). “MIT picks Joichi Ito, Japanese venture capitalist and entrepreneur, as new leader of the Media Lab” . Boston.com (The Boston Globe) . The New York Times Company . Retrieved April 26, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Media Lab Director Joi Ito Appointed Professor of the Practice of Media Arts and Sciences” . June 2016 . Retrieved 2016-06-13 .
- Jump up^ “Joichi Ito named director of MIT Media Lab” . MIT News . Massachusetts Institute of Technology. April 25, 2011 . Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- Jump up^ Chan, Juliana (May 2, 2011). “Newly Appointed MIT Media Lab Director Joichi Ito, Talks To Asian Scientist” . AsianScientist.com . Retrieved May 14, 2011 .