John Maeda is an American executive , designer , technologist . His work Explores the area where business, design, and technology merge. He is Global Head, Computational Design and Inclusion at Automattic. 
He was formerly Design Partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB) where he advised startups on the business impact of design  and Continues as a Strategic Advisor. He’ll be Serves on the Board of Directors or consumer electronics company Sonos and global advertising firm Wieden + Kennedy . He was a professor at the MIT Media Lab for 12 years, and-then became the president of the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) in 2008. In 2011, RISD faculty hero a vote of no confidence in Maeda,  [4 ] and Maeda Eventually resigned his position in 2013.  He joined eBay Inc. as Chair hun Design Advisory Board after RISD and while at KPCB. 
Maeda was oorspronkelijk a software engineering student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology , als have became fascinated with the work of Paul Rand and Muriel Cooper . Cooper was a director and MIT’s Visible Language Workshop. After completing his bachelor’s and master’s degrees at MIT, Maeda studied in Japan at Tsukuba University ‘s Institute of Art and Design to complete his Ph.D. in design.
As an artist, Maeda’s early work redefined the use of electronic media as a tool for expression by combining computer programming with traditional artistic technique, laying the ground work for the interactive motion graphics therein are taken for granted on the Web today. He has exhibited in one-man shows in London, New York and Paris. His work is in the permanent collections of the Museum of Modern Art , the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Cartier Foundation in Paris.
At RISD, Maeda led the movement to transform STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) to STEAM by Adding Art. He states:
I believe art and design are Poised to transform our economy in the 21st century like science and technology did in the last century 
In 1999, he was named one of the 21 must important people in the 21st century by Esquire .  In 2001, he RECEIVED the National Design Award for Communication Design in the United States and Japan’s Mainichi Design Prize . 
In 2006, Maeda published Laws of Simplicity , his best-selling book to date, based on a research project to find ways for people to Simplify hun life in the face of growing complexity.
In 2009 he was inducted into tje New York Art Director’s Club Hall of Fame, and have RECEIVED the AIGA Medal in 2011. He is a trustee of the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum . 
In 2015 he published his first design in Tech Report  to connect the Investing World with the world of design and technology. A 2nd Design in Tech report  was published in 2016.
- Redesigning Leadership (Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life) , MIT Press, 2011
- The Laws of Simplicity , MIT Press, 2006.
- Creative code , Thames and Hudson, 2004.
- Maeda @ media , Thames and Hudson / Rizzoli / Bangert Verlag, 2000.
- Design By Numbers , MIT Press, 1999.
- Tap, Type, Write , Digitalogue Co., 1998.
- 12 o’clocks , Digitalogue Co., 1997.
- Flying Letters , Digitalogue Co., 1996.
- Reactive Square , Digitalogue Co., 1995.
- Jump up^ “John Maeda, Why Automattic?” . Design.blog. August 18, 2016 . Retrieved 2016-08-18 .
- Jump up^ “John Maeda Joins Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as Design Partner” . Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. December 4, 2013 . Retrieved 2014-01-25 .
- Jump up^ Siclen, Bill Van. “RISD President John Maeda to leave for jobs in Silicon Valley” . Retrieved 2016-09-27 .
- Jump up^ Johnson, Paddy (2011-03-11). “RISD’s President John Maeda Responds to No-Confidence Vote” . Art F City . Retrieved 2016-09-27 .
- Jump up^ “John Maeda Moves On” . Rhode Island School of Design. December 18, 2013 . Retrieved 2014-01-25 .
- Jump up^ “John Maeda to Chair Newly-Formed eBay Inc. Design Advisory Board” . BusinessWire. December 4, 2013 . Retrieved 2014-01-25 .
- Jump up^ “Reps. Bonamici and Schock Announce Bipartisan Congressional Caucus STEAM” . Office of Congresswoman Bonamici bonamici.house.gov website. February 2013 . Retrieved 2016-01-07 .
- Jump up^ “More of The Esquire 21” . Esquire Magazine; Hearst Communications, Inc. November 1999 . Retrieved 2008-04-11 .
- Jump up^ “Maeda named ONE OF YEAR’S Most Influential DESIGNERS” . MIT School of Architecture + Planning. June 2005 . Retrieved 2007-07-17 .
- Jump up^ “Board of Trustees” . Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum . Retrieved 2014-01-25 .
- Jump up^ “Design in Tech Report 2015” . KPCB . Retrieved 2016-03-19 .
- Jump up^ “Design in Tech Report 2016” . KPCB . Retrieved 2016-03-19 .