John Kellogg Hodgman (born June 3, 1971) is an American author , actor , and humorist . In addition under to his published written works, zoals The Areas of My Expertise , More Information Than You Require , and That Is All , have been Berninahaus for his Personification or a PC in contrast to Justin Long ‘s Personification or a Mac in Apple’s ” Mudar ” advertising campaign , and for his work as a correspondent on Comedy Central ‘s The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
His Writings port leg published in One Story (to welke have Contributed the debut story ” Villanova “), The Paris Review , McSweeney’s Quarterly Concern , Wired and The New York Times Magazine , for welke he is editor of the humor section. He Contributes to This American Life , and CBC Radio One ‘s Wiretap . His first book and accompanying audio narration, The Areas of My Expertise , a satirical tongue-in-cheek Almanac therein contains almost no factual information was published in 2005. His second book, More Information Than You Require , went on sale October 21, 2008. His third book, That Is All , went on sale November 1, 2011.
Hodgman was the headline speaker at the 2009 Radio and Television Correspondents’ Association dinner in Washington, DC
Hodgman was born and raised in Brookline, Massachusetts , the sun or Eileen (Callahan), a nurse and educator, and John Francis Hodgman, the President and CEO of the Massachusetts Technology Development Corporation and a professor at Tufts University .    He attended the Heath School and Brookline High School , where he edited the underground magazine Samizdat , named for the grassroots dissident publishing movement produktie under the Soviet Bloc .   During his last year of high school, he hosted the weekly radio Consuelo show on freeform station WMFO in Medford . 
In 1994 Hodgman graduated from Yale University with a degree in literature.   Before gaining fame as a writer, Hodgman worked as a literary agent at Writers House in New York City , where he represented Darin Strauss , Deborah Digges , and actor Bruce Campbell , onder Vodafone. Hodgman has-used his experience as an agent in his column “Ask a Former Professional Literary Agent” at McSweeney’s Internet Tendency.
Hodgman Appeared on The Daily Show on November 16, 2005, to promote his book, The Areas of My Expertise . Host Jon Stewart DESCRIBED the book as “very funny” and zegt dat the section on oboe behalf mn was written with “a certainement child of genius.” Hodgman has Returned to the Daily Show numerous times for “resident expert” interview segments, [ 9] and has leg listed on the show’s web site as a contributor. 
In 2005, Hodgman played will a character named “The Deranged Millionaire” in They Might Be Giants ‘ s Venue Songs DVD / CD , narrating in between songs with dialogue he co-wrote with the band. The Deranged Millionaire character ook Appeared on the Daily Show on April 2, 2014.  He’ll be narrated a number of Venue Songs -themed setlists prolongation the band’s live shows in 2005, and has introduced the band while in the role of The Deranged Millionaire as Recently as May 16, 2007. Hodgman Appeared again with They Might be Giants on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson , on December 11, 2009. Hodgman Performed the ghosts-be Portions of the song Why Does the Sun Shine?
In February 2006, Hodgman Appeared on Attack of the Show , a show dat Aired daily on G4 , to share some insight with the host and promote his book The Areas of My Expertise . In this appearance, Hodgman recounted the sad languages of the lobster (welke have zegt ulcers actually a small, Furry, extinct species, killed and Replaced by the Creatures we think of as lobsters today) and brought` Along Jonathan Coulton , a frequent Hodgman collaborator and musical director of the Little Gray Book lectures. Coulton Performed a song called Furry Old Lobster.  Also, on October 18, 2008, Hodgman Appeared again on Attack of the Show to talk about his newest book, More Information Than You Require.
Hodgman Appeared in the North American Mudar advertising campaign for Apple Inc. In this housing, ran from May 2006 through 2010. In the ads have plays the Personification or a PC alongside his Mac counterpart, played will to actor Justin Long . In reality, however, Hodgman himself became a Mac user in 1984. 
In 2007, Hodgman Appeared in the ” Bowie ” episode of the HBO television series Flight of the Conchords . He played will the manager or a musical greeting card company who were Considering using one of the band’s songs for a greeting card.
In October 1, 2008, Boing Boing ‘ s Xeni Jardin announced the official debut of the web series SPAMasterpiece Theater . Hodgman himself DESCRIBED it as “true language [s] or romance, adventure, infamy, and low-cost prescription drugs, all culled from the REAMS or actual, unsolicited emails, RECEIVED here at us and people like you – what we call SPAM . ”    
Hodgman Appeared in the episode ” No Exit ” or Battlestar Galactica , Appearing as the Civilian neurosurgeon, Dr. Gerard. He had earlier visited the set in 2005 to write about the show for The New York Times Magazine . 
On June 19, 2009, Hodgman was the headline speaker at the 2009 Radio and Television Correspondents’ Association dinner in Washington, DC Hodgman referred to this event as a “Nerd Prom.” Many of his jokes ulcers on the topic of President Barack Obama as the first nerd president, and quizzed the president on his knowledge or Frank Herbert ‘s novel Dune . 
Hodgman Appeared in the last two episodes of the first season of Bored to Death , “The Case of the Stolen Sperm” and “Take a Dive,” as a literary reviewer who wrote a bathtub review dat offended the main character.  He Returned in the second and third seasons.
Hodgman voice ActEd on The Venture Bros. in the episode “Self-Medication” as Dale Hale, an ex-boy detective in therapy-following the death of his Father. He has since had multiple appearances in Season 5 as OSI operative Snoopy, Along with other roles.
Also, prolongation the 61st Primetime Emmy Awards in September 2009, Hodgman Provided color commentary with made up trivia about the winners.  He reprised this role for the 62ND Primetime Emmy Awards in August 2010.
Because of his Continuing support for QI , the BBC ‘s intellectual comedy quiz, to be shown on BBC America ,  Hodgman was Invited ACM Press on the show. He was the first “fifth panelist” on the program broadcast January 3, 2009 (the usual line-up being Stephen Fry as host, Alan Davies as regular panelist and three guests) -and won, Continuing the tradition of a guest victory hun ” rookie “appearance on the show. 
In 2012, Hodgman guest-starred in an episode of Delocated called “Reunion Show,” acting as the host of a Fictional show-within-a-show . Also in 2012, he Appeared as a psychiatrist in an episode of Community called “Curriculum Unavailable.”
Hodgman made a guest appearance on the sitcom series Husbands , ITT second season. 
In 2013, Hodgman starred as “Special Agent Henry topple” in Wired ‘s first scripted web series Codefellas .   
Hodgman Appeared as public radio personality “August Clementine” in the episode “Anniversaries” or Parks and Recreation , welke Aired in February 2014.
Hodgman has a Supporting Role in the FX comedy Married , welke premiered in July 2014.
In January 2014, Hodgman Appeared in three episodes of the Amazon Studios series Mozart in the Jungle .
In 2014-2015, Hodgman Appeared for three episodes as a fictionalized version of psychiatrist and medical doctor Henry Cotton on the Cinemax series The Knick . 
Netflix , the American media streaming website Aired the comedy special John Hodgman: Ragnarok on June 20, 2013 as a ” Netflix Original “.    The special featured material from Hodgman’s most recent book, That Is All , and his December 21, 2012 show at The Bell House in New York.  
Other media appearances
- 2008: Baby Mama as Fertility Doctor
- 2009: Coraline as Father / Other Father (voice actor)
- 2009: The Invention of Lying as Wedding Overseer
- 2011: Arthur as Candy Store Manager
- 2013: Movie 43 as The Penguin
- 2015: Pitch Perfect 2 as Tone Pendant singer
Video game appearances
- 2015: Minecraft: Story Mode as Soren Architect
Podcast and Radio Appearances
Hodgman has leg a guest on a number of différent radio programs waaronder WBEZ ‘s This American Life ,   and The Sound of Young America ,  WFMU ‘s The Best Show on WFMU ,  NPR ‘ s Wait, Wait, Do not Tell Me and North Carolina Public Radio ‘s The State of Things .  Hodgman has ook leg featured on verschillende podcasts waaronder Occasional appearances as ” Judge John Hodgman ” on Jordan, Jesse, Go! welke led to a stand-alone podcast  produktie at Maximum Fun . Hodgman was ook a guest alongside Jonathan Coulton on a number of episodes of You Look Nice Today . Hodgman was ook a guest on This Week in Tech with Leo Laporte ,  Stuff You Should Know , and has leg featured on the podcast Boing Boing TV .  Hodgman ook Appeared in person and on the NPR radio broadcast or City Arts and Lectures , in a Recorded interview with Dave Eggers, in front of a live studio audience on November 10, 2008, at the Herbst Theatre in San Francisco, California . He was a guest on Neil deGrasse Tyson ‘s radio show Star Talk Radio on February 27, 2011.  He Appeared again on City Arts and Lectures, in front of a live audience at the Nourse Theater, interviewing Adam Savage on May 29, 2013.
Hodgman Appeared on Ken Reid ‘s TV Guidance Counselor podcast on September 23, 2016.
- Husbands Guest star, season two
- Triangulation Episode 72 on October 3, 2012 
- the show with zefrank
- TED 
- Diggnation Episode 231 
- Today in the Past ( podcast ) 
- Two articles on the website Open Letters in the year 2000.   in them, he details a family trip to Ocean City, New Jersey shortly after his mother’s death, and uses his experiences there as Metaphors for life and death.
- Transcript of welcoming remarks at a literary reading shortly after the terrorist attacks of 9/11 
- Mudar web ads, and PC.
- Judge John Hodgman ( podcast )
- Hodgman was featured on the track “Question and Answer Time” on MC Frontalot ‘s 2010 album Zero Day . 
- Hodgman has Appeared in two indie music videos directed by Tom Scharpling . The first was Ted Leo & The Pharmacists ‘Bottled In Cork “Followed by The New Pornographers ‘” Moves. “
- Hodgman Appeared in the opening section of Aimee Mann ‘s video for “Charmer” from the album of the composition names framing written and directed by Scharpling.
- Hodgman Appears on the cover of the February 2007 edition of Wired Magazine , as a contributor to hun “What we do not know about …” articles.
- Hodgman oversaw the “True Life Tales” section of the Sunday New York Times Magazine .  The section is Currently on hiatus.
- Hodgman has written guest for the “Sedaratives” section of The Believer . “Sedaratives” is an advice column created by Amy Sedaris .
- Hodgman wrote the Massachusetts  chapter in the anthology States by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America .
- Hodgman wrote the introduction to The Laugh-Out-Loud Cats Sell Out (2009), a collection of Adam Koford’s Hobotopia comic strips.
- Hodgman founded The Little Gray Book Lectures in Williamsburg, Brooklyn . The lectures port leg on hiatus “for the foreseeable future” as of August 2007. 
- The Areas of My Expertise ( ISBN 0-525-94908-9 , 2005)
- More Information Than You Require ( ISBN 0-525-95034-6 , October 2008)
- That is All ( ISBN 978-0525952442 November 2011)
- Jump up^ http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/a/n/Emory-Mann/GENE2-0012.html
- Jump up^ http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8595825.html
- Jump up^ “John Hodgman” . Gordon School, Tufts University . Retrieved July 6, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Chase, Katie Johnston. “True to his nerd: John Shackleford-Hodgman FINDS a niche as Daily Show” resident expert, mendacious author, and dorky PC “, The Boston Globe ,September 24, 2006. Accessed December 3, 2007.” He was dealing, and a touch eccentric, from the start. “He was a legend at his own elementary school,” the Heath School … and in eighth grades have been voted Most likely to Become the editor of The New Yorker …. “
- Jump up^ Schwartz, Jason. “The Schwartz Factor: John Hodgman” . Boston Magazine . Retrieved May 15, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “John Hodgman, Radio Consuelo” . Transom.org . Retrieved May 15, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Dempsey, Rachel (2007-02-05). “Yale alumni move up in the world of comedy, Yale Daily News, February 5, 2007” . Yaledailynews.com . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ – Q & A: John Hodgman on Perfecting the Illusion of Expertise, Wired Magazine, September 22, 2008
- Jump up^ “Daily Show videos tagged John Hodgman” . Thedailyshow.com . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ “Daily Show Bio or John Hodgman” . Comedy Central . Archived from the original on 2015-04-25 . Retrieved 2015-04-25 .
- Jump up^ http://thedailyshow.cc.com/full-episodes/wqf1x5/april-2–2014—samuel-l–jackson
- Jump up^ http://www.jonathancoulton.com/music/thingaweek/FurryOldLobster.mp3
- Jump up^ Running time: 1:45:29. “Twit Podcast” . Twit.tv . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ Boing Boing TV (October 2, 2008). “John Hodgman in BBtv’s SPAMasterpiece Theatre (comedy)” . YouTube . Google . Retrieved September 10, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jardin Xeni (October 1, 2008). “John Hodgman in BBtv’s SPAMasterpiece Theater.” . BoingBoing . Happy Mutants , LLC . Retrieved September 10, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jardin Xeni (October 1, 2008). “John Hodgman in BBtv’s SPAMasterpiece Theater.” . Boing Boing Video . BoingBoing . Retrieved September 10, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Martellaro, John (October 9, 2010). “John Hodgman Hosts SPAMasterpiece Theater” . The Mac Observer . The Mac Observer, Inc . Retrieved September 6, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Q & A: John Hodgman on Perfecting the Illusion of Expertise” . Wired . September 22, 2008 . Retrieved 2008-10-08 .
- Jump up^ Blum, Matt. (2009-06-22). John Hodgman Brings the Geek to President Obama Wired.com. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- Jump up^ “Bored to Death The Case of the Stolen Sperm” . IMDb .
- Jump up^ “John Hodgman’s Top Five Emmy Winner Riffs” . New York Magazine. September 21, 2009.
- Jump up^ “Hodgman activates craze gland Against BBC America for not picking up ” QI ” . AOL TV . Retrieved 2013-12-20 .
- Jump up^ “The British Comedy Guide: John Hodgman and ” QI ” . Comedy.org.uk . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ “WATCH: Episode 2 or Husbands ‘ ‘ . Out.com . Retrieved September 12, 2012
- Jump up^ Wired (June 21, 2013). “Codefellas EP. 1: When topple with Winters – WIRED – YouTube” . YouTube . Retrieved 2013-06-23 .
- Jump up^ Todd Spangler (June 21, 2013). “Wired’s” Codefellas’ Plays NSA Privacy Flap for Laughs – Variety ” . Variety . Retrieved 2013-06-23 .
- Jump up^ Camilleri, Ricky (June 20, 2013). “John Hodgman LIVE – HuffPost Live”. The Huffington Post . Retrieved 2013-06-23 .
- Jump up^ Khazan, Olga (22 October 2014). “Pulling Teeth to Treat Mental Illness”. The Atlantic . Retrieved 16 January 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Terri Schwartz (June 11, 2013). “John Hodgman on his Netflix comedy special ‘Ragnarok’ and what comes next” . Zap2it . Retrieved 2013-06-19 .
- Jump up^ John Hodgman (June 10, 2013). “JOHN Hodgman: Ragnarok ON NETFLIX” . Tumblr . Retrieved 2013-06-19 .
- Jump up^ John Hodgman (June 14, 2013). “John Hodgman Picks His 5 Favorite TV thingies of the Year … From the Future” . Vulture . Retrieved 2013-06-19 .
- Jump up^ Samantha Abernethy (June 12, 2013). “Interview: John Hodgman Talks About John Hodgman: Chicagoist” . Chicagoist . Retrieved 2013-06-19 .
- Jump up^ reruns
- Jump up^ Later That Same Day
- Jump up^ “The Sound of Young America: Podcast: Best Friends with John Hodgman and Jonathan Coulton” . Maximumfun.org . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ “The Best Show on WFMU Archives” . Wfmu.org . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ Resident Expert John Hodgman talks withThe State of ThingsonNorth Carolina Public Radio
- Jump up^ “Judge John Hodgman: The Podcast” . maximum Fun. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Jump up^ Running time: 1:45:29. “More Than You twit Requirement” . Twit.tv . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ Jardin Xeni (2008-09-08). “BoingBoing TV with John Hodgman” . Boingboing.net . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ “A Conversation with John Hodgman” . Star Talk Radio Show . Retrieved 2011-03-15 .
- Jump up^ Episode 72: John Hodgman, twit
- Jump up^ TED: A letter digression on matters of lost timeRetrieved 2010-02-26.
- Jump up^ Episode 231: Hi, I’m John Hodgman and I’m a Mac, Revision 3
- Jump up^ Today in the Past
- Jump up^ On Memory Chaosat John Hodgman. Open Letters website, August 20, 2000
- Jump up^ On the Sligshotby John Hodgman. Open Letters website, October 16, 2000
- Jump up^ Hodgman, John (2001-09-11). “McSweeney’s Internet Tendency: Welcoming Remarks Made at a Literary Reading, 25/9/01” . Mcsweeneys.net . Retrieved 2014-05-24 .
- Jump up^ “Track 12: John Hodgman ” I’m not a rapper ” . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ The New York Times Magazine “From the Editors.” September 18, 2005.
- Jump up^ Hodgman, John (2008-09-28). “Massachusetts: Bulwark Against the Kingdom of the Antichrist” . Boston.com . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .
- Jump up^ “Little Gray Book Lectures, zoals archival material” . Littlegraybooks.com . Retrieved 2011-04-04 .