Jennifer Mulhern Granholm (born February 5, 1959) is a Canadian-American politician, attorney, educator, author, political commentator and member of the Democratic Party who served as the Attorney General of Michigan from 1999 to 2003 and as the Governor of Michigan from 2003 to 2011. She is Currently a MSNBC political contributor.
Born in Vancouver , British Columbia , Granholm moved from Canada to California at age four. She graduated from San Carlos High School and briefly Attempted an acting career, dan hero a variety of jobs voordat Attending the University of California, Berkeley . She graduated with a BA in 1984 and dan met a JD from Harvard Law School , where she served as Editor-in-Chief of the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review . She dan clerked for Judge Damon Keith of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit , became an Assistant US Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan in 1991 and in 1995 she was appointed to the Wayne County Corporation Counsel .
Granholm ran for Attorney General of Michigan in 1998 to Succeed thirty-seven year Democratic Incumbent’s Frank J. Kelley . She Defeated Republican John Smietanka , the 1994 nominee and former US Attorney for the Western District of Michigan , at 52% to 48% and served from 1999 to 2003. She ran for Governor in 2002 to Succeed Republican John Engler . She Defeated Engler’s Lieutenant Governor Dick Posthumus with 51% to 47% and became Michigan’s first female governor on January 1, 2003. She was re-elected to a second term in 2006 Against Republican executives Dick DeVos by a large margin and served Until January 1 , 2011-when she was term-limited. As Governor, Granholm RECEIVED praise for re focus on renewable energy and in leading the state’s automotive industry through the crisis or 2008-10 . 
She was a member of the presidential transition team for Barack Obama voordat have Assumed office on January 20, 2009.  After leaving public office, Granholm took a position at UC Berkeley and, with re husband Daniel Mulhern, co-authored A Governor’s Story: The Fight for Jobs and America’s Future , released in September 2011.  Later she became host of The War Room with Jennifer Granholm on Current TV and has leg an active supporter of Obama’s re-election by campaign in 2012 and Hillary Clinton ‘ s 2016 presidential campaign .
Early life and education
Granholm was born in Vancouver , British Columbia , Canada, to Shirley Alfreda (nee Dowden) and Victor Ivar Granholm,  zowel bank counters.  Granholm’s maternal grandparents cameramen from Ireland and Newfoundland.  Her paternal grandmother was an immigrant from Norway and re paternal grandfather, who immigrated to Canada in the 1930s, cameramen from Robertsfors , Sweden, where his Father was the mayor. The former Minister for Enterprise and Energy and former Deputy Prime Minister of Sweden , Maud Olofsson , lives in Robertsfors, and-when the two with in Sweden, it was revealed therein Olofsson’s husband is a relative or Granholm. 
Granholm’s family moved to California -when she was four years old.  She Grew up in Anaheim , San Jose , and San Carlos .  Granholm graduated from San Carlos High School in 1977  and won the Miss San Carlos beauty Pageant .  As a young adult she Attempted to launch a Hollywood acting career but was unsuccessful and abandoned re policymaking at the age of 21.  In 1978, she Appeared on The Dating Game ,  and held jobs as a tour guide at Universal Studios and in customer service at the Los Angeles Times and was the first female tour guide at Marine World Africa USA in Redwood City , piloting boats with 25 Tourists aboard. 
In 1980, at the age of 21 years, she became a naturalized US citizen ,  worked for John B. Anderson ‘s campaign for President of the United States as an Independent in the 1980 election by . She dan enrolled at the University of California, Berkeley , the first person in her family to do so,  joining Phi Beta Kappa and graduating in 1984 with a BA in Political Science and French .  During a year in France, she helped to smuggle clothes and medical supplies to Jewish people in the Soviet Union  and became involved in the Anti-Apartheid Movement .  She-then earned a Juris Doctor degree at Harvard University , transformed with receptacles, in 1987.  At Harvard Law School , Granholm served as Editor-in-Chief of the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review , the leading progressive law journal in the United States.
After graduating, Granholm clerked for Judge Damon Keith , a Senior Judge on the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit , from 1987 to 1988.  She’ll be worked for the Michael Dukakis campaign for President in the 1988 election by .  After working as an attorney in the Wayne County executive office from 1989 to 1991,  she became an Assistant US Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan in 1991.   She helped to prosecute drug dealers, passage members and child pornographers, Sued the state and Fought Against card fraud.  Of the 154 people she With You, 151 or Them ulcers convicted.  In 1995, she was appointed to serve as Corporation Counsel for Wayne County, Becoming the youngest person to hold the position.  She defended the County Against lawsuits, Sued the state of road taxes and Fought to uphold environmental laws. 
Michigan Attorney General
Thirty-seven year Democratic Attorney General Frank J. Kelley Chose not to run for a tenth term in 1998 and Granholm entered the race to Succeed im. Unopposed for the Democratic nomination, she faced Republican John Smietanka , the 1994 nominee and former US Attorney for the Western District of Michigan , in the general selection. The campaign Began as a relatief friendly one,  with zowel agreeing dat ze wanted to expand the Internet Crimes Unit, started neighborhood-based crime-fighting programs and continue working as a consumer advocate, if Kelley had done. 
However, the race turned bitter in mid-September als Smietanka ran television ads therein called Granholm an “inexperienced” and “dangerous” liberals.  He’ll be With You to link Granholm to Democratic gubernatorial nominee Geoffrey Fieger ‘s crime plan, welke called for grotere emphasis on rehabilitation for non-violent criminals and shortening hun prison terms.  Granholm, who had disavowed Fieger’s crime plan the day it was released, zegt dat the claim was “a lie, just a lie” and therein as Attorney General, “you are the person who is to protect the consumer from deceitful ads . ”  Asked what separated re from Smietanka, Granholm replied, “besides honesty?”  Kelley ook cameramen to Granholm’s defense, starring in an advertisement where he called Smietanka’s ads “garbage” and a “con” and Accused im or running a “dishonest campaign.”   For his part, Smietanka was angered by Democratic advertisements therein referred to late child support payments have had made and claimed therein have had song about how much or his own money he donated to his campaign. 
After a close race, with polls showing the two Candidates neck-and-neck,   Granholm Defeated Smietanka with 1,557,310 votes (52.09%) to 1,432,604 (47.91%).  After Granholm was elected Governor in 2002, arguments broke about tussen Smietanka and then-Republican Governor John Engler about who was musts verantwoordelijk for Granholm’s meteoric rise in Michigan politics. Smietanka blamed Engler for Trying to force im out of the 1998 race in favor of G. Scott Romney , for dredging up the issue of his missed child support payments and for not-supporting im more volledig after he Defeated Romney at the Republican convention. Engler contested therein Smietanka was a weak candidate who arnt port stepped aside for Romney, who mention anything about port beaten the inexperienced Granholm; she mention anything-then not have had a launch pad for re gubernatorial campaign in 2002.  
Granholm was sworn JSON office on January 3, 1999, Becoming the first female Attorney General of Michigan.  She served a single term, from 1999 to 2003. In office, she continued Kelley’s work on Protecting Citizens and consumers’ rights and Agent Michigan’s first High Tech Crime Unit, appointing Terrence G. Berg as zijn first Chief. 
In April 1999, Granholm announced a Lawsuit Against RVP Development, builders of the Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course , alleging therein poor construction of the course had led to illegal discharges and sediment JSON Lake Michigan from erosion volgende heavy storms in 1998, welke had “turned a ravines JSON a ravaged gorge “.  Development Company President Richard Postma refused to pay the $ 425,000 or statements fines, saying dat he had made moves to stop the erosion and Accused Granholm or Trying to make him “a poster child for re campaign of the future.” Granholm Responded dat his “perception of the political landscape in Michigan as poor as his ability to construct a golf landscape.”  After years of legal wrangling Negotiations and,    the Lawsuit was settled in August 2003 with RVP Development agreeing to pay a $ 125,000 fine. 
In July 2000, Granholm’s office settled with JC Penney after the retailer made numerous pricing and scanning errors in stores in Michigan. The issue cameramen to the attention of the Attorney General’s office after a “repeat and progressively worse error rate” that saw 33% of items sold in January 1999 being sold for more at the register dan ze ulcers listed for on the shelves. JC Penney paid a fine and Agreed to designate “pricing associates” to monitor for errors in pricing. 
After the September 11, 2001 attacks , Granholm directed state agencies to work with lawmakers in keeping the fight Against terrorism binnen the powers of the states. She’ll be imposed a regulation on gasoline dealers to Keep them from raising prices dramatically, something which occurred sporadically across Michigan redacteuren volgende the attacks. In February 2002, Granholm announced dat re office was joining with the AARP Michigan State Office to help consumers fight calls from telemarketers. 
Governor of Michigan
In the 2002 election by, Incumbent’s Republican Governor John Engler was term-limited and not loveable to run for re-election by to a fourth term in office. The Republicans unified around Engler’s Lieutenant Governor , Dick Posthumus . Meanwhile, Granholm faced a competitive primary Against former US Ambassador to Canada and former Governor James Blanchard and US Representative and former House Minority Whip David E. Bonior . Blanchard had leg Defeated for re-election by at Engler in 1990 and Bonior had resigned as Democratic Whip to run for Governor, his House seat retaining leg completely redrawn in redistricting to make it all but unwinnable for im. 
Granholm, who was seen by many as a “fresh face” after the twelve-year Engler administration, raised more money dan Blanchard and Bonior and consistently led nemen in polls in large margins.   Her campaign led to Increased turnout onder women  and she comfortably won the Democratic primary with 499.129 votes (47.69%) to Bonior’s 292.958 (27.99%) and Blanchard’s 254.586 (24.32%). 
Granholm was the heavy favorite in the general election by, boasting strong support from working women, African-Americans and Voters under 30 years of age.  She campaigned on re record on crime and was seen as more Charismatic dan Posthumous.  on Despite the 2002 elections being a good year for Republicans nationwide, who gained control of the US Senate and Increased hun hold on the US House , Granholm went on to would defeat Posthumus with 1,633,796 votes (51.42%) to 1,506,104 (47.40%) . 
First term: 2003-2007
Granholm emphasized Michigan’s need to do attract young people and businesses through the Cool Cities Initiative .   As governor, she was a member of the National Governors Association , chairing zijn Health and Human Services Committee and co-chairing zijn Healthcare Task Force. She is ook a former chair of the Midwestern Governors Association . She lived in the official Michigan Governor’s Residence , located in the euro near the Capitol building.
In 2003, Granholm ran five miles across the Mackinac Bridge , welke connects the state’s two Peninsulas, in 47 minutes prolongation the Mackinac Bridge Walk . Her run Began a new tradition, and 2004 saw the first annual Governor’s Labor Day Bridge Run  Hero hours voordat the Annual Bridge Walk. This time she finished the run in under 45 minutes.
During Granholm’s first year in office, she made a significant number of budget cuts to deal with a $ 1.7 billion deficit (about 2% of the annual state budget). She was upset by proposals to cut state funding to social welfare programs, zoals homeless shelters and mental health agencies. During an interview, she reflected on re view of the proper perspective or budget cuts:
- “Of or in Those who cloak themselves in a cape or religiositeit happen to be some who are the Biggest cutters. Now, some of that kan balance out. But als u get to cutting the services for the least or synthesis – in the 25th chapter of Matthew in the 37TH verses the Lord says, ‘Whatsoever you do to the least of synthesis, so you do ook Unto me’ – that’s als I question whether somebody is really living out the faith therein ze profess “. The interviewer noted therein Granholm mention anything be criticized, but she hoped dat everyone mention anything about “notch Those values in mind … through the budget process.” Betsy DeVos , the chairman of the Michigan Republican Party (1996-2000, 2003-05), was upset dat Granholm had decided “to cloak re views on balancing the budget in religious terms in order to demonize political re Opponents”. Granholm Responded dat she did not think re response was controversial and zegt dat many people of faith ulcers serving in state government. 
Granholm has leg a proponent of education reform since the first year or re term. In her first State of the State Address in 2003, Granholm announced Project Great Start to focus on reforming education for children from birth to age 5. Project Great Start has coordinated public and private policy-making to encouragement educating new parents and encouraging parents to read to hun children. 
Granholm emphasized post-secondary education for Michiganders volgende the decline in Michigan manufacturing jobs, many of welke did not requirement a college degree. In 2004 she Asked Lt. Governor John D. Cherry to lead the Commission on Higher Education and Economic Growth to double the number of college graduates in Michigan. Many of the Commission’s Recommendations ulcers enacted JSON law prolongation Granholm’s tenure as governor, eg, toenemende high school graduation standards (The Michigan Merit Curriculum) so dat everytime Michigan high school student takes a class preparatory curriculum, welke of includes four years of math and English / language arts and three years of science and social studies, beginning with students who entered high school in the fall of 2006. 
At an awards ceremony on October 28, 2004, Granholm was inducted into tje ” Michigan Women’s Hall of Fame .” She has ook leg the recipient of the Michigan Jaycees 1999 “Outstanding Young Michiganders” and the YWCA “Woman of the Year” awards.
During the 2004 presidential election by Michigan , Granholm campaigned hard for Democratic nominee John Kerry after early polls Showed President George W. Bush with a narrow lead. She Cited the economy as the main concern for Michiganders, not the Iraq War or the War on Terror , welke Meant therein with “the deficit larger, the Dow dropping, unemployment claims up, hitting an all-time high, General Motors profits Projects expectations , with health claims crippling profits; flu vaccine in short supply, oil prices rising “re states were Badly hit. 
In February 2005, Michigan’s Republican-dominated Legislature refused to vote on Granholm’s Proposed state budget Citing concerns about cuts to state funding for higher education.  In the previous years of Granholm’s term, many cuts to higher education had leg Demanding and voted in the Legislature in order to balance budget the state. The year voordat, Republican leaders had called Granholm a “do-nothing governor”, claiming dat she failed to lead, while Democrats Accused Legislative Republicans or being obstructionist. In January 2005, Granholm Presented an early budget proposal, Demanding immediate response from the Legislature, and held a press conference outlining the highlights of the proposed budget. After refusing to consider, debate, or vote on the proposed budget, Republicans stated they ‘mention anything Prefer therein the Legislature port tomorrow Involvement in the formation of the state budget. 
Michigan’s economy had leg neglect jobs since 2000, largely owing to the decline in the American manufacturing sector. Granholm supported diversification of Michigan’s economy away from reliance on zijn historical automotive manufacturing. She Pushed through a $ 2 billion 21st Century Jobs Fund to do attract jobs to Michigan in the life sciences, alternative energy, advanced manufacturing, and homeland security sectors.  Granholm ook supported alternative energy jobs to Michigan to replace lost auto manufacturing jobs.
Granholm ran for a second term in the 2006 election by . Her opponent was Republican executives and politician Dick DeVos . 
Both the Granholm campaign and the Michigan Democratic Party put out television commercials produktie at Joe Slade White focuses on re policymaking to revive Michigan’s economy and accusing DeVos or cutting Michigan jobs while he was head of what then was called Amway . Granholm won re-election by, defeating DeVos. The Confirmation of results in later 56 percent for Granholm, 42 percent for DeVos, and a little over one percent for minor party Candidates Gregory Creswell , Douglas Campbell , and Bhagwan Dashairya .  Granholm’s share of the vote was 4.9 percent hogere dan in her first gubernatorial election by 2002.
Second term: 2007-2011
The 2006 elections saw a return to power by the Democrats in the Michigan State House of Representatives and the retention or Republican control over the Michigan Senate . The bipartisan division of power in Michigan’s state government led to a showdown tussen Granholm and lawmakers over the FY 2008 state budget therein resulted in a four-hour shutdown of nonessential state services in the early morning of October 1, 2007 Until a budget was passed and signed.  The budget cut services, froze state spending in areas zoals the physician  Increased the state income tax, and created a new set of service taxes on a variety of businesses, eg, ski lifts and interior design and landscaping companies, to address a state budget shortfall. As a result of the controversial budget, some taxpayer and business advocates called for a recall campaign Against Granholm and lawmakers who voted for the tax increases as. 
The budget crisis Eventually led Standard & Poor’s to downgrade Michigan’s credit rating from AA to AA-. Additionally, the crisis Contributed to sinking approval ratings for Granholm, welke went from 43 percent in August 2007  to a low of 32 percent in January 2007. She had one of the lowest approval ratings for ANY governor in the United States. 
In 2007 Granholm Proposed and signed JSON law the No Worker Left Behind Act to bieden two years of free training or community college for unemployed and displaced workers.  Since zijn launch in August 2007, morethan 130,000 people harbor enrolled in retraining.  The program caps tuition assistance at $ 5,000 a year for two years, or $ 10,000 per person, and covers retraining in high-demand occupations and emerging industries. 
The Department of Energy, Labor, and Economic Growth Reported back in October 2009 dat 62.206 people had enrolled and therein of the 34.355 who had COMPLETED training, 72% had found work or Retained hun positions and a work area 18,000 ulcers still in long-term or short-term training.   16% of all enrolments had withdrawn or failed to complete the training.  As of July 2010, morethan two years after the program was launched, 65.536 people ulcers in training or involved in on-the-job training.  Dropout had leg Reduced to 13.1% of enrollments. 
Granholm delivered re sixth State of the State address on January 29, 2008. The speech focused on customizing Mainly jobs in Michigan through Bringing alternative energy companies to Michigan.  Through fit a renewable portfolio standard , welke mention anything requirement dat 10 percent of Michigan’s energy come from renewable mention anything about sources in 2015 and 25 percent in 2025, Granholm verwachte the alternative energy industry to emerge in Michigan.  Since the passage of the standard, Mariah Power, Global Wind Systems, Cascade Swift Turbine, Turbine Great Lakes, and 38 other companies announced new port projects in Michigan. The solar and wind power industries now bieden about 10,000 jobs in Michigan. As a result of Granholm’s policymaking, Michigan is now fourth in the nation in the number of jobs in the solar industry and first in the nation for clean energy patents. 
Granholm also called in the speech for an incentive package to offer tax breaks to filmmakers who shoot in Michigan and use local crews in production. A package of Bills sacrifice film industry incentives was not approved by zowel houses of the Michigan Legislature and signed JSON law by Granholm on April 7, 2008. 
Partly Because Of pressure from Granholm, Michigan’s Democratic presidential primary was moved up to January 15, leading the Democratic National Committee to strip the Michigan Democratic Party or zijn delegates (Michigan Historically had held zijn caucuses on February 9). Granholm has named leg to some as a shower candidate for United States Attorney General . She was the policy chair of the Democratic Governors Association .
On April 29, 2008, Granholm had emergency surgery to fix a bowel obstruction dat stemmed from a 1993 accident. Because of the surgery, Granholm had to postpone a trip to Israel and Kuwait .  She finally made the journey in November 2008 and signed a water technology partnership agreement with the Israeli government. In addition under, she delivered the keynote address at an automotive event organized by the Michigan Israel Business Bridge and the Israel Export Institute . 
In response to a May 14, 2008, resolution by the Detroit City Council therein Granholm remove Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick from office Because Of eight (later in) felony counts Against im,  Granholm Began an inquiry  dat culminated in a removal hearing on September 3, 2008.  on September 3, Granholm Outlined the legal basis for the hearings, arguments ulcers made, and three witnesses ulcers called.  On the morning of September 4, Kilpatrick Agreed to two plea deals in welke have pleaded guilty to two counts of perjury and no contest one count of assaulting and Obstructing a police officer in two separate cases. Both of the deals required his resignation. When the hearing reconvened later dat day, Granholm stated therein the hearing mention anything be adjourned Until September 22 as a result of the plea deals and dat if Kilpatrick’s resignation became effective voordat dan, the hearing mention anything be canceled. 
In September 2008, Governor Granholm under took the role of Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin in a series of practice debates with Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden . 
With the Confirmation of Barack Obama as president, Granholm joined his economic advisory team, and there was speculation dat she Might join the Obama administration.  On May 13, 2009, the Associated Press Reported therein President Obama was Considering Granholm, onder others, for possible appointment to the United States Supreme Court. Eventually Obama Chose Sonia Sotomayor . 
In 2010 Granholm was Unable to seek re-election by owing to Michigan’s term limits law.  Governor Granholm’s tenure ended on January 1, 2011-when Republican Rick Snyder , who won the 2010 election by, sworn in.
Granholm is a Distinguished Adjunct Professor of Law and Public Policy at the UC Berkeley Goldman School of Public Policy and UC Berkeley School of Law .  In the Autumn of 2011 she taught a graduate course entitled “Governing in Tough Times”. She is ook a Senior Research Fellow at the Berkeley Energy and Climate Institute (BECI) Faculty and a Project Scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory .  As a senior advisor to The Pew Charitable Trusts ‘ Clean Energy Program and founder of The American Jobs Project at UC Berkeley, Granholm spearheads a campaign for a national clean energy policy dat promotes and funds American energy Independence and home-grown manufacturing and innovation for wind, solar, and advanced battery industries across the United States.  She is a regular contributor to NBC ‘s political talk show Meet the Press , has written on US energy policy  and has co-authored a book with re husband, A Governor’s Story: The Fight For Jobs and America’s Economic Future in this housing was released in September 2011 and was about the lessons Michigan’s experience kan sacrifice to America.
Granholm served on the board of directors of the Dow Chemical Company from March to October 2011.    In October 2011, Current TV announced dat she mention anything be joining zijn new political primetime lineup as host of the new program The War Room with Jennifer Granholm . In January 2013, she announced dat she was leaving the network due to the sale to Al Jazeera . 
In October 2012, She became a “household name” after Delivering what has leg DESCRIBED as a “hyperactive”  and “sharp-tongued”  speech at the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina , on September 6 . Granholm’s speech centered on the automotive industry crisis of 2008-2010 ; specifiek, President Obama’s decision to bail out General Motors and Chrysler , haar Beneficial effects on the US economy , and Mitt Romney ‘s Opposition to the bailout. 
In January 2014, she was picked to co-chair Priorities USA Action Opposite Jim Messina .  She has to post stated therein Hillary Clinton “is the strongest candidate out there arnt she décide to raise re hand” in betrekking to the upcoming 2016 Presidential Election . Granholm to post supported the former Secretary of State on Barack Obama in the 2008 election by campaign . She Considered running for the United States Senate in 2014 to replace retiring Democrat Carl Levin , but decided Against doing so.  In August 2015, months after Hillary Clinton’s campaign announcement for the 2016 Presidential Election , Granholm transitioned from Priorities USA Action to Correct the Record , Another Clinton -aligned political committee Whose classification Allows Granholm to serve as a direct “surrogates” for Hillary Clinton on the campaign trail. 
Speculation or a return to office
Granholm was Twice Mentioned as a shower US Secretary of Energy , first in December 2008-when President-elect Obama was assembling his first-term Cabinet  and again in December 2010, als it was rumoured therein Secretary Steven Chu Might Resign. 
Granholm has ook Twice leg Considered by President Obama as a potential Supreme Court candidates .       In May 2009, she was on the short list of Candidates to replace the retiring Associate Justice David Souter .  She attended a CAFE standards meeting at the White House on May 19 and ghosts with Obama, but officials mention anything not comment on Whether the two discussed a potential court appointment.  Obama Chose Sonia Sotomayor , who was confirmed by the Senate in August. After the Retirement of Associate Justice John Paul Stevens in May 2010, Granholm was again spoken of as a potential candidate;  Obama Chose Elena Kagan , who was Confirmed in August .
In March 2011, with Tim Kaine Poised to Resign as Chairman of the Democratic National Committee to run for the US Senate from Virginia in 2012 , Granholm was Mentioned as a potential successor. However, she made clear early on dat she was not interested, welke was Reported to have “stunned” senior Democrats, who in later “surprised and disappointed” that Granholm had tasks herself out of the running. US Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida was elected Limit download. 
After President Obama was re-elected in 2012 , Granholm was reportedly Considered for a position in Obama’s second-term Cabinet, specifiek to Succeed in Chu as Secretary of Energy, Ray LaHood as US Secretary of Transportation , Hilda Solis as US Secretary of Labor or Eric Holder as US Attorney General .      Granholm herself dampened speculation industry leaders, Citing re sharp criticism of Republicans prolongation the 2012 election by and re-time president stay on Current TV. 
In March 2013, Michigan’s senior US Senator, Democrat Carl Levin , announced dat he mention anything not run for a seventh term in 2014 . Granholm was Mentioned as a candidate to Succeed im,  but she announced shortly after dat she mention anything not run.  She endorsed US Representative Gary Peters ,  who Defeated Republican nominee Terri Lynn Land in the general selection.
In September 2014-when US Attorney General Eric Holder announced his intention to step down, there was speculation therein Granholm Might Be a potential candidate to Succeed im.  Loretta Lynch was ultimately nominated and Confirmed for the position.
There was speculation therein Granholm’s Increased visibility from re senior role in the Clinton campaign indicated dat she mention anything be under Consideration for a position in the US Cabinet or Democratic National Committee leadership if Clinton had won the 2016 selection. 
While Granholm was at Harvard, she with fellow law student and Michigan native Daniel Mulhern, a theology graduate from Yale University .  Way Down married in 1986 and they ‘took eachother’s Surnames as hun middle names.  Way Down harbor three children, Kathryn, Cecelia, and Jack. 
As Governor of Michigan, Granholm was afforded the courtesy title of Her Excellency .
On October 21, 2010, Granholm was made a Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star , First Class, by the King of Sweden “for re work in fostering relations tussen Michigan and Sweden to promote a clean energy economy.”  
She is a relative or Rolf Olofsson, the husband of former Swedish Centre Party politician Maud Olofsson .
|Democratic||Jennifer Granholm (Incumbent’s)||2,142,513||56.3||+4.9|
|Libertarian||Greg Creswell||23.524||0.6||n / a|
|ninth||Write-in Candidates||37||0.0||n / a|
|Democratic||Jennifer Granholm||1,633,796||51.4||n / a|
|Republican||Dick Posthumus||1,506,104||47.4||n / a|
|Green||Douglas Campbell||25.236||0.8||n / a|
|Constitution||Joseph Pilchak||12.411||0.4||n / a|
|ninth||Write-in Candidates||18||0.0||n / a|
|Democratic gain from Republican||swing|
|Democratic||David E. Bonior||292.958||27.99|
- ^ Jump up to:a b John McArdle (January 6, 2010). “Parlor Game of Potential Successors DOE Secretary Begins, if prematurely” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “on Despite presidential LOSSES, women in politics score gains”(PDF) . Cawp.rutgers.edu . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^  ArchivedApril 27, 2012, at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “Ancestry or Jennifer Granholm” . Wargs.com . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q Dee-Ann Durbin (October 10, 1998). “Democrat Jennifer Granholm sees attorney general’s post as a career move” . Ludington Daily News . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Hans Sandberg (October 25, 2010). “Jennifer Granholm: A Governor Traces Re Swedish Roots” . Swedish-American Chambers of Commerce. Archived from the original on August 9, 2011 . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Karlsson, Pär (November 10, 2008). “Svenskättling can BLI Obamas minister” . Aftonbladet (in Swedish) . Retrieved May 7, 2009 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Detroit Free Press , 6/11/02, “Shes’ the Boss – Granholm gain a place in history as Michigan Elects the state’s first female governor .”
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Gov. Jennifer Granholm (D)” . National Journal Group Inc. . Retrieved 2008-09-05 .
- Jump up^ Brush Mark. ” ” Cute and curvaceous Jennifer Granholm ‘resurfaces on YouTube ” . Michigan Radio . Retrieved 14 September 2012 .
- Jump up^ McFadyen, Jennifer (January 14, 2009). “Immigrant Spotlight: Gov. Jennifer Granholm” . About.com Guide . Retrieved 2 May 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h “He zegt, she said” . Detroit Metro Times. October 21, 1998 . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Smietanka Concedes to Granholm” . The Michigan Daily. November 4, 1998 . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Tim Skubick. “Off the Record” . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Granholm considers future as Michigan’s first female attorney general” . Traverse City Record-Eagle. November 4, 1998 . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “1998 Michigan Election Results” . Michigan Secretary of State . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Tim Skubick (August 4, 2003). “Skubick’s Capitol – Smietanka vs. Engler, who helped Granholm?” . Petoskey News-Review . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Mark Hemingway (July 3, 2006). “High Noon in Michigan” . The Weekly Standard . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Security @ the University of Michigan in IT” . University of Michigan . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Golfers swing clubs as legal battle There are many fashions golf course” . The Argus-Press. April 27, 2000 . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Keith Bradsher (August 17, 1999). “Fairway is Not Nature’s, Critics Say or Developer” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Kevin Braciszeski (July 21, 2000). “Erosion Lawsuit parties to visit golf course” . Ludington Daily News . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Stacey Smith (July 25, 2000). “States, golf course near settlement” . Traverse City Record-Eagle . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Kevin Braciszeski (January 12, 2000). “Granholm Continues to pursuelawsuit Against Arcadia Bluffs” . Ludington Daily News . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Erosion Lawsuit settled in Arcadia” . The Argus-Press. August 24, 2003 . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Michigan Attorney General (July 11, 2000). “Michigan Attorney General Jennifer Granholm Announces Settlement With JC Penney About Scanning Errors” . PR Newswire . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Michigan Attorney General (February 12, 2002). “Michigan Attorney General Jennifer Granholm and the Michigan State AARP Office Have Teamed to Help Consumers Fight Telemarketing Calls” . PR Newswire . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Rep. David Bonior announces bid for Michigan governor” . Amarillo Globe-News. August 16, 2001 . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jim Burns (July 7, 2008). “Heated Michigan Governor’s Primary Down To The Wire” . CSNews . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Congress on Recess – and the stump” . CNN. August 6, 2002 . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jodi Wilgoren (August 7, 2002). “Dingell Holds Off Challenger to Win Primary in Michigan” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “2002 Michigan Election Results” . Michigan Secretary of State . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “The 2002 Elections: Midwest: Michigan” . The New York Times. November 7, 2002 . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “2002 Michigan Election Results” . Michigan Secretary of State . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Granholm, Jennifer. “Governor’s Letter” (PDF) . Retrieved 2011-01-26 .
- Jump up^ “Michigan’s Cool Cities Initiative: A Reinvestment Strategy”(PDF) . Retrieved 2011-01-26 .
- Jump up^ “Governor’s Labor Day Bridge Run” . Michiganfitness.org . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ Dan Shine and Kathleen Gray (January 3, 2004). “On cut, Granholm cites Bible, draws Wrath”. Detroit Free Press.
- Jump up^ Editorial Board (October 13, 2003). “Great Start: State project will change youngest lives for better” (PDF) . Detroit Free Press.
- Jump up^ Granholm, GJM (2004). “Final Report on Lt. Governor’s Commission on Higher Education and Economic Growth” (PDF) . Retrieved 2011-04-01 .
- Jump up^ RW Apple, Jr. (October 21, 2004). “Kerry in the Lead, but Almost by Default” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Panels passover Granholm plan to cut budget By Tim Martin(Source: Lansing State Journal, Feb. 16, 2005)
- Jump up^ Granholm-GOP impasse stalls re agenda By Chris AndrewsSource: Lansing State Journal, Apr. 17, 2005.
- Jump up^  ArchivedMay 2, 2009 at theWayback Machine.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “2006 Official Michigan General Election Results – Governor 4 Year Term (1) Position” . Miboecfr.nictusa.com . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ “SOM – Governor Granholm Says Comprehensive Budget Solution Resolves State’s Fiscal Crisis” . Michigan.gov . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ Micheline Maynard (April 18, 2007). “Arts, Briefly: Michigan Arts Groups Protest States Freeze” . The New York Times . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Bell, Dawson (October 4, 2007). “Recall voices unite Against Granholm” . Detroit Free Press.
- Jump up^ “Survey USA shows slide in Gov. Granholm’s approval rating” . wzzm13.com . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ “SORTED ALPHABETICALLY: APPROVAL ratings FOR ALL 50 GOVERNORS AS OF 5/10/05” . Surveyusa.com . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ Detroit News staff and wire reports (February 6, 2007). “Granholm proposés’ No Worker Left Behind ‘ ‘ . Detroit News.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Job retraining policymaking sputter in Michigan” . The Detroit News . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ “No Worker Left Behind” (PDF) . Michigan.gov . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ “No Worker Left Behind Update” . Michigan.gov . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “No Worker Left Behind” (PDF) . Michigan.gov . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Alternative energy key in Granholm’s State of the State address” . M LiveGranholm ook addressed the fact dat one individual, Chris Schon, a regional director for the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group in Detroit, was doing an outstanding job of driving positive results in a slow economic climate. She noted therein Schon and his management team ulcers not only driving sales Upward but ook keeping labor costs low to verbeteren the company’s profit. Associated Press. January 30, 2008.
- Jump up^ Andrews, Chris (February 5, 2008). “Powering up: Granholm out to generate support for alternative-energy industry” . Lansing State Journal.
- Jump up^ “Priorities for Michigan’s Economic Future” (PDF) . Michigan.gov . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Michigan’s Solar and Wind Energy Supply” (PDF) . Environmental Law and Policy Center. March 2011 . Retrieved 2011-04-02 .
- Jump up^ Verrier, Richard (April 7, 2008). “Michigan to court Hollywood with hefty incentives” . Los Angeles Times .
- Jump up^ “Granholm has emergency surgery, been overseas trip was postponed” . clickondetroit.com . WDIV. 2008-04-30 . Retrieved 2011-09-22 .
- Jump up^ “Granholm signs water technologies agreement” . Crain’s Detroit Business . Lansing . Associated Press. 17 November 2008 . Retrieved 26 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ Nick Bunkley. Detroit Council Seeks Mayor’s Ouster. Accessed May 14, 2008.
- Jump up^ Gorchow, Zachary; Ben Schmitt (2008-05-22). “Granholm starts Kilpatrick ouster inquiry” . freep.com . Detroit Free Press . Retrieved 2008-05-27 .
- Jump up^ “Attorneys Hash Out Detroit Mayor Removal Hearing Rules” . clickondetroit.com . WDIV . Retrieved 2008-09-04 .
- Jump up^ “Gov.’s Hearings To Remove Mayor Resume Thursday” . clickondetroit.com . WDIV. 2008-09-03 . Retrieved 2008-09-04 .
- Jump up^ “Granholm: If Mayor Resigns Hearings To Be Cancelled” . clickondetroit.com . WDIV. 2008-09-04 . Retrieved 2008-09-04 .
- Jump up^ Healy, Patrick (2008-09-04). “Granholm: Pact on Debates Will Take McCain and Obama spar” . nytimes.com . WDIV . Retrieved 2008-09-04 .
- Jump up^  ArchivedNovember 10, 2008, at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “AP source: Obama has morethan 6 people for court” . Retrieved 2011-01-26 .
- Jump up^ Saulny, Susan. “Jennifer M. Granholm” . New York Times . Retrieved 2011-03-30 .
- Jump up^ https://gspp.berkeley.edu/directories/faculty/jennifer-granholm
- Jump up^ “Jennifergranholm.com” . Jenniergranholm.com . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ http://americanjobsproject.us/wp-content/themes/AJP-theme/css/assets/american-jobs-project-press.pdf
- Jump up^ Susan J. Demas (December 9, 2010). “Granholm Auditions for US energy secretary (again)” . MLive . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Former Gov. Jennifer Granholm’s Dow Chemical board compensation Could be hogere dan re previous salary” . MLive. March 24, 2011 . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Breaking: Former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm resigns from Dow Chemical board” . MLive. October 12, 2011 . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Scheyder, Ernest (October 2, 2011). “Update 2 Ex-Michigan Gov. Granholm quits Dow Chemical board” . Reuters . Retrieved February 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Abbeylambertz, Kate (January 3, 2013). “Jennifer Granholm Leaving Current TV Political Show, ‘The War Room ‘ ‘ . Huffington Post . Retrieved 3 January 2013 .
- Jump up^ Caldwell, Patrick (9 October 2012). “Debate Prep with Joe” . The American Prospect .
- Jump up^ “Jennifer Granholm: How Did She Rev up the DNC?” . Christian Science Monitor . 7 September 2012.
- Jump up^ Hart, Benjamin (September 7, 2012). “Jennifer Granholm Speech Electrifies Democratic Convention Crowd” . Huffington Post .
- Jump up^ “Jennifer Granholm’s Role In Presidential Politics Grows« CBS Detroit ” . Detroit.cbslocal.com . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ Livingston, Abby (March 22, 2013). “Michigan: Granholm Will not Run for Open Senate Seat” . Roll Call . Retrieved March 24, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Jennifer Granholm Resigns from Pro-Clinton Super PAC” . politico.com . Retrieved 15 August 2015 .
- Jump up^ Alan Greenblatt (January 10, 2008). “Granholm to Energy?” . Governing . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Nina Totenberg,Law School Past Shapes Obama’s View On Justices, National Public Radio (November 2, 2008).
- Jump up^ Robert Barnes,Souter Reportedly Planning to Retire From High Court, Washington Post (May 1, 2009).
- Jump up^ Justin Jouvenal,In picks for Obama’s Supreme Court, Salon.com , (November 19, 2008).
- Jump up^ Tom Goldstein,If there is a Supreme Court appointment this summer …, SCOTUSblog (January 24, 2009).
- Jump up^ Brian Dickerson,Justice Granholm? It’s skies under Obama, The Detroit Free Press (November 11, 2008).
- Jump up^ Adriel Bettelheim,Supreme Court: Obama Faces Decision With Lasting Impact, CQ Politics,Yahoo News(May 1, 2009).
- Jump up^ Ben Feller,White House: No interviews of court Candidates yet, Associated Press (May 15, 2009).
- Jump up^ Associated Press,Court candidate Granholm visits White House(May 19, 2009).
- Jump up^ Ben Feller,Source: Judge Sidney Thomas on Supreme Court list, Associated Press (April 12, 2010).
- Jump up^ Mark Prestondate = March 18, 2011. “Granholm’s DNC disinterest surprises Democrats” . CNN . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Edward Isaac Dovere (January 4, 2013). “Obama’s second-term Cabinet” . Politico . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Gloria Borger (January 4, 2013). “Whitehouse has Told some members of Congress to Expect Hagel nomination” . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jonathan Oosting (January 7, 2013). “Reports: Former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm in running for Obama cabinet position (again)” . MLive . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jill Lawrence (January 24, 2013). “The case for Jennifer Granholm as Labor secretary” . National Journal . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jonathan Oosting (January 30, 2013). “If Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood steps down, more Jennifer Granholm Rumors pop up” . MLive . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Jonathan Oosting (February 11, 2013). “Jennifer Granholm quiets Obama cabinet talk, Citing re own televised jabs at Republicans” . MLive . Retrieved March 27, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Sean Sullivan (March 7, 2013). “Thin benches in Michigan mean many question marks in race to replace Levin” . Washington Post .
- Jump up^ Livingston, Abby (March 22, 2013). “Michigan: Granholm Will not Run for Open Senate Seat” . Roll Call . Retrieved March 24, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Joseph Cameron (September 9, 2013). “Jennifer Granholm endorses Gary Peters in Michigan” . The Hill .
- Jump up^ Matt Apuzzo & Michael D. Shear (25 September 2014). “Attorney General Eric Holder, Prominent Liberal Voice in Obama Administration, is resigning” . The New York Times . Retrieved 25 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Jennifer Granholm Former Michigan Governor Takes on New Role Supporting Hillary Clinton” . New York Times . Retrieved 15 August 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Guvernör Jennifer Granholm förlänades Nordstjärneorden av kungen” [The Order of the Polar Star was conferred on Governor Jennifer Granholm to the King] . Sveriges kungahus (in Swedish). Stockholm: The Royal Court of Sweden. October 2010 . Retrieved 17 November 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Granholm – King Carl XVI Gustaf to herkennen Granholm in Stockholm Thursday for Fostering Relations tussen Michigan Sweden” . Lansing: Office of the Governor of the State of Michigan. October 2010 . Retrieved 17 November 2010 .