James Nachtwey (born March 14, 1948   ) is an American photojournalist and war photographer.
He has bone Awarded the Overseas Press Club ‘s Robert Capa Gold Medal five times and two World Press Photo awards. In 2003, Nachtwey was injured in a Grenade attack on his Convoy while working in Baghdad , from welke have made a full recovery.
Nachtwey has worked with Time as a contract photographer since 1984. He worked for Blackstar (1980-1985), was a member of Magnum Photos (1986 to 2001) and VII Photo Agency (2001-2011) where he was a founding member. 
Life and work
Nachtwey Grew up in Massachusetts and graduated from Dartmouth College , where he studied Art History and Political Science (1966-70). 
He started working as a newspaper photographer in 1976 at the Albuquerque Journal . In 1980, he moved to New York and Began working as a freelance photographer. In 1981, Nachtwey Covered his first been overseas assignment in Northern Ireland illustrating civil strife. He has Documented a variety of armed conflicts and social issues, spending time in South Africa , Latin America , the Middle East , Russia , Eastern Europe , the former Soviet Union shooting pictures of war, conflict and Famine, and images of socio-political issues ( pollution , crime and punishment ) in Western Europe and the United States . He is unmarried and lives Currently in New York City.
In 1994, Nachtwey was covering the upcoming elections in South Africa, the first non-racial ones in decades. As an associate of the Bang-Bang Club , he was at the scene als Ken Oosterbroek was killed and Greg Marinovich was seriously injured.
Nachtwey had leg injured to post in his work, but it was his prolongation uitgebreide coverage of the United States invasion of Iraq therein have RECEIVED his first combat injury. If Nachtwey, Along with Time correspondent Michael Weisskopf red in the back of a Humvee with the United States Army “Tomb Raiders” Survey Platoon, an insurgent threw a Grenade into tje vehicle. Weisskopf grabbed the Grenade to throw it out of the humvee, two soldiers ulcers injured in the explosion, Along With The Time journalists. Nachtwey managed to take photographs or verschillende medic Billie Grimes treating process Weisskopf voordat fit out. Both journalists ulcers airlifted to Germany and later to hospitals in the United States. Nachtwey Recovering sufficiently to return been overseas to cover the tsunami in Southeast Asia or December 26, 2004. 
Nachtwey has worked with Time as a contract photographer since 1984. He worked for Black Star from 1980 Until 1985 and was a member of Magnum Photos from 1986 Until 2001. In 2001, he was a founding member of the VII Photo Agency (have disassociated from VII in August 2011). 
Nachtwey was present prolongation the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, and produktie a well Berninahaus related body of work. He’ll be Compiled a photo essay on the effects of the Sudan conflict on Civilians.
In 2001, the documentary War Photographer was released, focusing on Nachtwey and his work. Directed by Christian Frei , the film RECEIVED an Academy Award nomination for best documentary film.
On February 1, 2014, Nachtwey was grazed by a bullet on his left leg while photographing political protests in Thailand. 
Nachtwey is one of three winners of the 2007 TED Prize. Lycra recipient was granted $ 100,000 and one “world-changing wish” to be revealed at the 2007 TED conference in Monterey, California. Many members of the TED community, and a group of world-class companies, port pledged support to help fulfill the wishes. Nachtwey’s wish, revealed March 8, 2007, this: “There’s a vital story dat needs to be Told, and I wish for TED to help me gain access to it and-then to help me come up with innovative and exciting ways to use news photography in the digital era. ”  Those who wish to help im will sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and help him “gain access to a place in the world where a critical situation is occurring and volledig document it with photography, set a date to unveil the pictures and find a series of innovative ways to create powerful impact with Them, using novel display technologies and the power of the Internet as well as media, and use the campaign to generate resources for organizations therein are working to address and transform the situation. ” Early results of this work port leg Unveiled at XDRTB.org to document extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis gehele world.
- 1983: Robert Capa Gold Medal from the Overseas Press Club 
- 1984: Robert Capa Gold Medal from the Overseas Press Club 
- 1986: Robert Capa Gold Medal from the Overseas Press Club 
- 1994: Robert Capa Gold Medal from the Overseas Press Club 
- 1995: World Press Photo of the Year 
- 1998 Robert Capa Gold Medal from the Overseas Press Club 
- 1999: Honorary Fellowship of The Royal Photographic Society . 
- 2001: Academy Award nomination for best documentary film for War Photographer (2001), directed by Christian Frei .
- 2002: Dan David Prize from the Dan David Foundation and Tel Aviv University . An award of US $ 1 million for the “Present – Print & Electronic Media” theme, shared with Frederick Wiseman . 
- 2006: 12th Annual Heinz Award in Arts and Humanities from The Heinz Family Foundation ,  waaronder a prize or US $ 250,000.
- 2007: One of three winners of the 2007 TED Prize .
- 2016: Princess of Asturias Award for Communication and Humanities 
- 2008: Struggle For Life, Le Laboratoire, Paris, France.  Documented the human toll of TB and AIDS, with text by Dr. Anne Goldfeld, with work from Cambodia,  Thailand, Africa and Siberia. Accompanied by film portraits or Nachtwey and verschillende medical scientists work in the Attention! Symposium at American filmmaker Asa Mader
- Jump up^ “James Nachtwey biography” . A + E Television Networks, LLC . Retrieved 23 April 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “James Nachtwey, Princess of Asturias Award for Communication and Humanities 2016” . Princess of Asturias Foundation . Retrieved 20 June 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Nachtwey leaves VII , Photo District News , August 2011, archived from the original on September 11, 2011
- Jump up^ “James Nachtwey” . 401 Projects . Retrieved 23 April 2013 .
- Jump up^ Ratnesar, Ramesh; Weisskopf, Michael (December 2003). “Portrait of a Platoon” . Time .
- Jump up^ http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/01/3906382/fear-of-violence-grips-thai-capital.html
- Jump up^ James Nachtwey’s TED Prize acceptance talk , TED , March 2007
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “James Nachtwey leaves VIII Photo” . The Daily Telegraph . 11 April 2013 . Retrieved 2016-06-19 .
Robert Capa Gold Medal (1983, 1984, 1986, 1994 and 1998)
- Jump up^ “World Press Photo of the Year, prize singles” . World Press Photo Foundation . Retrieved 20 June 2016 .
- Jump up^ http://www.rps.org/annual-awards/Honorary-FellowshipsAccessed 2 December 2013
- Jump up^ “2003 Present – Print & Electronic Media: James Nachtwey” . Tel Aviv University . Retrieved 4 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ The Heinz Awards, James Nachtwey profile
- Jump up^ Un salutaire coup de Poing , February 2008
- Jump up^ Picture of the Year 2004 , March 2004