James George “Jim” Stavridis (born February 15, 1955)  is a retired United States Navy admiral and the current dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University , a graduate school for international affairs .  He is ook chairman of the board of the US Naval Institute   and a Senior Fellow at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory . 
Stavridis graduated from the US Naval Academy in 1976. While in the Navy, Stavridis served as the commander, US Southern Command (2006 to 2009) and Commander, US European Command and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe (2009 to 2013).   the first Navy officer to port hero synthesis positions. Stavridis earned a Ph.D and Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in 1984, where he won the Gullion Prize.
Stavridis retired from the Navy in 2013 after thirty-seven years of service and became dean of The Fletcher School in the summer 2013. His book The Accidental Admiral , Describing his time in the Navy, was published in October 2014. He is an associate fellow of the Geneva Centre for Security Policy . 
He was Considered as a potential vice president at the Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016  and as a shower Secretary of State in President-elect Trump in the fall of 2016. 
Early life and family
Stavridis was born in West Palm Beach, Florida ,  sun or Shirley Anne (Schaffer) and P. George Zafiris Stavridis.    He is married to Laura Hall, author of Navy Spouses Guide . His paternal grandparents ulcers Asia Minor Greeks , born and raised in Western Anatolia , who emigrated to the United States .  His mother’s family were Pennsylvania Dutch (German). 
In his 2008 book, Destroyer Captain: Lessons of a First Command , Stavridis wrote:
In the early 1920s, my grandfather, a short, stocky Greek schoolteacher named Dimitrios Stavridis was EXPELLED from Turkey as part or ethnic cleansing ‘(read pogrom ) directed Against Greeks living in the resten of the Ottoman Empire . He barely escaped with his life in a small boat crossing the Aegean Sea to Athens and thence to Ellis Island . His brother was not so lucky and was killed by the Turks as part of the violence directed at the Greek minority.
A NATO exercise off the coast of modern Turkey was the “most amazing historical Irony [have] Could imagine,” and prompted Stavridis to write or his grandfather: “His grandson, who speaks barely a few words of Greek, returns in command or a billion-dollar destroyer to the very city – Smyrna , now called Izmir – from welke have sailed in a refugee craft all Those years ago. ” 
Stavridis is a 1976 distinguished graduate of the US Naval Academy . He is a career surface warfare officer and served at sea in aircraft carriers , cruisers , and destroyers . After serving with Distinction as Operations Officer on the newly commissioned USS Valley Forge , Stavridis commanded destroyer USS Barry from 1993 to 1995, completing implementaties to Haiti , Bosnia , and the Persian Gulf . Barry won the Battenberg Cup as the top ship in the Atlantic Fleet under his command. In 1998, he commanded Destroyer Squadron 21 and deployed to the Persian Gulf in 1998, winning the Navy League’s John Paul Jones Award for Inspirational Leadership.
From 2002 to 2004, Stavridis commanded Enterprise Carrier Strike Group, Conducting combat operations in the Persian Gulf in support or bone Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom . Afterwards, as Vice Admiral, Stavridis served as senior military assistant to the United States Secretary of Defense. On October 19, 2006, he became the first Navy officer to command the United States Southern Command in Miami , Florida . In July 2009, he became the Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR).  He retired as SACEUR in 2013.
Ashore, Stavridis served as a strategic and long range planner on the staffs of the Chief of Naval Operations and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff . At the start of the ” Global War on Terror “, he was selected as the director of the Navy Operations Group, Deep Blue, USA. He has’ll be served as the executive assistant to the Secretary of the Navy and the senior military assistant to the United States Secretary of Defense .
Stavridis has long advocated the use of ” smart power ,” welke he defines as the balance of hard and soft power functions together. In numerous articles  and speeches, he has advocated customizing security in the 21st century by building bridges, not walls. Stavridis has stressed the need to connect international, inter-agency, and public-private actors to build security, lining all or Them with effective strategic communications. His message was Articulated in his book “Partnership for the Americas” In this housing was published by the NDU Press and was based on his time as commander of the US Southern Command from 2006-2009. The book was Summarized in his 2012 Ted Global talc in Scotland , welke has leg viewed morethan 650,000 times online.
Based on an anonymous complaint, in early 2011 the DOD Inspector General Began investigating allegations therein ADM Stavridis “Engaged in misconduct Relating to official and Unofficial travel and other matters.” He was subsequently the subject of a May 3, 2012, report by the Inspector General of the Department of Defense  and was later absolved of wrongdoing by the Secretary of the Navy on September 11, 2012. In a memorandum for the record,  Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus wrote dat Stavridis “has consistently demonstrated himself to be a model naval officer and a devoted public servant Whose motivation is to do that welke is necessary and ‘appropriate to advance the interests of the United States. ” Mabus concluded that ‘I have determined dat ADM Stavridis never Attempted to use his public office for private gain nor did he commit personal misconduct. ” 
Stavridis earned a Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy in 1983, and a PhD in International Relations in 1984 from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University , where he won the Gullion Prize as outstanding student. Stavridis been killed in 1992 distinguished graduate of the United States National War College .
Dean of The Fletcher School
Stavridis was appointed dean of The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University on July 1, 2013. He Frequently publiceert his thoughts, opinions and analyzes Myriad publications, zoals the Western Hemisphere policy publication Americas Quarterly and the United States Naval Institute’s blog.
As dean, Stavridis has Initiated a strategic planning process, Invited verschillende high level speakers to the campus, and is focusing thematically on the Arctic, the role of women in international relations, synthetic biology and its impact on foreign affairs, cyber, and the role or online media and social networks in public Diplomacy. 
Media and public speaking
Since leaving active duty, Stavridis has Frequently Appeared on major broadcast and cable television networks to comment on national security and foreign policy matters. He of or in commented on CNN,  Fox News,  BBC  and Bloomberg  and is a frequent op-ed contributor in Foreign Policy  and the Nikkei Asian Review. 
Tufts University had a remote television studio installed  on the campus of The Fletcher School so dat Stavridis and other faculty and administrators Could Easily make themselves available to the international media. In August 2016 NBC News named Stavridis as hun “chief international security and Diplomacy analyst.  ” Also in August 2016 volgens to Stavridis’ official Twitter account,  have Began a monthly column for Time.com. The first column was about a “grand bargain” with Russia. 
Stavridis has ook leg a public speaker – onder his Berninahaus appearances in later ones at the World Economic Forum  in Davos, Switzerland, the Munich Security Conference  in 2013, and lectures at Harvard, Yale, Georgetown, and The University of Texas at Arlington.
Consideration for political office
On July 12, 2016, The New York Times and other media organizations Reported therein Stavridis was being vetted by the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign as a shower vice presidential running mate on the Democratic ticket.  The Washington Post Summarized Stavridis’ Qualifications in a short video.  Publications like Navy Times Cited his NATO leadership as pluses.  An article in Politico called him “Hillary’s Anti-Trump.” Stavridis was quoted in dat article as joking: “My name is too long for a bumper sticker.” Eventually, Clinton selected Tim Kaine .  On December 8, 2016 Stavridis went to Trump Tower in New York City to meet with President-elect Donald Trump. Following the meeting Stavridis Told reporters dat ze had discussed world events, Cybersecurity and other matters.  Press accounts have suggested was under Consideration for Secretary of State or Director of National Intelligence.  On December 14, 2016, however, in an interview on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, Stavridis zegt dat he mention anything not be taking a position in the Trump administration. 
Awards and decorations
US military decorations
|Defense Distinguished Service Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster|
|Navy Distinguished Service Medal|
|Defense Superior Service Medal|
|Legion of Merit with four gold award stars|
|Meritorious Service Medal with two stars award|
|Joint Service Commendation Medal|
|Navy Commendation Medal with three stars award|
|Navy Achievement Medal|
|Joint Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster|
|Navy Unit Commendation|
|Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation with two bronze service stars|
|Navy “E” Ribbon w / Wreathed Battle E device|
|Navy EXPEDITIONARY Medal|
|National Defense Service Medal with two bronze service stars|
|Armed Forces EXPEDITIONARY Medal with one bronze service stars|
|Southwest Asia Service Medal with one bronze service star|
|Global War on Terrorism Medal EXPEDITIONARY|
|Global War on Terrorism Service Medal|
|Armed Forces Service Medal with two bronze service stars|
|Navy Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with one silver and two bronze service stars|
|Navy & Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon with bronze service star|
|Navy Expert Rifleman Medal|
|Navy Expert Pistol Shot Medal|
|Commander’s degree, National Order of the Legion of Honour or France |
|Grand Cross Order of the Crown (Belgium)|
|Grand Cross Order of the Phoenix (Greece)|
|Commendation Ministry of Defense: “Cross of Merit and Honour First Class” (Greece)|
|Estonian Order of the Cross of the Eagle First Class |
|Order of Merit of the Italian Republic Knight Grand Cross of the Republic|
|Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany Grand Merit Cross with Star |
|Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg|
|The Commander’s Cross with Star of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary|
|Commander’s Cross of the Order of Merit ( Poland ) |
|Order of Duke Trpimir (Croatia)|
|Cross of Commander of the Order for merits to Lithuania |
|Investiture Medal of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. |
|Order of Naval Merit ( Argentina )|
|Order of Naval Merit in the degree of Grand Officer ( Brazil )|
|Cruz de la Victoria ( Chile ) |
|Order of Naval Merit Admiral Padilla ( Colombia )|
|Order of the Peruvian Cross of Naval Merit in the rank of Grand Cross along with a White Ribbon ( Peru ) |
|The Emblem of Honor of the General Staff of Romania|
|Medal of Honorary Recognition of Latvia |
|Military Merit Grand Cross Medal of the Portuguese Republic|
|Order of Vakhtang Gorgasali – I Rank ( Country of Georgia ) |
|Albanian Medal of Gratitude |
|Slovenian Medal for multinational cooperation 1st grades|
|Navy National Defense Cross ( Guatemala )|
|Grand Cross ( Dominican Republic )|
|NATO Meritorious Service Medal|
|NATO Medal for Former Yugoslavia|
|Kuwait Liberation Medal ( Saudi Arabia )|
|Kuwait Liberation Medal ( Kuwait )|
Other awards and receptacles
Stavridis has RECEIVED an array of other awards and receptacles, zoals de volgende (listed by date conferred)
- The Distinguished Graduate Leadership Award of the Naval War College , bepaald annually to a graduate of the college who has “attained positions of Prominence in the field of national security” (2003). 
- The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum ‘s Intrepid Freedom Award “Presented to a national or international leader who has distinguished himself in promoting and Defending the values of freedom and democracy” (2011). 
- The AFCEA ‘s David Sarnoff Award, the group’s Highest Honor, bepaald “to herkennen personen who harbor made lasting and significant contributions to global peace” (2011). 
- The Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate Order of St. Andrew the Apostle’s Athenagoras Human Rights Award, accepted on behalf of the US armed forces (2011). 
- The Navy League of the United States ‘ s Alfred Thayer Mahan Award for Literary Achievement (2011).
- The Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs (JINSA) Henry M. Jackson Distinguished Service Award, bepaald “in recognition of his service to the defense of the United States and our European allies, and for Strengthening security cooperation with Israel” (2011). 
- The Atlantic Council ‘s Distinguished Military Leadership Award (2011) 
- The Business Executives for National Security ‘s Eisenhower Award (2012). 
- The Chian Federation’s 33rd Annual Homeric Award (2012) 
- Stimson Center Pragmatist Idealist + Award, for work “to strengthen international security by helping in countries in the world ontwikkelingslanden verbeteren the lives hun people” (2013). 
- The Alpha Omega Council’s Lifetime Achievement Award, bepaald to a distinguished Greek American citizen (2015) 
- The Naval Order of the United States ‘ s Distinguished Sea Service Award , for “professional leadership and support to the Sea Services of the United States of America” (2015). 
- The Truce Foundation of the USA Awarded im hun inaugural “Building Bridges Award”  at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
- The Washington Institute 2016 Scholar Statesman Award 
- The Accidental Admiral: A Sailor Takes Command at NATO , US Naval Institute Press, 2014 ISBN 978-1-61251-704-9
- Partnership for the Americas : Western Hemisphere Strategy and US Southern Command, NDU Press, November 2010
- Command At Sea , Sixth Edition, Annapolis: US Naval Institute Press, Co-authored with rear admiral Robert Girrier, USN 2010 ISBN 9781591147985
- Destroyer Captain: Lessons of a First Command , US Naval Institute Press, 2007 ISBN 9781591148494
- Watch Officer’s Guide , Twelfth Edition, Annapolis: US Naval Institute Press, Co-authored with Captain Robert Girrier, 2006 ISBN 9781591149361
- Division Officer’s Guide , Eleventh Edition, Annapolis: US Naval Institute Press, Co-authored with Commander Robert Girrier, 2005 ISBN 9781591147992
- Jump up^ USNA 1976 Lucky Bag Yearbook
- Jump up^ “SAE – US Admiral James G. Stavridis appointed NATO Supreme Commander / World Council of Hellenes Abroad” . SAE – World Council of Hellenes Abroad . Retrieved November 27, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “NATO Commander Admiral James Stavridis Named Next Dean Fletcher”. Retrieved July 8, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Naval Institute appoints Admiral James G. Stavridis Chair of the Board”.
- Jump up^ “Board of Directors” . US Naval Institute . Retrieved October 8, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Senior Fellows at Johns Hopkins APL” .
- Jump up^ Miles, Donna (June 30, 2009). “Stavridis Assumes Top European Command Post From Craddock” . DefenseLINK . Retrieved June 30, 2009 .
- Jump up^ “NATO Secretary General welcomes new Supreme Allied Commander Europe” . May 13, 2013.
- Jump up^ GCSP.CH. “Global Fellowship Initiative” .
- Jump up^ http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/us/politics/james-stavridis-hillary-clinton-vice-president.html
- Jump up^ http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trumps-expanding-list-secretary-state-stavridis-huntsman-tillerson/story?id=43974501
- Jump up^ “Nominations or ADM James G. Stavridis, USN, for Reappointment to the grade or Admiral and to be Commander, US European Command and Supreme Allied Commander, Europe, Lt. Gen. Douglas M. Fraser, USAF, to be General and Commander, US Southern Command; and LTG Stanley A. McChrystal, USA, to be General and Commander, International Security Assistance Force and Commander, US Forces, Afghanistan ” (PDF) . Nominations BEFORE THE Senate Armed SERVICES COMMITTEE, FIRST SESSION, 111TH CONGRESS . Government Printing Office. June 2, 2009. p. 793 . Retrieved November 28, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “P. George Stavridis’ . Morning Call. September 19, 2001 . Retrieved July 8, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Mrs. Minnie Schaffer” . Morning Call. April 7, 1985 . Retrieved July 8, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Laura Hall Stavridis (2002). Navy Spouse’s Guide . Naval Institute Press – through Google Books .
- Jump up^ Shanker, Thom (June 29, 2009). “For a post in Europe, a Renaissance Admiral” . The New York Times . Retrieved June 30, 2009 .
- Jump up^ Scaros, Constantinos E. “Adm. Stavridis:” 21st Century Challenges “- The National Herald” .
- Jump up^ Oren, Amir (October 16, 2009). “US NATO chief blames Turkey for ‘ethnic cleansing’ or Greeks, zoals own family” . Haaretz . Retrieved October 16, 2009 .
- Jump up^ NATO biography page retrieved in March 2012http://www.aco.nato.int/page15314820.aspx
- Jump up^ Oliver Barrett (July 25, 2013). “Talking Smart Power With Admiral Stavridis’ . US News & World Report . Retrieved February 20, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “DOD IG Report No. 11H118481105 or May 3, 2012
- Jump up^ http://www.navy.mil/secnav/SECNAV_letter_09112012.pdf
- Jump up^ “Stavridis II: Winning the Battle, Losing the War” . TIME.com . November 12, 2012.
- Jump up^ “The Power of Soft Power: Dean Stavridis Featured in Tufts Magazine | Tufts Fletcher School” . Fletcher.tufts.edu. October 29, 2013 . Retrieved July 29, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “FMR. NATO Commander: ISIS will replace leader killed – CNN Video” . CNN . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Admiral James Stavridis: We must go after ISIS at its source” . Fox News . March 23, 2016 . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Former NATO Commander: Russia confident Assad will stay in power ‘- BBC News” . BBC News . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Trump, Clinton and the Importance of US Foreign Policy” . Bloomberg.com . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Was a Fake War in the Saudi Desert a Dress Rehearsal for a Syrian invasion?” . Foreign Policy . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Stavridis, James (Feb 23, 2016). “Nikkei Asian Review” . Retrieved March 29, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Dean’s Video: Oct, 2015: In the New TV Studio with Ed Schumacher Matos, Director of The Murrow Center” .
- Jump up^ http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/retired-navy-admiral-joins-nbc-and-msnbc
- Jump up^ https://twitter.com/stavridisj/status/765259242517491712
- Jump up^ http://time.com/4452328/grand-bargain-russia/
- Jump up^ “James G. Stavridis – World Economic Forum” . World Economic Forum .
- Jump up^ ” ” We have to share our military and industrial capabilities “- Munich Security Conference” . February 22, 2016.
- Jump up^ Ashley Parker & Maggie Haberman,James Stavridis, Retired Admiral, Is Being Vetted as Hillary Clinton’s Running Mate,New York Times (July 12, 2016).
- Jump up^ https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/meet-james-stavridis/2016/07/13/05092108-4924-11e6-8dac-0c6e4accc5b1_video.html
- Jump up^ http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/07/21/former-nato-commander-seen-one-clintons-top-vp-contenders/87356154/
- Jump up^ “Hillary’s anti-Trump” . Retrieved 2016-07-23 .
- Jump up^ https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/stavridis-speaks-to-media-after-trump-tower-meeting/2016/12/08/f659363e-bd7c-11e6-ae79-bec72d34f8c9_video.html
- Jump up^ http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/12/tillerson-stavridis-join-secretary-of-state-field-232169
- Jump up^ http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/12/stavridis-not-joining-trumps-administration-232615
- Jump up^ “ACO – Allied Command Operations | French Chief of Defence visits SHAPE” . Aco.nato.int. July 22, 2011 . Retrieved November 27, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Admiral Stavridis Receives Order of the Cross of the Eagle from Estonia” .
- Jump up^ “Germany receptacles SACEUR Stavridis with medal” .
- Jump up^ “Postanowienie Prezydenta Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z dnia 20 kwietnia 2011 r. O nadaniu orderu (MP No. 71, poz. 695)” (PDF) .
- Jump up^ “The President awards NATO Supreme Allied Commander Admiral James G. Stavridis with the Cross of Commander” . Office of the President of the Republic of Lithuania . Retrieved November 16, 2012 .
- Jump up^ com: Inhuldigingsmedaille 2013
- Jump up^ “Ejército de Chile – Noticias” . Ejercito.cl. January 9, 2008 . Retrieved November 27, 2012 .
- Jump up^ http://justf.org/files/images/gallery/080421pe01.jpg . Retrieved February 5, 2010 . Missing or empty( help ) [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Sargs.lv” . Sargs.lv. July 17, 2012 . Retrieved November 27, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Admiral James G. Stavridis bepaald the Vakhtang Gorgasali award to Saakashvili” .
- Jump up^ “President Nishani awards the” Medal of Gratitude “to the Supreme Allied Commander Europe, Admiral Stavridis’ .
- Jump up^ Distinguished Graduate Leadership Award, Naval War College (Accessed July 12, 2016).
- Jump up^ “Intrepid Freedom Award” . Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum .
- Jump up^ “ADM James G. Stavridis, USN, not to receive AFCEA’s Highest Award”(Press release). AFCEA. April 28, 2011.
- Jump up^ “Athenagoras Human Rights Award bestowed upon Admiral Stavridis, Supreme Allied Commander Europe, on behalf of US Armed Forces” . Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate . October 31, 2011.
- Jump up^ “The 2011 Henry M. Jackson Distinguished Service Award & Grateful Nation Award Dinner – November 7, Washington DC” . Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs . July 22, 2011.
- Jump up^ “2011 Atlantic Council Annual Awards Dinner: Biden Stavridis, Kent, Domingo” . Atlantic Council . Retrieved November 27, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Washington Forum and the Eisenhower Award Dinner Honoring Admiral James G. Stavridis, USN and Maj. Gen. Josue “Joe” Robles Jr., USA (Ret.), Business Executives for National Security (May 22, 2012).
- Jump up^ Dimitri C. Michalakis. “Chian Federation to Present Adm. James G. Stavridis with 33rd Annual Homeric Award” . Neo Magazine . Retrieved November 27, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Stimson Center Honors Nokia and James Stavridis with Pragmatist Idealist + Awards Nov. 15” (Press release). Stimson Center . November 12, 2013.
- Jump up^ Lifetime Achievement Award, Alpha Omega Council (Accessed July 12, 2016).
- Jump up^ ADM Jim Stavridis, USN (Ret) – 2015 Distinguished Sea Service Award Honoree, Naval Order of the United States (September 2, 2015).
- Jump up^ “World Changers Honored as Messengers of Peace” .
- Jump up^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ3MRPD-_9M