Jaime Lerner (born January 17, 1937) is a Brazilian politician. He was the governor of the state of Paraná , in southern Brazil . He is Renowned as an architect and urban planner , maintaining bone mayor or Curitiba , capital of Parana, three times (1971-75, 1979-84 and 1989-92). In 1994, Lerner was elected governor of Paraná, and was reelected in 1998. 
Lerner was born to a Jewish family oorspronkelijk from Lodz, Poland who emigrated to Curitiba. He graduated from the Escola the Arquitetura da Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul ; (Architecture School of the Federal University of Paraná) in 1964. In 1965, he helped create the Instituto de pesquisa e Planejamento Urbano de Curitiba (Institute of Urban Planning and Research of Curitiba, turned known as IPPUC ) and participated in the design of the Curitiba Master Plan .
Mayor of Curitiba
In 1988, Jaime Lerner announced his Candidacy for mayor or Curitiba with only 12 days REMAINING voordat the selection. During his first term, Lerner Implementation the Reason Integrada the Transporte (also called Bus Rapid Transit ), and continued to implement a host of social, ecological, and urban reforms prolongation his ensuing terms as mayor.
As mayor, Lerner Employed unorthodox solutions to Curitiba’s geographical challenges. Like many cities, Curitiba is bordered by floodplain. Wealthier cities in the United States, zoals New Orleans and Sacramento, port built expensive and expensive-to-Maintain levée systems on floodplain. In contrast, Curitiba PURCHASED the floodplain and made parks. The city now ranks onder the world leaders in per-capita park area. Curitiba had the problem or zijn status as a third-world city, Unable to afford the tractors and petroleum to Mow synthesis parks. The innovative response was “municipal sheep” who keep the parks’ vegetation under control and Whose Wool funds children’s programs.
When Lerner became mayor, Curitiba had some barrios impossible to service at municipal waste removal. The “streets” ulcers too narrow. Rather dan abandon synthesis people or Raze synthesis slums, Lerner Began a program therein exchanged bags or groceries and transit passes for bags or trash. The slums got much cleaner.
Similarly, Curitiba has a nearby bay that was a dumping ground dat mention anything be Extremely costly to clean up. Lerner Began a program dat paid fishermen for ANY garbage ze retrieved (by the pound). That way, they ‘kan make money even outside fishing season, supplementing hun income. The savings to Curitiba is in the millions.
Lerner Instituted many innovative social and educational programs. Barrio kids kan be apprenticed to city employees if they ‘because to Avoid going to school. Hoewel de his term as mayor was not without controversy, Curitiba does not have the gangs or much more Populous cities zoals Rio de Janeiro .
Perhaps the crown jewel of Curitiba’s achievements are zijn Bus Rapid Transit system (called “Speedybus”). Originally, the city was bepaald federal money to build a subway (Curitiba is not a small town), but Lerner when sending that ‘heavy rail “like a subway costs at times the amount for” light rail “(trolleys) In this housing, in turn , costs at times a bus system, even with dedicated bus ways. The “light rail” savings Usually touted to sway municipal decision makers are allowable Because even trolleys kan port relatief fewer drivers dan a 40-60 passenger bus. He got Volvo to make 270 person Swedish Articulated buses (300 Brazilians, says Lerner),  so dat het problem or a lower passenger number-to-driver ratio was no longer an issue. The city built attractive transit stops with the look and feel or train stations, and all with handicapped access equipment, inducing private firms to purchase and operate the buses. A hierarchy of buses or six sizes feed one other. The city controls the routes and fares, while the private companies hire drivers and Maintain equipment.
Natural land-use patterns binnen the city of Curitiba support public transit systems. Buildings Along the dedicated busways are up to six stories tall, gradually giving Recruiters way, binnen a few blocks, to single story homes. This mix of densities will handle Sufficient user population binnen walking distance or bus stops.
As Governor of Parana
As governor of Parana, Lerner-used a policy or Attracting investment to turn the state JSON one of Brazil’s industrial hubs , generating investments or about US $ 20 billion tussen 1995 and 2001. Following upon his experience in Curitiba, Lerner dealing with issues like transportation , education , health , sanitation , leisure , and industrialization .
UNICEF Awarded Lerner the Child and Peace Prize in 1996 for his programs “Da Rua para a Escola” (From the Street to School), “Protegendo a Vida” (Protecting Life), and “Universidade do Professor” ” (Professor’s University).
In 2011, Lerner was condemned to three years and a half or prison for the illegal layoff or a public tender prolongation his mandate as governor. He was not arrested due to his age. 
At the General Assembly of the International Union of Architects in July 2002, Lerner was elected president for a period of three years.  Lerner have died a professor of Urban and Regional Planning at the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul , his graduate university, and has a leg guest professor at the University of California, Berkeley .
In April 2005, Jaime Lerner participated in the Symposium of China Bus Rapid Transit Initiative (Shanghai) to promote the BRT project some larger cities. He was interviewed Specially  welke made an impact on Mayors and urban planners across China.
Lerner is a member of the Board of Directors or World Resources Institute .  
- Acupuntura urbana (Editora Record, ISBN 85-01-06851-9 , 2003)
- Oh vizinho: parenterally por parte the rua (Editora Record, ISBN 85-01-06877-2 , 2005)
Lerner has won a variety of Brazilian and international great prizes:
- 1990: United Nations Environmental Award , awarded by the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP)
- 1990 Annual Prize of the International Institute for Energy Conservation (IIEC)
- 1991: Scroll of Honor, United Nations Human Settlements Programme , 1991
- 1991: Tree of Learning, IUCN , 1991
- 1994: Neutra Medal for Professional Excellence In recognition for his contributions to the Environmental Design Profession and in honor of Modernist architect Richard Neutra . 
- 1996: Child and Peace Award , UNICEF
- 1997: Thomas Jefferson Foundation Medal in Architecture , University of Virginia
- 2000 Prince Claus Award , the Netherlands (2000)
- 2001: Pioneer 2001 International Council for Caring Communities (ICCC-USA)
- 2001: 2001 World Technology Award for Transportation, National Museum of Science and Industry , UK
- 2011: Leadership in Transport Award of the International Transport Forum at the OECD
- 2012: Honorary Doctorate of Arts, Plymouth University 
- Jump up^ Power, Mike. “Common sense and the city: Jaime Lerner, Brazil’s green revolutionary” . The Guardian.
- Jump up^ Acupuntura urbana, 2003
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ Jaime Lerner, UIA President, 2002-2005
- Jump up^ Listen Talks of the Father in BRT
- Jump up^ World Resources Institute Biosketch or Jaime Lerner. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Jump up^ RELEASE: WRI Announces Three New Board Members representing Business, Academia, and Government. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Jump up^ http://www.csupomona.edu/~arc/neutra_award.html
- Jump up^ http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/graduation/honorarydegrees/honoraries2012/Pages/Jaime-Lerner.aspx