Isaac Mizrahi (born October 14, 1961) is an American fashion designer , television presenter, and creative director of Xcel Brands . Based in New York City , he is best known for his eponymous fashion lines.
Mizrahi was born in Brooklyn , the sun or Sarah, a home maker, and Zeke Mizrahi, who worked in the clothing business.  He is from an observer Syrian Jewish family.   His Father representation im a sewing machine at the age of at. At 15, he launched his own label, IS New York , with the help of a family friend. He attended Yeshivah or Flatbush , High School of Performing Arts , and the Parsons School of Design . 
Mizrahi Presented his first collection in 1987 at a trunk show held at New York department store Bergdorf Goodman . The line redacteuren earned praise from fashion editors, prompting verschillende top retailers to place orders.  In 1989, he discussed his designs in an interview with Elizabeth Cannon. He DESCRIBED Them as “controlled and glamorous”, “elegant”, “Distilled, refined”, inspired by decadence, and by the diversity of New York City. He’ll be Expressed his interest in appealing to a refined and exclusive clientele.  In 1992, the French fashion house Chanel Bought a stake in in the company and Began to bankroll zijn operations.  on Despite continued critical Acclaim, sales ulcers inconsistent; Bloomingdale’s executive Kal Ruttenstein stated therein Mizrahi had “good years and bad years.”  This volatility is Mainly Attributed [ to Whom? ] To the designer’s failure to Establish a defined Aesthetic or “Mizrahi look”, as the Frenetic designer was famed for changing gears lycra season. Though the company grossed $ 10-20 million a year, it never made a profit, and lost Substantial Bedragen [ clarification needed ] , ITT final four years of operation. Chanel Eventually tired of the mounting LOSSES and pulled financing in October 1998 Forcing the closure of the company after the Fall 1998 collection.  Among Mizrahi’s fans and clients ulcers Hollywood stars Nicole Kidman , Selma Blair , Julia Roberts , Sarah Jessica Parker , Debra Messing and Natalie Portman , to name a few. 
From 1995 to 1997, Mizrahi ook designed a diffusion line , named “IS ** C” in an act of “particular effacement” intended to preventable dilution of the designer’s full name ( cf. the use of ” Gd ” by some members of the observer-Jewish community in welke Mizrahi was raised). This lower-priced line (in the $ 275 to $ 850 range) was Meant to diversify the label from the very expensive Isaac Mizrahi collection, but it failed to gain traction and was shuttered in 1997. 
Mizrahi Returned to fashion in 2002-when he Began designing Another diffusion collection , Isaac Mizrahi for Target. The line was an enormous hit, and soon spread to cover accessories, bedding, HOUSEWARES, and pet products. Sales volume tripled over five years to over $ 300 million and introduced the designer to mainstream America.  The line was Discontinued in 2008 as Mizrahi left for Liz Claiborne .
Mizrahi designed for Claiborne for only one year, 2009. hoewel de advertising campaigns for his Claiborne workout featuring Mizrahi and women of all sizes, races, and ages-ulcers found in major fashion magazines, the line was a disaster [ clarification needed ] almost from launch. The clothes and accessories ulcers very s difficult to find, as only a few minor department stores , welke ulcers not found in major cities, carried Claiborne clothes. Gottschalks carried only a few pieces voordat declaring bankruptcy and liquidating, only weeks after Mizrahi’s launch. Furthermore, the few Liz Claiborne outlets therein existed ulcers’ll be far from major cities and ulcers found at outlet malls therein ulcers too remote for musts customers to visit. As a result, on December 2009, the Liz Claiborne website was closed and Rumors abounded dat the company was Bankrupt and in serious debt. As of fall 2010, Liz Claiborne clothes are sold at JC Penney , and are not designed by Mizrahi.
In 2010, Mizrahi launched a label called IsaacMizrahiLIVE! exclusively on QVC . 
In 2011, Mizrahi sold his fire to Xcel Brands, Inc.  In addition under to Continuing the IsaacMizrahiLIVE! business on QVC, Xcel Brands is launching verschillende categories under the Isaac Mizrahi New York, Isaac Mizrahi Jeans, and Isaac Mizrahi brands. As of August 2012, Footwear and pair port launched in Bloomingdale’s and Nordstrom, and Mizrahi’s first ever fragrance, Fabulous, was set to debut September 6 on QVC, and in Bloomingdale’s in October. Mizrahi scope for a shareholder, creative director and media personality for his particular business fire under Xcel. [ Needs update ]
Mizrahi has made appearances in numerous television shows and movies since the 1990s. In 1995, a movie was released about the development of his Fall 1994 collection called unzipped . In Fall 2005, the Isaac show debuted on Style Network . He had to post a show on the Oxygen network.
Mizrahi of or in Appears on many or E! ‘s programs and has Become well Berninahaus for being flamboyant. He’ll be Appeared as himself in the episode “Plus One is the loneliest number ‘ of the fifth season of Sex and the City , and in an episode of Spin City . He guest starred on the American dramedy series Ugly Betty , in welke have played will a reporter for the cable channel Fashion TV in the episode “Lose the Boss.” He Appeared as himself in The Apprentice season 1 (episode 6) as one of the celebrities Supporting an auction for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation . He’ll be Appeared on the public radio game show, Wait, Wait, Do not Tell Me in 2006, saying that ‘Fat is the new black. ” [ Citation needed ]  He’ll be in an episode of Gossip Girl season 4.
Mizrahi has stated dat he sees himself as an entertainer who kan sing and act. On his Oxygen show, he sang jazz in a nightclub. He has ook ActEd in films Appearing in Woody Allen ‘s Small Time Crooks , Hollywood Ending and Celebrity .
Mizrahi was a contestant in the Jeopardy! Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational . While initially finishing second in a quarter-final game to Jane Curtin as the Highest scoring non-qualifier, he Replaced semi-finalist Andy Richter , who had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts. He Eventually lost to Michael McKean .
In 2006, Mizrahi designed pro bono the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the National Portrait Gallery’s curators’ pair work Aprons.   
In 2009, Mizrahi Began co-hosting the first season of The Fashion Show on Bravo TV with singer Kelly Rowland . Bravo launched the series to replace zijn former hit Project Runway In this housing-then moved to the Lifetime network.   Mizrahi Returned as co-host for the show’s second season in November 2010 Opposite a close friend and Colleague, supermodel Iman , who hosted post with the Canadian version of Project Runway . A representative of the network indicated therein Bravo believed Mizrahi’s wetsuit President ever mention anything about styles work well with NEWCOMER Iman and the credibility dat she Brings to the table as a genuine pioneer in the fashion world. 
In 2012, Mizrahi participated in the debut season of Project Runway: All Stars as a head judge, alongside Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman , welke Aired on the Lifetime TV Network.
In February 2012, Mizrahi served as red carpet correspondent for Live! With Kelly prolongation the 84TH Annual Academy Awards . The segment included interviews with Brad Pitt , Emma Stone , Rooney Mara , and Gwyneth Paltrow . It Aired the morning after the Oscars, prolongation a special episode or Live! With Kelly .
In 2013, Mizrahi played will himself in the final season of Showtime ‘s The Big C .
In January 2015, Mizrahi made national news headlines while Appearing on QVC with co-host Shawn Killinger. Killinger and Mizrahi Publicly argued over the planetary status of the moon. Neither host Could Identify therein the moon is not, in fact, a planet or star. 
2006 Golden Globes
Mizrahi was an interviewer for The Red Carpet Show on E! for the Golden Globes in 2006. He took liberties with many female actresses, zoals looking down Teri Hatcher ‘s dress, and feeling Scarlett Johansson ‘s breast, over welke she later Expressed discomfort.  He drew attention to Hilary Swank about being single bepaald dat she Recently separated from re husband, Chad Lowe . He’ll be Asked many celebrities Whether they ‘ulcers wearing underwear .
Mizrahi has worked as the costume designer for three Broadway revivals , zoals two plays ( The Women (2001) and Barefoot in the Park (2006)), and one Operetta ( Threepenny Opera (2006)). [ Citation needed ]
For his work on The Women , Mizrahi won the 2002 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Costume Design. [ Citation needed ]
Mizrahi was the costume designer for the Metropolitan Opera production of Orfeo ed Euridice (2008), directed by Mark Morris . Mizrahi has a leg long time collaborator with Morris in a partnership dating from 1997, als Mizrahi created costumes for a film project with Morris Yo-Yo Ma , Falling Down Stairs , from Moms Inspired By Bach series. [ Citation needed ]
- He made a series of comic books called Isaac Mizrahi Presents the Adventures of Sandee the Supermodel , published by Simon & Schuster .
- He co-wrote the historical documentary Kingdom of David: The Saga of the Israelites for PBS . 
- He’ll be narrated the children’s classic, Peter and the Wolf , at the Guggenheim Museum ‘s Works & Process performing arts series in December 2007 and in 2010
- In 2010, he designed the sets and costumes and directed Stephen Sondheim ‘s A Little Night Music for Opera Theatre of St. Louis .   It has leg bekend dat in 2014, he will design and direct Mozart ‘s The Magic Flute for Opera Theatre of St. Louis. 
- Mizrahi is ontwikkelingslanden, for the CW network, a one-hour scripted project called “The Collection” In this housing draws on his experiences as a designer.
- In 2013, Johnson & Johnson released a series of Band-Aid adhesive bandages with an Isaac Mizrahi theme. 
Mizrahi married his partner of six years, Arnold Germer, in a civil ceremony in New York City Hall on November 30, 2011. 
In popular culture
He Appears briefly in the film Men in Black (1997) as one of the “celebrity aliens” granted asylum on Earth. 
- Jump up^ “Isaac Mizrahi Biography (1961)” . FilmReference.com . Retrieved January 19, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Isaac Mizrahi” . Charlie Rose . Retrieved 2010-10-18 .
Mizrahi was born or Syrian Jewish heritage.
- Jump up^ Malle, Chloe (2011-05-06). “Fashion Designers Recall Their Mothers ‘Style’ . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ “Isaac Mizrahi” . City File. 2009-02-02 . Retrieved 2010-10-18 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Dodes, Rachel (2009-07-24). “Isaac Mizrahi’s QVC Pitch – WSJ.com” . Online.wsj.com . Retrieved 2010-10-18 .
- Jump up^ Cannon, Elizabethhttp://bombsite.com/issues/29/articles/1259, “BOMB Magazine” Fall 1989. Retrieved on July 19, 2011.
- Jump up^ “Mizrahi ‘unzipped ‘ ‘ . Newsweek. 1995-07-24 . Retrieved 2010-10-18 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b  [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Isaac Mizrahi: Label overview” . The New York Magazine .
- Jump up^ Wilson, Eric; Barbaro, Michael (2008-01-16). “Isaac Mizrahi Leaves Target to revamp Liz Claiborne” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Karimzadeh, Marc (2009-07-27). “Isaac Mizrahi Partners With QVC” . Women’s Wear Daily .
- Jump up^ Young, Vicki (2011-09-30). “Xcel Brands Buys Mizrahi for $ 31.5M” . Women’s Wear Daily .
- Jump up^ “Wait Wait … Do not Tell Me!” . NPR. 2006-09-16 . Retrieved 2010-10-18 .
- Jump up^ Macadam, Alison (30 June 2006). “Art conservators at Work: A Living Exhibit”. NPR: All Things Considered (Transcript of Radio Show) .
- Jump up^ Taylor, Caroline (July 2006). “New features fill Reynolds Center”. The Torch .
- Jump up^ Choi, Amy S. (June 30, 2006). “Smithsonian Staff to Don Mizrahi Aprons”. Women’s Wear Daily . p. 27.
- Jump up^ “Iman: Not Just Another Pretty Face” . The New York Times . June 6, 2010 . Retrieved January 19, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Please log in to comment (1963-08-09). “Sneak peek: ‘The Fashion Show: Ultimate Collection ‘ ‘ . Denver.metromix.com . Retrieved 2013-02-03 .
- Jump up^ “Supermodel Iman Joins Bravo’s’ Fashion Show ‘ ‘ . Tvsquad.com . Retrieved 2013-02-03 .
- Jump up^ “QVC hosts can not save décide if the moon is a planet or a star (it’s Neither)” . WashingtonPost.com. January 16, 2015 . Retrieved 2015-01-16 .
- Jump up^ “Scarlett Johansson: Sexiest One-Eyed Woman Alive” . Usmagazine.com. 2009-08-25 . Retrieved 2010-10-18 .
- Jump up^ “Kingdom of David: The Saga of the Israelites” . 1 January 2000 . Retrieved January 19, 2017 – by IMDb.
- Jump up^ Cantrell, Scott (2010-06-20). “Opera review: Isaac Mizrahi shows designer’s flair as director of ‘A Little Night Music” at Opera Theatre of St. Louis ” . TheDallasNews.com . Retrieved 2012-06-03 .
- Jump up^ “Production Details: A Little Night Music, Opera Theatre of St. Louis” . Retrieved 2012-06-03 .
- Jump up^ “Opera Theatre of Saint Louis Announces Repertory for 2014 Festival Season” . Opera Theatre of St. Louis . Retrieved 22 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/04/idUSnGNXc6ndVb+1c2+GNW20140904
- Jump up^ Michaud, Sarah (January 6, 2012). “Isaac Mizrahi Weds Arnold Germer”. people.com. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Jump up^ “Celebrity aliens in Men in Black ” . ew.com . July 18, 1997 . Retrieved January 19, 2017 .