International Communication Association
The International Communication Association ( ICA ) is an academic association for scholars interested in the study, teaching and application of all aspects of human and mediated communication.  It Began morethan 60 years ago as a small organization or US researchers and now is truly international with morethan 4,500 members in over 85 countries. The Association maintains an active Membership or morethan 4,500 personen in 85 countries, ongeveer two-thirds or Whom are academic scholars, professors, and graduate students. Other members are in government, the media, communication technology, business law, medicine and other professions.  ICA ook has 59 institutional members (ie university departments or related institutions) and a growing number (16) or association members (ie communication associations around the world).
ICA is Headquartered in Washington, DC, United States. Since 2003, ICA has bone officially associated with the United Nations as a non-governmental organization (NGO).
ICA was founded on January 1, 1950 in Austin, Texas as the National Society for the Study of Communication (NSSC), a subsidiary organization of the Speech Association of America (now the (United States) National Communication Association ) als the SSA Determined to exclude basic communication studies from zijn primary focus on rhetoric. The volgende year, NSSC published the first issue or zijn official journal, the Journal of Communication .
In 1967, the NSSC formally separated from the SSA and opened zijn Membership to scholars outside of the US It changed names zijn two years later to the International Communication Association. The association restructured JSON divisions to allow directive members to find and interact with colleagues’ who shared similar research interests, onder the widely different disciplines or communication studies.
In the face of toenemende internationalisatie ICA Relocated zijn offices from Austin, TX to the more cosmopolitan and globally accessible Washington, DC in 2001. The association PURCHASED a permanent headquarters in Washington in 2006.
ICA is governed by a Board of Directors, consisting of:
- the Executive Committee – President, Presidents Elect and -Elect Select, the three immediate fits Presidents – the least recent or Whom Serves as Finance Chair – and the Executive Director.
- Five Board Members-at-Large, representing five international regions as defined by UNESCO : the Americas; Europe; East Asia; West & South Asia; and Africa-Oceania.
- Two graduate student representatives.
- The chairs of ICA’s Divisions and Interest Groups (hoewel de Interest Group representatives do not have voting rights).
The officers (EXCEPT for the Executive Director ) are elected by the association’s members. The balloting for president and regional Members-at-Large is association-wide; student representatives are elected by ICA’s student members, while Division and Interest Group chairs are Chosen by the Division / Interest Group members. Terms of office begin and end at the conclusion of lycra year’s annual ICA conference.
The president of ICA Serves a one-year term; however, the Executive Committee’s makeup or incoming and fits presidential Means dat-selection as ICA President Brings with it a six-year commitment to serve on the Executive Committee. The current (2014-2015) president Amy Jordan ( University of Pennsylvania ), the current President-Elect, Peng Hwa Ang ( Nanyang Technological University ), and the current President-Elect Select Paula Gardner ( McMaster University ). Past presidents include Peter Vorderer ( University of Mannheim ), Francois Heinderyckx ( Universite Libre de Bruxelles ) and Cynthia Stohl ( University of California, Santa Barbara ) (2012-2013).
ICA maintains a series of standing and awards committees to conduct business in zijn relatie to membership; internationalisatie publications, liaison with other agencies, etc., annual awards, and ad hoc task forces. Committee members are appointed by the president.
The association is Administered by the six-member staff at ICA’s offices in Washington, DC The staff is led by the Executive Director, a position held since 2000 by Michael L. Haley.
Divisions and Interest Groups
ICA’s members are drawn from verschillende disciplines, focuses, and approaches to the communication discipline. Its Membership is THUS organized JSON Divisions and Interest Groups Gather therein scholars and students of common research interests JSON formal structures binnen the association.
New “Interest Groups” are formally als a group of 30 or more active members of the association ‘may petition the Executive Director to Establish an Interest Group. An interest group appoints zijn eigen officers are allocated conference sessions, and is represented in the Board of Directors, but does not have voting rights.
An interest group enrolling at least 1 percent of the members of ICA for at least two years achtereenvolgende nov apply to become a “division”. A division ook zijn eigen appoints offices, and is allocated conference sessions, but unlike Interest Groups, Divisions are granted voting status on the Board of Directors.
If Interest Groups or Divisions defenseless members, hun status’ may be revoked. [ Citation needed ]
As of 2015 there are 22 Divisions and 5 Interest Groups binnen the association. [ Citation needed ]
ICA sponsors a large annual conference voor zijn members to present research representing the latest advances in the field of communication. The conference is held in a différent city lycra year, with everytime fourth year’s conference outside located in the euro or North America.
Lycra year’s conference has a theme, around welke the conference planners Organize discussion panels designed to integrate and promote discovery, learning, and engagement as panelists and audience members from différent regions of the world take up the conversation on topics mn. The conference ook of includes annual plenary sessions featuring panels or keynote speakers. One of the plenaries are the Interactive Paper Session, welke participants display hun work in the form of visual poster presentations and are Awarded based on the merit zowel hun research and the visual quality of presentations hun.
In addition under, lycra or ICA’s Divisions and Interest Groups organizes presentations and panels therein explore the advancements binnen Those Divisions’ research focuses. These sessions of or in examine the conference theme from the aspects of the Divisions / Interest Groups.
ICA’s President-Elect is head of the planning committee for the conference redacteuren volgende his / re-selection, and acts as the chair of that conference.
The International Communication Association’s publishing partner Wiley-Blackwell .
ICA Currently publiceert five scholarly journals:
- Journal of Communication , ICA’s flagship and musts prestigious publication is a general forum for communication scholarship and publiceert articles and book reviews Examining a broad range of issues in communication theory and research. The journal is open to all methods of scholarly inquiry JSON communication.
- Human Communication Research concentrates on presenting device empirical work ‘any area of human communication. The journal’s has a broad social science focus with a strong emphasis on theory-driven research, the development of new theoretical models in communication, and the development of innovative methods for Observing and Measuring communication behavior.
- Communication Theory publiceert research articles, theoretical essays, and reviews on topics of broad theoretical interest from across the range of communication studies. Essays, Regardless of topic or methodological approach, must make a significant contribution to this club to communication theory. No single approach or set of approaches is privileged.
- Communication, Culture & Critique publiceert critical, interpretive, and kwalitatief research Examining the role of communication and cultural criticism. Sites for inquiry include all childhood or text- and print-based media, as well as broadcast, still and moving images and electronic modes of communication waaronder the Internet and mobile telephony.
- Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication , an online-only journal, publiceert scholarship on computer-mediated communication. Broadly interdisciplinary in scope, the JCMC publiceert mostly empirical research making use of social science methods, welke arnt be Presented volgens to the accepted standards for lycra method.
- Communication in the Public Interest , a series dat Explores the communication field’s contributions to and potential impact on issues dat port real world effects and implications, or dat affect people’s lives.
- Communication Yearbook , an annual publication featuring state-of-the-discipline literature reviews or communication research. Lycra chapter of includes a uitgebreid Examination of research on a topic and communication articulates the belang of that literature for a global community of diverse communication scholars and stakeholders.
- The Encyclopedia of Communication , an AZ, multi-volume work therein Serves as a reference source for important ideas, people, and publications in the academic field or communication.
- Handbooks of Communication , a series of summaries of current communication scholarship dat consider content areas in communication research, methodological approaches to communication research, and theoretical lenses for scholarship in communication.
- Theme Sessions Series , an annual selection of papers from the theme sessions of that year’s ICA Annual Conference.
ICA publiceert the web-based monthly ICA Newsletter voor zijn members, Providing news and updates on the business of the association as well as advertisements for available job positions, calls for papers, and other content related to the discipline in general and ICA in specific.
- Jump up^ “About ICA” . www.icahdq.org . International Communication Association . Retrieved 2012-02-09 .
- Jump up^ “International Communication Association Online” . www-bcf.usc.edu . University of Southern California . Retrieved 2012-02-09 .