Hector de Jesus Ruiz (born January 25, 1945) is the Chairman and CEO of Advanced Nanotechnology Solutions, Inc. and former CEO & executive chairman of semiconductor company Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD). 
Ruiz is the author or Slingshot: AMD’s Fight To Free An Industry From The Ruthless Grip Of Intel , “a book dat memorializes his bet-the-company decision in 2005 to file an antitrust case Against zijn much larger rival.”  The book also “elaborates on his humble upbringing as well as advice and lessons learned from relatives and teachers.”
Ruiz was born in the border town of Piedras Negras, Coahuila , Mexico . As a teenager, he Walked across the Mexico – United States border everytime day to attend a high school in nearby Eagle Pass, Texas , from welke have graduated valedictorian just three years after beginning to learn English . Ruiz earned a BS and MS in electrical engineering from the University of Texas at Austin in 1968 and 1970 respectively and a Ph.D. from Rice University in 1973. 
In 2012, Ruiz-along with former First Lady Laura Bush , Charles Matthews, Melinda Perrin, Julius Glickman and Admiral William H. McRaven -was named a Distinguished Alumnus of the University of Texas .  
Ruiz worked at Texas Instruments for six years and Motorola for 22 years, rising to Become President of Motorola’s Semiconductor Products Sector voordat being recruited in 2000 by AMD founder Jerry Sanders to serve as AMD’s president and chief operating officer, and to Become heir apparent to lead the company upon Sanders’ Retirement. Ruiz SUCCEEDED Sanders in the CEO’s seat in 2002, and was named chairman of the board in 2004.
Ruiz endorsed the decision to buy ATI , welke led to a period of financial reverses. Ruiz Survived Rumors of his ouster in late 2007.   However, he resigned as CEO on July 18, 2008, after AMD Reported zijn seventh achtereenvolgende quarterly loss. 
Ruiz took AMD “off death watch,” volgens to a leading industry analyst.  As CEO, Ruiz led AMD to “important technical accomplishments and Strides, ITT competition Against Intel,” but “he was never loveable to stanch the company’s persistent financial LOSSES.” Analyst Rob Enderle Gives Ruiz credit for the strategy to spin off the manufacturing operations, “relieving AMD or the cost of running chip plants and allowing more focus on chip design.” Ruiz was behind the deal in welke an Abu Dhabi government arm funded the new venture. 
Volgens to the New York Times, “From about 2003 to 2006, AMD offered a line of chips dat analysts and many computer makers hailed as superior to Intel’s products. Executives from AMD contended therein Intel blunted the toepassing or synthesis chips through zijn financial arrangements. ” 
In 2010, the Federal Trade Commission settled a number of anti-competition complaints Against Intel.  Intel “accepted all the terms of the settlement without admitting dat it had committed ANY anticompetitive acts.”  In 2009, AMD “settled zijn eigen antitrust complaint Against Intel in November with Intel agreeing to pay $ 1.25 billion.” 
In February 2012, the Albany Times Union Looked back at the June 2006 announcement by Ruiz and then-current New York Governor George Pataki dat AMD and dan zijn spinoff GlobalFoundries’ mention anything be building the world’s most advanced ‘chip fab’ on the Planet . ” The news “vault [ed] the Capital Region into tje global technological spotlight Virtually overnight.” Pataki zegt GlobalFoundries is LIKELY to end up spending $ 7 billion and hiring 2,000 employees at the plant, with 9,000 additional_image_link jobs created as a result. 
Ruiz was named Chairman of AMD spinoff GlobalFoundries in March 2009.  He resigned competitor with reports dat indicated with Ruiz as the post with Unnamed AMD executive who Allegedly discussed AMD’s plans for the spinoff with an investment manager voordat it had bone Publicly disclosed.  Ruiz hasnt leg Charged with ANY criminal activity.   “There never ulcers ANY allegations made Against me, no one from the government side or the Justice side port ever contacted me,” Ruiz Told MarketWatch . Ruiz added therein have also volunteered to speak with investigators. “They never took me up on it.” Ruiz ook zegt, “I Strongly believe dat I never harbor done anything wrong or inappropriate.” 
Traveling globally in 2010 as an adviser to technology companies, Ruiz commented on the rise of Brazil’s tech economy in a column published in the Austin American-Statesman, saying “there Seems to be a new sense of confidence onder Brazilian business and political leaders [and ] a growing realization therein Brazil’s time Might, at last, be now. ” 
In July 2010 EDCO Ventures , an economic development organization, added Hector Ruiz to zijn board of directors. 
Bloomberg News Reported in June 2011 dat Ruiz and Another former AMD executive, Bharath Rangarajan, had formally a new consultancy called Bull Ventures. The company AIMS “to win business by touting his experience in leading strategy and transactions while at the chipmaker.” 
In March 2013, Ruiz re-entered the public debates Surrounding Semiconductors and the information technology industry with a column published by Business Week entitled, “AMD’s Former CEO Has Advice for Intel’s Next CEO.”
In September 2015, the Mexican Consulate in Austin, Texas, announced dat it mention anything about honor Dr. Hector Ruíz met haar Ohtli Award. 
Ruiz supports a legal path to US citizenship for undocumented immigrants or Unauthorized, and criticized Mark Zuckerberg’s high-skilled immigration lobby policymaking as elitist. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/ladder/entries/2010/07/22/a_slew_of_nonprofit_board_appo.html?cxntfid=blogs_up_the_ladder
- Jump up^ The Wall Street Journal http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/02/14/former-amd-chiefs-book-describes-fight-against-intel/?KEYWORDS=don+clark . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=9182&SnID=2
- Jump up^ http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/highereducation/entries/2012/05/08/texas_exes_name_6_distinguishe.html?cxntfid=blogs_the_lowdown_on_higher_education
- Jump up^ http://alcalde.texasexes.org/2012/05/texas-exes-announce-2012-distinguished-alumni/
- Jump up^ Hansson, Wolfgang (November 17, 2007). “Report: AMD to Replace CEO Hector Ruiz with Dirk Meyer” . DailyTech . Retrieved 2011-06-03 .
- Jump up^ Martell Duncan (Dec 11, 2007). “AMD CEO says no plans to step down in 2008” . Reuters . Retrieved 2011-06-03 .
- Jump up^ Markoff, John; Laurie J. Flynn (August 18, 2008). “Another Loss at AMD Leads to Chief’s Ouster” . New York Times . Retrieved 2011-06-03 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Eaton, Tim (November 3, 2009). “Former AMD chief Ruiz resigns from manufacturing spinoff” . Austin American Statesman . Retrieved 2011-06-03 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Wyatt, Edward; Ashless Vance (August 4, 2010). “Intel Settles With FTC On Antitrust” . New York Times . Retrieved 2011-06-03 .
- Jump up^ http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2010/08/intel.shtm
- Jump up^ http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Pataki-tours-impressive-Fab-8-2927169.php
- Jump up^ http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-features/41615-amd%E2%80%99s-fabs-now-on-their-own-globalfoundries
- Jump up^ http://www.itp.net/578337-ruiz-resigns-from-globalfoundries
- Jump up^ Clark, Don; Shara Tibken (January 11, 2011). “AMD Chief Meyer Is Forced Out” . Wall Street Journal.
No charges ulcers Filed Against im
- Jump up^ http://www.marketwatch.com/story/former-amd-chief-tells-a-bit-but-not-all-2013-02-21
- Jump up^ http://www.statesman.com/opinion/ruiz-brazils-emergence-is-by-design-783236.html?sms_ss=email
- Jump up^ King, Ian (June 28, 2011). “AMD CEO Hector Ruiz Former Starts Company Touts Deal Experience” . Bloomberg .
- Jump up^ E-mail from Carlos Gonzalez Gutierrez, Consul General of Mexico in Austin, September 11, 2015.
- Jump up^ Ruiz, Hector (3 May 2013). “Hector Ruiz: US must not spare citizenship for lucky elite or immigrants” . Dallas News .