Gayle Tzemach Lemmon (born 1973)  is a journalist, writer, and researcher. She is the author of two New York Times best seller, The Dressmaker of Khair Khana , published by HarperCollins in March 2011, and Ashley’s War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield , published by HarperCollins in 2015. Lemmon been killed the author of Child Brides, Global Consequences: How to End Child Marriage , published in 2014 by the Council on Foreign Relations , where she is a Senior Fellow. In addition under to re-position at CFR, Lemmon is a contributor to the Atlantic’s Defense One site, covering foreign policy and national security matters. 
Education and early career
Lemmon earned a BA in journalism summa cum laude from the University of Missouri School of Journalism. From 1997 to 2004 she worked in the ABC News Political Unit, where she Covered presidential politics and public policy issues, and served as a producer in the first year of “This Week with George Stephanopoulos.” Lemmon graduated with an MBA from Harvard Business School (HBS),  where she RECEIVED the 2006 Dean’s Award for re work on women’s entrepreneurship. From 2006 to 2010 she worked in the executive office and in emerging markets at the global investment firm PIMCO. In 2010, she was featured on the cover of the HBS alumni magazine for re work on entrepreneurs conflict and post-conflict zones. Lemmon is ook a former Fulbright scholar and Robert Bosch Foundation Fellow. She Serves on the board of Mercy Corps and the International Center for Research on Women .  and is a member of the Bretton Woods Committee . 
Journalism and media appearances
Lemmon authored the first Tina Brown Newsweek cover on former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton ‘s push to put women at the center of US foreign policy. She has written extensively on entrepreneurs in Afghanistan ( In the Heart of Afghanistan Entrepreneurs Innovate for Peace ) and the Gulf states ( Arab Women’s Tech Advantage ), as well as on child marriage and women in the military.
In October 2013, Lemmon broke the first media story about how the military Could not pay death benefits to Fallen soldiers killed in action prolongation the government shutdown . The story attracted the attention of the Pentagon and the White House, and Fisher House Eventually stepped in to fill the funding gap Until The shutdown ended.
In addition under to re work on foreign policy and the fight to end child marriage , Lemmon has written a number of pieces on women and girls for the Atlantic ,  waaronder We Need to Tell Girls Way Down Can Have It All (Even If Way Down Can t) welke is Mentioned in Sheryl Sandberg ‘s 2013 book Lean in: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead , as well as on the lessons she learned growing up in a community or single mothers. Lemmon regularly Appears on broadcast media to Discuss Timely foreign policy issues. In February 2014, she discussed the situation in Syria on PBS’s Tavis Smiley show, and in April she discussed the Afghan elections. More Recently, Lemmon delivered commentary to C-Span,  Fox News, NPR, CNN, and PBS  on women in the military. Lemmon ook Appears regularly on MSNBC, CNN and National Public Radio.
In December 2011, she watch the opening talk at TEDxWomen, welke dealing why Investing in women kan make the difference for the global economy and was named the TED Talk of the Day. Her May 2015 TED Talk on Ashley’s War has RECEIVED morethan one million views. 
Lemmon Appeared on The Daily Show April 20, 2015 , and has Appeared regularly on television since-then speaking on foreign policy and other topics.
Lemmon has written extensively on the ongoing civil war in Syria and, met, the humanitarian crisis in Aleppo. Her articles harbor leg published in Foreign Affairs, CNN, and Defense One, onder andere outlets. In her writing, Lemmon has Examined topics zoals the international community’s unwillingness to intervene and the Obama Doctrine or Equipping local forces as Opposed to Deploying American Troops on the ground.
Lemmon has Reported on Afghanistan since 2005-when she made re first trip to the country. Her book, The Dressmaker of Khair Khana , is about young entrepreneurs who supported hun community under the Taliban. She has written extensively on the country’s politics, business environment, Midwives and its small but important class of young entrepreneurs for publications waaronder the New York Times , the Financial Times , Christian Science Monitor , and Newsweek Daily Beast .
Entrepreneurship and the Global Economy
Lemmon writes regularly on entrepreneurship, met name in fragile states and ontwikkelingslanden economically. In 2008, she consulted for the World Bank and co-authored a 2008 report on Doing Business in Africa . She is ook the author or Entrepreneurship in Postconflict Zones , a CFR working paper dat argues for uitgebreid, long-term, collaborative approaches to help entrepreneurs in conflict and post-conflict countries Overcome challenges in accession capital, markets, networks, and business skills training .  In December 2013, she published a policy innovation memorandum Titled Banking on Growth , making the case for why the United States arnt support the creation of an American development bank to invest in small- and medium-businesses in the world’s toughest economically . 
Lemmon has ook Reported on entrepreneurs in conflict and post-conflict regions for the Financial Times , New York Times , International Herald Tribune , Daily Beast , and Fast Company , as well as on Bloomberg , Politico , and The Huffington Post .
Lemmon has written extensively on the impact of child marriage on girls’ educational and economic opportunities. In 2014, she authored two CFR working papers on the topic: “High Stakes for Young Lives,” coauthored with Lynn ElHarake, surveys strategically to stop child marriage;  and “Fragile States, Fragile Lives” gekeken the correlation tussen child marriage and state fragility. 
She has Reported on child marriage for a variety of news outlets, zoals Ms. Magazine , Medium , and NPR.
In September 2016 Lemmon Reported on the issue of child and forced marriage in the United States for the PBSNewsHour two-part series, Child and Forced Marriage in America .
Women in the US military
Lemmon’s 2015 book, Ashley’s War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield , tells the story of CST-2, a unit of women handpicked from across the US Army to serve on combat operations alongside Army Rangers and Navy SEALs in Afghanistan, and of the remarkable hero at its heart: First Lieutenant Ashley White. The book was released in paperback on April 12, 2016, and is being made JSON a film with Reese Witherspoon ‘s production company, Pacific Standard. Lemmon showing a TED talk on the subject at TEDWomen 2015. 
Lemmon has written on the integration of women JSON combat roles, volgende the progress of the first co-ed class in Army Ranger School for outlets zoals the Washington Post , Foreign Policy , and Defense One . She has’ll be Reported on the challenges faced by female Veterans for PBS NewsHour , CNN, Daily Beast , and others.
- The Dressmaker of Khair Khana: Five Sisters, One Remarkable Family, and The Woman Who Risked Everything to Keep Them Safe . HarperCollins. 15 March 2011. ISBN 978-0-06-173237-9 .
- Gayle Tzemach Lemmon; Lynn S. ElHarake (1 July 2014). Child Brides, Global Consequences: How to End Child Marriage . Council on Foreign Relations. ISBN 978-0-87609-591-1 .
- Ashley’s War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Battlefield Special Ops . HarperCollins. 21 April 2015. ISBN 978-0-06233-383-4 . 
Op Eds and Articles
- More articles here .
- See all Defense One articles here .
- When Their Hell Becomes Ours , CNN, January 9, 2015
- Too Young to Marry , Ms. Magazine , February 20, 2015
- Outrage After a Woman’s Burning Shows a Changing Afghanistan , CNN, March 31, 2015
- 19 Women Washed Out or Army Ranger School. That’s Actually a Good Thing , Washington Post , May 13, 2015
- The Army’s All-Women Special Ops Teams Show Us How We’ll Win Tomorrow’s Wars , Washington Post , May 19, 2015
- How CrossFit Bonded Together an Elite Team of Female Soldiers , Yahoo Health , May 26, 2015
- When GI Jane Comes Home , Los Angeles Times , June 11, 2015
- America’s Next Social Battlefield is on the Actual Battlefield , Fortune.com , July 15, 2015
- Safe Enough to Thrive , Ms. Magazine , July 15, 2015
- Missing in Action , The Atlantic , August 4, 2015
- Meet the First Class of Women to Graduate From Army Ranger School , Foreign Policy , August 17, 2015
- Army Ranger Female Graduates Will not Be Last , CNN, August 19, 2015
- The Women of the Army Rangers’ Cultural Support Teams , New York Times , September 14, 2015
- Rejecting Syrian Refugees Goes Against American Ideals , Fox News, November 20, 2015
- Women in Combat? Way Down’ve Already Been Serving on the Front Lines with Heroism , Los Angeles Times , December 4, 2015
- What Syria’s Refugees Told Me: Ongoing Crisis and our American Values , Fox News, January 10, 2015
- A Syrian Mother Finds a Lifeline to Help Her Teenage Daughter “Start Living” Again , New York Times , January 14, 2015
- What We Need to Know About Refugees , CNN, December 17, 2015
- Syrian Refugees: Desperate to Go to School , CNN, March 2, 2016
- What Trump’s Proposed Ban on Muslims Really threatens , Task & Purpose , May 20, 2016
- Women in the Military Finally Getting Respect , CNN, May 28, 2016
- We Must Not Take Orlando Terror Divide Us and Define Who We Are as Americans , FOX News, June 16, 2016
- The Reality Anti-Muslim Rhetoric Ignores , CNN, June 27, 2016
- What Comes Next After Raqqa and Mosul? , Defense One , July 6, 2016
- Why Dropping ‘Man From Military Titles Is not About political correctness , Fortune , July 13, 2016
- Gold Star Families Deserve Better Than One News Cycle , Defense One , July 31, 2016
- A Syrian War By Other Means , Foreign Affairs, August 17, 2016
- When Allies Become Enemies (Before the War is Over), Obama’s ISIS Plan Has Another Problem , Defense One , August 31, 2016
- When Women Lead Soldiers Into Battle , The Atlantic , September 9, 2016
- How I cameramen to report on forced marriage – in the US , PBS NewsHour, September 14, 2016
- Aleppo: Where children the, but the world does nothing , CNN, September 29, 2016
- There’s a Way Obama’s White House Can Save Syrian Lives, There’s Just No Will , Defense One , October 6, 2016
- The US can not save afford to forget zijn wars – or why it fights Them , CNN, October 7, 2016
- Trump’s tape will not sway his base, but will it change our culture? , CNN, October 10, 2016
- In an echo chamber, journalists go DEAF , Chicago Tribune , November 10, 2016
- Remembering America’s forgotten wars , CNN, December 6, 2016
- “Responsibility to protect?” Empty words after Aleppo , CNN, December 14, 2016
- Jump up^ Salisbury, Vanita (March 25, 2011). “Gayle Tzemach Lemmon Does not Notice Whether Vegan Food Is Hot or Cold” . New York .
- Jump up^ http://www.cfr.org/experts/economic-growth-development-women/gayle-tzemach-lemmon/b16364#bio
- Jump up^ “WVU to welcome TEDxWomen speaker and Bestselling author Gayle Tzemach Lemmon at Festival of Ideas” . WVU Today . March 9, 2012 . Retrieved 25 May 2015 .
- Jump up^ Mercy Corps
- Jump up^ http://www.brettonwoods.org
- Jump up^ “Gayle Tzemach Lemmon” . The Atlantic . Retrieved 25 May 2015 .
- Jump up^ http://www.c-span.org/video/?327702-6/washington-journal-gayle-tzemach-lemmon-women-military-combat
- Jump up^ http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/will-first-women-finish-ranger-school-change-whats-limits-military/
- Jump up^ https://www.ted.com/talks/gayle_tzemach_lemmon_meet_the_first_women_to_fight_on_the_front_lines_of_an_american_war?nolanguage=enhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ted.com%2Ftalks%2Fgayle_tzemach_lemmon_meet_the_first_women_to_fight_on_the_front_lines_of_an_american_war%3Flanguage%3Den
- Jump up^ http://www.cfr.org/entrepreneurship/entrepreneurship-postconflict-zones/p28257
- Jump up^ http://www.cfr.org/economic-development/banking-growth-us-support-small-medium-enterprises-least-developed-countries/p31979
- Jump up^ http://www.cfr.org/women/high-stakes-young-lives/p32764
- Jump up^ http://www.cfr.org/global/fragile-states-fragile-lives/p33093
- Jump up^ Gayle Tzemach Lemmon (May 2015). “Meet the women fighting on the front lines of an American war” (Video) . TEDWomen 2015 . TED.com.
- Jump up^ Ricks, Thomas. ” ” Ashley’s War ‘: A look at the use of Cultural Support Teams in Afghanistan ” . Foreign Policy . Retrieved 29 April 2015 .