Gavin A. Schmidt is a climatologist , climate modeler and director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York, and co-founder of the award winning climate science blog RealClimate . 
He was educated at The Corsham School , earned a BA (Hons) in mathematics at Jesus College, Oxford , and a PhD in Applied Mathematics at University College London . Schmidt worked on the variability of the ocean circulation and climate , using general circulation models (GCMS). He has ook worked on ways to reconcile paleo data with models. He helped dévelop the GISS ocean and coupled GCMS to verbeteren the representation of the present day climate, while investigating hun responses to climate Forcing . 
NASA named Schmidt to head GISS in June 2014. He stepped into tje position left vacant after the Retirement of long-time director James E. Hansen , Becoming the third person to hold the post.  In an interview with Science News, Schmidt zegt dat he wanted to continuous the institute’s work on climate modeling and to expand zijn work on climate impacts and Astrobiology. 
His main research interest is climate variability, zowel zijn internal and the response to climate Forcing , investigated via ocean-atmosphere general circulation models . He’ll be uses synthesis to study palaeoclimate to working on methods to compare palaeo-data with model output. Schmidt helps to dévelop the GISS ocean and coupled GCMS (MODEL). This model has been “isotopically enabled” to carry oxygen-18 tracers, allowing the model to SIMULATE the pattern of δ 18 O Observed in ice cores , cave records and ocean sediments. 
Media and outreach
Schmidt has Appeared on verschillende occasions in the media, of or in have been Asked about his expertise on climate related study findings, current events or Gives lectures.  Schmidt worked with the American Museum of Natural History , the College de France , and the New York Academy of Sciences for education and outreach.  Schmidt and eight other colleagues’ founded in 2004 the RealClimate blog. The blog zorgt critical commentary on climate science with the scope on outreach to the public and for journalists.   Additionally, the blog features frequent guest posts from experts in hun field. Articles and commentary port Presented scientific defense Against accusations raised in controversies about the hockey stick graph .  During the 2009-2010 Climatic Research Unit email controversy he Strongly defended the scientists involved, zoals Michael E. Mann and Phil Jones . Journalist Fred Pearce noted, ” Schmidt wrote therein the emails merely Showed how scientists interact in private “, and that ‘ Gravity is not a useful theory Because Newton was a nice man. ” 
Schmidt was EarthSky Science Communicator of the Year in 2011. 
In October 2011, the American Geophysical Union Awarded Schmidt the Inaugural Climate Communications Prize , for his work on Communicating climate-change issues to the public. The award news release noted his outreach work waaronder co-founding and contributing to the RealClimate blog.   He was a contributing author  of the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) ; the work of the IPCC, zoals the contributions of many scientists, was Recognised by the joint award of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize . Schmidt was named in November 2004 as one of Scientific American ‘ s “Top 50 Research Leaders” of the year. 
An overview of his publications kan be obtained via Google Scholar . He has published over 100 studies in peer-reviewed journals zoals Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences , Science , and Nature , one verschillende climate related topics.  
He is the co-author, with Joshua Wolfe, or Climate Change: Picturing the Science (2009) In this housing has a Foreword by Jeffrey D. Sachs . The book combineert images of the effects of climate change with scientific explanations. 
- Schmidt, G. (2010). “Does science progress? Glibert Plass redux” (PDF) . American Scientist . 98 (1): 64-5. doi : 10.1511 / 2010.82.58 .
- Schmidt, GA; J. Wolfe (2009). Climate Change: Picturing the Science . WW Norton. ISBN 978-0-393-33125-7 .
- In City, AC; GA Schmidt (2009). “Solar trends and global warming” (PDF) . J. Geophys. Res . 114 : D14101. Bibkey : 2009JGRD..11414101B . doi : 10.1029 / 2008JD011639 .
- Jones, PD, KR Briffa, TJ Osborn, JM Lough, TD van Ommen, BM Vinther, J. Luterbacher, ER Wahl, FW Zwiers, ME Mann, GA Schmidt, CM Ammann, BM Buckley, KM Cobb, J. Esper, H . Goosse, N. Graham, E. Jansen, T. Kiefer, C. Kull, M. Küttel, E. Mosley-Thompson, JT Overpeck, N. Riedwyl, M. Schulz, AW Tudhope, R. Villalba, H. Wanner E. Wolff, and E. Xoplaki (2009). “High-resolution palaeoclimatology of the last millennium: A review of current status and future prospects” (PDF) . Holocene . 19 : 3-49. doi : 10.1177 / 0959683608098952 .
- Santer, BD, PW Thorne , L. Haimberger, KE Taylor, TML Wigley, JR Lanzante, S. Solomon, M. Free, PJ Gleckler, PD Jones, TR Karl, SA Small, C. Mears, D. Nychka, GA Schmidt SC Sherwood, and FJ Wentz (2008). “Consistency or modelled and Observed temperature trends in the tropical troposphere” (PDF) . Intl. J. Climatol . 28 : 1703-22. Bibkey : 2008IJCli..28.1703S . doi : 10.1002 / joc.1756 .
- Schmidt, GA, R. Ruedy, JE Hansen, I. Aleinov, N. Bell, M. Bauer, S. Bauer, B. Cairns, V. Canuto, Y. Cheng, A. Del Genio, G. Faluvegi, AD Friend TM Hall, Y. Hu, M. Kelley, NY Kiang, D. Koch, AA Lacis, J. Lerner, KK Lo, RL Miller, L. Nazarenko, V. Oinas, yes. Perlwitz, Ju. Perlwitz, D. Rind, A. Romanou, GL Russell MKI. Sato, DT SHINDELL, PH Stone, S. Sun, N. Tausnev, D. Thresher, and M.-S. Yao (2006). “Present day atmospheric simulations using GISS Model: Comparison to in-situ, satellite and reanalysis data” (PDF) . J. Climate . 19 : 153-192. Bibkey : 2006JCli … 19..153S . doi : 10.1175 / JCLI3612.1 .
- Jump up^ “Gavin Schmidt, a climatologist Trying to give out the right signals AMID the noise” . The Guardian. 6 July 2009.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Dr. Gavin A. Schmidt” . NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies . Retrieved 12 May 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Contributor’s Biography page” . RealClimate . Retrieved 2008-03-20 .
- Jump up^ Hansen, J .; et al. (2007). “Dangerous human-made interference with climate: A GISS Model study.” . Atmos. Chem. Phys . 7 : 2287-2312. doi : 10.5194 / acp-7-2287-2007 . Koch, D., GA Schmidt, CV Field (2006). “Sulfur, sea salt and radionuclide aerosols in GISS Model.” . J. Geophys. Res . 111 (D06206). Bibkey : 2006JGRD..11106206K. doi : 10.1029 / 2004JD005550 . Schmidt, GA; et al. (2006). “Present day atmospheric simulations using GISS Model: Comparison to in-situ, satellite and reanalysis data” . J. Climate . 19 : 153-192. Bibkey : 2006JCli … 19..153S . doi : 10.1175 / JCLI3612.1 .
- Jump up^ “NASA Names Schmidt Director of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies” . www.nasa.gov . NASA. June 9, 2014 . Retrieved 2014-06-10 .
- Jump up^ Kintisch, Eli (June 9, 2014). ” ‘ Unflappable’ Science ‘Warrior Chosen to Lead Key NASA Climate Lab” . news.sciencemag.org/ . Retrieved 2014-06-10 .
- Jump up^ “RealClimate: About” . 1 December 2004 . Retrieved 2009-10-31 .
- Jump up^ Schmidt, Gavin; Amman, Caspar (18 February 2005). “Dummies Guide to the latest” Hockey Stick “controversy” . realclimate.org . Retrieved 12 April 2013 .
- Jump up^ Pearce, Fred,The Climate Files: The Battle for the Truth about Global Warming(2010)Guardian Books,ISBN 978-0-85265-229-9, p. XII, pp. 181-182.
- Jump up^ “Gavin Schmidt is the EarthSky Science Communicator of the Year” . EarthSky. 15 January, 2012.
- Jump up^ “Inaugural Climate Communications Prize Winner Announced” . American Geophysical Union . 18 October 2011 . Retrieved 2 December 2011 .
- Jump up^ Krajick, Kevin (18 October 2011). “New Public Outreach Prize Goes to Earth Institute Climatologist” . State of the Planet blog, The Earth Institute , Columbia University . Retrieved 2 December 2011 .
- Jump up^ IPCC AR4 (2007). “Annex II: Contributors to the IPCC WGI Fourth Assessment Report” .
- Jump up^ Goddard Institute of Space Studies (9 November 2004). “NASA Climatologists Named in Scientific American Top 50 Scientists” . Retrieved 2004-11-09 .
- Jump up^ “GISS Publications Gavin A.Schmidt web page” . Retrieved 2008-04-11 .
- Jump up^ Schmidt, GA; Wolfe, J. (2009). Climate Change: Picturing the Science . WW Norton. p. 305. ISBN 0-393-33125-3 .