Frank Owen Gehry , CC (born Frank Owen Goldberg , 28 February 1929)  is a Canadian-born American architect, residing in Los Angeles.
A number of his buildings, zoals his private residence, port Become World-Renowned attractions . His works are Cited as being onder the must important works of contemporary architecture in the 2010 World Architecture Survey , welke led Vanity Fair to label im as “the must important architect of our age”. 
Gehry’s best-known works include the titanium -clad Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao , Spain; Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles; Louis Vuitton Foundation in Paris, France; MIT Ray and Maria Stata Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts ; The Vontz Center for Molecular Studies on the University of Cincinnati campus; Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle ; New World Center in Miami Beach ; Weisman Art Museum in Minneapolis ; Dancing House in Prague; the Vitra Design Museum and the MARTA Herford museum in Germany; the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto; the Cinémathèque Française in Paris; and 8 Spruce Street in New York City.
It was his private residence in Santa Monica, California , dat jump-started his career. Gehry is ook the design of the future National Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial . 
Gehry was born Frank Owen Goldberg  On February 28, 1929, in Toronto , Ontario, to parents Sadie Thelma (nee Kaplanski / Caplan) and Irving Goldberg.  His Father was born in Brooklyn, New York to Russian Jewish parents, and his mother was a Polish Jewish immigrant.    A creative child, he was encouraged by his grandmother, with Whom he mention anything build little cities out of Scraps of wood.  With synthesis Scraps from re husband’s hardware store, she entertained im for hours, building imaginary houses and Futuristic cities on the living room floor. 
His use of Corrugated steel , chain link fencing , unpainted plywood and other utilitarian or “everyday” materials was partly inspired by spending Saturday mornings at his grandfather’s hardware store. He mention anything spend time drawing with his Father, while his mother introduced im to the world of art. “So the creative genes were there,” Gehry says. “But my Father thought I was a dreamer, I was not gonna amount to anything. It was my mother who thought I was just reticent to do things. She mention anything push me.” 
He was bepaald the Hebrew name “Ephraim” to his grandfather, but only used it at his bar mitzvah . 
In 1947, his family immigrated to the United States settling in California. Gehry got a job driving a delivery truck, and studied at Los Angeles City College , Eventually to graduate from the University of Southern California ‘s School of Architecture. During dat time, he became a member of Alpha Epsilon Pi . 
Volgens to Gehry, “I was a truck driver in LA, going to City College, and I With You Radio Announcing, welke I was not very good at. I With You chemical engineering, welke I was not very good at and did not true, and-then I remembered. You know, somehow I just started wracking my brain about, “What do I like?” Where was I? What made me excited? And I Remembered art, dat I loved going to museums and I loved looking at paintings, loved listening to music. Those things cameramen from my mother, who took me to concerts and museums. I Remembered Grandma and the blocks, and just on a hunch, I With You train architecture classes. ”  Gehry graduated with a Bachelor of Architecture degree from USC in 1954. [ citation needed ]
After graduating from college, he spent time away from the field or architecture in numerous other jobs, zoals service in the United States Army .  In the fall of 1956, he moved his family to Cambridge , where he studied city planning at the Harvard Graduate School of Design . He left voordat completing the program, disheartened and underwhelmed.  Gehry’s left-wing ideas about socially verantwoordelijk architectures ulcers under-voortvloeien, [ clarification needed ] and the final straw occurred-when he sat in on a discussion of one professor’s “secret project in progress” -a palace dat he was designing for right-wing Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista (1901-1973).
Gehry Returned to Los Angeles to work for Victor Gruen Associates , who have had apprenticed for while at USC School of Architecture . In 1957 he was bepaald the chance to design and construct his first private residence at the age of 28, with friend and old Classmate Greg Walsh. Built in Idyllwild, California for his wife Anita’s family neighbor Melvin David, “The David Cabin” COMPLETED in 1958,  shows features therein ulcers to Become prominent in later work. The over 2,000 square foot mountain retreat has unique design features with prominent Asian Influences, vote from his EARLIEST Inspirations at the time like Shosoin Treasure House in Nara, Japan, onder Vodafone. Beams protrude from the exterior sides and Exposed, unfinished ceiling beams are prominent features.
In 1961, he moved to Paris where he worked for architects Pereira and Lickman.  In 1962, Gehry Agent a practice in Los Angeles which became Frank Gehry and Associates in 1967  and dan Gehry Partners in 2001.  Gehry’s EARLIEST commissions ulcers all in Southern California, where he designed a number of innovative commercial structures zoals Santa Monica Place (1980) and residential buildings zoals the eccentric Norton House (1984) in Venice, California . 
Among synthesis works, however, Gehry’s most notable design nov be the renovation of his own Santa Monica residence.  Originally built in 1920 and PURCHASED by Gehry in 1977, the house features a metallic exterior wrapped around the original building dat leaves many of the original details visible.  Gehry still resides there today.
Other COMPLETED buildings designed by Gehry prolongation the 1980s include the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium (1981) in San Pedro and the California Aerospace Museum (1984) at the California Museum of Science and Industry in Los Angeles.
In 1989, Gehry was Awarded the Pritzker Architecture Prize . The jury Cited Gehry as “Always open to expérimentation, he has as well a sureness and maturity dat resists, in the co-way dat Picasso did, being bound Either at critical acceptance or his Successes. His buildings are juxtaposed collages or spaces and materials therein make users appreciative and excursions the theater and the back-stage, simultaneously revealed. ” 
Though Gehry continued to design other notable buildings in California zoals the Chiat / Day Building (1991) in Venice in collaboration with Claes Oldenburg , welke is well Berninahaus voor zijn massive sculpture of binoculars, he’ll be Began not to receive larger national and international commissions. These include Gehry’s first European commission, the Vitra International Furniture Manufacturing Facility and Design Museum in Germany COMPLETED in 1989. This was soon Followed by other major commissions waaronder the Frederick Weisman Museum of Art  (1993) in Minneapolis, Minnesota , the Cinematheque French  (1994) in Paris, France, and the Dancing House  (1996) in Prague , Czech Republic.
In 1997, Gehry vaulted to a new level of international Acclaim  als the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao opened in Bilbao , Spain. Hailed by New Yorker Magazine as a “masterpiece of the twentieth century” and legendary architect Philip Johnson as “the greatest building of our time”,  the museum became famous voor zijn Striking yet aesthetically pleasing design and the economic effect dat it had on the city.
Since dan, Gehry has regularly won major commissions and has work area Agent himself as one of the world’s most notable architects. His best RECEIVED works include verschillende concert halls for classical music, zoals the boisterous and curvaceous Walt Disney Concert Hall (2003) in Downtown Los Angeles , welke has leg the centerpiece of the neighborhood’s Revitalization and has bone, key to the LA Times as “the musts effective answer to doubters, naysayers, and grumbling critics an American architect has ever produktie “,  the open-air Jay Pritzker Pavilion (2004) Adjacent to Millennium Park in Chicago,  and the understated New World Center (2011 ) in Miami Beach , welke the LA Times called “a piece of architecture therein DARES you to under estimate rate it or write it off at first Glance.” 
Other notable works include academic buildings zoals the Stata Center (2004)  at MIT and the Peter B. Lewis Library (2008) at Princeton University ,  museums zoals the Museum of Pop Culture (2000) in Seattle, Washington ,  commercial buildings zoals the IAC Building (2007) in New York City,  and residential buildings zoals Gehry’s first skyscraper, the Beekman Tower at 8 Spruce Street (2011)  in New York City.
Several recent and ongoing major works by Gehry around the world include the Dr Chau Chak Wing Building in the University of Technology, Sydney , COMPLETED in 2014.  The Chau Chak Wing, met haar 320,000 bricks in “sweeping lines” is as DESCRIBED “10 out of 10” on a scale of difficulty.  An ongoing project is the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi on Saadiyat Island in the United Arab Emirates.  Other significant projects zoals the Mirvish Towers in Toronto,  and a multi-decade renovation of the Philadelphia Museum of Art are currently in the design stage. In October 2013, Gehry was appointed joint architect with Foster + Partners to design the “High Street” phase of the development of Battersea Power Station in London, England, welke will not represent Gehry’s first project in London. 
However, in recent years, some of Gehry’s more prominent designs have failed to go forward. In addition under to unrealized designs zoals a major Corcoran Art Gallery expansion in Washington, DC, and a new Guggenheim museum near the South Street Seaport in New York City, Gehry was notoriously dropped by developer Bruce Ratner from the Pacific Park redevelopment project and was ook dropped in 2014 as the designer of the World Trade Center Performing Arts Center ; zowel or synthesis projects ulcers in New York City.  That said, some stalled projects harbor Recently shown progress: after many years and a dismissal, Gehry was Recently reinstated as architect for the Grand Avenue Project in Los Angeles and, though Gehry’s controversial    design of the National Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial in Washington, DC, has bone subject to numerous delays prolongation the approval process with the United States Congress , the project was finally not approved in 2014 with a modified design.
In 2014, two significant, long-awaited museum designed by Gehry opened: the Biomuseo ,  a biodiversity museum in Panama City , Panama, and the Fondation Louis Vuitton ,    a modern art museum the Bois de Boulogne park in Paris, France, welke opened to some rave reviews. 
Also in 2014, Gehry was commissioned by the Los Angeles River Revitalization Corporation , a nonprofit group founded by the city of Los Angeles in 2009 to co-ordinate river policy, to Devise a wide-ranging new plan for the river. 
In February 2015 the new building for the University of Technology, Sydney was officially opened, with a facade constructed from morethan 320,000 hand-placed bricks and glass slabs, and costing AU $ 180 million. Gehry have zegt mention anything about “never again design a building quite like the” crumpled paper bag “. 
Reports in 2016 zegt dat Gehry Told the French Newspapers La Croix and Le Figaro dat he had spoken with French President Francois Hollande , who had Assured the architect therein have Could relocate to France if Donald Trump was elected President of the United States . Gehry and Trump harbor a long-standing disputes, welke nov port originated als Gehry’s 8 Spruce Street , oorspronkelijk known as the “Beekman Tower” was built 1 foot (12:30 m) taller dan Trumps’s nearby The Trump Building , THUS beating the Latter out as the tallest residential building in New York City – hoewel de beide port since bone surpassed at One57 .    On the other hand, Trump, as well as New Jersey Governor Chris Christie ulcers zegt in August 2016 to be investors in Gehry’s Proposed “8150 Sunset [Boulevard] Project” in Los Angeles. 
Much of Gehry’s work REFLECTS a spirit of expérimentation coupled with a respect for the Demands of professional practice. Gehry’s work has remained largely unaligned with broader STYLISTIC tendencies or movements. [ Citation needed ] With his EARLIEST educational Influences rooted in modernism , Gehry’s work has SOUGHT to escape Modernist STYLISTIC tropes while still REMAINING interested in some of its underlying Transformative agendas. Continually working tussen bepaald circumstances and unanticipated materializations, Gehry’s style works to disrupt expectations. [ Citation needed ]
Gehry is sometimes associated with what is known as the “Los Angeles School” or the “Santa Monica School” or architectures. The appropriateness of this designation and the existence or zoals a school, however, scope for controversial due to the Lack of a unifying philosophy or theory. This designation Stems from the Los Angeles area’s Producing a group of the Most Influential postmodern architects, zoals zoals notable Gehry Contemporaries as Eric Owen Moss and Pritzker Prize-winner Thom Mayne of Morphosis, as well as the famous schools of architecture at the Southern California Institute of Architecture (co-founded by Mayne), UCLA , and USC where Gehry is a member of the board of directors. [ Citation needed ]
Gehry’s style at times Seems unfinished or even crude, but his work is consistent with the California ” funk ” art movement in the 1960s and early 1970s, welke featured the use of Inexpensive found objects and non-traditional media industry leaders as clay to make serious art .  Gehry has bone called “the apostle of chain-link fencing and Corrugated metal siding.”  However, a retrospective exhibit at New York’s Whitney Museum in 1988 revealed therein have been killed a sophisticated classical artist, who knows European art history and contemporary sculpture and painting. 
After the phenomenal success of Gehry’s design for the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain , critics Began referring to the economic and cultural Revitalization of cities through Iconic, innovative architectures as the “Bilbao effect”.  In the first 12 months after the museum was opened, an Estimated US $ 160 million in later added to the Basque economy. In subsequent years there port leg many attempts to replicate this effect through large-scale eye catching architectural commissions dat port leg zowel successful and unsuccessful, zoals Daniel Libeskind ‘s expansion of the Denver Art Museum and buildings by Gehry himself zoals the almost universally well-RECEIVED Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles and the more controversial Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle .  though some link the concept of the Bilbao Effect to the notion of starchitecture, Gehry has consistently rejected the label or a starchitect . 
Though much of Gehry’s work has leg well RECEIVED, reception or Gehry’s work is not always positive. Art historian Hal Foster reads Gehry’s architecture as, primarily, in the service of corporate branding .  Criticism of his work of includes complaints about design Flaws therein the buildings washed structural resources by customizing functionless forms, do not seem to belong in hun surroundings or verbeteren the public context hun locations, and are apparently designed without accounting for the local climate .  
More About, the socialist magazine Jacobin pointed out dat Gehry’s work kan be summed up as architecture for the super-wealthy, in the sense dat it is expensive, not resourceful, and does not serve the interests of the overwhelming Majority. Actually, Gehry dismissed common architectures, welke ordinary people impervious to use as shelter, in saying, “In the world we live in, 98 percent of what gets built and designed today is pure shit.” 
Other aspects of career
In January 2011, Gehry joined the University of Southern California (USC) faculty, as the Judge Widney Professor of Architecture.  He has since continued in this role at his alma mater.
Though Gehry is of or in referred to as a ” starchitect “, Gehry has repeatedly Expressed his disdain for the term, insisting Limit download therein have been only an architect.   Steve Sample , president of the University of Southern California , Told Gehry that ‘… After George Lucas , you are our musts prominent graduate “.
As of December 2013 , Gehry has RECEIVED on a carton honorary doctorates from universities verschillende (sea #Honorary doctorates ).
Gehry has bone involved in exhibition designs at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art dating back to the 1960s. In 1965 Gehry designed the exhibition display for the “Art Treasures of Japan” exhibition at the LACMA. This was Followed soon after by the exhibition design for the “Assyrian Reliefs” show in 1966 and the “Billy Al Bengston Retrospective” in 1968. The LACMA dan had Gehry design the installation for the “Treasures of Tutankhamen” exhibition Followed in 1978 by the “Avant-Garde in Russia 1910-1930” exhibition in 1980. The subsequent year Gehry designed the exhibition for “Seventeen Artists in the 60s” at the LACMA Followed soon after by the “German expressionist Sculpture Exhibition” in 1983. in 1991/92 , Gehry designed the installation of the landmark exhibition “Degenerate Art: The Fate of the Avant-Garde in Nazi Germany” in this housing opened at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and traveled to the Art Institute of Chicago , the Smithsonian Institution in Washington and the Altes Museum in Berlin.   In 2014, Gehry was Asked to design an exhibition on the work of Alexander Calder at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art’s Resnick Pavilion, again Invited by the museum’s curator Stephanie Barron.  The exhibition Began on November 24, 2013, and ran through July 27, 2014.
In addition under to his long-standing Involvement with exhibition design at the LACMA, Gehry has designed numerous ook exhibition installations with other institutions. In 1998, “The Art of the Motorcycle” exhibition opened at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum met haar installation designed by Gehry. This exhibition subsequently traveled to the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and the Guggenheim Las Vegas .
In 2014, he curated an exhibition of photography by his close friend and executives Peter Arnell dat ran from March 5 through April 1 at Milk Studios Gallery in Los Angeles. 
In 1983, Gehry created the stage design for Lucinda Childs ‘ dance Available Light , set to music by John Adams . It premiered at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles at the “Temporary Contemporary”, and was subsequently seen at the Brooklyn Academy of Music Opera House in New York City, and the Theatre de la Ville in Paris. The set consisted of two levels Angled in relatie to eachother, with a chain-link backdrop.  The pieces were revived in 2015,  and was Performed, onder other places, Los Angeles and Philadelphia, where it was Presented at FringeArts , welke commissioned the revival. 
In 2012 Gehry designed the set for the Los Angeles Philharmonic ‘s opera production of Don Giovanni , Performed at the Walt Disney Concert Hall.
In April 2014 Gehry designed a set for an “exploration of the life and career of Pierre Boulez ” by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra , welke was Performed in November of that year. 
In addition under to architecture, Gehry has made a line of furniture, jewelry for Tiffany & Co. , Various household items, sculptures, and even a glass bottle for Wyborowa Vodka . His first line of furniture, produktie from 1969 to 1973, was called ” Easy Edges “, constructed out of cardboard . Another line of furniture released in the spring of 1992, ” Bentwood Furniture “. Lycra piece is named after a différent hockey term. He was first introduced to making furniture in 1954 while serving in the US Army , where he designed furniture for the enlisted soldiers.
In many of his designs, Gehry was inspired by fish. “It was at accident I got into tje fish image”, claimed Gehry. One thing dat sparked his interest in fish was the fact dat his colleagues’ are recreating Greek temple. He zegt, “Three hundred million years voordat man fish …. if u gotta go back, and you’re insecure about going forward … go back three hundred million years ago. Why are you stopping at the Greeks ? So I started drawing fish in my Sketchbook, and-then I started to Realize therein there was something in it. ” 
As a result of his Fascination, the first Fish Lamps ulcers fabricated tussen 1984 en 1986. Way Down Employed wire armatures molded JSON fish shapes, forbidden welke shards of plastic laminate ColorCore are Individually glued. Since the creation of the first light in 1984, the fish has Become a recurrent motif in Gehry’s work, must notably in the Fish Sculpture at La Vila Olímpica del Poblenou in Barcelona (1989-92) and Standing Glass Fish for the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden ( 1986). 
Gehry has collaborated with post with luxury jewelry company Tiffany & Co. customizing six distinct jewelry collections: the Orchid collection, Fish collection, Torque collection, Equus collection, Axis collection and Fold collection. In addition under to jewelry, Gehry designed other items waaronder a distinctive collector’s chess set as well as a series of tableware items waaronder Vases, cups and bowls for the company. 
In 2004, Gehry designed the official trophy for the World Cup of Hockey . 
In 2014, Gehry was one of the six “iconoclasts” selected by French fashion house Louis Vuitton to design a piece using hun Iconic monogram pattern as part hun “Celebrating Monogram” campaign. 
In 2015, Gehry designed his first yacht. 
Gehry’s firm was verantwoordelijk for innovation in architectural software.  His firm spun off Another firm called Gehry Technologies that was Agent in 2002. In 2005, Gehry Technologies Began a partnership with Dassault Systèmes to bring innovations from the Aerospace and manufacturing world to AEC and developed Digital Project software as well as software GTeam . In 2014, Gehry Technologies was acquired by software company Trimble Navigation .  Its client list of includes Diller Scofidio + Renfro , Herzog & de Meuron , Jean Nouvel , Coop Himmelb (l) au and Zaha Hadid .
In 1952, Gehry (dan Goldberg) married Anita Snyder. Volgens to an interview with Gehry on the genealogy program Finding Your Roots , he changed his name in 1956 to Frank O. Gehry in part Because of the antisemitism he had EXPERIENCED as a child and as an undergraduate at USC . Gehry and Snyder divorced in 1966.
He married his current wife, Panamanian Berta Isabel Aguilera in 1975. He has two daughters from his first marriage and two sons from his second marriage.
Having grown up in Canada, Gehry is an avid fan of ice hockey . He Began a hockey league in his office, FOG (which stands for Frank Owen Gehry), though he no longer plays with them.  In 2004, he designed the trophy for the World Cup of Hockey .  Gehry holds dual citizenship in Canada and the United States. He lives in Santa Monica, California, and Continues to practice out of Los Angeles.
Gehry is Berninahaus for his sometimes cantankerous personality. During a trip to Oviedo, Spain , to accept the prestigious Prince of Asturias Award in October 2014 have RECEIVED a significant amount of attention, zowel positive and negative, for Publicly flipping off a reporter at a press conference linked Accused im or being a ” showy “architect.  
Gehry is a member of the California Yacht Club in Marina Del Rey, California , and enjoys sailing with his Fiberglass-hulled yacht, “Foggy”.  Gehry ook Serves on the leadership council of The New York Stem Cell Foundation . 
In popular culture
In 2004, he voiced himself on the children’s television show Arthur , where he helped Arthur and his friends design a new act house .  Gehry ook voiced himself in the 2005 episode of The Simpsons called ” The Seven-Beer Snitch “, in welke he designs a concert hall for the Fictional city of Springfield. Gehry has since voiced dat he regrets his appearance since a joke about his design technique has led people to misunderstand his architectural process. 
In 2006, filmmaker Sydney Pollack made a documentary about Gehry’s work called Sketches of Frank Gehry . The film welke Followed Gehry over the course of five years and painted a positive portrait of his character, was well-RECEIVED critically. 
In 2009, architecturally-inspired ice cream sandwich company CoolHaus named a cookie and ice cream combination after Gehry. Dubbed the “Frank Behry”, it features Strawberries & Cream gelato and snickerdoodle cookies.  
Exhibitions of Gehry’s work
In October 2014, the first major European exhibition of Gehry’s work debuted at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, France.  Other museums or major galleries dat port done exhibitions on Gehry’s architecture or design include the Leo Castelli Gallery in 1983 and the Walker Art Center in 1986. Whose exhibition-then traveled to the Toronto Harbourfront Museum, the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston , the High Museum of Art in Atlanta , the LACMA and the Whitney Museum . Subsequently, work area museums dat port done major exhibitions on Gehry’s work include the Philadelphia Museum of Art , the Museum of Modern Art in 1992, the Gagosian Gallery in 1984, 1992 and 1993, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in 2001, the Guggenheim Bilbao 2002 the Jewish Museum in Manhattan in 2010 and the Milan Triennale , first in 1988 and-then in 2010, with an exhibition entitled “Frank Gehry from 1997.” In 2015, LACMA hero a major retrospective of Gehry’s work. 
Gehry participated in the 1980 Venice Biennale’s ” La Strada novissima ” installation. He’ll be Contributed to the 1985 Venice Biennale with an installation and performance named ” Il Corso del Coltello ” done in collaboration with Claes Oldenburg. His projects ulcers featured in the 1996 Venice Biennale. He subsequently Contributed to the 2008 Venice Biennale with an installation named ” Ungapatchket “.
In October 2015, 21 21 Design Sight in Tokyo held the exhibition ” Frank Gehry. I Have An Idea “, curated by Japanese architect Tsuyoshi Tane. 
Awards and receptacles
- 1987: Fellow of American Academy of Arts and Letters
- 1988 elected into tje National Academy of Design
- 1989: Pritzker Architecture Prize
- 1992: Praemium Imperiale
- 1994: The Dorothy and Lillian Gish Prize
- 1995: Academy of Achievement’s Golden Plate Award
- 1998 National Medal of Arts 
- 1998 Gold Medal Award, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada
- 1999: AIA Gold Medal , American Institute of Architects
- 2000 Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award Lifetime Achievement 
- 2002: Companion of the Order of Canada 
- 2004: Woodrow Wilson Award for Public Service
- 2006: Inductee, California Hall of Fame
- 2007: Henry C. Turner Prize for Innovation in Construction Technology from the National Building Museum (on behalf of Gehry Partners and Gehry Technologies)
- 2009: Order of Charlemagne
- 2012: Twenty-five Year Award , American Institute of Architects
- 2014: Prince of Asturias Award
- 2014: Commander of the Ordre National de la Legion d’honneur, France
- 2015: J. Paul Getty Medal
- 2016: Harvard Arts Medal
- 2016: Leonore and Walter Annenberg Award for Diplomacy through the Arts, Foundation for Arts and Preservation in Embassies
- 2016: Presidential Medal of Freedom
Gehry was elected to the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) in 1974, and he has RECEIVED many national, regional and local AIA awards. He is a Senior Fellow of the Design Futures Council and Serves on the steering committee of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Reinhart, Anthony (July 28, 2010) “Frank Gehry clears the air” , Globe and Mail
- ^ Jump up to:a b Tyrnauer, Matt (June 30, 2010). “Architecture in the Age of Gehry” . Vanity Fair . Retrieved 2010-07-22 .
- Jump up^ for the design, sea’Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial: Design “
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Chollet, Laurence B. (2001). The Essential Frank O. Gehry . New York: The Wonderland Press. p. 112. ISBN 0-8109-5829-5 .
- Jump up^ Finding Your Roots , February 2, 2016PBS
- Jump up^ Green, Peter S. (June 30, 2005). “In the News: Warsaw Jewish Museum in Poland” . The New York Times . Isurvived.org . Retrieved 2011-08-30 .
- Jump up^ Gorin, Abbott (Spring 2015)”A Golden Age of Jewish Architects” Jewish Currents
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Templer, Karen (January 5, 1999). “Frank Gehry” . Salon . Retrieved 2007-08-25 .
- Jump up^ Lacayo, Richard; Levy, Daniel S. (June 26, 2000). “Architecture: The Frank Gehry Experience” . Time . 155 (26). p. 64. Archived from the original on January 5, 2013 . Retrieved March 22, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Engel, Eliot L. (August 2, 2013). “Congratulating the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity International” . Capitol Words . Retrieved 2014-01-23 . [ Permanently dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Biography and Video Interview, Frank Gehry at Academy of Achievement” . achievement.org . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ Isenberg, Barbara (2012). Conversations with Frank Gehry . Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. pp. 40-43. ISBN 9780307959720 .
- Jump up^ Sisson, Patrick (August 21, 2015)”21 First Drafts: Frank Gehry’s David Cabin” Curbed
- Jump up^ Gehry Partners, LLP website ArchivedJanuary 19, 2013 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ Molloy, Jonathan C. (February 28, 2013). “AD Classic: Norton House / Frank Gehry” . ArchDaily . Retrieved 2013-05-25 .
- Jump up^ Head, Jeffrey (October 21, 2009)”Frank Gehry: The Houses” Los Angeles Times
- Jump up^ “Gehry House – Frank Gehry” . Great Buildings Collection . Retrieved 2010-06-03 .
- Jump up^ “Pritzker Architecture Prize Jury Citation: Frank Gehry”
- Jump up^ “The Frederick Weisman Museum of Art”
- Jump up^ “Cinémathèque Française”
- Jump up^ “Dancing House”
- Jump up^ Tyrnauer, Matt (August 2010)”Architecture in the Age of Gehry”, Vanity Fair . Accessed 2012-03-27.
- Jump up^ Roston, Eric (October 11, 2004). “Windy City Redux” . Time . Retrieved 2008-07-30 .
- Jump up^ Hawthorne, Christopher (September 21, 2013). “Frank Gehry’s Walt Disney Concert Hall is inextricably or LA” . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved 2013-12-09 .
- Jump up^ Hawthorne, Christopher (January 24, 2011). “Architecture review: Frank Gehry’s New World Center in Miami Beach” . Los Angeles Times .
- Jump up^ “The Stata Center”
- Jump up^ “The Peter B. Lewis Library”
- Jump up^ Staff. “Experience Music Project” . Fodors . Archived from the original on August 18, 2010 . Retrieved 2015-03-22 .
- Jump up^ Ouroussoff, Nicolai (March 22, 2007). “Gehry’s New York Debut: Subdued Tower of Light” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2007-08-25 .
- Jump up^ Ouroussoff, Nicolai (February 9, 2011). “8 Spruce Street by the architect Frank Gehry – Review” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ “UTS City Campus Master Plan” . www.uts.edu.au . Retrieved 2014-08-30 .
- Jump up^ Gilmore, Heath (August 30, 2014). “Frank Gehry’s Sydney building sculpture revealed” . The Sydney Morning Herald . Retrieved 2014-08-30 .
- Jump up^ “Projects at Nouvel and Gehry Finally Moving Forward on Saadiyat Island” . Architectural Record . January 26, 2011 . Retrieved 2011-08-30 .
- Jump up^ Bozikovic, Alex (December 7, 2013). “Frank Gehry and David Mirvish’s Tall Order in Toronto” . The Globe & Mail . Retrieved 2013-12-08 .
- Jump up^ Staff (October 23, 2013). “Superstar Architects Gehry and Foster to design Battersea Power Station’s High Street”. Retrieved 2013-10-23 .
- Jump up^ Tommasini, Anthony (January 7, 2013). “Arts Hub for All May Work for None” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2013-12-08 .
- Jump up^ Pogrebin Robin (February 6, 2012). “Eisenhower as Barefoot Boy? Family Objects to a Memorial” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ Campbell, Robert (October 13, 2012). “Pressing Pause, for Cause, On the Eisenhower Memorial” . Boston Globe .
- Jump up^ Kennicott, Philip (January 17, 2011). “Review: Frank Gehry’s Eisenhower Memorial reinvigorates the genre” . Washington Post . Retrieved 2012-04-24 .
- Jump up^ Staff. “The Biomuseo, the great works of Frank Gehry” . Visitpanama.com . Retrieved 2011-08-30 .
- Jump up^ Staff (March 26, 2012). “Eliasson show due to open Paris’ Louis Vuitton museum” . Collector Tribune . Retrieved 2012-10-21 .
- Jump up^ Staff (January 8, 2007). “Foundation Louis Vuitton: Frank Gehry” . www.arcspace.com . Retrieved 2011-08-30 .
- Jump up^ Riding, Alan (October 3, 2006). “www.nytimes.com” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2011-08-30 .
- Jump up^ Kennicott, Philip (September 2014). “Gehry’s Paris Coup” . Vanity Fair . Retrieved 2014-10-24 .
- Jump up^ Hawthorne, Christopher (August 9, 2015)”Hydrology, not landscaping or landmarks, is focus or Frank Gehry’s LA River plan” Los Angeles Times
- Jump up^ Australian Associated Press (February 2, 2015). “Frank Gehry says his” crumpled paper bag ‘building will Remain a one-off ” . The Guardian . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ Perlson, Hili (November 15, 2016)”With Trump elected Frank Gehry Wants to Move to France” Artnet News
- Jump up^ Staff (2016)”Donald Trump vs. Frank Gehry” Los Angeles Times
- Jump up^ Ark, Joey (November 23, 2010)”Donald Trump Not Impressed With Frank Gehry’s Beekman Tower” Curbed New York
- Jump up^ Grace, Michael L. (August 4, 2016)”Donald Trump backed Frank Gehry’s 8150 Sunset project will demolish Kurt Meyer-designed historic mid-Century Lytton Savings Building on the Sunset Strip” Cruising the Past
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Frank Owen Gehry” . achille.paris. May 28, 2015 . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ Adams, B. (1988) “Frank Gehry’s Merzbau”. Art in America 76: pp.139-144
- Jump up^ Rybczynski, Witold(September 2002) “The Bilbao Effect”The Atlantic Monthly
- Jump up^ Rybczynski, Witold(November 22, 2008)”When Buildings Try Too Hard”, Wall Street Journal
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Frank Gehry:” I’m Not a Starchitect ” ” . Archdaily . Retrieved 2013-12-08 .
- Jump up^ Foster, Hal (August 23, 2001). “Why all the hoopla?” . London Review of Books . 23 (16) . Retrieved 2011-08-30 .
- Jump up^ Favermann Mark (November 7, 2007). “MIT Sues Architect Frank Gehry About Flaws at Stata Center” . Berkshire Fine Arts . Retrieved 2011-08-30 .
- Jump up^ Speck, Jeff (2012)Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a TimeNew York: North Point Press. pp.243-45. ISBN 978-0-86547-772-8
- Jump up^ Cocotas Alex (June 2016). “Design for the one percent” . Jacobin . Retrieved 7 June 2016 .
- Jump up^ USC News (January 18, 2011). “Architect Frank Gehry Named Judge Widney Professor (press release)” . Retrieved 2011-01-18 .
- Jump up^ “Frank Gehry:” Do not Call Me a Starchitect ‘ ‘ . The Independent . January 17, 2009 . Retrieved 2013-12-08 .
- Jump up^ Muchnic, Suzanne (February 6, 1992),”LACMA ‘Degenerate’ Exhibit to Make a Stop in Germany” Los Angeles Times
- Jump up^ Wilson, William (February 15, 1991)”Revisiting the Unthinkable: Nazi Germany’s ‘Degenerate Art’ Show at LACMA”Los Angeles Times
- Jump up^ Fleishman, Jeffrey (February 28, 2014)”Frank Gehry and Alexander Calder, a captivating union at LACMA” Los Angeles Times
- Jump up^ “When Architects Curate: Frank Gehry’s Peter Arnell Retrospective at Milk Studios | Object Lessons” . Blouin Artinfo . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ Lazar, July (1983) “Interview: Frank Gehry” inAvailable Light Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles. ISBN 0-914357-01-8
- Jump up^ Lazar, July (June 3, 2015)”Available Light” Returns to the Stage After Three Decades ” KCET
- Jump up^ “Available Light” FringeArts
- Jump up^ Staff (April 23, 2014). “Architect Frank Gehry to Create Set Design for Chicago Symphony Orchestra Focused on Pierre Boulez” . Broadway World . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ Pollack, Sydney(dir.) (1985) American Masters : Sketches of Frank Gehry (TV documentary) PBS. Access Date = 2008-11-17
- Jump up^ “Frank Gehry Fish Lamps, November 7 – December 21, 2013” Gagosian Gallery, London
- Jump up^ “Frank Gehry’s Tiffany Chess Set Is a Miniature Architectural Marvel” . Gizmodo . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ Adams, Noah (September 3, 2004). “Frank Gehry’s World Cup of Hockey Trophy” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2014-10-24 .
- Jump up^ “Louis Vuitton: Celebrating Monogram Project” . celebrating.monogram.lv . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ Ward, Vicky (October 5, 2015). “Frank Gehry’s First-Ever Yacht Looks Like Nothing You’ve Ever Seen” . Town & Country . Retrieved 2015-10-13 .
- Jump up^ Appelbaum, Alec (February 11, 2009). “New York Times: Frank Gehry’s Software Keeps Buildings on Budget” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2012-12-13 .
- Jump up^ Ferro, Shaunacy (September 11, 2014),Frank Gehry’s Software Company Acquired Fast Company .
- Jump up^ Goldberger, Paul (2015). Building Art: The Life and Work of Frank Gehry . Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. ISBN 9781101875803 . Retrieved 15 January 2016 .
- Jump up^ Baurick Tristan (May 13, 2004). “Architect’s love of the game inspiration behind Cup trophy,” Ottawa Citizen , p. C2.
- Jump up^ Schledahl, Peter (2014-10-27). “Frank Gehry’s Digital Defiance” . The New Yorker . Retrieved October 27, 2014 .
- Jump up^ McKenny, Leesha (October 27, 2014). “Frank Gehry Gives the finger in response to accusations of” showy architecture ” ” . Sydney Morning Herald . Retrieved 2014-10-27 .
- Jump up^ Browne, Alix (April 19, 2009). “Love for Sail” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ “Leadership Council” . New York Stem Cell Foundation . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ Booth, John (October 10, 2011). “The 15 geekiest Episodes of PBS’s Arthur” . Wired . Retrieved 2013-08-14 .
- Jump up^ Chaban, Matt (September 5, 2011). “Frank Gehry Really, Really Regrets His Guest Appearance on The Simpsons”. The New York Observer . Retrieved 2011-09-10 .
- Jump up^ Sketches of Frank Gehry . Rotten Tomatoes.
- Jump up^ Staff (May 20, 2014). “How to Construct an Epic Ice Cream Sandwich Like an Architect” . Food & Wine . Retrieved 2014-10-29 .
- Jump up^ CoolHaus (December 2, 2009). “Frank Behry Tribute Video!” . Blogspot . Retrieved 2014-10-29 .
- Jump up^ Giovannini, Joseph (October 20, 2014). “An Architect’s Big Moment Parisian Two Shows for Frank Gehry, as His Vuitton Foundation Opens” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2014-10-24 .
- Jump up^ “Frank Gehry – LACMA” . Los Angeles County Museum of Art .
- Jump up^ “Frank Gehry: I have an idea” .
- Jump up^ “Lifetime Honors – National Medal of Arts” . National Endowment for the Arts . Archived from the original on 2011-08-06 . Retrieved 2011-08-30 .
- Jump up^ “Lifetime Achievement Winner: Frank Gehry” . Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum .
- Jump up^ “The Governor General of Canada> Find a Recipient” . Governor General of Canada . Retrieved 2015-09-14 .
- Jump up^ “Frank Gehry: My days as a young rebel” . TED Talks . 1990 . Retrieved September 29, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Frank Gehry: A master architect Asks, Now what?” . TED Talks . 2002 . Retrieved September 29, 2015 .