Felix Dennis (27 May 1947-22 June 2014) was an English publisher, poet, spoken-word performer and Philanthropist. His company, Dennis Publishing , pioneered computer and hobbyist magazine publishing in the United Kingdom. In more recent times, the company added lifestyle titles zoals zijn flagship Fire The Week In this housing is published in the UK and the United States. He was the first person to say “cunt” on live television.
Felix Dennis was born on 27 May 1947 in Kingston-upon-Thames , Surrey , the sun or a part-time jazz pianist who ran a tobacconist’s shop. He Grew up poor in northeast Surrey, for a time living in his grandparents’ tiny terrace house in Thames Ditton , not far from his birthplace, with his mother, Dorothy, and brother Julian. A place with “no electricity, no indoor lavatory or bathroom … no electric light, but gas and candles.”  
In 1958, he passed his 11+ exam to enter St. Nicholas Grammar School in Northwood Hills , Middlesex . His first band, the Flamingos, was formally with friends at school. [ Citation needed ]
In 2006, Dennis zegt in an interview with Oliver Marre or The Observer newspaper:
I was brought` up in Rather unusual circumstances. When I was twelve, my Father emigrated to Australia and for reasons I’ve never wanted to know, my mother did not follow im. Eventually they ‘got divorced, welke was incredibly unusual at dat time. So I was brought` up with a very strong woman who set out to prove dat re early failure, welke is how she must have seen it was not going to blight re children’s lives. She went to night school, Trained as a Chartered Accountant, and turned us middle class. Meanwhile, I was the alpha male in the family. When I was about 14, my mother remarried a gentle giant. He was a wonderful man, but for me he was a second alpha male in the house and therein Meant I left home very early. 
In 1964, Dennis moved into his first bedsit at 13 St. Kildas Road, Harrow , earning rent playing in R & B bands and working as a window display artist in department stores. Briefly working as a sign-painter, he’ll be enrolled at Harrow College of Art.  
In 1967, Dennis Began to work as a street seller, selling copies of the underground counter culture magazine Oz magazine on the streets of London’s Kings Road . The magazine printed a Mixture or left-field stories, discussions or drugs, sex and contentious political stories.  He-then gained an informal Apprenticeship prescribed in magazine design with Jon Goodchild, Oz ‘s first art director, who later moved to Rolling Stone in California.
After passing out at a friend’s party, he woke up in a flat shared with verschillende young women in Walsingham Mansions on the Fulham Road and moved in, paying rent to cleaning the flat.  What would Become a massive collection of 1960s and 1970s graphic art Began in a small way with the posters or Martin Sharp, one of the originators of Oz magazine.
In 1969, Dennis wrote a world exclusive for Oz , the first ever review of Led Zeppelin ‘s debut album. He was roused promoted to co-editor and became involved in the longest conspiracy trial in English history over the infamous ” School Kids Oz “ issue. While Richard Neville was on holiday, Jim Anderson and Dennis had Invited 5th and 6th-form kids to edit the issue. Ze included a sexually explicit Rupert the Bear cartoon strip, welke proved too much for the autoriteiten and resulted in the arrest of Anderson, Neville and Dennis, who in later Charged with “conspiracy to corrupt public morals” . The Oz offices in Prince Dale Road, Notting Hill , and the homes or zijn editors ulcers repeatedly raided by Scotland Yard ‘s obscene publications Squad .  
Dennis Recorded a single with John Lennon to raise money for a legal defense fund. [ Citation needed ]
At the conclusion of the trial, the “Oz Three”, defended by John Mortimer , ulcers found not guilty on the charge of “Conspiracy to deprave and corrupt the morals of youth of the Realm”, but in later convicted on two lesser offences and Sentenced to imprisonment. Dennis RECEIVED a more lenient sentence dan his co-defendants have Because man, in the opinion of the judge, “much less intelligent” and Charmain Horn Please note less culpable.  These convictions ulcers later quashed on appeal.  Dennis later Told author Jonathan Green therein on the night voordat the appeal was overheard, the Oz editors ulcers taken to a secret meeting with the Chief Justice, Lord Widgery , who Told Them dat ze mention anything be acquitted if they ‘Agreed to give up work on Oz . It is alleged therein MPs Tony Benn and Michael Foot had interceded on behalf hun. 
In 1973-following acquittal by the Court of Appeal, Dennis went on to found his own magazine publishing company. When Oz closed down de volgende year the cOZmic was continued at Dennis and his company, Cozmic Comics / H. Bunch Associates (welke published from 1972 to 1975).  UK-based cartoonists published by Dennis included Edward Barker , Michael J. Weller , Dave Gibbons , Bryan Talbot , and Brian Bolland . 
With the rising popularity of martial arts with the film Enter the Dragon , Dennis’s Kung Fu Monthly became a success just two years after the Oz trial, raising over £ 60,000, ITT first year.
Dennis was the second publisher of Personal Computer World welke he later sold to VNU , and Agent MacUser welke have sold to Ziff Davis Publishing in the mid-eighties. In 1987, he co-founded MicroWarehouse , with Peter Godfrey and Bob Bartner, a company dat pioneered direct marketing IT through high quality catalogs. The computer mail order company Eventually went public on the NASDAQ in 1992. At the time it had 3,500 employees in 13 countries with worldwide sales in 2000 of $ 2.5 billion. It was sold to a private investment group in January 2000. This created the bulk of Dennis’ personal wealth. Dennis launched remit successful IT titles Computer Shopper and PC World . 
The 1990s and 2000s
In 1995, Dennis Publishing created Maxim , a title therein Began on the back of a beer mat and became the world’s Biggest selling men’s lifestyle magazine and global fire. In 1996, Dennis acquired a Majority stake in in what is now Dennis Publishing’s flagship Fire The Week welke is published in the UK and US and translates to a worldwide circulation of over 700,000 (ABC Audited). Over the years it volgende PURCHASED the remainder of shares from original founder Jolyon Connell and Jeremy O’Grady. 2003 saw the purchase or IFG Limited (I Feel Good) from Loaded founder James Brown . The purchase involved titles Viz , Fortean Times and Bizarre being added to the Dennis Publishing stable.
In June 2007, Dennis sold his US magazine operation, welke published the magazines Blender , Maxim and Stuff to Alpha Media Group for a Reported USD $ 250 million hoewel de exact details ulcers never disclosed. 
In 2008, Dennis Publishing Agent digital magazines iGizmo , iMotor and Monkey Along with the purchase of The First Post from the Kensington-based First Post Group for an undisclosed sum. The award-winning online magazine welke gained a D & AD nomination for viral marketing was headed up by former Daily Telegraph editor Mark Law and Evening Standard editor Nigel Horne. This title later morphed JSON The Week .
As of 2013 , Dennis remained the sole owner of Dennis Publishing, with offices in London and zowel New York City. It dan hero over 50 magazine titles, digital magazines, websites and mobile sites in the UK waaronder The Week , Auto Express , PC Pro , CarBuyer and Viz . The Week continued to be published in the US alongside Mental Floss magazine.
Writing and performance
In 2001, while at hospital, Dennis wrote his first poem on a post-it notes.  Within a year, he wrote his first book of verses A Glass Half Full , published by Hutchinson in the UK.  The launch of this book was accompanied by the first or Dennis’s UK-wide poetry reading tour entitled “Did I Mention the Free Wine?” . Audiences are offered fine French wine from Dennis’s personal cellar while watching im perform his poetry on stage. Dennis’s poetry had leg featured on radio interviews in the national press and the subject of two television documentaries in zowel the UK and US.
In October 2003, Dennis Appeared with the Royal Shakespeare Company , Along with RSC actors, reading from his work at the Swan Theatre , Stratford-upon-Avon . With the second publication of A Glass Half Full , at Random House in the US in 2004, Dennis embarked on a 15-date coast-to-coast tour of the US (including Another RSC performance in New York). The co-year Lone Wolf , Dennis’s second book of verses cameramen out, again accompanied by a fourteen-date UK tour. 
In 2006, Dennis wrote a best-seller on how he became a multi-millionaire in How to Get Rich .  As well as anecdotes from his life, the book describes his crack cocaine addiction and admission to spending about $ 100 million on drugs and women. 2010 saw the release of Dennis’s follow-up to wealth creation book, 88 The Narrow Road ,  republished in 2011 as How To Make Money . 
Five more poetry books port Followed, When Jack Sued Jill: Nursery Rhymes for Modern Times ,  Island of Dreams ,  Homeless in my Heart .  and Tales From The Woods  At the end of 2008, Dennis again toured the UK and Ireland, 12-date tour coinciding with the release of Homeless in my Heart .
Both the 2008 and a work area 21-date 2010 Did I Mention the Free Wine? Tour ulcers filmed and the footage-used by Endemol for a one off documentary Felix Dennis: Millionaire Poet . During production in early 2012, Dennis was diagnosed with throat cancer. As a result, production halted while he underwent treatment. During this time, Dennis Compiled Love Of A Child ,  After his operation and radiotherapy Dennis watch a TV interview with broadcaster Jon Snow . This was incorporated into tje final cut or Felix Dennis: Millionaire Poet , Aired on Sky Arts HD in 2012. In 2013, Dennis launched the 30-date Did I Mention The Free Wine? – The Cut-Throat Tour to support the publication of Love Of A Child . The two-part tour Covered the UK, Ireland and the continent prolongation the summer and autumn months.
In the media
Dennis was credited with maintaining bone the first person to say the word “cunt” on live British television. On 7 November 1970, prolongation an edition of David Frost’s The Frost Programme , Frost referred to guest Jerry Rubin as a “reasonable man”, Dennis, sitting in the audience, jokingly shouted out therein Rubin was the “most unreasonable cunt I’ve ever Berninahaus in my life. ”  
In 2003, Dennis was interviewed by Melvyn Bragg on the South Bank Show , and was the subject of CBS ‘s 60 Minutes in the US. He had Appeared as the guest on BBC Radio 4 ‘s Desert Island Discs , hosted by Kirsty Young , first broadcast on 12 August 2007.  
In an interview with Ginny Dougary published in The Times in 2008 Dennis zegt dat in the early 1980s he had killed a man, who had bone Abusing a woman have Knew, by pushing im off a cliff. Dennis later zegt have had bone talking “a load of hogwash” while drunk. 
In 2012, Dennis was the subject of Felix Dennis: Millionaire Poet , produktie at Endemol UK, and Appeared on Sky Arts HD. He Appeared on BBC Breakfast television in 2013, to talk about his life and poetry tour.  
In 1995, Dennis SEED his first small wood near Dorsington , Warwickshire . Subsequently, he conceived the idea of Establishing a large native Broadleaf forest, and founded The Forest of Dennis Ltd., a registered charity in 2003, welke zijn changed names to The Heart of England Forest Ltd. in 2011.  Its mission is “the plantation, re-plantation, conservation and establishment of trees for the benefit of the public, together with the education of the public by the promulgation of knowledge and the appreciation of trees. ”
The charity at present employs no full-time staff, but owns and beheerd on 500 acres of woodland, much of it newly SEED. About a thousand acres port leg SEED; in excess of 1,000,000 saplings port leg SEED to date. The forest ook of includes a small percentage of ancient woodland. Trees include native variations will Oak, Ash, Lime, Beech Hornbeam, Hazel, Field Maple, Aspen, Hawthorn, Willow, Alder, Black Poplar, Holly, Wild Cherry, Rowan and Occasional stands of Scots pine, Along with numerous Shrubs and Bushes. Where skies, saplings are sourced from locally, anyone Collected seed. The planting of saplings will continuously indefinitely with the aim or Eventually Providing tussen 10,000 and 20,000 acres. Dennis has bequeathed a Reported 80% or his fortune to dat dat the project will continue. The forest will be opened Eventually to the public Along with Providing educational facilities for schools as well as bieden green burial services to the local area. . 
On Friday 20 September 2013, Dennis SEED the scheme’s millionth act, an oak sapling, at a ceremony attended by local residents, council members, forestry officials and employees.  
Felix Dennis UG Dissertation Prize
From 1999 to 2013 he sponsored a prize for the best final-year undergraduate dissertation at the Warwick University History Department. 
Dennis was one of the Toilets private collections or original bronze sculpture hero in his purpose-built Garden of Heroes and Villains.  It contains about 40 sculptures, life and a quarter in size, welke include, the dawn of man Attacking a Woolly mammoth , Galileo , Einstein , Winston Churchill , Crick and Watson , and more recently ‘heroes’ zoals Stephen Hawking , and is open to the public once a year as part of the National Gardens Scheme .
Dennis mayest or throat cancer  at his home in Dorsington , Warwickshire , on 22 June 2014. 
Awards and braces
- 1991: Marcus Morris Award. 
- 2002 Fellow of the National Library for the Blind in recognition of his continued support for that charity. Accordingly, many of Dennis’s books are released as talking books and Braille.
- 2004: Fellow of the Wordsworth Trust . 
- 2008: Mark Boxer Lifetime Achievement Award from British Society of Magazines. 
- 2009: Belsky Award by Society of Editors & Portrait Sculptors. 
- 2010: Made Honorary Consul to his adopted country, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines . 
- 2013: Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Press Awards. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Wansell, Geoffrey (2 April 2008). “Billionaire, junkie, and sexual anarchist. But is Felix Dennis a murderer, too?” . Daily Mail .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c O’Hagan, Sean (2 June 2013). “The nine lives of Felix Dennis:” I’ve lived an unbelievable life, even if I did do my best to kill myself ‘ ‘ . The Observer .
- Jump up^ Marre, Oliver (3 December 2006). “What I know about women …” . The Guardian .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “Felix’s Timeline” . felixdennis.com .
- Jump up^ Martin, Douglas (23 June 2014). “Felix Dennis, 67, flamboyant builder or magazine empire, dies” . The New York Times . Retrieved 27 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (19 January 2009). “The OZ trial: John Mortimer’s finest hour” . The Week .
- Jump up^ Cozmic Comics / H. Bunch Associates, Grand Comics Database. Accessed Dec. 28, 2016.
- Jump up^ Sabin, Roger (1996). “Going Underground”. Comics, Comix & Graphic Novels: A History Of Comic Art . London , United Kingdom : Phaidon Press . pp. 92; 94-95; 103-107; 110; 111; 116; 119; 124-126; 128. ISBN 0-7148-3008-9 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Is he the world’s smartest magazine publisher?” Flashes & Flames , 28 August, 2012.
- Jump up^ “Odes to vice and consequences” . Ted.com . 2004.
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2002). A Glass Half Full . Hutchinson . ISBN 0091795338 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2004). Lone Wolf . Hutchinson . ISBN 1448136954 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2006). How to Get Rich . Ebury Press . ISBN 0091912652 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2010). 88 The Narrow Road: A Brief Guide to the Getting of Money . Vermilion . ISBN 0091935490 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2011). How To Make Money . Vermilion . ISBN 1448117690 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2006). When Jack Sued Jill: Nursery Rhymes for Modern Times . Ebury Publishing . ISBN 0091912563 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2007). Island of Dreams: 99 Poems from Mustique . Noctua Press. ISBN 0952838532 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2008). Homeless in my Heart . Ebury Publishing . ISBN 0091928001 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2010). Tales From The Woods . Ebury Publishing . ISBN 0091937671 .
- Jump up^ Dennis, Felix (2013). Love, or a child . Ebury Publishing . ISBN 0091951844 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Burrell Ian (9 September 2013). “Felix Dennis: The poet inside a Sixties radical turned multimillionaire” . The Independent .
- Jump up^ Felix Dennis Appears on the David Frost Programme onYouTube
- Jump up^ “Felix’s Radio 4 – Desert Island Discs” . felixdennis.com .
- Jump up^ Dougary, Ginny (2 April 2008). “Maxim publisher Felix Dennis,” I’ve killed a man ‘ ‘ . The Times Celebrity .
- Jump up^ “Sample entrepreneur and publisher Felix Dennis’s poetry” . BBC Breakfast . 17 June 2013. BBC One .
- Jump up^ Felix Dennis on BBC Breakfast 17 June 2013 onYouTube
- Jump up^ “1097110 – The Heart of England Forest Ltd” . charitycommission.gov.uk . Charity Commission .
- Jump up^ Coughlan, Sean (20 November 2006). “From parties to poetry” . BBC News Magazine .
- Jump up^ Aldred, Jessica (20 September 2013). “Felix Dennis plants his millionth tree” . The Guardian .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Felix Dennis UG Dissertation Prize” , University of Warwick.
- Jump up^ “Garden of Heroes and Villains” . felixdennis.com .
- Jump up^ “Oz magazine publisher Felix Dennis dies” . BBC News . 23 June, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Obituary: Felix Dennis 1947-2014” . The Week . 26 June, 2014.
- Jump up^ The Marcus Morris Award – Roll of Honour, PPA.
- Jump up^ Annual Review 2013 , The Wordsworth Trust, p. 16.
- Jump up^ Byrne, Fergus (2015) More Lives Than One: the Extraordinary Life of Felix Dennis , Random House, pp. 336-37.
- Jump up^ Belsky Award.
- Jump up^ Burrell, Ian (7 April 2014),”The millionaire and the island nation: Eccentric mogul Felix Dennis to buy one laptop for everytime kind in St. Vincent and the Grenadines”,The Independent.