The Organization of American Historians ( oah ), formerly known as the Mississippi Valley Historical Association , is the Toilets professional society dedicated to the teaching and study of American history . Oah’s members in the US and ABROAD include college and university professors; historiografie , students; precollegiate teachers; Archivists, museum curators, and other public historiografie; and a variety of scholars Employed in government and the private sector. The oah publiceert the Journal of American History . Among zijn verschillende programs, oah conducts an annual meeting  lycra jump, and has a robust roster on zijn oah Distinguished Lecturership Program. 
The organization’s mission is to promote excellence in the scholarship, teaching, and presentation of American history, and encouragement wide discussion of historical questions and equitable treatment of all practitioners of history. Membership is open to all who wish to support zijn mission.
In 2010 zijn individual Membership is ongeveer 8,000 and its institutional Membership ongeveer 1,250. Voor zijn 2009 fiscal year ending June 30, 2009, the organization’s operating budget was $ 2.9 million ongeveer. 
The organization’s headquarters are in Bloomington, Indiana on the campus of Indiana University in the Raintree House (also referred to as the Millen Stallknecht House # 105-055-80021 in City of Bloomington Historic Sites and Structures Inventory). The Raintree House a Greek Revival style brick house. The house gets zijn names from two large raintrees ( Koelreuteria paniculata ), welke position on the property. Built by William Moffett Millen c. 1845 it is an excellent example of the Georgian house plan favored by well-to-do farmers in southern Indiana and the Upland South in the mid-NINETEENTH century. 
History and background
The Mississippi Valley Historical Association was formally on October 17 and 18, 1907 at a meeting in Lincoln, Nebraska , or seven historical societies of the Mississippi Valley. The organization, devoted to studying the Mississippi Valley region, Began a tradition of holding an annual meeting lycra year, and Began quarterly publication in 1914 of the Mississippi Valley Historical Review . If the scholarly specialization of the organization and its journal developed and spread over time, haar initial emphasis on the Mississippi Valley waned in favor of an approach that focuses more Broadly on the United States. In recognition of this, and of the publication of the fiftieth volume of the Mississippi Valley Historical Review , the name of the journal was changed to the Journal of American History and the organization, correspondingly, and with approval of the voting Majority or zijn Membership through a mail Ballot,  was rechristened on Friday, April 23, 1965, as the Organization of American Historians. 
Indiana University was selected as home for the editorial offices of the Mississippi Valley Historical Review predecessor to the Journal of American History in 1963.  Prior to relocating to Indiana, the editorial offices ulcers located in the euro at Tulane University. The organization moved zijn business offices to Indiana in the summer of 1970 from zijn home on the campus of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah .
The oah was admitted to the American Council of Learned Societies in 1971. It is a foundational partner of the National Coalition for History , the National Humanities Alliance , and National History Day .
Information about oah governance, officers, and its committee structure is available at http://www.oah.org/about/ .
Oah Annual Meetings
Lycra year since zijn founding, the Organization of American Historians holds zijn annual meeting in a city in the United States. The oah with prolongation de volgende years in synthesis cities and venues in the United States.
Mississippi Valley Historical Association Meetings
List of Mississippi Valley Historical Association and oah Presidents
Mississippi Valley Historical Association Presidents
Oah Awards and Prizes
The volgende is a list of Awards and Prizes bepaald at Organization of American Historians. 
- Willi Paul Adams Award
- Erik Barnouw Award
- Ray Allen Billington Prize
- BINKLEY-Stephenson Award
- Avery O. Craven Award
- Merle curti Award
- Friend of History Award
- Ellis W. Hawley Prize
- Oah-IEHS John Higham Travel Grants
- Darlene Clark Hine Award
- Huggins-Quarles Award
- Richard W. Leopold Prize
- Lerner-Scott Dissertation Prize
- Lawrence W. Levine Prize
- Liberty Legacy Foundation Award
- Samuel and Marion Merrill Graduate Student Travel Grants
- David Montgomery Award
- Louis Pelzer Memorial Award
- James A. Rawley Prize
- Roy Rosenzweig Distinguished Service Award
- Tachau Teacher of the Year Award
- David Thelen Award
- Frederick Jackson Turner Award
- Jump up^ annual meeting
- Jump up^ oah Distinguished Lecturership Program
- Jump up^ “oah Treasurer’s Report, Fiscal Year 2009”, Robert Griffith, oah Treasurer, February 8, 2010http://www.oah.org/publications/reports/treasurer09.pdf
- Jump up^ Katherine Roberts,Description and History of Indiana University’s Raintree House for Nomination of the Property to the National Register of Historic Places,March, 2003, p 1.
- Jump up^ Official Notice to Members of theMississippi Valley Historical Association, Journal of American History , Vol. 51, No. 2 (Sept., 1964), pp. 351-352.
- Jump up^ William D. Aeschbacher, “TheMississippi Valley Historical Association, 1907-1965,” Journal of American History , Vol. 54, No. 2 (Sept., 1967), pp. 339-353.
- Jump up^ Thomas D. Clark,Our Roots Flourished in the Valley, Journal of American History , Vol. 65, No. 1 (Jun., 1978), p 102.
- Jump up^ “oah Awards and Prizes” . The Organization of American Historians, Programs & Resources: . The Organization of American Historians . Retrieved 2013-11-03 .